IStream

Show your boat not sailing

9 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Dang, KC, you're truly doing it right

FB- Doug

Doug’s right. Somehow, KC, you convey the air of having more time than the rest of us - time to do a job right, time to take the right photo. I’m always running from one thing to another - I have shaped my life so I seldom have enough time to do anything properly. 

I’d love to see an anthology of your pictures - they really convey “what it’s all about”. 

Anyway, enough brown-nosing, but keep them coming!

E

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mr. Ed said:

Doug’s right. Somehow, KC, you convey the air of having more time than the rest of us - time to do a job right, time to take the right photo. I’m always running from one thing to another - I have shaped my life so I seldom have enough time to do anything properly. 

I’d love to see an anthology of your pictures - they really convey “what it’s all about”. 

Anyway, enough brown-nosing, but keep them coming!

E

I grew up with an old Southern expression I aspired to, and achieved a few times...... "It ain't braggin' if you can really do it."

It's not brown-nosing if you're telling the simple truth

FB- Doug

7 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Not to mention little cabins, little trees and little streams.

He was the Mr. Rogers of art.

Oh and now we pick on Mr Rodgers.  Mr R was brilliant. Bob Ross..... was not.

• Like 1

Me aground last evening after the lovely commuter to port passed me to starboard and cut me off at lorises to secure their spot at the local wooden boat show yesterday. It would have been nice if they had not overtaken me and made me sail into shallow water. The tide was up at 2:30am so I went back and moved it by hand...it took and hour...

233D5AB1-425E-462A-B92A-F077BA00CFCC.png

The least they could've done was to offer to pull you out of the mud.

That wasn’t going to happen. They were unaware of the rules of the road for boats under tow. 

I finally got it to the dock and all is well!

069D281D-C1B4-4710-95AE-16D4DBD731A7.jpeg

F748E2BA-08A3-4C2C-9779-58D283A92EF0.jpeg

• Like 1

S2 7.9 one of the things it does very well.  (Obviously getting close to shore so its crew can go for a swim on one of the beaches of Choctawhatchee Bay.)

087D46E9-E415-415B-8E84-73B9892DC981.jpeg

024D06AD-A092-405A-BE5D-20F8CF2A4602.jpeg

• Like 3

Haven’t posted in a while, like CL I was on a self imposed time out. Currently in Owls Head NS, hoping to be in Maine by weeks end.  AKA Joli

53DEBB63-9FE8-4AF9-84ED-69B5478FF581.jpeg

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Innocent Bystander said:

Good to see you back online!

Ditto

Not exactly of my boat not sailing...yesterday morning's land clouds over Ocracoke astern. Almost makes working worth it. :)

image.png.2b4f21f82866f92db17677960669dc2d.png

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:

Not exactly of my boat not sailing...yesterday morning's land clouds over Ocracoke astern. Almost makes working worth it. :)

image.png.2b4f21f82866f92db17677960669dc2d.png

Are you sure that's Ocracoke? I don't see the water tower.

Best adventure you can have, out of sight of land in 6 feet or less of water..........

FB- Doug

22 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Are you sure that's Ocracoke? I don't see the water tower.

Water tower was visible two-thirds of the way to Lower Middle. 

Only one other sailboat in Ocracoke this weekend, and one single sail on the horizon yesterday from there to Bath. Where are the sailors?

2 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:

Water tower was visible two-thirds of the way to Lower Middle. 

Only one other sailboat in Ocracoke this weekend, and one single sail on the horizon yesterday from there to Bath. Where are the sailors?

One of the things I like about this area is the lack of crowds.

FB- Doug

• Like 1

On 8/4/2019 at 5:46 PM, Bryanjb said:

Haven’t posted in a while, like CL I was on a self imposed time out. Currently in Owls Head NS, hoping to be in Maine by weeks end.  AKA Joli

53DEBB63-9FE8-4AF9-84ED-69B5478FF581.jpeg

If you get anywhere near Portland after a week from today, send me a pm. It would be fun to meet- congratulations on your trip.

Arrived in Kennebunkport last night.  Sailed from Boothbay after the Downeast Challenge Ocean Race.

Image may contain: sky, ocean, outdoor and water

• Like 5

On 8/6/2019 at 6:58 AM, MauiPunter said:

Arrived in Kennebunkport last night.  Sailed from Boothbay after the Downeast Challenge Ocean Race.

Image may contain: sky, ocean, outdoor and water

Waitaminute. What are bullrails doing there?

5 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Waitaminute. What are bullrails doing there?

There are none.   Those are white dock protectors. Like a hard foam on the side of the slip.

Here is a daylight shot.

Image may contain: sky, ocean, boat, cloud, outdoor and water

• Like 1

Here is another shot of us "not sailing" but we are motoring, just leaving Boothbay at 5am.

Image may contain: sky, ocean, mountain, boat, outdoor, water and nature

• Like 2

Had a great time in Halifax, visited downtown and were able to meet Sculpin and his wife!  Very fun and thank you for the rum, looking forward to trying it  

We’re back on the water now headed to MDI. 

In the photo we’re the boat on the right in front of the giant catamaran. We enjoyed our stay at the RNSYS and highly recommend a visit here if in Halifax. 

7AE40B75-7A44-48D2-B8D0-C72F73823E55.jpeg

Since I never provided an update to my original post three years ago debating whether to stick a new boat into a fractional or charter program or buy an older boat just for ourselves...

Pinniped.thumb.png.49165d290cd5c12ec482b859bc585c4b.png

Unfortunately, we overshot our mark somewhat.

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, ChrisJD said:

Since I never provided an update to my original post three years ago debating whether to stick a new boat into a fractional or charter program or buy an older boat just for ourselves...

Pinniped.thumb.png.49165d290cd5c12ec482b859bc585c4b.png

Unfortunately, we overshot our mark somewhat.

402?  Nice. Where do you keep her?

2 minutes ago, monsoon said:

402?  Nice. Where do you keep her?

Thanks. She's much more fun than a boat that size and comfort has any right to be. We tried very hard to buy a smaller boat, but had three sales fall through in the course of a month, and she was still available, so we went with our "forever" boat (unless we end up living aboard at some point) as our first boat.

We keep her in Salem MA.  20 years from now when my name comes up on the wait list, maybe we'll move her around the peninsula into Marblehead.

• Like 1

YUSOFh2.jpg

Going in after 8 days on the hard stripping off Poli Glow/Zep floor finish and recoating. The Poli Glow has much better UV durability from my observations. Next year we're threatening to do the bottom. We'll see how our resolve holds out. At least we wouldn't have to work from a 6' high scaffold.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, mmayer said:

in greece

astra pix for listing 001.jpg

Lovely!!!!  What type/design?

We've spent four days not sailing, in Northeast Harbor. With block ice for the box (at the NEH harbormasters), LED lights, smaller devices - iphones, ipads - to charge, our meager house bank (2 GRP 27) is holding up fine, no engine running time needed.

An added benefit to our energy conservation regime, perhaps: I've found that I haven't pulled out a single tool to 'fix' something, rare for our nearly 60 year old boat and many parts. 

NEH is a great place for us to recharge. Hiking, fresh provisions, water for the boat (all we needed, haven't moved the gauge on our 80 gal diesel tank). Time to get sailing again. 

751919099_SunsetEggemogginReachWoodenboat.thumb.jpg.07e8ad3b8387f5b1477a756a428ead3e.jpg

• Like 4

The yellow motorboat behind you is Sweetie, new ride for the gent who built Restive. We had dinner aboard Wednesday night in Frenchboro. 

Come to think of it, that must be at ERR, as he has his Center Harbor 31 tied alongside, and I'm behind you as well, right over your horseshoe ring.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kris Cringle said:

We've spent four days not sailing, in Northeast Harbor. With block ice for the box (at the NEH harbormasters), LED lights, smaller devices - iphones, ipads - to charge, our meager house bank (2 GRP 27) is holding up fine, no engine running time needed.

An added benefit to our energy conservation regime, perhaps: I've found that I haven't pulled out a single tool to 'fix' something, rare for our nearly 60 year old boat and many parts. 

NEH is a great place for us to recharge. Hiking, fresh provisions, water for the boat (all we needed, haven't moved the gauge on our 80 gal diesel tank). Time to get sailing again. 

751919099_SunsetEggemogginReachWoodenboat.thumb.jpg.07e8ad3b8387f5b1477a756a428ead3e.jpg

You’ll need more wind if you want to do that.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Cruisin Loser said:

The yellow motorboat behind you is Sweetie, new ride for the gent who built Restive. We had dinner aboard Wednesday night in Frenchboro. 

Come to think of it, that must be at ERR, as he has his Center Harbor 31 tied alongside, and I'm behind you as well, right over your horseshoe ring.

Good eye. That was the sunset Friday night. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ds797 said:

Lovely!!!!  What type/design?

I’m thinking it’s a Deerfoot 2-62 but I guess we’ll have to wait to hear from the very lucky owner to be sure.

On 8/9/2019 at 10:55 AM, ChrisJD said:

Holy moly, @Kris Cringle.  You should print calendars with those photos.

The guy has talent.   I would hire him to photo my boat!  :D

10 hours ago, MauiPunter said:

The guy has talent.   I would hire him to photo my boat!  :D

Yup, better than most professionals. 

Renaming ceremony with the presence of king Neptune himself.

WhatsApp Image 2019-08-16 at 22.59.10.jpeg

• Like 7

4 hours ago, bgytr said:

Cruising with the fam on the Chesapeake last week

20190816_100526.jpg

I thought you wrote "the farm" and I was looking for signs of agricultural activity. Nice, what boat?

• Like 1

A Ted Hood something.

Bristol?

There is something compelling about heading out in the early morning.

About 6am Friday morning, early start to get up the river for a photography shoot, which is a pretty laid back 4 hour motor up to the city. 

I was nice cruising up the river listening to the peak hour traffic reports on the radio. :)

1446636475_IMG_1051(2).thumb.JPG.d8b007cb7821afb522dd26d266eeb2f5.JPG

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Ishmael said:

I thought you wrote "the farm" and I was looking for signs of agricultural activity. Nice, what boat?

Hood Gulfstar 40.

No farming but lotsa paddleboarding!

5 hours ago, shaggybaxter said:

About 6am Friday morning, early start to get up the river for a photography shoot, which is a pretty laid back 4 hour motor up to the city. 

I was nice cruising up the river listening to the peak hour traffic reports on the radio. :)

Agreed. There's not much more satisfying than sailing over to the Maryland Eastern Shore while staring up at vehicles parked atop the Chesapeake Bay Bridge.

Early this summer, my wife drove over to meet me (because she had a job obligation, not because she hates to sail).  When she griped about how many hours it took her to drive, I looked up startled and said "That's how long it took me to sail here."

6 hours ago, bgytr said:

Hood Gulfstar 40.

I love those boats. Hard to find. 

8 hours ago, shaggybaxter said:

My sister and my b.i.l. leave near to you (Melbourne). 

19 hours ago, Elegua said:
On 8/18/2019 at 5:47 AM, bgytr said:

Hood Gulfstar 40.

Friend / dock neighbor with a Hood Gulfstar 40. They are great boats, all-around. I love boats that can go in all the skinny water we have in the SouthEast US, and this is one of the best.

FB- Doug

Come on now.  I come to this thread because misery loves company.  What you folks have posted there is not "not sailing."  And its killing me.  Because this is not sailing!

file2-33.gif

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Wess said:

Come on now.  I come to this thread because misery loves company.  What you folks have posted there is not "not sailing."  And its killing me.  Because this is not sailing!

file2-33.gif

for some reason I look at that photo and hear Mack the Knife

1 hour ago, Wess said:

file2-33.gif

:o:blink: Whoa...serious surgery.  Insurance or DIY repair?  It does look to be coming along. You'll be back on the water eventually.

1 hour ago, Ajax said:

:o:blink: Whoa...serious surgery.  Insurance or DIY repair?  It does look to be coming along. You'll be back on the water eventually.

I am GC-ing 4 subs (rigging, mechanical, glass/structure, and electrical) and doing some work myself.  Insurance did cover the damages which were/are extensive to put it mildly. There is a facebook thread that evolved to talking about what wasn't damaged.  That was a dang short list.  My only recommendation re lightning protection is have GOOD insurance.  I could write a book on this mess but there is a good chance we come out of it all stronger and better.  Or bankrupt and disillusioned but for now I am still an optimist.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wess said:

file2-33.gif

Perfect opportunity to put in a bow thruster.

:lol:

27 minutes ago, slap said:

Perfect opportunity to put in a bow thruster.

:lol:

Uhhh.... that is the stern quarter.  But we have holes in the bow as well.  Just not nearly as big.

I will say owning this beast has given me greater appreciation for folks who put bow thrusters on boats.  We are ma and pa (nearing 60s) owner operators who would never ever hire a captain or crew.  We enjoy double handing.  But with the windage and wing mast, just getting this thing in and out of slips is an adventure that frequently challenges our 40 years (each) of sailing experience. 

4 hours ago, Wess said:

file2-33.gif

That looked like "not sailing" as in kinda like "sinking".   :o

3 minutes ago, MauiPunter said:

That looked like "not sailing" as in kinda like "sinking".   :o

No sinking was incurred in the making of this non sailing event.

Such are the joys of cored unleaded boats (trimaran) and CRC Minute Mend epoxy putty which cures underwater. I didn't even get my toes wet.  OK I did while diving the boat...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Friend / dock neighbor with a Hood Gulfstar 40. They are great boats, all-around. I love boats that can go in all the skinny water we have in the SouthEast US, and this is one of the best.

FB- Doug

Ya nice on the Chesapeake for sure to draw 4 feet.  Still goes upwind well with the draft at 11ft 4in, board down.  Got a few years of work to do on her yet..

20190809_092139.jpg

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, bgytr said:

Ya nice on the Chesapeake for sure to draw 4 feet.  Still goes upwind well with the draft at 11ft 4in, board down.  Got a few years of work to do on her yet..

20190809_092139.jpg

I love centerboard boats.  Unfortunately, not many modern designs have them.  I know there some out there, but not like in 80s when you could buy a model and choose the centerboard option on MANY production boats like Sabre, C&C, Beneteau, Morgan, Swan, Baltic, Tartan, and on and on....

30 minutes ago, bgytr said:

20190809_092139.jpg

I have the somewhat less good looking, but I think equally versatile Hood 38.  A slight evolution of the big bottom. It's amazing how well they sail in light air, isn't it... I've also done a lot of work and still have a lot to go.

LAGc5QYi50JdbIwVUpXp44J4szrVRvzWpftkpYVb

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elegua said:

I have the somewhat less good looking, but I think equally versatile Hood 38.  A slight evolution of the big bottom. It's amazing how well they sail in light air, isn't it... I've also done a lot of work and still have a lot to go.

LAGc5QYi50JdbIwVUpXp44J4szrVRvzWpftkpYVb

Waquiez?  Ya those are nice.. yup low wetted surface and a deep foil goes well upwind and all around in light to medium.  Was sailing last week in 9-11 true going 6 kts upwind.  Not bad for an old 70s clunker like mine.. crushed a newish 45 foot catamaran upwind coming out of Eastern Bay. Not a rocketship, but dern comfy ride.  Bet the Hood-Waquiez sails well in the same stuff.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MauiPunter said:

I love centerboard boats.  Unfortunately, not many modern designs have them.  I know there some out there, but not like in 80s when you could buy a model and choose the centerboard option on MANY production boats like Sabre, C&C, Beneteau, Morgan, Swan, Baltic, Tartan, and on and on....

Ya centerboards, if well designed are great for shoal areas.  Guess they're out of vogue nowadays.. yup 60s to 80s there were lots of em.  

1 hour ago, bgytr said:

Waquiez?  Ya those are nice.. yup low wetted surface and a deep foil goes well upwind and all around in light to medium.  Was sailing last week in 9-11 true going 6 kts upwind.  Not bad for an old 70s clunker like mine.. crushed a newish 45 foot catamaran upwind coming out of Eastern Bay. Not a rocketship, but dern comfy ride.  Bet the Hood-Waquiez sails well in the same stuff.

True, cats don’t do well in light air.  But.  I’d a been doing 7 plus to weather and holding almost as high as you.  Less than 8 knots true? Well,.... you win.

6 hours ago, bgytr said:

The best looking one is the 43 Hinckley - the extra length really makes a difference- again, hard to find. Light to moderate they do well, and in heavier stuff the shortish waterline limits the fun. Surprisingly stiff for a CB. 

You should share your refit as you get her together. 

• Like 1

Anchored in one of my favorite spots outside of Stonington. 

872005212_Shiversanchorage_.thumb.jpg.b393974826dd9495a61c414d5399cbe1.jpg

It was so nice, we stayed another day this month. 

859642568_ShiversanchorageMAwalking.thumb.jpg.cdb72fa7d0ffdb9a3881d8d27499f9c2.jpg

It's a good spot for boat portraits. 

1192590882_ShiversanchorageXmasdusk.thumb.jpg.09caa6e5284b977024baea67e89d27e0.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Kris Cringle said:

1192590882_ShiversanchorageXmasdusk.thumb.jpg.09caa6e5284b977024baea67e89d27e0.jpg

Nice

3 hours ago, Kris Cringle said:

Anchored in one of my favorite spots outside of Stonington. 

872005212_Shiversanchorage_.thumb.jpg.b393974826dd9495a61c414d5399cbe1.jpg

It was so nice, we stayed another day this month. 

859642568_ShiversanchorageMAwalking.thumb.jpg.cdb72fa7d0ffdb9a3881d8d27499f9c2.jpg

The Alden Challenger, right?  Ya I think I mentioned in this thread a while back, my family had one when I was a kid.  Sweet ride, but my old man used me and my brother as varnish monkeys to keep her up. Guess we had to do something as teenagers...

Really nice inside, bright and airy.  

• Like 1

On August 18, 2019 at 11:17 AM, Elegua said:

I've seen a perfect one in a shed in Baddeck. Hasn't seen water in 4 years, but is in incredible shape. Her owner also has a 1950, 47' S&S/Nevins custom in the shed in beautiful restored shape.  The S&S has done 9 Bermuda races, the 1953 Buenos Aires-Rio, the 1957 Bermuda-Santander race, and the 1957 Fastnet. 

51 minutes ago, Cruisin Loser said:

I've seen a perfect one in a shed in Baddeck. Hasn't seen water in 4 years, but is in incredible shape. Her owner also has a 1950, 47' S&S/Nevins custom in the shed in beautiful restored shape.  The S&S has done 9 Bermuda races, the 1953 Buenos Aires-Rio, the 1957 Bermuda-Santander race, and the 1957 Fastnet. 

Two amazaballs boats -  must be a person of wealth and taste. Baddeck always has a good collection of interesting boats. Restive would fit right in - a shot of her against the houses would be calendar material. 

Here is my boat not sailing. High and dry on a mud bank just south of Charleston on the ICW. It's a tough run with 6.5ft of draft. At least the weather was nice and 2.5 hrs later we were on the move again.

high and dry.png

• Like 1

17 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Isn't that near Lake Wobegon?

Can't be. I don't see any piles.

On 8/19/2019 at 10:32 PM, Elegua said:

The best looking one is the 43 Hinckley - the extra length really makes a difference- again, hard to find. Light to moderate they do well, and in heavier stuff the shortish waterline limits the fun. Surprisingly stiff for a CB. 

You should share your refit as you get her together. 

Actually, the best is the Hinckley H45, they only built one. An extended counter stern H43 with a mizzen for a yawl rig. Faster in all offwind conditions than the H43, and gives the jib and jigger option. The lovely interior you would expect.

We looked at a nice H43 before we bought the SW-42, the 42 was a lot brighter below. The Hinckley/Hood 43 is a killer light air boat. Little known fact, John Lennon sailed one to Newport to Bermuda, not racing, with a guy I know. Wild story.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Cruisin Loser said:

Actually, the best is the Hinckley H45, they only built one. An extended counter stern H43 with a mizzen for a yawl rig. Faster in all offwind conditions than the H43, and gives the jib and jigger option. The lovely interior you would expect.

We looked at a nice H43 before we bought the SW-42, the 42 was a lot brighter below. The Hinckley/Hood 43 is a killer light air boat. Little known fact, John Lennon sailed one to Newport to Bermuda, not racing, with a guy I know. Wild story.

Yawls are draggy and low aspect upwind and it's a lot of running and standing rigging to maintain, but they sure are a practical rig for cruising - good looking too. Deck prisms just can't fully make-up for port lights. 

John Lennon - I knew he sailed to Bermuda but not that he did it on a H43. I'll bet the story is wild. 

• Like 1

We'd only just sold Drift about 12 hours prior to this, went down to clean out the last of our gear and found her like this...

enhance

enhance

enhance

Fortunately, only a minor scratch to the starboard bulwark and no new leaks. The new owner just shrugged it off!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Willin' said:

We'd only just sold Drift about 12 hours prior to this, went down to clean out the last of our gear and found her like this...

enhance

enhance

enhance

Fortunately, only a minor scratch to the starboard bulwark and no new leaks. The new owner just shrugged it off!

Yikes! Having lived just above the waterfall, I well know that stretch of water. I assume the new owner left her there? Lucky. 

19 minutes ago, Kris Cringle said:

Yikes! Having lived just above the waterfall, I well know that stretch of water. I assume the new owner left her there? Lucky. 

It had re-floated before he made it down to the boat. As soon as there was room on the long float we moved her there to deeper water. A little disappointing that the Harbor Master tucked us and Appledore,  which also had taken the bottom the day before, in that shallow corner, but none of us had counted on that big tide. Bad seamanship on our part. Fortunately, no harm.

• Like 1

Fitting DRIFT is back in Camden Harbor. I first saw her a few yards from that dock 20 years ago. That was before her conversion, Ronny was so proud of DRIFT. 

3 minutes ago, Kris Cringle said:

Fitting DRIFT is back in Camden Harbor. I first saw her a few yards from that dock 20 years ago. That was before her conversion, Ronny was so proud of DRIFT. 

The new owner is having Lyman Morse install all new state of the art navionics with plans for additional fuel tankage, battery capacity, watermaker and AC before taking her to Florida. It must be nice to have money.

The harbor master in Camden let you park the boat there overnight when there clearly would be a draft problem?  Odd.    

29 minutes ago, eliboat said:

The harbor master in Camden let you park the boat there overnight when there clearly would be a draft problem?  Odd.    

I thought so too, but it was Windjammer Weekend and he was kinda busy. Schooner Appledore is a local boat with a very experienced skipper and he was taken off guard too. Accidents happen. Fortunately it was a soft bottom!

In the vein of Willin's post, my boat not sailing, crappy pic taken by a friend sailing by:

487635743_2019-08-1510_57_55.thumb.jpg.d8151ffaa4fed44884123366d0dfe5be.jpg

And another pic of us not sailing, short haul to peen the burr along the keel and daub some bottom paint:

IMG_0923.thumb.jpg.d13cfa77bcf4a59115f64675569ea807.jpg

• Like 3