Sign in to follow this  
Prof Anthrax

Port Tacking the Feet.

My racing experience is on a Lindenberg 22 , E ticket. 

Skipper loved to port tack the fleet on starts. Other skippers yelling " starboard, starboard "!!!!

Ducking the ones he had to, crossing the ones he had beat. It made for an awesome few minutes before settling in for the distance. 

Sometimes, at mark roundings he would yell fake rules to others, just to get the inside. 

So. Bad Skipper. Or was he just getting it done?

Port tacking the fleet is great when you do it cleanly.

Yelling fake rules, not so. That could be a rule 2 violation.

• Like 2

When so many are doing the starboard tack, committee boat automatic start the port tack can work wonders. In a more competitive fleet, not so much. Someone will take you out.

• Like 1

fine if hes a ninja, if not then its prolly a bit dumb. Fake rules would get him t boned in some fleets around here.

If the line is so offset that you can barely run it on starboard, the port tack start can pay huge dividends.  Did it a regatta many years ago in breeze and only because I wasn't sure I could lay the line on starboard.  Cleared the fleet (including Olympic Gold) and was probably the lead boat for the first two minutes.  In a case like I described, it's a  function of how many boats and whether you anticipate finding a hole if someone is at the pin on starboard.  Barge on port while they are luffing to clear the line and you should be able to get 

I was fully willing to dip the entire fleet but it was clear with 30s to go that would not be an issue (I was barging on port at 11kts).

• Like 1

I did a laser nationals, 99% of boats falling over themselves trying to get the perfect position on the starboard end. I started port end with a couple of others and was 3rd at the first mark just giving way to the first two.  Second race there were a lot more down at the port end...

I've also done it at the Yeoman Nationals where they had a very long start line, So we sailed up the line on port, with the early boats sailing down the line, they were shouting starboard long before I got anywhere near them, and tacked to cross just before they reached us. Again we were very high up in the fleet at the first mark.

• Like 1

A couple of days ago I port tacked the entire fleet. Margo Robbie was on one of the other boats and she was so impressed that she jumped from the bow of WOXI on to the stern of my boat as we crossed and spent the rest of the race licking my balls and blowing me.

Hey this telling bullshit stories is fun!

• Like 10

do you have any other kind of story?

My experience with port tacking the fleet is  a poor line  or a huge left shift or you just fucked up and ended up on port. 

40 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

I port tacked the entire fleet. Margo Robbie ...spent the rest of the race licking my balls and blowing me.

I got to this bit and thought to myself .."pigs arse LB....her mouth isn't that big."

1414645187530.jpeg

6 hours ago, Prof Anthrax said:

My racing experience is on a Lindenberg 22 , E ticket. 

Skipper loved to port tack the fleet on starts. Other skippers yelling " starboard, starboard "!!!!

Ducking the ones he had to, crossing the ones he had beat. It made for an awesome few minutes before settling in for the distance. 

Sometimes, at mark roundings he would yell fake rules to others, just to get the inside. 

So. Bad Skipper. Or was he just getting it done?

If you have to ask the question, you probably won't understand the answer.

16 minutes ago, Gutterblack said:

My experience with port tacking the fleet is  a poor line  or a huge left shift or you just fucked up and ended up on port. 

If you admit to having to duck one boat, I will pull one of my nuts out of Margo's mouth.

6 minutes ago, random said:

If you have to ask the question, you probably won't understand the answer.

Why did George Bush bring down the twin towers?

3 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

back away from the keyboard , you're in SA not PA ............... :(

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Randumb's theory is it was his presence in the foyer listening to muslim music on his IPod.

Just like the Port lay at the top mark - Helmets on lads ..... 

• Like 1

I remember an Int 14 Supercup regatta once, where we started most races on port, ducking the fleet. Nice lift off the back of all the other boats, first onto the layline, and when they started tacking over, none was far enough ahead to cross us, so they had to duck. We led round the windward mark in most races, until people started cottoning on and copying us.

Caveat: Only worked because it was a small fleet, everyone was on their game so we didn't have to duck any stragglers, and the course was short enough for shifts not to be a big factor. A bit like trying to cross the fleet on port, it worked best when we were the only boat trying to do it!

To answer the OP's other point: calling out fake rules gets no respect from me. Win the race by sailing better than than the opposition.

• Like 1

Fake rules only work for against sailors who do not know the rules

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LB 15 said:

If you admit to having to duck one boat, I will pull one of my nuts out of Margo's mouth.

Glad to see your standards have improved. All your talk about Kristy Hinze was getting a bit weird. 

28 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

Glad to see your standards have improved. All your talk about Kristy Hinze was getting a bit weird. 

Oh she would have jumped as well, but she doesn't have a boat anymore.

3 hours ago, Gutterblack said:

And anyway my story is more interesting and has a far happier ending.

11 hours ago, Prof Anthrax said:

4 hours ago, Dave S said:

To answer the OP's other point: calling out fake rules gets no respect from me.

Breach of rule 2. See WS case 47.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

This place is like a dementia ward when the TV is broken.

Hehehehe.....

Yelling fake rules is bad sportsmanship. It's that simple.

• Like 4

In a Port/Starboard collision he may end up with a couple of Lindenberg elevens.

Sailed on one several times, not very well built. Bought one once, until the seller backed out of the deal. Maybe it was a good thing for me.

calling fake rules is a rule infraction.....  but more important  it makes sure that any beginner will stay away from the next race.

This shit has to stop if we want to get more people involved in racing ...period

Thor

• Like 3

13 hours ago, ~HHN92~ said:

When so many are doing the starboard tack, committee boat automatic start the port tack can work wonders. In a more competitive fleet, not so much. Someone will take you out.

once port tacked the Farr30 fleet at KWRW. That was exciting. Thought we were doing a port approach, only put couple wraps on the winch. Apparently a few seconds after the gun it started "banging" out through the cam cleat The main trimmed evidently screamed like a girl that the driver shouldn't chase the tell tails down. Only a few boats and it basically amounted to everyone match racing each other and we were able to take advantage of the situation. 

yelling out fake rules is a really shitty thing to do and they deserve to be reprimanded for it. 

Ya fake rules is really shitty.

Bad skipper. Especially on a Lindenberg.  Like really.. Why?  You guys sailing in the Lindenberg Olympics?  Fer crissakes.

• Like 2

Did a successful port tack a few weeks ago, someone else did it earlier in the season - it's always one of those less than a minute to the start with a shift and you either make it or your start really sucks.  Have also had a couple where can't quite clear a boat or 2 that were on the other end, do the lee bow and still good.  It just doesn't happen very often - much more often someone tries it and creates a freaking disaster.  Our fleet very competitive.  Steep learning curve and those that fail rarely try it again.

We have a several time world champ here who I had the pleasure of crewing for and observed him yelling random stuff to rattle another skipper, they are good friends and the time it worked was hilarious.  Like great comedy it's all about timing.

• Like 1

I regularly use the port approach and pick my spot. There are always idiots way to early and they end up way down the line.
The trick is knowing how much time it takes to run the line on Stbd and that tells you how to time the port approach. Then you do not have to flog your sails killing time. I hate lining up with the rest of the fleet flogging my sails. They cost way too much.

If the RC sets the line so the pin end is favored, starts are much easier and safer for all.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LB 15 said:

A couple of days ago I port tacked the entire fleet. Margo Robbie was on one of the other boats and she was so impressed that she jumped from the bow of WOXI on to the stern of my boat as we crossed and spent the rest of the race licking my balls and blowing me.

I think I'm as surprised as anyone, you have balls?  I figured you as a eunuch.  

• Like 1

Allow an 'old man' a little pride : )

Here are my two lads port tacking (and clearing) a fleet of 105 boats at the British Schools Championships (2016 Chichester Harbour). The photo is taken ≈5s after the gun from a safety RIB upwind of the pin. They had a great race after that, but were a long way out of the running in the event, being only 12 & 14 y/o, and confessed to "bricking themselves then giggling all the way to the windward mark". But ever since they have had the confidence to look for and make spaces where others daren't or can't be arsed - so start 'em young, I say!

It might have had something to do with me showing them this Merlin Rocket clip the night before, play 'til 40s in ... 

As for yelling "fake rules" - sign of the times and deserves no respect - is his name Donald by any chance?

Itch Schools port tack.JPG

• Like 5

1 hour ago, THOR said:

This shit has to stop if we want to get more people involved in racing

Thor

But LB might be onto something?

Some would argue that Margot Robbie is exactly what is needed to get more people involved in sailing.  ;)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Frazer said:

It might have had something to do with me showing them this Merlin Rocket clip the night before, play 'til 40s in ... 

?

Wow. Great start.  

Also, what incredibly beautiful boats !!!!!

I wish we had a dinghy as good looking and exciting in those numbers over here. My only wish list would be an asymmetrical spinnaker. That hull shape look like it would light up on an assym plane  

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

there's eunuchs and eunuchs

23 minutes ago, IPLore said:

But LB might be onto something?

Some would argue that Margot Robbie is exactly what is needed to get more people involved in sailing.  ;)

she can only lick so many balls at a time .... pity

9 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

I got to this bit and thought to myself .."pigs arse LB....her mouth isn't that big."

1414645187530.jpeg

Definitely one of the more impressive sets of TruckNutz that I've ever seen. Those juevos get any bigger though, the brother's gonna need a wheelie bar on that rig. 

5 hours ago, ROADKILL666 said:

WAS HE EVER PROTESTED?IF NOT HE GOT LUCKY NO ONE MEET HIM AT THE BIKE RACK.

this place has traditions, we don't meet at bike racks, that's so plebejan, no, we go for moonlight walks

• Like 3

LB tends to exaggerate. It was a ‘dykes on bikes’ sailing day.

... and yes a few jumped onto LBs boat.

They all appeared to have harnesses strapped on too.

@IPLore, the Merlin Rocket hit 70 years of age in 2017 ... : O

The hull shape makes it a very comfortable boat to sail (7' Bmx & 2' Bw/l ?), and if you are close gybing against the tide, down a winding, gusty tree-lined channel full of moored boats (my home turf in Chi Harbour), the last thing you'd want is an asym' & trapeze, so it really comes into its own.

The rig rake can be enormous (>1m), allowing huge scope to depower, so husbands & wives, parents & kids race in the class across a wide weight range with little disadvantage.

I did mention it was a cult, didn't I?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LarryE said:

In a Port/Starboard collision he may end up with a couple of Lindenberg elevens.

Sailed on one several times, not very well built. Bought one once, until the seller backed out of the deal. Maybe it was a good thing for me.

I have seen a Lindenberg 25 for sale down here in the Dallas area. Would it be a good idea to run from it like the palgue? Sorry for the thread drift.

11 hours ago, The Q said:

I did a laser nationals, 99% of boats falling over themselves trying to get the perfect position on the starboard end. I started port end with a couple of others and was 3rd at the first mark just giving way to the first two.  Second race there were a lot more down at the port end...

I've also done it at the Yeoman Nationals where they had a very long start line, So we sailed up the line on port, with the early boats sailing down the line, they were shouting starboard long before I got anywhere near them, and tacked to cross just before they reached us. Again we were very high up in the fleet at the first mark.

Were those the 2001 Paraguay nationals or the Rwanda nationals in 1989

This is a good starting technique on the RYS line in Cowes, especially at the tail end of an East-going tide.  Reach down the line at high speed, time it right and start at the inner limit with lots of speed on starboard and go for the beach a hundred yards away where there's the first of the West-going stream. 

When you run out of water, tack onto port, then you get a nice little lift just past Harold Cudmore's house and you should be well away.  Keep tacking up the beach in the good stream till it starts turning further out and you can relax a bit and take longer bites.

If one of those inconvenient starboard-tackers has made a good mid-line start and starts loudly asserting rights, flip back onto starboard under his bow, go back into the beach, call water and make him (and anyone above him) tack out.

Caution:  Bitter experience tells me this does NOT work if any of the starboard tackers are bigger than you.  

Loads of fun.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

This place is like a dementia ward when the TV is broken.

WHO ARE YOU AND WHERE THE HELL AM I?

Fake rules guys (always guys) are such narcissistic sociopaths that they actually brag about doing it . . 

But when they do that at our club, they get confronted by a number of us. 

I've also heard them brag about driving newbies out of the sport - what colossal jerks. 

Are we talking about a port tack approach about one to two minutes before the gun or about crossing the fleet on port on the first leg? 

The former works pretty well in mixed fleets with a long line. There will always be a hole to tack into. The latter only works if you’re fast and the pin end is really, really, really favoured and nobody notices except you and your tactician...

(BTW, yelling fake rules wouldn’t get you anywhere over here. Even on casual wednesdaynighters there are so many ex-Olympians and ex- or standing Champions in the fleet... they would just put on their poker faces and aim straight at your topside.) 

5 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

Did you? Well no one will ever mistake you for a comedian.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AJ Oliver said:

Fake rules guys (always guys) are such narcissistic sociopaths that they actually brag about doing it . . 

But when they do that at our club, they get confronted by a number of us. 

I've also heard them brag about driving newbies out of the sport - what colossal jerks. 

I bet they are white guys as well. It is always the white guys.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Did you? Well no one will ever mistake you for a comedian.

But not a eunuch.  Have a great day!

14 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

I bet they are white guys as well. It is always the white guys.

white men in yacht racing? bit of a stretch there. Nobody would believe that.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

But not a eunuch.  

I have a new stalker! Outstanding. Pity you are not clever or witty but we got to take what we can get around here lately. Talk soon.

Fuck I love this place.  

• Like 1

Did it a few times in Wed night fleets. Sometimes it worked, sometimes not.  Got my ass protested once. Old, crotchety orthopedic surgeon who owned a Heritage one ton back in the day.  He was doing his usual running the line just before the gun.  We were coming in at the pin end and planned to simply hook around the pin at the gun and go.  

We did it to damn near perfection.  We get protested. Port/starboard.  We were no less than a half boat length away from him after we completed our tack.  He said he had to dip us to avoid a collision.  P/S, P loses.  Got my revenge.  We beat him out for the club championship that year and the year following. 

5 hours ago, Frazer said:

Allow an 'old man' a little pride : )

Here are my two lads port tacking (and clearing) a fleet of 105 boats at the British Schools Championships (2016 Chichester Harbour).

Itch Schools port tack.JPG

That port tack is awesome!!!

I hope they dug in and got to the mark like champs!

34 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

But not a eunuch.  Have a great day!

Think LB heard you

6CB89003-2A25-4339-A4B2-6308F4FEC182.jpeg

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

I have a new stalker! Outstanding. Pity you are not clever or witty but we got to take what we can get around here lately. Talk soon.

Fuck I love this place.  

And the battle begins.  You live in a country of peace keepers, what happened to you?  

Fuck I love this place as well.  Why are you always negative, rejoice until your funeral which I gather is sneaking above the horizon

27 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

And the battle begins.  You live in a country of peace keepers, what happened to you?  

A battle cup cake? Not of wits surly...

This is not going to end well...

And I am happy as shit

Been a while since PPS stepped away to regroup

2 hours ago, LB 15 said:

A battle cup cake? Not of wits surly...

How long have you been dating Meli?   Man, that even leaves a bad taste in my mouth.  

8 hours ago, IPLore said:

Wow. Great start.  

Also, what incredibly beautiful boats !!!!!

I wish we had a dinghy as good looking and exciting in those numbers over here. My only wish list would be an asymmetrical spinnaker. That hull shape look like it would light up on an assym plane  

I used to have a Merlin, many years ago. Can still remember the sail number 2808. Her foredeck was like a piece of furniture, you could have used it as a dining table. Then one late autumn some bastard took her tie down lines off and she was blown over, broke the mast and twisted the king plank. She was actually clinker and if you look at the video you will see that even the modern moulded boats have a clinker 'effect'. Very tweaky boats and an absolute joy to sail.

SS

• Like 1

All those above who commented that shouting fake rules when you know they are fake being completely out of order, I am in complete agreement with. It's not smart!

It is just another form of cheating (or bullying). Might be difficult to prove but a quick protest or two might just break his habit. A bit of ostracising in the bar afterwards might also help.

If a sailor has to resort to this sort of unsportsmanlike behaviour then he is not as good as he thinks he is.

Rule 2 - no messing! Our sport does not need this sort of behaviour. It should also be factored in that the victims who are most likely to fall for it are the newbies to sailing and an unfair game being played on them is hardly likely to keep them in our sport.

No time for cheats!

SS

PS Thanks for posting that vid Frazer, brings back happy memories.

1. There is or used to be a vid on the International Contender site of a World's start, taken from the pin. Hundred or more boats and one cheeky bugger on port flat out on the wire, fully committed. Perfect port start.

2. I sailed Rockets at Draycott in the Midlands occasionally. One guy had one of the few legal (grandfathered) boats that had a tunnel hull. Was a great experience. Some of the boats where like well built furniture.

1 hour ago, Cal20sailor said:

How long have you been dating Meli?   Man, that even leaves a bad taste in my mouth.  

What leaves a bad taste in your mouth?

I have only dated her apparently.

@Sail4beer, they got a little bit overexcited by what they had pulled off, and pushed on too far into the stronger, foul tide towards the Stbd lay line instead of putting in a covering tack. The CRO, who is an Olympic RO, made up for it by awarding them a special prize for the "best start of the series [... pause ...] actually that I've seen all year" - an engraved glass tankard full of Jelly Beans - a real "chapeau" moment.

@shanghaisailor, Your old boat 2808, "Animal" is an early Phil Morrison design (September Girl), and according to class records is still going somewhere - lots of boats get completely rebuilt in this class, so quite a few owners sail in both Classic and a Modern fleets  ; )

Clinker or not, they can be a bit of a handful - note waterline beam, he, he, he : )

18855-1-1000.jpg

And, er, some of the owners are "Classics" in their own right. Alan Warren, skipper in this pic, has been sailing in the Merlin fleet since 1951, and was Silver medallist at the '72 Olympics in the Tempest - they still build 'em like they used to : O

https://www.yachtsandyachting.com/photo/130367

Only 21 boats out of 120 finished that day ... 

I don't get the big deal here.  You check out the start line,  any bias, the conditions and make a call on where you are going to start.

If that means that Port is the go then so be it.  You either clear them or you have to tack. 

So?

• Like 1

And once you cross the entire fleet on port,  be sure to tack back

over onto starboard to consolidate your gain. If you don't, you can 

go from first to last in a hurry. 

Don't ask me how I learned that . . 

2 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

Ain't that the truth!  We've all done it.  Used to be known down under as a "lightning fast tack to oblivion."

Staying between the fleet and the next mark and playing the short-term lifts and headers seems to work.  And while you're at it, keep your head out of the boat as much as you can and plan the next leg.  Plenty of first leg wonders have come badly unstuck on the next one.

• Like 1

On 9/12/2018 at 6:18 PM, P_Wop said:

This is a good starting technique on the RYS line in Cowes, especially at the tail end of an East-going tide.  Reach down the line at high speed, time it right and start at the inner limit with lots of speed on starboard and go for the beach a hundred yards away where there's the first of the West-going stream. 

When you run out of water, tack onto port, then you get a nice little lift just past Harold Cudmore's house and you should be well away.  Keep tacking up the beach in the good stream till it starts turning further out and you can relax a bit and take longer bites.

If one of those inconvenient starboard-tackers has made a good mid-line start and starts loudly asserting rights, flip back onto starboard under his bow, go back into the beach, call water and make him (and anyone above him) tack out.

Caution:  Bitter experience tells me this does NOT work if any of the starboard tackers are bigger than you.  

Loads of fun.

Just ask Harold where the rocks are and Gurnard ledge is?   :PJamesonOntheRocks.jpg.9fb9def8261c6ab8251c824cfb41c38e.jpg

10 minutes ago, mad said:

Just ask Harold where the rocks are and Gurnard ledge is?   :PJamesonOntheRocks.jpg.9fb9def8261c6ab8251c824cfb41c38e.jpg

Jameson on the rocks.  I love that drink.  Pic thanks to Barry Picthall.

The King was unimpressed, I believe.

'Jameson 1', owned by King Harald of Norway and skippered by Harold Cudmore, sinking after hitting roxks on Gurnard Ledge, Cowes, during the 1993 Admirals Cup.

22 minutes ago, P_Wop said:

Jameson on the rocks.  I love that drink.  Pic thanks to Barry Picthall.

The King was unimpressed, I believe.

'Jameson 1', owned by King Harald of Norway and skippered by Harold Cudmore, sinking after hitting roxks on Gurnard Ledge, Cowes, during the 1993 Admirals Cup.

Check your PM’s. ;)

I remember the event very well.  Quite a few of other 1 tonners followed them in as well with ensuing carnage. 

1 hour ago, mad said:

Check your PM’s. ;)

I remember the event very well.  Quite a few of other 1 tonners followed them in as well with ensuing carnage. 

Yes, it was a real fustercluck.  I was naviguessing Ludde's first Nicorette (ex-Charles Jourdain) that year, and decided to work the mainland shore as I had no idea how or if the echo sounder had been calibrated.  At least when you hit that slowly shelving beach by Beaulieu you should be able to spin round and get off.

15 hours ago, Frazer said:

@Sail4beer, they got a little bit overexcited by what they had pulled off, and pushed on too far into the stronger, foul tide towards the Stbd lay line instead of putting in a covering tack. The CRO, who is an Olympic RO, made up for it by awarding them a special prize for the "best start of the series [... pause ...] actually that I've seen all year" - an engraved glass tankard full of Jelly Beans - a real "chapeau" moment.

@shanghaisailor, Your old boat 2808, "Animal" is an early Phil Morrison design (September Girl), and according to class records is still going somewhere - lots of boats get completely rebuilt in this class, so quite a few owners sail in both Classic and a Modern fleets  ; )

Clinker or not, they can be a bit of a handful - note waterline beam, he, he, he : )

18855-1-1000.jpg

And, er, some of the owners are "Classics" in their own right. Alan Warren, skipper in this pic, has been sailing in the Merlin fleet since 1951, and was Silver medallist at the '72 Olympics in the Tempest - they still build 'em like they used to : O

https://www.yachtsandyachting.com/photo/130367

Only 21 boats out of 120 finished that day ... 

@Frazer - that's cool to know and yes, Animal was her name when I bought her and I was going to re-name her until I had my first sail in her then promptly changed my mind as it was so appropriate.

I had an Enterprise and a Hornet before her and I think she was the first boat I 'fell in love with' - she was beautiful AND a handful in a blow. Glad someone with more time patience and most importantly boat building ability bought the insurance write off and rebuilt her.

Alan Warren must be in his 70's now. I am also the high side of 60 but wouldn't dare to give myself the title classic :-)

See ya on the water

SS

On 9/12/2018 at 2:45 AM, LB 15 said:

So, you have never port tacked the fleet. I love you man.

1 minute ago, Prof Anthrax said:

I love you man.

I love you to Professor.

• Like 1

On 9/12/2018 at 6:47 AM, ROADKILL666 said:

WAS HE EVER PROTESTED?IF NOT HE GOT LUCKY NO ONE MEET HIM AT THE BIKE RACK.

JFC, someone break this guy's caps lock key off already.  Or is typing all of this on a mill?

So, one time, st sailboat camp, Skipper ducked the stern of this Tartan 30. Pitched a roll key into the rigging.  It was a crew of folks in matching Tee shirts. 

Half looked up, half looked down. 

Skipper was a dick. .   

6 minutes ago, Prof Anthrax said:

So, one time, st sailboat camp, Skipper ducked the stern of this Tartan 30. Pitched a roll key into the rigging.  It was a crew of folks in matching Tee shirts. 

Half looked up, half looked down. 

Skipper was a dick. .   

That is a great story. It never gets old regardless of how many people claim to have done it. 

1 minute ago, LB 15 said:

That is a great story. It never gets old regardless of how many people claim to have done it. 

It's for real dude. 

I was there. 

1 hour ago, Prof Anthrax said:

It's for real dude. 

I was there. 

Professor were you really all there???...like you built a HF radio from coconuts but couldn't work out how to build a fucking boat??? 

On 9/12/2018 at 5:35 PM, THOR said:

calling fake rules is a rule infraction.....  but more important  it makes sure that any beginner will stay away from the next race.

This shit has to stop if we want to get more people involved in racing ...period

Thor

Exactly,

Was on a boat that was on their first season. New but capable crew.

We were sailing downwind, on layline to mark, clear astern and wanted to get on top of her.

Ex. Olympic-sailor from that boat kept yelling us to sail proper course and kept lifting. Real gentleman...

We should have protested, next time I will.

On 9/13/2018 at 9:33 PM, AJ Oliver said:

This was going to be my follow up question.  I've successfully port tacked a OD fleet a couple of times because of a late big shift that made the pin very favored.  I mostly lucked into it and made a last minute decision to start on port.  When it works its a thing of beauty.  But it rarely works.

But the question is, if you pull it off correctly - how far do you continue on port?  If the entire fleet is spread across a long-ish line, I would think continuing until you cross the entire fleet ensures that you lose out to the guys who started on starboard near the pin and are going to get to the shift first.  It seems to me that if you are able to cross the first several boats at the pin on port, that tacking back to lead the fleet out to the left would be better.  Any thoughts on this?