Medicine Man

Chartering in Croatia

Recommended Posts

Want to charter a sailboat in Croatia for 10 days in early summer, looking for information, has anyone chartered there. Interested in what charter companies are good and reasonable and where are the best areas to sail

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been doing research do to the same thing.  It seems that Split and Trogir are big charter bases.  It sounds like you cant go wrong cruising in that area.  I'm trying to go from Split to Dubrovnik one-way (10 days would be perfect).  I have found a few companies that will allow that for an extra one-way charge. 

I was hoping people who have actually done it would tell us what charter company they used and if they would recommend them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've done Split to Dubrovnik one-way in 12 days, which was an easy pace and allowed for a zigzag course to visit all the islands and spots we wanted to. Moorings/Sunsail, so not the cheapest, but reputable and reliable. Beware charges for marinas and even anchoring in some places- more expensive than you would expect. Maybe they need the extra money to buy vowels for their language. But the great food makes up for it- and you always know who ate the black risotto...  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey,

Yeah, it's a nice journey, and not too intensive if you do it in 10-12 days (allows for lunch / swimming stops in any of the cute bays you fancy as you meander down. :)

Most Charter Companies available on our website would charge you a one-way fee (typically 300 euros to pay for a skipper + fuel to take it back to the start-point). You'd also have to charter it for the full 2 weeks, starting on a Saturday.  The skipper can get it back up to Split in a day on the motor from Dubrovnik, but that means you needs to be off the yacht / cat by 09:00 on the Friday morning.

We (plainsailing.com) don't do a bad job of getting happy customers (check out our reviews on feefo, where we average 4.9) but obviously there are other Charter Companies out there... :)

PS. the other option from Split (especially with 10 days) is to head north into the Kornati - worth a look if you're keen to get off the beaten track.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, adi-plainsailing said:

We (plainsailing.com) don't do a bad job of getting happy customers (check out our reviews on feefo, where we average 4.9)

Hmm. I just asked on your website's chat thing if you'd sell me a new husband, but you wouldn't even charter me one.   Poor show :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

Hmm. I just asked on your website's chat thing if you'd sell me a new husband, but you wouldn't even charter me one.   Poor show :(

You should definitely charter before you buy. My impression is that you are rather particular.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ajax said:

You should definitely charter before you buy. My impression is that you are rather particular.

Indeed. Obviously, I want a tall mast and clean hull lines, but responsive handling is very important too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

Indeed. Obviously, I want a tall mast and clean hull lines, but responsive handling is very important too

Well, that rules me out. I'm on my 2nd owner. My obsolete design has excessive overhangs, a low aspect rig and an SA/D of like, 11.56.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 5:40 AM, Medicine Man said:

Want to charter a sailboat in Croatia for 10 days in early summer, looking for information, has anyone chartered there. Interested in what charter companies are good and reasonable and where are the best areas to sail

 

Did you end up going to Croatia?  I would be very interested in what company you used, what islands you enjoyed, what you would recommend or do differently.  I appreciate any info! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

didn't do the Croatia charter last year as the other couple had to drop out but we are in the process of planning to do it June of 2020. Still checking out charter companies as we want to charter for 10 days as nearly all companies only  charter for 7 or 14 days but when you lose the first day by having to stay in the marina after you get checked out and provision and lose the last day as you have to have the boat back by 9am. it cuts your cruising time down. Also  looking into a one way charter but they really charge a lot extra for a one way,  The intension is to sail between the Split area to Dubrovnik and back or visa versa. What are you planning, message me.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In peak season you might struggle for 10 day charters, but in low season it is possible.  You can also pay a little extra (c. €150) to get checked-in early, so you can be off and on your way from 14:00 on the first Saturday - still not perfect, but it does allow you to beat the masses (and stay ahead of them for the week).  You do generally need to be back in the marina by 17.00 on the final Friday though, and fully disembarked by 09:00.

One way fees are indeed exorbitant, though some companies charge more than others - some of the Charter Companies we work with charge €450 for Split-DUbrovnik, and some charge as much as €900 - it seems to be whatever they can get away with!?

We're already taking bookings for 2020, with live availability on our site for some but not all - if you know what you're looking for then get in touch and I can sort you out a good deal. :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/24/2019 at 6:07 AM, Medicine Man said:

didn't do the Croatia charter last year as the other couple had to drop out but we are in the process of planning to do it June of 2020. Still checking out charter companies as we want to charter for 10 days as nearly all companies only  charter for 7 or 14 days but when you lose the first day by having to stay in the marina after you get checked out and provision and lose the last day as you have to have the boat back by 9am. it cuts your cruising time down. Also  looking into a one way charter but they really charge a lot extra for a one way,  The intension is to sail between the Split area to Dubrovnik and back or visa versa. What are you planning, message me.

I was originally planning on chartering in May but work screwed that up so now we are planning to go in the second half of September.  I completely agree that the charter process consumes the first and last day of the charter but I don't blame the charter companies because they need the time to properly clean and prepare the boats.  Its more of just a reality that isn't obvious to you when you are first planning a charter. 

That said, I wouldn't pay extra for early departure.  Instead, I would just make sure all your paperwork is in order beforehand and get there when they first open so your departure process gets started as soon as possible.  They do their best, they are just always busy that day.  As far as returning, I have never returned by Friday.  I have always been told 9:00 am Saturdays is fine so I usually choose to stay on anchor around the corner so we can enjoy our last night (I typically wake up with the sun when i'm on a boat so I still have a few hours to get back).

I think I have given up on the Split-Dubrovnik one-way charter.  Several companies offer one way options but you will typically have to disembark even earlier, hire a captain to return it, and rent the boat while it is being returned.  These are all reasonable charges, and certainly with the budget, but I decided that if i'm paying for the boat I would like to be sailing it.  I was hoping to find a company that would allow different charters to go one-way back and forth and thereby avoiding the return fees.  Or even better, get a discount for returning a boat to a more popular departure destination.  I have not been able to find that so far.  (with the exception of latesail (www.latesail.com)in Greece during certain times of year you can get a discount for sailing back to athens)

I am now planning to sail for 10 days out of split and return to split.  There are plenty of islands and new cities to see.  Dubrovnik will have to wait until next time.

As far as companies I have been looking at: plain sailing (plainsailing.com), Sailing Europe (www.sailingeurope.com), and/or Kiriacoulis (www.kiriacoulis.com).

I would appreciate if people would share others websites.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

in some places like Pula the charter companies try to get you back in on friday instead of saturday morning, there is a simple reason for that : diver comes to check if you have hit any rock, diver is more expensive during weekend and in view of numbers, diver might not even be able to check all yachts on saturday morning before next charters start, so they want as many as possible in on friday afternoon to be checked. But was no problem, me being just the skipper for some wealthy mid-twentysomething kids gave them the option : either anchor around the corner and move in saturday morning, or go back to base friday 5pm and next move to the bar for free booze as that is the bait ... free booze ...guess what they decided ?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Albatros said:

in some places like Pula the charter companies try to get you back in on friday instead of saturday morning, there is a simple reason for that : diver comes to check if you have hit any rock, diver is more expensive during weekend and in view of numbers, diver might not even be able to check all yachts on saturday morning before next charters start, so they want as many as possible in on friday afternoon to be checked. But was no problem, me being just the skipper for some wealthy mid-twentysomething kids gave them the option : either anchor around the corner and move in saturday morning, or go back to base friday 5pm and next move to the bar for free booze as that is the bait ... free booze ...guess what they decided ?

That's a good trick.  It reminds me of when I was a kid fishing with my father.  My brother and I never wanted to leave so my father would always say, "Lets go catch a pizza!"  That usually got us packing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 9:17 PM, Tharsheblows said:

I was originally planning on chartering in May but work screwed that up so now we are planning to go in the second half of September.  I completely agree that the charter process consumes the first and last day of the charter but I don't blame the charter companies because they need the time to properly clean and prepare the boats.  Its more of just a reality that isn't obvious to you when you are first planning a charter. 

That said, I wouldn't pay extra for early departure.  Instead, I would just make sure all your paperwork is in order beforehand and get there when they first open so your departure process gets started as soon as possible.  They do their best, they are just always busy that day.  As far as returning, I have never returned by Friday.  I have always been told 9:00 am Saturdays is fine so I usually choose to stay on anchor around the corner so we can enjoy our last night (I typically wake up with the sun when i'm on a boat so I still have a few hours to get back).

I think I have given up on the Split-Dubrovnik one-way charter.  Several companies offer one way options but you will typically have to disembark even earlier, hire a captain to return it, and rent the boat while it is being returned.  These are all reasonable charges, and certainly with the budget, but I decided that if i'm paying for the boat I would like to be sailing it.  I was hoping to find a company that would allow different charters to go one-way back and forth and thereby avoiding the return fees.  Or even better, get a discount for returning a boat to a more popular departure destination.  I have not been able to find that so far.  (with the exception of latesail (www.latesail.com)in Greece during certain times of year you can get a discount for sailing back to athens)

I am now planning to sail for 10 days out of split and return to split.  There are plenty of islands and new cities to see.  Dubrovnik will have to wait until next time.

As far as companies I have been looking at: plain sailing (plainsailing.com), Sailing Europe (www.sailingeurope.com), and/or Kiriacoulis (www.kiriacoulis.com).

I would appreciate if people would share others websites.

 

http://www.burinyachtcharter.com/en/

I've used these guys a couple of times and they've been great.  They have a base near Split, and if you don't want a big boat then their Elan 350s are a lot more fun than most of the shitters's you'll charter.

First time we turned up in a taxi, and when they realised we didn't have a car they drove us to the super market.  Told us not to bother with the usual fuel birth shit fight and lent us a trolley and a couple of cans to fill up with instead.  Just really friendly and helpful guys.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 9:29 AM, European Bloke said:

http://www.burinyachtcharter.com/en/

I've used these guys a couple of times and they've been great.  They have a base near Split, and if you don't want a big boat then their Elan 350s are a lot more fun than most of the shitters's you'll charter.

First time we turned up in a taxi, and when they realised we didn't have a car they drove us to the super market.  Told us not to bother with the usual fuel birth shit fight and lent us a trolley and a couple of cans to fill up with instead.  Just really friendly and helpful guys.

Thank you.  That's exactly what I was looking for. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Here is a short video of out 7 day bareboat charter out of Split.  We flew into Dubrovnik and dove to Split because it was cheaper and we wanted to see Dubrovnik.  We chartered a Beneteau First 45 through Sailing Europe but the actual provider company was Sailing Forever.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Tharsheblows said:

 

Here is a short video of out 7 day bareboat charter out of Split.  We flew into Dubrovnik and dove to Split because it was cheaper and we wanted to see Dubrovnik.  We chartered a Beneteau First 45 through Sailing Europe but the actual provider company was Sailing Forever.

Thanks -- that's great!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/25/2019 at 8:12 PM, Tharsheblows said:

 

Here is a short video of out 7 day bareboat charter out of Split.  We flew into Dubrovnik and dove to Split because it was cheaper and we wanted to see Dubrovnik.  We chartered a Beneteau First 45 through Sailing Europe but the actual provider company was Sailing Forever.

Thanks for posting- you’ve just brought an old vacation dream to the fore. Can you advise what they required certificate-wise for US sailors? I see the standard is RYA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can see a brief list of the qualifications needed here, or the complete list from the Croatian ministry here.

US Sailors typically need an ASA / USSA qualification (sadly USCG aren't accepted in Croatia).  The basic licence allows you to take a boat upto 30 Gross Tonnes in weight, which basically means any yacht, and upto a 42 foot catamaran.   You also need a VHF Licence to sail bareboat in Croatia.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, adi-plainsailing said:

You can see a brief list of the qualifications needed here, or the complete list from the Croatian ministry here.

US Sailors typically need an ASA / USSA qualification (sadly USCG aren't accepted in Croatia).  The basic licence allows you to take a boat upto 30 Gross Tonnes in weight, which basically means any yacht, and upto a 42 foot catamaran.   You also need a VHF Licence to sail bareboat in Croatia.  

 

Thanks Adi.  I read the Croatian Ministry detail, and it specifies one of these requirements below.

Now my question is, to those who can advise about US courses, what is the quickest/easiest/least-expensive way to procure one of these licenses?  I'm always interested in learning, but I have neither the time nor the money to spend the equivalent cost of the holiday itself in taking sailing courses. I have owned a 34' cruising sailboat for 32 years and am a fairly proficient coastal cruiser. 

Any advice from those in the know?

Most basic requirement (limit 6nm from Croatian main or island coast):  Basic Coastal Cruising (ASA) or Basic Keelboat (USSA)

Up to 30GT: Bareboat Chartering (ASA) or  Basic Cruising (USSA) or Bareboat Cruising (USSA) or  International Sailing License and Credentials (NauticEd Intl Sailing Edu)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We're based in the UK, so I'm afraid I can't help.  The most common licence we see from US Sailors tends to be the ASA one (module 104, etc) but that's about as helpful as I can be.  :/

Depending on how often you're planning to head across to the Med, it might make sense to just hire a skipper - it's usually between €1050 - €1300 for the week (plus meals), with the benefit that he will know all the best places to moor up for the night, will park it up in the tight marinas, and also will allow you to sip your G&T whilst lying in the sunshine in peace! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, adi-plainsailing said:

with the benefit that he will know all the best places to moor up for the night, will park it up in the tight marinas

While these are admittedly big benes, they are offset by the loss of the adventure of doing it ourselves.  Let's see if anyone stateside can offer insight as to whether one of the above licenses can be obtained expediently.

Thanks for your help Adi.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ha ha - absolutely I get that it loses a little bit of adventure - was just looking to put a bit of a shine on it for you. :)

Hopefully someone else can help... :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:

While these are admittedly big benes, they are offset by the loss of the adventure of doing it ourselves.  Let's see if anyone stateside can offer insight as to whether one of the above licenses can be obtained expediently. expeditiously :D

Thanks for your help Adi.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, chester said:

 

Well, Chester, I actually began to type the latter word but switched to the former.  Having looked them up just now, both fit my intended use - "quickly and efficiently"

:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it's ok, i seem to have woken up in spelling nazi mode...which is odd because i'm not terribly good at it...maybe i'm a narcissist! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went sailing in Croatia this summer and rented through a company called Waypoint, out of Dubrovnik but I believe they have bases elsewhere.
All in all this part of the trip wasn't a brilliant experience and unfortunately I can't really recommend Waypoint. Just a heads-up for you. I can go into greater detail on my experience if you want.

We went in early september and the weather was great. A bit hot in the mid-day sun but that's what the enormous biminis are for. We could have used some more wind a few of the days though. The country is fantastic nature-wise, the water is extremely clear and the people we met were very friendly. Mind you, we stayed mostly off the beaten path. The most boats we shared an anchorage (or small harbor) with was three or four I think. Needless to say, off the beaten path the locals didn't speak a great deal of English but that didn't seem to matter to them, nor did it to us. Security wasn't a problem, I don't think we closed the companionway a single time during the whole week including at night and when we went ashore. Then again, the most valuable thing any of us had with us were phones, wallets and passports and those came with us.

We rented an Elan Impression 384 which cost us around 1700 euros for the week, including cleaning, dingy+outboard, bedding, towels and 75 gb of wifi. During our week we visited Tor, Mljet, Lastovo, Korcula and the big peninsula just north-west of Dubrovnik.

I definitely recommend going and I'm for sure going to do it again, but I'll be using a different charter company.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Tylo said:

I went sailing in Croatia this summer and rented through a company called Waypoint, out of Dubrovnik but I believe they have bases elsewhere.
All in all this part of the trip wasn't a brilliant experience and unfortunately I can't really recommend Waypoint. Just a heads-up for you. I can go into greater detail on my experience if you want.

We went in early september and the weather was great. A bit hot in the mid-day sun but that's what the enormous biminis are for. We could have used some more wind a few of the days though. The country is fantastic nature-wise, the water is extremely clear and the people we met were very friendly. Mind you, we stayed mostly off the beaten path. The most boats we shared an anchorage (or small harbor) with was three or four I think. Needless to say, off the beaten path the locals didn't speak a great deal of English but that didn't seem to matter to them, nor did it to us. Security wasn't a problem, I don't think we closed the companionway a single time during the whole week including at night and when we went ashore. Then again, the most valuable thing any of us had with us were phones, wallets and passports and those came with us.

We rented an Elan Impression 384 which cost us around 1700 euros for the week, including cleaning, dingy+outboard, bedding, towels and 75 gb of wifi. During our week we visited Tor, Mljet, Lastovo, Korcula and the big peninsula just north-west of Dubrovnik.

I definitely recommend going and I'm for sure going to do it again, but I'll be using a different charter company.

Thanks for the tip and encouragement Tylo.

Having looked a bit at the various license options in the US that meet requirements for Croatia, it appears to me that a NauticEd SLC may be the least expensive. Still not cheap:  $175 for the online course materials, then the kicker is a likely 6-hour on-the-water assessment by an instructor in my region that probably ends up costing $600 for the day.  So that could increase the cost of the boat-charter by 40-45%.  Something that the cheapskate in me would have to consider a bit.  But the adventure is appealing...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Israel Hands said:

Any advice from those in the know?

Most basic requirement (limit 6nm from Croatian main or island coast):  Basic Coastal Cruising (ASA) or Basic Keelboat (USSA)

Up to 30GT: Bareboat Chartering (ASA) or  Basic Cruising (USSA) or Bareboat Cruising (USSA) or  International Sailing License and Credentials (NauticEd Intl Sailing Edu)

I'll answer your question.  ASA 101 and USSA Basic Keelboat are essentially the same course (I've done both).  You could pick up the ASA book second-hand, read through it and sit for the written part.  The on-the-water part should be easy for you, too.

Same goes for ASA 103/104.  I would grab the book just because it will be specific to what their test requires.

As for the VHF licensure, that's a tricky one.  I have an FCC General Radiotelephone license, and that was good enough to charter a German boat in the Baltic last year.  IIRC, the FCC will still issue a VHF license (costs some money), but I don't know how much weight that carries in other countries.  It seems what they are really looking for is either their own country's license (Germany) or the UK/RYA VHF license.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/29/2019 at 5:23 PM, Israel Hands said:

Thanks for posting- you’ve just brought an old vacation dream to the fore. Can you advise what they required certificate-wise for US sailors? I see the standard is RYA

I took ASA 101, 102, and 104 (and 114 if you want to charter a catamaran).  Then I took those certifications and got an IPC (International Proficiency Certificate) for Mediterranean waters from ASA.  Then I got a Restricted Radiotelephone Operator permit from the FCC.

These credentials have worked for me in Italy, Greece and Croatia so far.  (**does anyone know if an IPC for Mediterranean waters would work in Sweden or England or other non-Mediterranean European waters?)

If you own a boat and have tons of hours of experience you might be able to convince a company to just let you read the book and take the ASA tests without the extra time on the water.  I have heard of this happening but it may have been "unauthorized" deal through friends. 

Also, if you are a sailor, most of the information is pretty basic but might be worth reviewing anyway just because, as you likely know,  you can get yourself into trouble many ways.

 

On the contrary, I have friends who are very experienced sailors who have opted for hiring a captain.  The captains are typically very fun people and provided the added advantage of knowing exactly where the best coves, restaurants, and bars are located.  In fact, on the first night when we arrived in Milna (without a captain) there was a great open flame BBQ-style restaurant on the quay but we couldn't go because it was all booked up by the various captains for their charters.  Their knowledge can make the trip easy and fun.  That said, I prefer to do it all myself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Tylo said:

I went sailing in Croatia this summer and rented through a company called Waypoint, out of Dubrovnik but I believe they have bases elsewhere.
All in all this part of the trip wasn't a brilliant experience and unfortunately I can't really recommend Waypoint. Just a heads-up for you. I can go into greater detail on my experience if you want.

We went in early september and the weather was great. A bit hot in the mid-day sun but that's what the enormous biminis are for. We could have used some more wind a few of the days though. The country is fantastic nature-wise, the water is extremely clear and the people we met were very friendly. Mind you, we stayed mostly off the beaten path. The most boats we shared an anchorage (or small harbor) with was three or four I think. Needless to say, off the beaten path the locals didn't speak a great deal of English but that didn't seem to matter to them, nor did it to us. Security wasn't a problem, I don't think we closed the companionway a single time during the whole week including at night and when we went ashore. Then again, the most valuable thing any of us had with us were phones, wallets and passports and those came with us.

We rented an Elan Impression 384 which cost us around 1700 euros for the week, including cleaning, dingy+outboard, bedding, towels and 75 gb of wifi. During our week we visited Tor, Mljet, Lastovo, Korcula and the big peninsula just north-west of Dubrovnik.

I definitely recommend going and I'm for sure going to do it again, but I'll be using a different charter company.

Just curious, what was your favorite island/city? 

Regarding the charter company, I chartered with Sailing Forever that was brokered through the Sailingeurope website.  This one was by far the best service and quality boat I have chartered. 

In the past, with other companies, I have always had a list of issues with the boat or things about the service that I was less than impressed with but I also always look for the best deal I can find so that usually means boats with a few issues.  (so maybe I'm getting what I pay for).

Just curious though, what was bad about your experience with Waypoint?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Waypoint tend to have an older fleet - I think the Elan 384 that they have in Dubrovnik is from 2006, so I'm afraid there are bound to be a few niggles boatwise - though like you say, it's kind of priced in.  The yachts are in use for 20 - 22 weeks of the year, which means it's been rented out c. 260 times in it's lifetime - and not always to the most careful of charterers...!?

SaiingEurope do a good job, but it would be remiss of me not to mention PlainSailing.com - as part-owner I can tell you we are all about the customer experience, and we ONLY work with the best / most reliable charter companies in the Med (there is honestly nothing worse than being on the other end of the phone to a customer complaining about their holiday, so we do everything we possibly can to make sure that simply doesn't happen!?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Israel Hands said:

Thanks for the tip and encouragement Tylo.

 

No problems!

8 hours ago, Tharsheblows said:

Just curious, what was your favorite island/city?

Favorite island is hard to say between Mljet and Lastovo. Northern Mljet had some fantastic islands to cruise around which was really beautiful. Western Lastovo was similar and really nice too. The downside to these areas is that they are national parks and require permits to anchor/use mooring balls. If memory serves me right we would have had to pay 80 euros on Mljet for our 38 ft boat for the night - a little too pricey for us, so we used a restaurant mooring there instead. For anyone who doesn't know, a restaurant mooring is a dock owned by a restaurant where you can moor for free if you eat at the restaurant that night. Most provide shore power and you can use their toilets until the restaurant closes. Some even provide water to refill your tanks or showers. We spent about 50 euros on a grilled squid dinner and beer for the three of us instead of paying 80 euros to anchor.
On Lastovo the permit-enforcers drove around in an unmarked RIB looking for boats to sell permits to. Although the permit was cheaper, around 25 euros I think, we ended up using a public dock here anyway as strong winds were forecast for the night.

We didn't stay in many cities but the one I liked most is called Zuljana, it's on the peninsula. It was us and one other tourist boat - we both rafted up outside two local boats and because that's the only spot we could take. The restaurant had some of the best and cheapest food and drink we had the entire week and there were nice hiking trails around the town. We also stayed in a wonderful place called Okuklje on Mljet which I fully recommend, it was very protected and really beautiful. Some nice hiking trails and vantage points around it. Looking at the picture now I realize there were a bit more than 3-4 boats that night but at least it didn't feel crowded.

8 hours ago, Tharsheblows said:

Just curious though, what was bad about your experience with Waypoint?

The main problems were boat maintenance. We were told there were no issues with the boat but when we got there it was a different story. First of all the forward hatch was missing one of the two handles, meaning it only closed properly on one side. We regarded this as straight up dangerous as a wave over the bow would probably have ripped that hatch open easily. It also leaked in rain. The big hatch in the main salon was missing one of four handles and leaked as a result of this. The depth sounder didn't work when we arrived. We said we'd like to have it working and asked if they could fix it. Four hours and the same number of "technicians" (only one of whom spoke English) later we left with a broken depth sounder and discovered the log wasn't working either. When we checked it later it turned out they had replaced the transducer for the log instead of the one for the depth sounder and had somehow mounted the new one with the "forward" arrow facing the port stern quarter... We also got the depth sounder working by scraping all the growth off the transducer. Sadly the wire for it had been spliced three times on the way to the controller so the signal was too weak to work in depths over 20 meters, but it worked where we needed it.

The running rigging was really old and the control line for the boom vang broke while we were out. The water tank gauges didn't work, nor did the cockpit speakers and half the power outlets. There were a lot of weird electrical problems on it.

If we'd been informed about the problems when we asked it wouldn't have been such a let-down, and if they had a competent technician (or had just been honest and said "we don't know how to fix it") then we could have saved four hours pacing back and forth on the docks in the 90+ degree heat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's the dock in Zuljana, the motorboat in front of us was a local. We had to move when the local diveboats came in but they were kind enough to let us raft up outside them for the night provided we were gone by 10 am the next day, you can just about see the bow of it behind our boat.

Capture.thumb.JPG.78ab83f9688412587b78e17232ec46d2.JPG

Here's the next bay where people who came in late to Zuljana went. Interesting note - the little trawler-looking thing was US-registered American Tug 27 if I recall correctly. I assume they had shipped it over the Atlantic to cruise the med - really cool!

Capture2.thumb.JPG.e1ef8a9bb2b1f903c48626d52686979a.JPG

Here's a picture of Okuklje from one of the vantage points. Again, more boats than I remember but didn't really feel crowded at all. There was a group of middle-aged Germans on a Hanse 630 who provided us with the evening's entertainment by sending everyone in the crew up the mast one by one.

Capture1.thumb.JPG.bc88531a6115bf3b176bc290cc604263.JPG

Lastly, here's a picture from one of our anchorages where I tried to show the color and clarity of the water. Maybe not the best picture but the visibility was easily 20+ meters and I could have sworn I was able to make out sand vs rock/seagrass bottoms in what we think was somewhere between 30 and 40 meters. Not entirely sure what the actual depth was due to the sounder not working at those depths etc.

Capture3.thumb.JPG.db6d2522d7ba0baafabf56c352476e99.JPG

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, adi-plainsailing said:

Waypoint tend to have an older fleet - I think the Elan 384 that they have in Dubrovnik is from 2006, so I'm afraid there are bound to be a few niggles boatwise - though like you say, it's kind of priced in.  The yachts are in use for 20 - 22 weeks of the year, which means it's been rented out c. 260 times in it's lifetime - and not always to the most careful of charterers...!?

SaiingEurope do a good job, but it would be remiss of me not to mention PlainSailing.com - as part-owner I can tell you we are all about the customer experience, and we ONLY work with the best / most reliable charter companies in the Med (there is honestly nothing worse than being on the other end of the phone to a customer complaining about their holiday, so we do everything we possibly can to make sure that simply doesn't happen!?)

Yeah, you're absolutely right. We assumed there would be some issues and actually asked them about it before signing any contracts. Here are the screenshots from our email conversation with them about the boat:
We asked them:
Capture.JPG.40f8b1d4c2d1ca1b0a4c9ead8d4d5244.JPG

They replied:
Capture2.JPG.be0fd186709123e9488c50e166b525bb.JPG

So we expected wear and tear but we didn't expect a bunch of stuff to be broken. But you live and you learn, so next year we've booked a newer boat and we've booked through Euromarine. The guy who organized the trip has chartered through them before and been very happy with it. I think the reason we didn't end up chartering through them this year was because we were a bit late to book so it was our fault.

I haven't heard about PlainSailing, we found the boat through Boataround I think, but I'll be sure to check out PlainSailing in the future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, Euromarine are a nice company so you should be ok.  :)

The one thing I'd say is that you should aim for as new as your budget will allow -  there are obviously less problems with e.g. a 2015 vs a 2006.  In general, we're phasing out anything older than 2012 unless they are with a spectacularly good company.  It's the little things that get easily broken (exactly like the hatches / handles, etc) which can have a big impact on the holiday - some of it is to do with design issues of the yacht themselves, but mainly it's about the charterers not looking after the boat as well as if it was their own (and then not reporting any breakages because they don't want to pay for the damage!)

It's compounded by the fact that they need to do such a quick turnaround on the Saturday - from their fleet of e.g. 20 yachts, it's the one with the biggest problem that will get the attention, and they will do a bit of a patch-up job on the rest until they get a chance to properly fix when the yacht isn't in use for a week, or at the end of the season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Tharsheblows said:

I took ASA 101, 102, and 104 (and 114 if you want to charter a catamaran).  Then I took those certifications and got an IPC (International Proficiency Certificate) for Mediterranean waters from ASA.  Then I got a Restricted Radiotelephone Operator permit from the FCC.

These credentials have worked for me in Italy, Greece and Croatia so far.  (**does anyone know if an IPC for Mediterranean waters would work in Sweden or England or other non-Mediterranean European waters?)

If you own a boat and have tons of hours of experience you might be able to convince a company to just let you read the book and take the ASA tests without the extra time on the water.  I have heard of this happening but it may have been "unauthorized" deal through friends. 

Also, if you are a sailor, most of the information is pretty basic but might be worth reviewing anyway just because, as you likely know,  you can get yourself into trouble many ways.

 

On the contrary, I have friends who are very experienced sailors who have opted for hiring a captain.  The captains are typically very fun people and provided the added advantage of knowing exactly where the best coves, restaurants, and bars are located.  In fact, on the first night when we arrived in Milna (without a captain) there was a great open flame BBQ-style restaurant on the quay but we couldn't go because it was all booked up by the various captains for their charters.  Their knowledge can make the trip easy and fun.  That said, I prefer to do it all myself.

Thanks Bplip and Tharsheblows for the licensing ideas. My problem is that I live in east bumfuck with no active schools nearby.  I did find an on-the-water assessment instructor for the NauticEd SLC that will drive 1.5 hours each way and test me on my boat for $350. Then I can do the rest online - studying and taking the SLC test, which includes a VHF endorsement.  This may be the best way for me to go.  The instructor said I can knock the on-the-water part out now, that it is relatively easier for experienced sailors than the written test part.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/30/2019 at 5:56 AM, adi-plainsailing said:

We're based in the UK, so I'm afraid I can't help.  The most common licence we see from US Sailors tends to be the ASA one (module 104, etc) but that's about as helpful as I can be.  :/

Depending on how often you're planning to head across to the Med, it might make sense to just hire a skipper - it's usually between €1050 - €1300 for the week (plus meals), with the benefit that he will know all the best places to moor up for the night, will park it up in the tight marinas, and also will allow you to sip your G&T whilst lying in the sunshine in peace! :D

I have been checking out your website for ideas about where to sail next and it looks like you guys have several very good options.  I have a quick question, my ASA international proficiency certificate (that I got by taking ASA101, 102, and 104) specifically mentions "Mediterranean waters."  Will that be suffice if chartering through Plainsailing in your England and Scotland locations or other European, Non-Mediterranean waters (I can imagine some concerns including tides currents would be increased).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It varies a little more company-to-company in the UK (generally depending on which insurer they use, as the insurer tends to dictate what constitutes a 'qualified' sailor).

I checked with our Largs base (Scotland) and they said they would accept the qualification, as long as it was backed up by a sailing logbook with good experience, and it's a similar story for the rest of the UK.  I think having module 104 completed covers you for most of Europe, even if the over-arching certificate specifies Med waters. :)

Feel free to email me (adi@pl...) if you have any further questions (to save this chat taking over the forum) :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now