IStream

Show your boat not sailing

Thanks Ish! Took a river cruise in her yesterday when I got done with the rigging. First time in 3 years I'd been on the water for pleasure, no work involved. Pleasure boating, what a concept! By the time I got to the mooring I was near ecstatic!

• Like 1

Wow,  totally the effort. Beautiful boat. 

How can you stand to let it get wet and be out in the weather?

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

How can you stand to let it get wet and be out in the weather?

My next big lottery win will buy a drive in boat house!

Lovely indeed. Can you tell us more about her? Maybe some more pics?

1 hour ago, Bull City said:

Lovely indeed. Can you tell us more about her? Maybe some more pics?

You're harshing my humble brag, Bull! :D

Not much to say I haven't posted here before but she's an International 500 Yawl, designed by Robert G. Henry and built in Bremen, Germany in 1963 of African mahogany on oak. She differs from other Int. 500s in that a previous owner  had a nice, lower, more aesthetically appealing mahogany house and new teak decks put on her just before I got her, about 15 years back now. 

Her other major claim to fame was she was owned by singer/ songwriter Dan Fogelberg back in the day, a fact of which I'm pretty proud. I can imagine him getting his inspiration for the song The Reach sailing on Serenade, as he called her.

I'll post a few other pics when I get to my other puter. Thanks for the kind words, all. Makes all that nasty work stuff worth while.

A few of my favorite older pix...

enhance

enhance

enhance

And finally a pic from the early 1980s before she was painted out and got that new, lower house... hard to believe it's the same boat but it's true!

enhance

• Like 1

Honestly, I think she's just as pretty in both versions.

• Like 1

Despite how nice as it looks now, painting it was a crime.

1 hour ago, Willin' said:

enhance

enhance

enhance

And finally a pic from the early 1980s before she was painted out and got that new, lower house... hard to believe it's the same boat but it's true!

enhance

While I've usually loved varnished hulls, the current iteration of the boat is the best.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

I disagree, she looks perfect as she is now.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Willin' said:

And she floats... at last! It's been almost 3 years since Drift last tasted salt water. About 3 months ago I got serious about the work I needed to get done before she splashes. Right now, I'm saying it was worth it. Two weeks ago, I wasn't so optimistic! Every bone in my body aches today, so I'm taking the day off, but snapped these when I went out to check the bilge. I'm thinking sundowners in the hot tub tonight!

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

I call that moment of despair PMH - the Point of Maximum Hatred. When it hurts, costs, and just seems stupid as anything. 

We had one yesterday making a short passage to Ballysadare and the half hour across Sligo Bay was penitential with cold rain, cross seas, and the likelihood that we’d have to go back if the entrance was breaking. 

It wasnt, we’re here, and the hatred has left our bones. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

I think the starboard side might have influenced his decision. Dan Fogelberg was the owner that painted her. He chose dark green, a color I've thought about trying sometime. She was pretty in green too.

enhance

I'm not a fan of dark green on boats, on British sports cars, yes. Black looks just right.

How do you feel about the... errr... you know... the off set companionway? :o

image.thumb.png.59fcd4e1d640575c53f8b26ed053b44b.png

3 minutes ago, Bull City said:

I'm not a fan of dark green on boats, on British sports cars, yes. Black looks just right.

How do you feel about the... errr... you know... the off set companionway? :o

image.thumb.png.59fcd4e1d640575c53f8b26ed053b44b.png

I'm fine with it even though I still bonk my head on the boom periodically. I must have missed the whole kerfuffle about offset companionways. Why is it a thing?

What is your maintenance routine on the decks?  They look amazing after so many years.

22 minutes ago, MauiPunter said:

What is your maintenance routine on the decks?  They look amazing after so many years.

Well, I wish I could claim constant attention to detail but... except for the covering boards and kingplank the teak was replaced about 17 years ago. Usually I lightly scrub it with a very soft brush and mild oxalic every other season  or so to get the mildew out of the grain. 

After doing that a half dozen times over the years, despite my soft brush and consciously not scrubbing too hard, the grain had raised noticeably so I RO sanded it thoroughly during this haulout. It looks great now but will grey out shortly. 

• Like 1

I love the green, but I'm biased. My boat is green.

1 hour ago, Willin' said:

I'm fine with it even though I still bonk my head on the boom periodically. I must have missed the whole kerfuffle about offset companionways. Why is it a thing?

someone once declared offset companion ways as a safety issue in a knockdown...more likely to take on water they said...ever since the cry of "death trap" is issued when ever one is pictured.

2 hours ago, Willin' said:

I think the starboard side might have influenced his decision. Dan Fogelberg was the owner that painted her. He chose dark green, a color I've thought about trying sometime. She was pretty in green too.

enhance

You're right. Those mismatched planks ruin the appeal of the bright finish.

2 hours ago, Willin' said:

That should be self Eva Dent.

It's just one of the insider jokes around this place - some people have posted stupidities about how they'll sink a boat in a knockdown.

Edit: I see Chester beat me two it.

28 minutes ago, DrWatson said:

finally, a pic of my boat not sailing....

gallery_123_40_251929.jpg

Nice!  What kind of boat is that?

8 hours ago, Willin' said:

enhance

I think I've mentioned to you, I knew the owner that owned Drift - for a short time - after Fogelburg. Ronnie spent very little time (1 season maybe) sailing the boat before having the redesign and build done at the Apprenticeshop in Rockland. They did a great job (as far as I know). I think Ronnie was involved in the re-design that I think is a great success having been on the boat before. 

Sadly he hardly used it after the work and shortly sold the boat and his house here in the area, and moved back down south. Soon as he replanted in Fla it seems he was chased out of the town he moved to by back to back hurricanes. 

6 hours ago, monsoon said:

Lovely boat.  Any shots from below?

A few but I suck at shooting in tight quarters...

Looking fwd into the V-berth

enhance

Looking aft from the forepeak

enhance

Port settee berth and galley

enhance

stbd settee berth

enhance

And lastly, the best feature, when I had the head out for a rebuild last year I raised the pedestal it sits on 3.5 inches, like an old fart's tall toilet. Much easier to navigate in that tight little throne room that way!

enhance

Lovely 4:1 purchase sanitary hose arrangement...:ph34r:

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Kris Cringle said:

I think I've mentioned to you, I knew the owner that owned Drift - for a short time - after Fogelburg. Ronnie spent very little time (1 season maybe) sailing the boat before having the redesign and build done at the Apprenticeshop in Rockland. They did a great job (as far as I know). I think Ronnie was involved in the re-design that I think is a great success having been on the boat before. 

Sadly he hardly used it after the work and shortly sold the boat and his house here in the area, and moved back down south. Soon as he replanted in Fla it seems he was chased out of the town he moved to by back to back hurricanes. 

Hi Tom,  yeah I remember you saying Ronnie asked for a more Herreshoff-esque deck house, and got it! I definitely feel this is by far the prettiest version of the boat because of that, though every time I bump my head on a roof beam I kinda wish for the old, tall cabin.

I'm sorry Ronnie didn't thrive down in Vero. We were in touch last year when I almost sold Drift and was talking to as many of the former owners as I could. So far, the only owner I haven't contacted was the original buyer who bought her in Connecticut and promptly took her to Florida. Turns out this Drift (renamed by Ronnie after the boat his Dad owned in his youth) may actually be the boat his Dad owned as I met the man who bought her from Ronnie's Dad in Ft Lauderdale about 1970 and she was named Drift at that time. From there we can trace ownership all the way to me, so it should be the same boat. The only problem is the 1970 pic and the 1964 pic Ronnie sent me both show the cabin had 2 forward facing portlights and the 1980s pics I have don't, and the sail number on Ronnie's pic is 23 and mine is 28. It's been great fun tracing the lineage, but I think we've gone as far as we can without being absolutely certain it's the same boat.

I'll be putting her up for sale again this fall, so tell Ronnie this is big chance to own her for the third time! :D

9 minutes ago, Willin' said:

Amazing! It could be his Dads boat. 

" though every time I bump my head on a roof beam I kinda wish for the old, tall cabin."  Ronnie is not tall. :) 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, MauiPunter said:

Nice!  What kind of boat is that?

It's a Pogo 36.

• Like 2

On 6/20/2019 at 5:46 AM, Willin' said:

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

What a gorgeous boat you have, indeed! Owner pride must be strong, with you :)

I love it with its hull in black, I think it favors its lines and draw them even better. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, leuk said:

What a gorgeous boat you have, indeed! Owner pride must be strong, with you :)

I love it with its hull in black, I think it favors its lines and draw them even better. 

Welcome to the forum, Leuk!  Keep complimenting my boat and you'll go far!

3 hours ago, leuk said:

It's a Pogo 36.

Now I know why I didn't recognize it. Every photo or video I've ever seen of a Pogo, they were going blazingly fast. I've never seen one sitting still!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Willin' said:

Welcome to the forum, Leuk!  Keep complimenting my boat and you'll go far!

A few miles on the helm would be lovely, already.

3 hours ago, Ajax said:

Now I know why I didn't recognize it. Every photo or video I've ever seen of a Pogo, they were going blazingly fast. I've never seen one sitting still!

Pogos are lots of fun! I spent a full week onboard a 30, and it was time well spent. They are fast, really smooth and incredibly easy to ride. So much so that at some point, we felt confident enough to keep the spi well over the first night watch. Pogo 36 is my actual dream boat.

That said, I can't wait to put my actual boat into the water and see what it's made of.

before the clean-up and relaunch

WhatsApp Image 2019-06-16 at 15.36.33.jpeg

• Like 2

Here is my boat not sailing.  As a fuck you to cancer, I went and bought a new Yanmar 4JH57 to replace my smoking Perkins Prima 50.  This is us hoisting the new one into the boat!

MVIMG_20190521_110930.jpg

• Like 2

At this point, Appa has got to be one of the best-found Wauquiez (Wauquiezs?) in existence.

• Like 1

On 6/19/2019 at 11:46 PM, Willin' said:

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Much better looking now, I must say!

8 hours ago, Beer fueled Mayhem said:

Here is my boat not sailing.  As a fuck you to cancer, I went and bought a new Yanmar 4JH57 to replace my smoking Perkins Prima 50.  This is us hoisting the new one into the boat!

MVIMG_20190521_110930.jpg

I gave cancer the ol’”fuck off!” a while back and ain’t looking to pick another fight. 

Fire up the diesel and get moving!

• Like 1

On 6/20/2019 at 11:10 AM, DrWatson said:

finally, a pic of my boat not sailing....

gallery_123_40_251929.jpg

Pogo 36?

12 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

I gave cancer the ol’”fuck off!” a while back and ain’t looking to pick another fight. 

Fire up the diesel and get moving!

We are leaving for Desolation Sound on the 4th!  But first a stop in Poulsbo on the 3rd for the fireworks!

9 hours ago, Beer fueled Mayhem said:

We are leaving for Desolation Sound on the 4th!  But first a stop in Poulsbo on the 3rd for the fireworks!

I'll see you there. If you're looking for a raft up with a couple sullen teenagers and a sweet 10 year old, let me know! Can you tell I'm in marketing?

12 hours ago, IStream said:

I'll see you there. If you're looking for a raft up with a couple sullen teenagers and a sweet 10 year old, let me know! Can you tell I'm in marketing?

I'll look for you!  I'll have my parasites as well!!

On 6/29/2019 at 11:09 PM, Beer fueled Mayhem said:

Don't go to the marina.....river otter shit on docklines pretty much is impossible to get the stink out... don't ask me how I know

We'll be anchored out in a raft with another buddy boat. Look for a Catalina 50 with a bigass blue hard dodger rafted up to a green Tanton 43 sloop. 

FYI, it'll be a -3.4' tide around noon on Wednesday so you may want to take that into account with that deep keel of yours. 

Finally got the new mainsail delivered today!

The new staysail arrives tomorrow.

I can finally start sailing this one!!!

4B53162F-3C7E-41B1-8B6F-392C38BD5895.jpeg

36328343-3497-4737-A51E-F5C923B4A85A.jpeg

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Sail4beer said:

Finally got the new mainsail delivered today!

The new staysail arrives tomorrow.

I can finally start sailing this one!!!

4B53162F-3C7E-41B1-8B6F-392C38BD5895.jpeg

36328343-3497-4737-A51E-F5C923B4A85A.jpeg

Pretty vessel you have there!

- Stumbling

9 minutes ago, stumblingthunder said:

Pretty vessel you have there!

- Stumbling

I like her "furrowed brow".

• Like 1

Water will not find a resting place on that cabin top!

Bill Fastiggi built a wonderful sail and I Just ordered it in late May. 

Much thanks to Vermont Sailing Partners!!!

Vermont Sailing Partners came through like champs.

They delivered the staysail yesterday and Boardhead brought it over and helped me set everything up at 7am

ADEF2706-6DD4-49DF-8232-1929A9FFA567.jpeg

• Like 1

Retrieved my boat this morning from the town dock, after it served as seating for July 4 fireworks

image.thumb.png.7a2b298c749dc613415d610d4af57d10.png

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:

Retrieved my boat this morning from the town dock, after it served as seating for July 4 fireworks

image.thumb.png.7a2b298c749dc613415d610d4af57d10.png

What is she? Pretty boat.

• Like 1

Thanks Woahboy. Beneteau Oceanis 350. One of the last Benes shipped from France, as the SC plant had just opened in 1987. Not super sexy but she’s provided a lot of fun. Somewhere I have a photo of my dad and me in the container yard in Newport News VA with the newly arrived boat wrapped in plastic. He’d like knowing I’ve kept her up and that sailing is a part of our family’s life.

• Like 4

Arguably against the forum rules but I'll allow it on a technicality. ;)

Nice pic. Love the emphasis on the reflection.

I can smell the slow from here!

Edit... meant to post in sailing thread!

Ya can't trim "zero."  :)

• Like 1

On 7/7/2019 at 3:43 PM, hard aground said:

66017464_476480503101595_4400486387535577088_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_oc=AQnQAap0vVJAeH_8dFK324iRQ-_ZAHm_BRWqbRgHznJ-8cZZM9Fjyc7GKICqmMpLkYdzkVZ6aI4IYnb6HcEAKCRf&_nc_ht=scontent.fyyz1-1.fna&oh=0aad30c5c08544100dd7ddeb5eb7b24c&oe=5DB57404

These poor sailors did not buy the sails infused with Upsidazium™, guaranteed to keep your sails full and pulling in the lightest of zephyrs.   Ask for it at your nearest sailmaker!

- Stumbling

• Like 1

On 7/7/2019 at 10:13 AM, Sail4beer said:

I can smell the slow from here!

Slow would imply that we were moving.

38 minutes ago, Cruising Sailor said:

Direction Island, Cocos Keeling

Cocos.jpg

Not jealous, no, not at all. Tell us about what it's like there?

Yea, we ain't sailing anymore.  Not with a whole bunch of holes that look like this. 

file1-44.gif

OK @Cruising Sailor and @Willin' are killing me here.  I thought I had graduated from this thread.  Bought a beat up tri.  Worked our asses off saving it and refitting it.  Got it up from FL in the middle of the winter and left this thread as we SAILED it.  Alas she now sits here and has 20 holes like above (though that is the worse... and yea that is a burn mark through the core).  But we are going to fix her right (though insurance will have a say as to if if we get to fix her or have to total her) and hopefully leave this dang thread for good. And hopefully before winter!!

file-131.gif

What is going on there?

7 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

What is going on there?

Half way through our first summer post purchase and refit, a massive lightening strike at the masthead took out all the electronics and left the hulls (yea three of them) and daggerboard riddled with exit points just below the waterline. On the positive side at least we didn't "explode" like the tree and deck that also got hit about 100 yards away.  And being a multihull we didn't sink.  The core (close cell PVC foam) and even the balsa along the very bottom held up remarkably well given the severity of the strike and the soaking it took over a 60 hour period till we got things stabilized and the boat hauled.

On 3/18/2019 at 9:51 AM, Wess said:

Other than dinghies - OK I do love the Laser and UFO - for my wife and I, our personally owned big boat experience has been limited to the "not sailing" photo thread.  But stage 1 of the refit complete, and winter be damned - as well as our desire for 5-7 instead of 10-20 for a first shake down cruise - we got the new (to us) boat out sailing for a first shakedown yesterday.

file-73.gif

Thanks @SecondWindNC Here she was in one of our first sails when we got her up to MD this winter. Guessing that was a February sail.  No T-storms in February. No lightening. I am finding I like winter sailing more and more LOL. Ah memories.  Back when I graduated out of this thread.  Good grief, now I have been held back and have to repeat kindergarten.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Mr. Ed said:

Not jealous, no, not at all. Tell us about what it's like there?

A very interesting and beautiful stop. We arrived from Christmas Island around 1 am under a mostly full moon and entered the edge of the anchorage off Direction Island (you are only permitted to anchor off Direction Island).  We moved closer in the next morning.  You could easily see the coral heads by moonlight the water is so clear.  There are 3 main islands in the group, 2 of which are inhabited with about 600 people. The islands are an Australian territory, but they were run for more than 100 years as a little fiefdom by the Clunies-Ross family, including having their own currency.  The Australian govt. shut it down in the 1970s. Direction Island is not inhabited now, but was a telegraph cable station for many years to relay messages from and communicate with passing ships. As with most places with few or no people, it is very pristine with a large lagoon that has a huge population of breeding green turtles that are easily seen kayaking.  Also, the lagoon provides ideal kite boarding conditions with big breeze and flat water.

1 hour ago, Wess said:

Half way through our first summer post purchase and refit, a massive lightening strike at the masthead took out all the electronics and left the hulls (yea three of them) and daggerboard riddled with exit points just below the waterline. On the positive side at least we didn't "explode" like the tree and deck that also got hit about 100 yards away.  And being a multihull we didn't sink.  The core (close cell PVC foam) and even the balsa along the very bottom held up remarkably well given the severity of the strike and the soaking it took over a 60 hour period till we got things stabilized and the boat hauled.

Stunning. Dude, I am so sorry. Hopefully repairs proceed quickly and I hope you bought a lottery ticket!

14 minutes ago, Ajax said:

Stunning. Dude, I am so sorry. Hopefully repairs proceed quickly and I hope you bought a lottery ticket!

May need the lottery to fix her.  Its a six figure claim for sure.  That said it could have easily been game over but for my wife and I working our asses off to minimize and mitigate damages post strike.  Tell you one thing, if you don't have a few sticks of epoxy putty on board (like CRC Minute Mend) go get yourself some because that stuff is some amazing shit!  Cures underwater.  Fast.  Adhesion is excellent.  Best $15.00 you will ever spend.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Wess said:

May need the lottery to fix her.  Its a six figure claim for sure.  That said it could have easily been game over but for my wife and I working our asses off to minimize and mitigate damages post strike.  Tell you one thing, if you don't have a few sticks of epoxy putty on board (like CRC Minute Mend) go get yourself some because that stuff is some amazing shit!  Cures underwater.  Fast.  Adhesion is excellent.  Best $15.00 you will ever spend.

Wess so sorry to hear about the boat, but glad y'all weren't aboard. I've been on the fence about going whole-hog on lighting protection for my boat but this story may have just made that decision for me. Thank you for sharing. 

43 minutes ago, Lake Schooner said:

Wess so sorry to hear about the boat, but glad y'all weren't aboard. I've been on the fence about going whole-hog on lighting protection for my boat but this story may have just made that decision for me. Thank you for sharing. 

Thank you. Being in the middle of a claim I don’t want to put too much out there but don’t go whole hog on lightening protection on account of me. We had some. Another boat nearby had soup to nuts whole hog. Both of us got hit. When everything gets settled and I have some time to think and reflect I might put up a post on what I would do differently pre and post strike. 

34 minutes ago, Wess said:

Thank you. Being in the middle of a claim I don’t want to put too much out there but don’t go whole hog on lightening protection on account of me. We had some. Another boat nearby had soup to nuts whole hog. Both of us got hit. When everything gets settled and I have some time to think and reflect I might put up a post on what I would do differently pre and post strike. 

Totally understand. Would be interested to hear your thoughts when the time comes. I've got all the risk factors for a bad experience when / if lightning hits the boat: carbon spars, freestanding masts, cored hull below the waterline, encapsulated ballast, zero through-hulls, zero metal under the WL, and the boat is often kept in freshwater. 

10 minutes ago, Lake Schooner said:

Totally understand. Would be interested to hear your thoughts when the time comes. I've got all the risk factors for a bad experience when / if lightning hits the boat: carbon spars, freestanding masts, cored hull below the waterline, encapsulated ballast, zero through-hulls, zero metal under the WL, and the boat is often kept in freshwater. 

That sounds like an interesting vessel! Tell us more. 

24 minutes ago, Mr. Ed said:

That sounds like an interesting vessel! Tell us more. 

She is interesting indeed! She's a Presto 30. The Rodger Martin version with the fat head cat-ketch rig. 

• Like 1

On 7/8/2019 at 8:04 AM, Ajax said:

Ya can't trim "zero."  :)

Tell me again what a "Code Zero" is for.

2 hours ago, Wess said:

What a heartbreak!  Sorry Wess.  Sounds like you're coping though.   I hate forms, paperwork and phone tag on these types of things, not to mention losing some good sailing time...

Like others here I got into the 'drone thing', but only when 1) They were MUCH smarter about flying than I am, and 2) Cost so it 'landing' in the water would not make me cry.

So I got a DJI Spark used off Craigslist from a kid that figured rent was more important than a drone.

Shot in the Tobago Cays, looking at Petit Bateau with Mayreau in the background. There was 15 knots across the deck but the drone handled that fine. Boat is a 10-owner Beni 42 that we where thinking about buying in to. Lovely location, decent boat, but the timing not right for Jodi who simply cannot get 3 weeks off in the winter.

DJI_0091.jpg

• Like 2

On 7/11/2019 at 1:11 AM, Lake Schooner said:

She is interesting indeed! She's a Presto 30. The Rodger Martin version with the fat head cat-ketch rig. 

Wonderful vessel!   I saw one at the St. Pete boat show long ago when Ryder was marketing them and always wanted one after that.

Its on my short list of boats to keep an eye out for when they come to market(also Gougeon G-32.)   The old Thorfinn keeps coming back on the market, but only when I am working in a project where I am unable to take advantage of its availability.

- Stumbling

On 7/10/2019 at 4:46 PM, Wess said:

Yea, we ain't sailing anymore.  Not with a whole bunch of holes that look like this. 

file1-44.gif

Those fiberglass worms are getting a bit explosive these days.  Too much nitrates in their diet get their bellies upset when the thunderstorms come round...

- Stumbling

• Like 2

On 7/10/2019 at 11:11 PM, Lake Schooner said:

A Cool Boat!

39 minutes ago, Mr. Ed said:

A Cool Boat!

2 hours ago, stumblingthunder said:

Wonderful vessel!   I saw one at the St. Pete boat show long ago when Ryder was marketing them and always wanted one after that.

Its on my short list of boats to keep an eye out for when they come to market(also Gougeon G-32.)   The old Thorfinn keeps coming back on the market, but only when I am working in a project where I am unable to take advantage of its availability.

- Stumbling

Thanks for the kind words guys. 

There may be some new Presto's being built soon, or at least there may once again be the option to have one built. I don't know much beyond this link, but it might be worth looking into if you're interested. You could also reach out to Rodger Martin about it, I've found him to be very helpful and responsive. 

This is sad news but relevant, the owner of one of the Presto's recently passed away so there is a possibility that boat will be appear on the used market in the near future. I think it may have been the last Presto built by Ryder/Union River. The owner completed the interior. I don't have any information about the layout or quality. If you're even remotely interested you should keep checking the listings and jump on it quick, the boat has a pretty serious cult following. 

15 hours ago, Lake Schooner said:

Thanks for the kind words guys. 

There may be some new Presto's being built soon, or at least there may once again be the option to have one built. I don't know much beyond this link, but it might be worth looking into if you're interested. You could also reach out to Rodger Martin about it, I've found him to be very helpful and responsive. 

This is sad news but relevant, the owner of one of the Presto's recently passed away so there is a possibility that boat will be appear on the used market in the near future. I think it may have been the last Presto built by Ryder/Union River. The owner completed the interior. I don't have any information about the layout or quality. If you're even remotely interested you should keep checking the listings and jump on it quick, the boat has a pretty serious cult following. 

I  had seen a link for this a week or so ago, but it was with a cat rig.   I took one look at that and thought whoever is doing this just ruined the whole point of this boat.   The split cat-ketch rig is sized to make it easy to manage the sail and has none of those nasty tendencies to develop bad weather helm in a blow, that a cat rig does.

Anybody who thinks that one mast with a long boom is better needs to spend time on an old original windsurfer in over 20 knots of breeze.   They will eat water until the point is driven home.

- Stumbling

3 hours ago, stumblingthunder said:

I  had seen a link for this a week or so ago, but it was with a cat rig.   I took one look at that and thought whoever is doing this just ruined the whole point of this boat.   The split cat-ketch rig is sized to make it easy to manage the sail and has none of those nasty tendencies to develop bad weather helm in a blow, that a cat rig does.

Anybody who thinks that one mast with a long boom is better needs to spend time on an old original windsurfer in over 20 knots of breeze.   They will eat water until the point is driven home.

- Stumbling

Stumbling, 

I saw that too. I totally agree that it was the right call to go back to the original rig. I will be interested to see if they go with the same construction methods employed by the original builder, or if they go for a more simple and value focused approach. And then obviously the big question will be price. I really hope they can get some traction. This boat deserves to be successful.