Sign in to follow this  
QBF

Worst Sportman of the Year

Moto2 rider Romano Fenati was penalized, then fired after grabbing Stefano Manzi's brake lever during the MotoGP San Marino Grand Prix.
https://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsports/a23066637/fenati-fired-grabs-brake-motorcycle-race/

This clown did this at 140 MPH!

1754234472_RomanoFenati.jpg.ca48bf5dbdbbd1a942180fd96e9a1900.jpg

This weekend, Moto2 racer Romano Fenati made the unfathomably boneheaded decision to reach over and grab competitor Stefano Manzi's brake lever during the San Marino Grand Prix. Immediately, the move earned Fenati a black flag, a disqualification, and a two-race penalty. Now, Fenati has been fired effective immediately.

Fenati's jerk move came as he and Manzi were battling for position in Moto2, the second-tier racing series below MotoGP. Fenati and Manzi were running neck-to-neck when both riders overcooked a corner and briefly went off-track. Both riders maintained control and got back onto the racing line when Fenati reached over to Manzi's motorcycle and squeezed his brake lever in an apparent attempt to cause Manzi to lose control. Manzi stayed upright, but crashed not long after Fenati's meddling.

Immediately, Fenati was penalized by the racing organization, but the full repercussions came today: Fenati's team, Marinelli Snipers, ended his contract effective immediately. In a statement published on Facebook, the team said Fenati's "irresponsible act endangered the life of another rider and can't be apologized in [any] way."

The after-effects didn't end there. Fenati was slated to compete for MV Agusta in Moto2 starting in 2019; today, that company's president, Giovanni Castiglioni, published a post on Instagram stating that he will do everything he can to oppose Fenati joining the team, calling it the "worst" and "saddest" thing he'd ever seen in a motorcycle race.

152776097_MVAgusta.jpg.79574e9612178e5a6e2dffc75a421389.jpg

Who would be stupid enough to think they could get away with it? - every inch of those races is on camera.

• Like 1

That is criminal conduct - I hope he is charged and sent to jail.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, trt131 said:

Almost as bad a sportsperson as Serena

She did toss quite a hissy fit. Now she claims she was treated stricter than men with similar behaviors. Kinda unusual for her, she does not really have a history of being a whiner, in fact just the opposite, although she has been kinda whiney since the baby. It’s tough being a rich mommy athelte wah wah. 

My first expert (semi-pro) class Motocross race,  I got my shift lever kicked at the start line, brake checked in couple of turns, and stuffed (banging right up next to you so you go off the track...) in a few others..  After a few more races I knew who played dirty and learned to get around them with no incidents... but there were some heated discussions in the pit area....  heated discussions, nothing more.....<_<

But this, this is some bizarre shit...   good to see some sanctions on this behavior... this kind of stuff can end careers, worse, lives

3 minutes ago, Point Break said:

She did toss quite a hissy fit. Now she claims she was treated stricter than men with similar behaviors. Kinda unusual for her, she does not really have a history of being a whiner, in fact just the opposite, although she has been kinda whiney since the baby. It’s tough being a rich mommy athelte wah wah. 

PB - you don't think it was a deliberate attempt to put her opponent off her game?  SW doesn't like losing, and this particular match meant a lot - and she was going to go down.

I am happy to consider it premeditated - she floundered with her claim that she was out there fighting for women's rights, that wasn't believable in the slightest - and I am saddened that some have swallowed the story and are supporting the manipulative c*nt.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Recidivist said:

PB - you don't think it was a deliberate attempt to put her opponent off her game?  SW doesn't like losing, and this particular match meant a lot - and she was going to go down.

I am happy to consider it premeditated - she floundered with her claim that she was out there fighting for women's rights, that wasn't believable in the slightest - and I am saddened that some have swallowed the story and are supporting the manipulative c*nt.

Hadn’t thought about that angle. I dunno. On some level, I’m happy to see her lose only because the sisters have become so dominant that it takes the fun out of watching. I stopped watching men’s tennis very much about 20 years ago. The racquets and the athletes turned a finesse strategy game into a booming serve, baseline gunner game. Boring. I miss the net game experts. So women’s tennis was still fun to watch but along came the sisters.....incredible athletes, but it developed into the same boring baseline booming game. I mean Serena’s serve is around 120mph?! What’s interesting about that........

As an old 4.0 tennis player, maybe that’s why I’m really enjoying pickleball now.....besides being not able to run/start/stop like younger pre hip days....it’s all about getting to the net and a strong volley game. I’ve only been playing about 8 weeks...but I’m hooked.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, nacradriver said:

this kind of stuff can end careers

Looks like it did.

1 hour ago, trt131 said:

Are you trying to be funny? Because you failed. One guy tried to make a competitor crash the other yelled at an official. Not even close to the same. 

55 minutes ago, Recidivist said:

She is right. The men are treated differently. Where she is wrong is that it doesn’t matter because she isn’t competing with the men. All the women are treated equal. 

I don’t think she rose to the level of cunt 

2 minutes ago, chinabald said:

She is right. The men are treated differently. Where she is wrong is that it doesn’t matter because she isn’t competing with the men. All the women are treated equal. 

I don’t think she rose to the level of cunt 

Well, double standards are never a good thing.  Look at the shirt thing a week ago.

If I'm right (and I mightn't be) that she put the whole act on to upset Osaka, then tried to fudge it into "I'm fighting for women's rights and all sorts of stuff", while bringing her daughter into it, abusing an umpire who is trying to do his job, and destroying what should have been a magic moment for Osaka - and now claiming it's all because she's a woman - I think that would put her performance at the required level.

26 minutes ago, Recidivist said:

Well, double standards are never a good thing.  Look at the shirt thing a week ago.

If I'm right (and I mightn't be) that she put the whole act on to upset Osaka, then tried to fudge it into "I'm fighting for women's rights and all sorts of stuff", while bringing her daughter into it, abusing an umpire who is trying to do his job, and destroying what should have been a magic moment for Osaka - and now claiming it's all because she's a woman - I think that would put her performance at the required level.

Trying to get into your opponents head and trying to upset the tempo of the game is part of sports. I have zero problem with her doing that. If that’s what she was doing. Obviously Osaka was able to overcome 

At least she didn't try to cry racism.

• Like 1

My friend used to reach over and slap the off switch when we were carving the twisties. Unsettling and very unsportsmanlike. :)

Weird how McEnroes antics are largely forgotten.

• Like 1

Just now, hobot said:

He cracked me up. Llie Nastase was no temper tantrum slouch either. But nobody could come close to John. But I loved his net game......

1 hour ago, Recidivist said:

What's odd throughout all of this is another woman, across the net from Serena, quietly going about her business, not having any issue with the "sexist" umpire...etc.  

I'm not entirely sure I agree that it was done to throw Osaka off her game but SW has done this stuff before and it's always at the same time, when she knows that she doesn't have it what it takes to win so she starts to circle the drain.  She did it in 2009 with Klijsters, she did it in the match with Stosur when Sam was on her game for a year.  It really detracts from the match.  

3 hours ago, trt131 said:

Without Serena many would care less about tennis

42 minutes ago, chum said:

My friend used to reach over and slap the off switch when we were carving the twisties. Unsettling and very unsportsmanlike. :)

I use to reach over and  unplug my girlfriends vibrator 

41 minutes ago, hobot said:

Not forgotten - and not allowed anymore.

McEnroe was fined quite a bit, and was even thrown out of the Australian Open.

44 minutes ago, VWAP said:

I use to reach over and  unplug my girlfriends vibrator 

His old interceptor had been down so many times we called it the contraceptor, because a female wouldn’t give him the time of day on it.

3 hours ago, chum said:

This Fanati dude has reached over and hit the kill switch on this same guy's bike at the start of practice sessions.  They've also kicked each other while racing.  Evidently this had been an ongoing feud for quite a while.

6 hours ago, Grrr... said:

This Fanati dude has reached over and hit the kill switch on this same guy's bike at the start of practice sessions.  They've also kicked each other while racing.  Evidently this had been an ongoing feud for quite a while.

Sounds like something gay going on, 

NTTAWWT

15 hours ago, Point Break said:

have you read the number of times she gets drug tested and hounded by the testers..   there is a great disparity  and no, she has never tested positive .. i've been to quite a few us opens, with the likes of  connors, nastase, mcenroe, bjk, ...   what she did was nothing compared to some of the shit I've seen   the umpire is there to run the match, not control it..  he ruined the match up of two very good players that a lot of people wanted to see and came away with watching a shit show..

Well that didn't take long...

Romano Fenati lost his license and has been banned from racing. After he was banned, he retired from motorcycling racing.

1423158857_RomanoFenati.jpg.d11a09abf6212574134217f3d172b4ba.jpg

Romano Fenati has a history of bad behavior on the track
https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/motogp/romano-fenati-misano-brake-lever/

Disgraced Moto2 rider Romano Fenati has lost his license and been banned from competing in all events by the Italian motorcycling federation for grabbing a rival's brake during the San Marino Grand Prix.

The 22-year-old Fenati had earlier announced he was retiring after being sacked by his Marinelli Snipers team and the Forward Racing team he was due to join next season.
3https://au.news.yahoo.com/disgraced-fenati-loses-licence-pulling-rivals-brake-140126425--spt.html

• Like 1

The world is a little better place this morning.

10 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

he's decided to race  j80's ..

I thouht the winge nuttes our on J105s?                              :)                           

4 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

have you read the number of times she gets drug tested and hounded by the testers..   there is a great disparity  and no, she has never tested positive .. i've been to quite a few us opens, with the likes of  connors, nastase, mcenroe, bjk, ...   what she did was nothing compared to some of the shit I've seen   the umpire is there to run the match, not control it..  he ruined the match up of two very good players that a lot of people wanted to see and came away with watching a shit show..

leave the drug testing alone, remember Lance Armstrong,he would never cheat, always crapping on about drug testers too!

4 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

Do you know if she is getting tested for frequently etc than the other top tier tennis athletes?

This has been added to the report in the OP -

Update, Sept. 11, 2018, 11:00AM: This article was originally published on September 10th. Today, Jalopnik reportsthat, in addition to the other penalties described below, Fenati could be investigated for attempted murder: Italian consumer-rights group Codacons has announced that it has reported Fenati to local prosecutors, asking authorities to investigate "any relevant criminal offenses, including that of attempted murder."

• Like 1

I wondered about that - do the Italians have any jurisdiction in San Marino?

They brought criminal charges against the team when Senna was killed at San Marino but IIRC they never went anywhere.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

I wondered about that - do the Italians have any jurisdiction in San Marino?

They brought criminal charges against the team when Senna was killed at San Marino but IIRC they never went anywhere.

That miscarriage of justice where they hounded Senna's crew for over a decade was criminal.

On 9/11/2018 at 12:11 PM, Snaggletooth said:

I thouht the winge nuttes our on J105s?                              :)                           

We are, but J105's don't have brakes.

• Like 1

On September 11, 2018 at 11:27 AM, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

When professional tennis, both men's and women's, entered the Olympics for the first time the drug schedule as well as the testing protocols merged with that of the WADA.

The testing protocols are rigorous and by the book...albeit with the odd strange happening. A few years back, several ATP players successfully sued in a case where they tested positive for a drug they knew nothing about. It was sourced to a creme that contained a banned substance. The creme was administered by the on court ATP trainers to the players, who had no idea. Go figure! As far as frequency of testing, at least one WTA player recently got into trouble for supposedly making herself unavailable. She appealed successfully. Not sure where you get your info, but every player is welcome to lodge any complaint they want with the independent arbitration vs WADA/ATP/WTA/ITF. If Serena's got a problem, she can take it to the judge.

As for the 'good ol days' of McEnroe and Nastase, both the ATP and WTA changed their rules over two decades ago. The warning/point/game/match 4 strike system has been applied every week, all over the world, to men and women, at the Futures/Challenger/ATP/WTA Tour and Grand Slam levels. We are talking about thousands of players every single week, where probably 5-10% of each draw leave with some kind of minor fine each tournament. The odd time, someone gets the boot. It's part of the game.

Oh, one more thing.

The president of the USTA, who along with the WTA, administered a $17,000 fine to Serena is an African American woman.

Since 2012, Serena has been tested by the US Anti-Doping Agency a total of 37 times.  Database

Just take a gander at the number of tests any other women have been subjected to.  Kinda surprising.

1 minute ago, Bus Driver said:

Since 2012, Serena has been tested by the US Anti-Doping Agency a total of 37 times.  Database

Just take a gander at the number of tests any other women have been subjected to.  Kinda surprising.

The USADA that you cited is NOT the governing body of the ATP/WTA/ITF. Your cite also mentions it will not yield data from other agencies. Presumably the USADA would have tested her for A) Olympic appearance as an American athlete B) Representing the U.S. In Fed Cup competition.

11 minutes ago, fufkin said:

The USADA that you cited is NOT the governing body of the ATP/WTA/ITF. Your cite also mentions it will not yield data from other agencies. Presumably the USADA would have tested her for A) Olympic appearance as an American athlete B) Representing the U.S. In Fed Cup competition.

Did I say it was?

39 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

Did I say it was?

No. But the USADA has no jurisdiction over anything to do with her other than when she represents the USTA in a foreign competition, that being one of only two...Olympics and Fed cup, which probably accounts for less than %1 of her total career matches.

If there is a deviation in testing norms from the USADA, again she can take it up w the judge.

But I'd be surprised if the deviation extended to the relevant agencies,  the WADA/WTA which has real jurisdiction in hers and every other of her competitor's  careers.

Bus Driver, this is starting to be a bus man's holiday, so I'll just leave it at that. Peace.

Edit: Bus Driver--- I was wrong on the %1...the USADA will test in compliance and on behalf of WADA/WTA on American athletes competing on home soil in ITF/WTA tour events. Still, when averaged w all other international tests, she's not above any other major players.

http://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/id/24052302/wimbledon-2018-how-some-drug-testing-figures-really-pan-tennis

On 9/11/2018 at 11:27 AM, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

From https://metro.co.uk/2018/07/01/roger-federer-opens-drugs-testing-amid-serena-williams-controversy-7674743/

Williams has been tested five times this year – more than any other American tennis player – and was involved in a confrontation with a US Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) official who turned up at her home 12 hours outside of the allotted hour testing time.

Federer claimed he has been tested seven times during the past month – including at tournaments in Stuttgart and Halle – and he pointed out the remarkable variation between the amounts of tests carried out from place to place.

From https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/09/sports/tennis/serena-williams-umpire-carlos-ramos-us-open.html

"Richard Ings, another former chair umpire from Australia, said Mouratoglou signaled twice "to ensure Serena saw it." "No way Carlos could have let that slide," Ings said. "He had to stop it, and stop it he did. I thought Carlos was brilliant, courageous and calm."

And Serena's coach wasn't the only one called for coaching during a match at this US Open:

From Tennis.com:

Dominika Cibulkova, who lost to Madison Keys in the fourth round, was called for a coaching violation during her third-round upset of fourth seed Angelique Kerber. "

Penalized for breaking a racquet:

From tennis.com:

"When she demolished her racquet after the fifth game of the second set—a game in which she surrendered the break of serve she held—Serena had to know there would be consequences. Some 14 men and four other women in the tournament were penalized and fined for the same transgression, including Djokovic in the first round and Stan Wawrinka in the second.

And from the rule book:

Players shall not at any time directly or indirectly verbally abuse any official, opponent, sponsor, spectator or other person within the precincts of the tournament site. Violation of this section shall subject a player to a fine up to $20,000 for each violation. In addition, if such violation occurs during a match (including the warm-up), the player shall be penalised in accordance with the Point Penalty Schedule hereinafter set forth. In circumstances that are flagrant and particularly injurious to the success
of a tournament, or are singularly egregious, a single violation of this Section shall also constitute the Major Offence of "Aggravated Behaviour" and shall be subject to the additional penalties hereinafter set forth. For the purposes of this Rule, verbal abuse is defined as a statement about an official, opponent, sponsor, spectator or other person that implies dishonesty or is derogatory, insulting or otherwise abusive.

Calling Ramos a thief and liar is an insinuation that he is dishonest.

Slapping a buddy's kill switch at a traffic stop is always good for a laugh,  but the crazy part about the incident is the Moto2 bikes (like the MotoGP bikes) have a special guard in front of the brake lever to protect it from getting hit in the event of some bikes coming together (if you 'run into' another machine with your right handlebar end you can instantly dynamite a very strong set of brakes and cause a much bigger crash) - so,  the guy had to reach IN BETWEEN the lever and the guard,  at speed.  yiikes.

On 9/10/2018 at 7:38 PM, Point Break said:

Hadn’t thought about that angle. I dunno. On some level, I’m happy to see her lose only because the sisters have become so dominant that it takes the fun out of watching. I stopped watching men’s tennis very much about 20 years ago. The racquets and the athletes turned a finesse strategy game into a booming serve, baseline gunner game. Boring. I miss the net game experts. So women’s tennis was still fun to watch but along came the sisters.....incredible athletes, but it developed into the same boring baseline booming game. I mean Serena’s serve is around 120mph?! What’s interesting about that........

As an old 4.0 tennis player, maybe that’s why I’m really enjoying pickleball now.....besides being not able to run/start/stop like younger pre hip days....it’s all about getting to the net and a strong volley game. I’ve only been playing about 8 weeks...but I’m hooked.

I'm not a Serena fan. I still remember her threatening to cram her racket down a lineswoman's throat. I can just imagine if anyone every talks to HER daughter like that. Nevertheless, I thought the ref was WAY out of line in penalizing her a full game. I hope he gets slapped down. The match was good and didn't need to end that way.

Glad to hear you are enjoying pickleball though! That's a whole lot of fun. If I can get my Achilles to heal I will be playing again. I still play tennis too, although I'm too slow to be any good. 

16 minutes ago, wallcfa said:

Glad to hear you are enjoying pickleball though! That's a whole lot of fun. If I can get my Achilles to heal I will be playing again. I still play tennis too, although I'm too slow to be any good. 

I really missed tennis for years but pickleball has completely relieved me of that longing. its probably good I can't play both. Anytime I ever tried to play multiple racquet sports I sucked at all of them. Racquetball and tennis as an example. I started with racquetball for years and then picked up tennis. The swing and wrist stuff was so different that I just had to pick one. I picked tennis. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to play both pickleball and tennis at the same time either.

Good luck on the achilles. Thats one injury/condition I have never had....so far........

• Like 1

Real Dickhead move by Fenati and now he has thrown his career away at the ripe age of 22 - what a shame !

1 hour ago, wallcfa said:

Nevertheless, I thought the ref was WAY out of line in penalizing her a full game. I hope he gets slapped down. The match was good and didn't need to end that way.

The rules are:

1 warning = no penalty

2 warnings = 1 point penalty

3 warnings = 1 game penalty

Her coach admitted that he was coaching from the stands.  Not allowed at Grand Slam events.  He repeatedly made signals so it was easier for the ref to figure out what was happening.  The player is responsible for their coaches actions.

Break your racquet - pretty much automatic.

Calling the ref a "thief" and a "liar":  Under Article III, Section P of the Grand Slam Rule Book, "verbal abuse" is defined as "a statement about an official, opponent, sponsor, spectator or other person that implies dishonesty or is derogatory, insulting or otherwise abusive."

The ref did his job.  Serena earned the penalties.

• Like 2

I remember hearing about two boats back in the 80s.  If I remember right, Valkeri and Golden Eagle?  Both fighting for room at the mark. A crew from one boat, jumps on, grabs the wheel, and then yells,,,,There, we have room!!!!

That at least demonstrate a degree of style, not just dickheadedness.