IStream

Show your boat not sailing

33 minutes ago, Elegua said:

Whoa...that's pretty brickhouse even if it was a favorable angle.  There's enough unknown stuff even in those waters I, "know", that I know for sure I've been lucky without even knowing it.  

Yeah, we inspected very carefully at the floors at the fore and aft ends of the keel and in the galley area, no shifting of floorboards or anything. In the short haul we looked for paint cracked at the fore of aft end of the keel, and where the lead meets the deadwood. Nada. Had the guys who built her aboard searching for signs of any damage at all, the conclusion was that we should go sailing. I'm convinced that this boat is at least as strong as my Hinckley, but faster and prettier.

Here's Restive and Sparky side by side in Bermuda:

821842998_RestiveandSparkyinBermuda.thumb.jpg.5fd3799ccc8aa2e43dd5a6c1af25c841.jpg

• Like 4

Good to see she's coming along, Wess! Don't forget the floating and sailing pics when the time comes!

• Like 1

LOL, I can't wait to get back to the sailing thread @Willin'.  But gosh and golly @Cruisin Loserstarted this page with another pic of pretty pics of boats in the water.  So you must now suffer again with me.

See those tape marks (there are 3 look closely).  Ugh; new damage discovered 2 months in and about 96 hour from (now delayed) relaunch.  You can also see nicely repaired areas ready for bottom paint and and the prop on a nice new engine.

#socloseyetsofar  #sopainful  #lightningsucksBAD #hateallyourfloatingboatpicsLOL 

file-137.gif

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Willin' said:

That fence should keep the livestock from wandering! Or keep the Kiwis away from your prized ewe!

Puppy filter?

- Stumbling

• Like 1

Don't worry, you'll be sailing all winter, telling us what a bunch of pussies we are.

8 minutes ago, Ajax said:

Don't worry, you'll be sailing all winter, telling us what a bunch of pussies we are.

No need to say it. Just post the pics and we'll all feel it low key.

6 minutes ago, Ajax said:

LOL the way my luck has been running the bay will freeze hard.  I ain't complaining (and for sure the boat is a problem I am privileged to have) as we had an amazing run of blissful easy life over almost 4 decades where everything came up aces, but holy sh*t the last 4 years has brought nothing but bad luck into our lives. The boats was our escape and sanctuary.  Now its just another problem to work through.  OK, enough bitching.  Head down and marching forward...

3 minutes ago, Wess said:

...OK, enough bitching.  Head down and marching forward...

And that's part of why you had an amazing run of blissful easy life over almost 4 decades.

• Like 1

On 9/9/2019 at 11:47 AM, Cruisin Loser said:

In the vein of Willin's post, my boat not sailing, crappy pic taken by a friend sailing by:

487635743_2019-08-1510_57_55.thumb.jpg.d8151ffaa4fed44884123366d0dfe5be.jpg

And another pic of us not sailing, short haul to peen the burr along the keel and daub some bottom paint:

IMG_0923.thumb.jpg.d13cfa77bcf4a59115f64675569ea807.jpg

Good builder!

532469C8-C580-467A-B2F4-F4C91FF28F84.jpeg

4 hours ago, Bryanjb said:

Good builder!

532469C8-C580-467A-B2F4-F4C91FF28F84.jpeg

When were you in Brooklin?

Not long ago but everywhere from Algonac Michigan to the east coast is “not long ago”, we’ve traveled 3,000 miles in the past two months.  The only thing slowing us down from getting further south are these hurricanes.  We’re anxious to depart the cold and damp weather.  Maine and Nova Scotia were beautiful but they are not for us. 

• Like 3

Not sailing, a boat is a comfortable photography blind. 

5:45 a.m., the muffled engine on a passing skiff churns a softened pattern into Perry Creek (Vinalhaven Island, Penobscot Bay, Me.)

1269660880_PerryCreek5-45FoyBrowncommute9-1-19.thumb.jpg.360bab76d487e93fce98a6eb0889de09.jpg

10 minutes later the sun was up and the flat water, gone for the rest of the day. Most of a day, is a waste of time. 

• Like 3

Not my boat and not sailing. Portland, OR often has interesting light. 

68270052_10157893267252214_3525239496482

• Like 2

On 9/9/2019 at 11:47 AM, Cruisin Loser said:

In the vein of Willin's post, my boat not sailing, crappy pic taken by a friend sailing by:

And another pic of us not sailing, short haul to peen the burr along the keel and daub some bottom paint:

Cruisin', is Restive a 2006 Alden, with a modern underbody?

28 minutes ago, Bull City said:

Cruisin', is Restive a 2006 Alden, with a modern underbody?

Yes, the pic Bryanjb posted is in the construction shed at Brooklin Boat Yard, part of their "Wall of Fame". The bottom pic you copied is her keel, she also has a 6' deep carbon spade rudder, and an air draft of 74' with a carbon mast, on a 33' waterline. her light to medium air performance is pretty astounding. 

I'd love to get you behind the wheel someday. The touch is amazing, and she can spin in her own length.

I've been meaning to ask you, CL, about your experience building Restive at BBY.  IIRC, in 2005-6 Bob Stephens ( whom had apprenticed under Joel White) was the house NA before striking out on his own. How did you come to choose that yard, that design and did they offer a competing design to try to keep the money in house? Did the Alden design need to be modified for composite construction or was it your custom (OMFG!) design?

My old boat, long before I owned her,  had been maintained and had a significant amount of structural work done by BBY back in the 1990s. During my first ever ERR, around 2006,  we were becalmed  in the Reach and Vortex was stuck next to us. Steve White chatted us up while we were waiting for the wind and gave me a stack of history about the boat I didn't know. It blew me away how much he retained about a small boat they'd worked on  a long time ago.

Just last summer I was tied up at the town float in Belfast and a guy comes down to tell me he remembers working on Drift (named Serenade back then) in the 90s and had seen me out the day before rail down on jib & jigger in a blow and recognized her from afar. Those guys have an amazing institutional memory and apparently a not huge employee turnover rate. Great yard, great crew, just a little beyond my wallet when it comes time for my next boat!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Willin' said:

I've been meaning to ask you

I'll provide a detailed answer tomorrow, it's a good story, but I'm three glasses in tonight. 

2 hours ago, Cruisin Loser said:

I'd love to get you behind the wheel someday. The touch is amazing, and she can spin in her own length.

I would like that very much, not just the sailing, but sailing with you, and with the son of a woman who was a brilliant painter.

It could happen. Maine ain't that far away for a retired bloke.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Cruisin Loser said:

I'll provide a detailed answer tomorrow, it's a good story, but I'm three glasses in tonight. 

BTW, don't mean to pry... I've had a few myself and may be a little more inquisitive than my normal, reserved self.

Hmmm, Inquisitive... there's a potential name for an expedition yacht.

Loving your pics @Kris Cringle and @Elegua but you are killing me in this not sailing thread.  Be warned; I have work pics and I am not afraid to use them. 

The colors were so vivid as I completed my early morning run and the sun glittered like diamonds off the ripples in the water.  The breeze and river beckoned...

But alas there is still much electrical work to do and the boat was still on hard.

New motor - check

Rig repairs - check

Bottom repairs - nearly complete

Electrical repairs - uh well, uh, kinda coming along... its not as bad as it looks... I hope to splash again soon??!?

file-139.gif

13 hours ago, Bull City said:

I would like that very much, not just the sailing, but sailing with you, and with the son of a woman who was a brilliant painter.

It could happen. Maine ain't that far away for a retired bloke.

Just so you know, Lola-Jane is 90 and still painting, actually better than ever, although the output has slowed the quality is amazing.

Here's one done by a friend of hers, of the marina next to her home, that I'm considering, 36 x 48 oil on canvas.

70932415_2453439208313046_8979797062744801280_n.thumb.jpg.d47c4ced854000cecd193b80ea829729.jpg

• Like 6

Wow. That looks incredible even on the computer screen. I imagine it's spectacular in person.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IStream said:

Well, there goes September.

I hate you.  But seriously I am aiming to be complete later this week or early next.  And then I escape this thread forever... or until God sends another lightning bolt or my next haul out whichever comes first!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Willin' said:

I've been meaning to ask you, CL, about your experience building Restive at BBY.  IIRC, in 2005-6 Bob Stephens ( whom had apprenticed under Joel White) was the house NA before striking out on his own. How did you come to choose that yard, that design and did they offer a competing design to try to keep the money in house? Did the Alden design need to be modified for composite construction or was it your custom (OMFG!) design?

Short answer, I did not have her built, a friend did, and yes, she is full custom from a blank sheet of paper. His previous boat had been a custom Alden, built by P.E. Luke of Boothbay. Here she is not sailing:

Restive-1.thumb.jpg.f5795a49df6b7326170bfa7ed5c68ff8.jpg

He just wanted an update.

How we met, and how we became such friends is discussed here:https://www.jamesgblaine.me/rescue-at-sea-a-series

Bear in mind that nobody interviewed me for that series, and my recollections of certain events differ from "Eric"'s.

Following those events, G and I became quite good friends, sailing together a lot on Restive and cruising in company downeast. A couple of years later he called me at Christmas to ask if I would consider owning Restive. Of course, the decision would have to be my wife's, as she was emotionally attached to Sparky. After a couple of dinner's aboard Restive I asked her about the deal and she replied "it's destiny, do it". I love that girl.

Sparky was donated to Maine Maritime, and now belongs to a well known yacht broker in the Newport area. Beth LOVES Restive, she is comfortable, beautiful, fast, and build to the absolute highest standard. She has a mooring in Center Harbor (Brooklin) and stays there for full winter service. She will never suffer neglect under  my stewardship, and the yard treats us (and the boat) fantastic. Prior to getting Restive, G had been trying to convince me to build my own custom there, he loved the experience. 

Here's a girl who's happy with her boat:

859721794_RobandBeth.thumb.png.990743d95a6c8440b09ee420f829d22e.png

• Like 7

31 minutes ago, Wess said:

I hate you.  But seriously I am aiming to be complete later this week or early next.  And then I escape this thread forever... or until God sends another lightning bolt or my next haul out whichever comes first!

Sorry.

7 minutes ago, IStream said:

Sorry.

Any boat pic which includes a high-velocity carpet drying blower has sadness built in. :( Go Wess! It is a boat worthy of your hard work.

5 hours ago, Cruisin Loser said:

Short answer, I did not have her built, a friend did, and yes, she is full custom from a blank sheet of paper. His previous boat had been a custom Alden, built by P.E. Luke of Boothbay. Here she is not sailing:

How we met, and how we became such friends is discussed here:https://www.jamesgblaine.me/rescue-at-sea-a-series

Bear in mind that nobody interviewed me for that series, and my recollections of certain events differ from "Eric"'s.

Following those events, G and I became quite good friends, sailing together a lot on Restive and cruising in company downeast. A couple of years later he called me at Christmas to ask if I would consider owning Restive. Of course, the decision would have to be my wife's, as she was emotionally attached to Sparky. After a couple of dinner's aboard Restive I asked her about the deal and she replied "it's destiny, do it". I love that girl.

Sparky was donated to Maine Maritime, and now belongs to a well known yacht broker in the Newport area. Beth LOVES Restive, she is comfortable, beautiful, fast, and build to the absolute highest standard. She has a mooring in Center Harbor (Brooklin) and stays there for full winter service. She will never suffer neglect under  my stewardship, and the yard treats us (and the boat) fantastic. Prior to getting Restive, G had been trying to convince me to build my own custom there, he loved the experience. 

Wow! Great read and WFD!!!!!  Seriously impressed and now very sorry I wasn't able to join you for a leg of the Classic Races!

23 hours ago, Cruisin Loser said:

Now THAT's a sea story!

On 9/16/2019 at 11:11 AM, Cruisin Loser said:

Wonderful story and a happy wife is the cherry on top!  So happy for both of you. 

Strangely enough the wife and I didn't look nearly that relaxed, clean, or happy (OK we were happy it was done) post the waxing and painting LOL.  I am so looking forward to hopefully next week getting (almost) out of this not sailing thread as we should be floating (and I pray not leaking) and maybe even SAILING!!! 

#reallynotsailing

PS - Still a fair amount of electrical work to do. 

file1.gif

• Like 2

Love this pic as "the shadow knows" that long and skinny is fast and reveals the underwater profile with the sun at this angle.  Soon there will hopefully be no shadow as the ground is replaced by water.  And I pray no weeping (me, the wife, or the boat bottom) when she is next hauled.

I gotta find me a Bruce Springsteen CD (yea I am old). 

file.gif

15 minutes ago, Wess said:

Strangely enough the wife and I didn't look nearly that relaxed, clean, or happy (OK we were happy it was done) post the waxing and painting LOL.  I am so looking forward to hopefully next week getting (almost) out of this not sailing thread as we should be floating (and I pray not leaking) and maybe even SAILING!!! 

#reallynotsailing

PS - Still a fair amount of electrical work to do. 

file1.gif

Looks Fast!

On 9/16/2019 at 3:17 PM, Willin' said:

Wow! Great read and WFD!!!!!  Seriously impressed and now very sorry I wasn't able to join you for a leg of the Classic Races!

I'm sorry too. I'll be sailing the area next week, hope you're around.

On 9/17/2019 at 9:32 AM, Hukilau said:

Now THAT's a sea story!

Thanks. It is a pretty good tale, if I don't say so myself.

7 hours ago, Bryanjb said:

Wonderful story and a happy wife is the cherry on top!  So happy for both of you. 

Thanks, I've seen pics of your sweetie, I think we're both doing pretty darned well. 

2 hours ago, Cruisin Loser said:

Thanks, I've seen pics of your sweetie, I think we're both doing pretty darned well. 

Amen brother, we married up for sure. 

Time to roll, the bits and chunks that failed are new again.  Any one else ever break their water pump shaft?

8F5168D0-FA03-4EE8-883B-44856D81AEBD.jpeg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bryanjb said:

Time to roll, the bits and chunks that failed are new again.  Any one else ever break their water pump shaft?

Fair winds.

On 9/18/2019 at 5:40 PM, Cruisin Loser said:

I'm sorry too. I'll be sailing the area next week, hope you're around.

Thanks. It is a pretty good tale, if I don't say so myself.

Excellently written account - very nicely done and a great way to learn about both boats.

On 9/20/2019 at 7:32 PM, Bryanjb said:

What's that massive piece of hardware outboard the winch? Attachment bollard for turning blocks?

Those are the turning blocks for the genoa’s, behind the winch is another set to turn kite sheets across the deck to the weather winch. 

• Like 1

I am nearly freed from you heathens that live in this "not sailing" thread!  :P

I can see the water...

file.gif

• Like 2

Wish I could remember who it was cause I want to say thanks but somebody posted a great flag pic and gave me an idea for our boat.  The new solar panel post makes the perfect flag staff!

file2.gif

And finally I am almost free of this thread but even while technically sailing I still don't feel like we are sailing cause the interior and electronics still need to be completed.

Last night was interesting. Engine failure 100 yards out of the slip - we purposefully ran it aground and I fixed it and then we continued. Interior and electronic are a bit of a potential fire hazard still - in other words nothing works yet... not even running lights. We didn’t hoist the main for fear of knocking over work in progress down below. And on pulling back into the slip we kissed... no bumped.... no punched a piling! But I wasn’t driving when it happened so I have some leverage over the better half LOL

Once all the repairs are complete and we sail her fully loaded up I shall FINALLY be free of this landlocked thread and return to the "show your boat sailing" thread.  Can't wait!!!

file3.gif

• Like 5

It's great to see the progress and it'll be sad when you go. Please come visit sometime. Pics in a slip or on a mooring ball are always welcome, you don't have to be miserable to come here! ;)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wess said:

Closer yet @IStream

file.gif

You've got 4 days left to prove me wrong!

EDIT: Better right than fast. Take all the time you need, there'll be no "I told you so'" from me!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, IStream said:

You've got 4 days left to prove me wrong!

EDIT: Better right than fast. Take all the time you need, there'll be no "I told you so'" from me!

LOL I never thought you would and if there is anything I want to be sure is done right and carefully it’s the electrical system. Fire sucks; especially on boats at sea. But , I think I may have that. Pic of the boat all lit up and not on fire forthcoming I hope. But all the interior cushions and decor back in... and all the nav gear all calibrated.... doubtful. Fully working up the boat to fully powered up rig is extremely doubtful. I made some tweaks to the rudder. Not an NA so taking a big chance there. But I want really light perfectly balanced helm. So many reasons for a slow work up. I take things slowly and incrementally. 

12 hours ago, Ajax said:

I officially evict you from this thread!

Not after last night’s debacle. This rewiring project is a bitch. I thought the bottom work was bad but I clearly had nooooo idea.  I am lucky the lit up boat photo promised @IStream wasn’t a propane explosion and fire. Back to work for me (and my checkbook). Sigh...

I hate this thread. 

3 hours ago, Wess said:

Not after last night’s debacle. This rewiring project is a bitch. I thought the bottom work was bad but I clearly had nooooo idea.  I am lucky the lit up boat photo promised @IStream wasn’t a propane explosion and fire. Back to work for me (and my checkbook). Sigh...

I hate this thread. 

But think how much better you'll feel when you stop slamming your head against the wall. :ph34r:

• Like 1

Not sailing, again, last weekend. We were anchored about 100 yards from a fishing float: 

"I've never seen more gear in the water, all the way from here to Castine", we overheard a young lobsterman holler. Figures, the season had a slowish start due to a cold spring. Only in the last few weeks has the catch begun to rise. With only a couple months left, they're throwing all their gear overboard. 

If having to make a season in a few weeks isn't stressful enough, there is a bait shortage. Herring, the preferred bait for lobsters, has been overfished and the season closed. We watched some guys scrape up the last of dozens of cardboard crates that likely held frozen bait. Exotic species of bait from afar are being marketed to supply the demand. 

483251810_Loadingbait.thumb.jpg.96c6cae9d305caff09bd91804c0c74d2.jpg

We watched some enterprising guy set a gill net just off the bait dock. He must have corralled a huge school of Pogies as it took him nearly 2 hours to haul the catch - by hand - into his boat. He was also baby sitting his little boy, and it is Sunday. His catch per pound might rival boat prices for lobster?!

1163637726_Haulingpogeys.thumb.jpg.47da1186887b266902b092c3d0562288.jpg

This was good mews for a bald eagle that tried in vain to steal a mackerel from an Osprey overhead. The big eagles are too slow for 'real' fish. But the gill net left plenty of wounded Pogies drifting nearby.

He snagged an easy one and headed off to a tree top from breakfast. 

189696984_Eaglesnagsapogie.thumb.jpg.4aae4a308506fa4969fd668732b3f65a.jpg

Maine, about the most un-diverse state in the union is different on the water. Like agriculture some of the labor force is filled by migrant workers here for a season. Still, not everybody likes working on Sunday. But it's make or break time and stern men/women, are sought after. Hard work though,... 

1855066675_Sundaymorning_.thumb.jpg.0be731cbf2e2ba319b8ffa75267ca767.jpg 

There is a new generation at the wheel of the industry. Many of the new captains are mortgaged pretty heavily in their gear. They need the equipment to service their 800 trap limit. They need the 800 traps fished, to make payments that go on all winter. 

A bait shortage, a short season and a rapidly warming Gulf of Maine that is driving the American Lobster into Canadian waters.

I loved this boat flying a carbon encrusted Stars and Stripes through Pulpit Harbor. 

I think that's a bottle of stress relief in the cup holder, soon to be uncorked. Without it, there would be a mutiny. 

1796504001_Fishingforaliving.thumb.jpg.e0d0e5b5727a97e614a73fbefdabf53c.jpg

• Like 2

I was in Pulpit Thursday night. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kris Cringle said:

Not sailing, again, last weekend. We were anchored about 100 yards from a fishing float: 

"I've never seen more gear in the water, all the way from here to Castine", we overheard a young lobsterman holler. Figures, the season had a slowish start due to a cold spring. Only in the last few weeks has the catch begun to rise. With only a couple months left, they're throwing all their gear overboard. 

If having to make a season in a few weeks isn't stressful enough, there is a bait shortage. Herring, the preferred bait for lobsters, has been overfished and the season closed. We watched some guys scrape up the last of dozens of cardboard crates that likely held frozen bait. Exotic species of bait from afar are being marketed to supply the demand. 

483251810_Loadingbait.thumb.jpg.96c6cae9d305caff09bd91804c0c74d2.jpg

We watched some enterprising guy set a gill net just off the bait dock. He must have corralled a huge school of Pogies as it took him nearly 2 hours to haul the catch - by hand - into his boat. He was also baby sitting his little boy, and it is Sunday. His catch per pound might rival boat prices for lobster?!

1163637726_Haulingpogeys.thumb.jpg.47da1186887b266902b092c3d0562288.jpg

This was good mews for a bald eagle that tried in vain to steal a mackerel from an Osprey overhead. The big eagles are too slow for 'real' fish. But the gill net left plenty of wounded Pogies drifting nearby.

He snagged an easy one and headed off to a tree top from breakfast. 

189696984_Eaglesnagsapogie.thumb.jpg.4aae4a308506fa4969fd668732b3f65a.jpg

Maine, about the most un-diverse state in the union is different on the water. Like agriculture some of the labor force is filled by migrant workers here for a season. Still, not everybody likes working on Sunday. But it's make or break time and stern men/women, are sought after. Hard work though,... 

1855066675_Sundaymorning_.thumb.jpg.0be731cbf2e2ba319b8ffa75267ca767.jpg 

There is a new generation at the wheel of the industry. Many of the new captains are mortgaged pretty heavily in their gear. They need the equipment to service their 800 trap limit. They need the 800 traps fished, to make payments that go on all winter. 

A bait shortage, a short season and a rapidly warming Gulf of Maine that is driving the American Lobster into Canadian waters.

I loved this boat flying a carbon encrusted Stars and Stripes through Pulpit Harbor. 

I think that's a bottle of stress relief in the cup holder, soon to be uncorked. Without it, there would be a mutiny. 

1796504001_Fishingforaliving.thumb.jpg.e0d0e5b5727a97e614a73fbefdabf53c.jpg

As always, KC, beutayful  pics!

Our lobster season got off to a slow start too, in fact, I've only just started having some success in the last 2 weeks, just as the pros are moving their gear offshore. The herring closure really hurt the bait fishers and venders, and although pogies were almost too plentiful locally (twice pogie boats drifted down on my oyster farm while hauling their seine, once putting my farm on the rocks) there's a rumor pogies might be closed next year, much as herring were this year. I recently had to buy frozen redfish heads from somewhere down south for lobster bait, everything else was sold out!

My traps have been pretty full recently and the good news is I've been throwing back a lot of berried mamas and shorts! 

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/services/mediarender/THISLIFE/000065791239/media/44756214824/medium/1569810137/enhance

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/services/mediarender/THISLIFE/000065791239/media/44756215985/medium/1569810183/enhance

This was my one day catch from 5 traps yesterday after a 3 day soak. I had to give away 3 to the neighbors because we didn't have time to cook them all...

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/services/mediarender/THISLIFE/000065791239/media/44756216536/medium/1569810203/enhance

And finally... I always told my wife if we ever won the lotto big time from then on all my lobster rolls were going to be made strictly of knuckle meat. Last night she surprised me with my first one. Guess I must be rich!

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/services/mediarender/THISLIFE/000065791239/media/44756214872/medium/1569810139/enhance

• Like 1

Good grief.  @Willin' and @Kris Cringle are taking this not sailing thing to a whole new level.  Lobster!!  Dang...

The best I got is this taken on Sunday night @IStream.  All lit up as promised. The skipper and Admiral may also have been a bit lit up LOL.

file1.gif

• Like 3

Thanks @IStream. We also have red cabin lights for night sailing but they are bit bright so I need to tweak them.  Not sure we are free of this thread. Now we were sailing for sure.  Had 15 knots true while doing 8s tacking out the river.  More like 9 true in the Bay so we headed over to Rock Hall and back topping out at just over 10 knots SOG.  Even found some time to hang on the hook. Love my rudder balance tweak and less rig rake... she has very light helm now and tracks straight.  But there still is work to do:

* Chart plotter, radar, AIS and VHF not fully functional

* Fresh water system leak needs so be repaired

* Some other nits...

On the flip side of that the freezer has (OK had) ice and the bar is (OK need more rum) restocked.

file2.gif

• Like 2

23 hours ago, IStream said:

I can see from this photo exactly how lit everything was!

Oh we were for sure.  To the point we walked home rather than drive.

15 hours ago, Innocent Bystander said:

Not sailing winter of 2016/17.  Ice Eaters are a good thing.  

194315322_winter(3).thumb.jpg.9b3d3a5d471af174b2a852c6f7b227f6.jpg

IB, that is a beautiful shot.  Where exactly is that?

2 hours ago, Wess said:

Oh we were for sure.  To the point we walked home rather than drive.

IB, that is a beautiful shot.  Where exactly is that?

Boat is at my dock on Mill Creek off the Patuxent just above point patience. Shot taken from a good friend’s house across the creek. 2 minutes by skiff in summer. 15 by road in winter. 

I tell him he needs to pay me a “view tax” since my house is up on the point and I can only see the top 1/4 of the mast through the trees. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Innocent Bystander said:

Boy, life's a bitch ain't it?

21 hours ago, Innocent Bystander said:

Not sailing winter of 2016/17.  Ice Eaters are a good thing.  

Now I have dock envy.

4 hours ago, Alan H said:

Now I have dock envy.

No workshop at the end of the dock?

Naaahh - no envy here.

12 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

No workshop at the end of the dock?

Naaahh - no envy here.

Pffff...my workshop is my driveway.  At least it doesn't snow here.

On 9/9/2019 at 9:47 AM, Cruisin Loser said:

Sometimes you just have to eat the wasp and fess up.

I was the guest driving Restive and put her up on the rock. The loser being the kind of guy he is took the responsibility but bottom line is I was at the helm with a chartplotter display right in front and still managed to hit a well marked rock. Not making excuses but the water was littered with floats and I was so intent on not snagging a lobster trap float I wasn't paying attention, just steering to a point of land ahead.

I didn't sleep well that night waiting for enough water to haul the boat. Expecting something terrible I was amazed to see nothing more than some scratches on the bottom of the keel. Even after going from 7 knots to 0 under full sail in a matter of a second or 2. Brooklin builds one hell of a stout boat.

The quote of the day goes like this. Here we are sitting on a rock, heeled over waiting a few hours for the tide to float us off. Mrs. Loser, who is a saint by the way, decides it's time to have a sandwich. I could barely eat with my guts in a knot but managed. Loser was just about to bite into his when I sort of yelled "Don't eat that", there was a wasp right where he was about to bite down. Without missing a beat with and with cool calm composure he said "Thanks, that could have ruined my day". Here we are, Restive just went up on a rock, unknown possible damage and he cracks a classic one liner. Tension gone. A day I will never, ever forget.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bmiller said:

Sometimes you just have to eat the wasp and fess up.

I was the guest driving Restive and put her up on the rock. The loser being the kind of guy he is took the responsibility but bottom line is I was at the helm with a chartplotter display right in front and still managed to hit a well marked rock. Not making excuses but the water was littered with floats and I was so intent on not snagging a lobster trap float I wasn't paying attention, just steering to a point of land ahead.

I didn't sleep well that night waiting for enough water to haul the boat. Expecting something terrible I was amazed to see nothing more than some scratches on the bottom of the keel. Even after going from 7 knots to 0 under full sail in a matter of a second or 2. Brooklin builds one hell of a stout boat.

The quote of the day goes like this. Here we are sitting on a rock, heeled over waiting a few hours for the tide to float us off. Mrs. Loser, who is a saint by the way, decides it's time to have a sandwich. I could barely eat with my guts in a knot but managed. Loser was just about to bite into his when I sort of yelled "Don't eat that", there was a wasp right where he was about to bite down. Without missing a beat with and with cool calm composure he said "Thanks, that could have ruined my day". Here we are, Restive just went up on a rock, unknown possible damage and he cracks a classic one liner. Tension gone. A day I will never, ever forget.

I just can't help myself...Letting him eat the wasp would make a better story.....  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Innocent Bystander said:

I just can't help myself...Letting him eat the wasp would make a better story.....  

And that, folks, is the level of love and loyalty I inspire in those who sail with me. 

• Like 3

a few years ago i got a hotdog of a food truck and as i raised it to my mouth a wasp thathad landed on the underside stung me fight in that little indent above you top lip  FUCK that hurt.

• Like 1

WhatsApp Image 2019-10-05 at 14.14.04.jpeg

• Like 5

On September 16, 2019 at 9:28 AM, Cruisin Loser said:

Just so you know, Lola-Jane is 90 and still painting, actually better than ever, although the output has slowed the quality is amazing.

Here's one done by a friend of hers, of the marina next to her home, that I'm considering, 36 x 48 oil on canvas.

70932415_2453439208313046_8979797062744801280_n.thumb.jpg.d47c4ced854000cecd193b80ea829729.jpg

We bought this painting.

So the wife went to Las Cruces, her hometown, for the weekend to see friends and relatives and replenish our Ristas and green chile supply in nearby Hatch. I called her Saturday AM to see how she was. She'd had a nightmare where she walked into a room and I was on the couch with a very young, pretty redhead girl in a short dress on my lap. This woke her up, when she fell back asleep the dream resumed with me and the redhead under the covers on a foldout couch. WTF, a foldout? Well, I'm pretty satisfied with my innocence, so don't think much about it.

That afternoon she calls me:

"Hi honey, guess where I am."

"I have no idea"

"I'm in an art gallery"

"And?"

"Well, I just thought you'd want me have a couple of paintings to make up for the way you behaved in my dream last night."

She reads me like a book, on her way home now with chile and more paintings.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Cruisin Loser said:

"Well, I just thought you'd want me have a couple of paintings to make up for the way you behaved in my dream last night."

:lol: Perfect female logic - her dream but it's still your fault.

• Like 3

Last weekend I spent the night on a mooring in nearby Rockland Harbor. It was cold as a West wind blew in from middle America. After the last ferry docked up for the night, you could have heard a pin splash in the big harbor. 

IMG_2047.thumb.jpg.b5d5002e677716eb1757343d821d82d5.jpg

A concerned text came from home, 3 miles to the North. 'It's really cold! Are you staying warm enough?"  I texted back, "I'm managing,..."  

430878825_Fireinthesaloon.thumb.jpg.d956a419e80ccc5bf367557a1e4ee976.jpg

The next morning sea smoke blew across the ports which required kindling another fire as a boat really cools down overnight.

This wood burner takes a while to heat the cabin up but it seems worth the extra time and toil. 

• Like 10

OK, I shall now officially take my leave of this cursed thread with a final parting photo of us "not sailing" and kicking off a successful 3 day shake down cruise.  Hereafter you shall find us in the "sailing" thread.  Good day and good bye!

IMG_2002.gif

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Ajax said:

That's some lifting apparatus.

It is impressive.

We designed that parking lot around a 500 ton crane, so it has lots of reach. Half the boats get moved on the hydraulic trailer to their spot, half can just get there on Crane reach alone. Nice smooth operation over two days.

As I always say at this time of year, "Pigs CAN fly!"