Sign in to follow this  
mowgli

GPL Lite Skin

As I know it, LtSkin is the racing version of Taffetta.  Our wardrobe are carbon string sails with LtSkin on both sides.  

I have a new this season GPL jib with Lite Skin. So far so good. I have an older main which is laminate with taffeta on both sides. Now in its 6th year it has lasted very well and has held its shape. Seems that a protective layer over a laminate much improves longevity. Lite Skis is especially good as it also provides UV protection. 

The previous jib was a laminate without a protective layer was failing where it was exposed to UV even though it had a protective film on the leech and foot. Still had a fast shape but it was patch after every use.

The one thing I noticed about Lite Skin is that it is fragile to abrasion. Where the cod zero sheets rub on the furled jib the Lite skin is being abraded. Have added a sacrificial patch in this area.

Thanks, this is useful information.

If others have some more information that will be  appreciated

It is about as good as you get for a radial panelled race sail. But has nothing on a well designed membrane sail as far as shape holding. 

It’s all about eliminating the film as the final finish on the sail. Film can’t take the stress. Applying a light skin keeps the film from breaking and allowing  moisture and air into the laminate.