Sign in to follow this  
P_Wop

Isaac

Looks like Isaac is spooling up and heading west to the Leeward Islands.  Anyone with boats between Grenada and Guadeloupe had better keep a weather eye open, and get into the mangroves while there's still room. 

Poor old Dominica looks like a target - first Irma and now Isaac.  Are they related?

• Like 1

Do what you can and then head for the hills! Be safe, this could be as bad as Hugo. 

I was a Hugo victim in Culebra and it was far worse than expected there. 218 MPH on a state of the art digital masthead recording wind unit on a big yacht when the rig hit the water and the paddlewheel blew up. The big indestructo Navy issue anemometer at the old Navy hospital spun its guts out but not before recording 186 KNOTS! Weather service called it a Cat 4 but was well up into Cat 5 territory when it came right smack over Bahia Honda and destroyed or sank about 200 yachts that had come there for its reputation and the best Hurricane Hole on that end of the Caribbean. So much for reputations when a Cat 5 comes knocking...

29 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

it came right smack over Bahia Honda and destroyed or sank about 200 yachts that had come there for its reputation and the best Hurricane Hole on that end of the Caribbean. So much for reputations when a Cat 5 comes knocking...

In the Keyes?

I thought he meant the Keys as well. I loved driving up there on my days off when I lived in Bog Pine Key.

I'm sure both Bahia Hondas are lovely places but neither would be in a hurricane! Probably equally susceptible to major damage. 

Good news for folks in the Antilles especially those in or near Dominica. Isaac has been downgraded to a tropical storm and IS FORECAST TO ENCOUNTER SOME HEAVY SHEAR!

1 hour ago, TQA said:

Good news for folks in the Antilles especially those in or near Dominica. Isaac has been downgraded to a tropical storm and IS FORECAST TO ENCOUNTER SOME HEAVY SHEAR!

Good news indeed.  Wind is now down to 50kts and the system is still slowly dissipating.  However it will be windy and wet for some time still, as the system is a hundred miles across and will be arriving tonight.  TS warnings for Martinique, Dominica, and Guadeloupe, and TS watches for Montserrat, St. Kitts and Nevis, Antigua, Saba and Statia.