Sign in to follow this  
DanimalNZ

elliot 780 - solo

whats views on converting an E 780 for solo work?

have any heard of retro fits of canting keels (including appropriate structure mods)?

2 hours ago, DanimalNZ said:

whats views on converting an E 780 for solo work?

have any heard of retro fits of canting keels (including appropriate structure mods)?

Danimal,

Why go to all the work and fucking about and going to a canting keel ?

Why not just build a deeper or heavier keel and keep the old Keel for fully crewed racing ? 

By beefing up the centre board case with bigger bulkheads would be cheaper than trying to put in a canting keel or you could just add water ballast. 

Pulpit 

Converting?   What needs converting?    Add a tiller lock and autopilot and go sailing.  

• Like 1

Yep tiller lock , autopilot and practice . If you are deadset on a canter Chris Sayers old mini 650 is for sale in Auckland 

Yeah, I saw that, looks nice, damn long sail back to WA,

The minis look nice, and quick 

The boat and the shipping would probably work out about the  same as converting  a 780 to canting unless of course you did it all yourself 

Seems to me a mini could be more fun, and great for the coast over here

Easier to manage 1 person also

I thought there was a mini 650 for sale recently in WA - maybe a Dix? Ah, here it is. https://www.boatsales.com.au/boats/details/2013-MINI-TRANSAT-65/SSE-AD-4738354/?cr=0&psq=(((Service%3D[Boatsales]%26BoatType%3D[Sail])%26Make%3D[MINI TRANSAT])%26(((SiloType%3D[Dealer used boats]|SiloType%3D[Dealer new boats])|SiloType%3D[Private used boats])|SiloType%3D[Demo and near new boats]))&pso=0&pss=AdvertAge There's also one just popped up for sale (again) in Melbourne, but I can't remember which site its on - Wild Child. Edit, found it https://www.boatsales.com.au/boats/details/2003-Custom-Ross-Owen-Design/SSE-AD-5631919/?cr=8&psq=(((Service%3D[Boatsales]%26BoatType%3D[Sail])%26LengthInMeters%3Drange[6..7])%26(((SiloType%3D[Dealer used boats]|SiloType%3D[Dealer new boats])|SiloType%3D[Private used boats])|SiloType%3D[Demo and near new boats]))&pso=0&pss=AdvertAge

Otherwise a 780 should be ok single handed, I single hand my E7 a bit, only drama is getting the main up without a tiler pilot, I just hang off a mooring which keeps me roughly head to wind. I haven't figured out how to gybe the (symmetrical) spinnaker in anything above really light conditions, but they're beautifully balanced boats, and behave nicely with a line tied to the tiller.

All good options.

We have done 2 handed races in an E780, just have to go smaller jibs way earlier than when you have 6 bodies in the side, but was quick downwind, and that was a 7 foot draught boat!

As for the minis, we had one that was going to set the world in fire here once in a major regatta before heading to mini transat events, couldn't beat the E7's around the track!!! Don't believe the hype! 

i sail my young rocket solo. if your just out for a day sail, you can lock off the tiller with a coule of loops of rope to hold the tiller in the center whilst you pull sails up, otherwise buy a tillerpilot. i picked one up on ebay for $250, works like a dream. kites up and down can get a bit hectic but as long as you have room to do it. new tiller pilots can come with remor=te control so you could point up or down from the foredeck...  everything can be done with a bit of forethought. i wouldnt bother with canting keel.. run a smaller jib, get your reefing lines in and sorted from the start. 

• Like 1