IStream

Show your boat not sailing

On 12/13/2019 at 4:22 AM, jlightning said:

Beautiful J/120, new paint?

It is. My wife and I painted it in September. Super happy with the result. 

17 hours ago, Roleur said:

It is. My wife and I painted it in September. Super happy with the result. 

What paint / system did you use? Shine looks really good.

Also came upon your website...svshearwater.com...interesting reading. Thanks for sharing.

Is that called a "bilge keel"?

1 hour ago, MauiPunter said:

That is an early-ish version Ted Hood's, "Whale Bottom".  Short chain girth reduces wetted surface for a given displacement. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, MauiPunter said:

22 hours ago, Elegua said:

That is an early-ish version Ted Hood's, "Whale Bottom".  Short chain girth reduces wetted surface for a given displacement. 

And a 7.5 ft long high aspect centerboard, draws 11.5 ft with the board down.

1 hour ago, bgytr said:

And a 7.5 ft long high aspect centerboard, draws 11.5 ft with the board down.

I have a similar board with 4'6" draft board up and 10'9" down.  I think the later versions had a shallower deadrise and a bigger/different cutout at the front of the keel. 

The Gulfstar 40, Hood 38, Bristol 38.8, Little Harbor 38 are all brothers from a different mother. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bull City said:

Whale bottom?

IMG_3349.thumb.jpg.3317475a6b67af7f69bbf667fcc7bb72.jpg

Not in those terms. Those were sperm whales, you have an orca. I won't go any further with that analogy.

11 hours ago, Elegua said:

I have a similar board with 4'6" draft board up and 10'9" down.  I think the later versions had a shallower deadrise and a bigger/different cutout at the front of the keel. 

The Gulfstar 40, Hood 38, Bristol 38.8, Little Harbor 38 are all brothers from a different mother. 

Ya very similar.  Here's a tidbit.. even though the Gulfstar 40 and Bristol 38.8 are nearly identical in form and dimensions, phrf says the Gulfstar 40 owes the Bristol 38.8  21 seconds per mile.  ORC has the G40 3 to 6 secs per mile faster depending on the conditions.

PHRF SUCKS. 

2 hours ago, bgytr said:

Ya very similar.  Here's a tidbit.. even though the Gulfstar 40 and Bristol 38.8 are nearly identical in form and dimensions, phrf says the Gulfstar 40 owes the Bristol 38.8  21 seconds per mile.  ORC has the G40 3 to 6 secs per mile faster depending on the conditions.

PHRF SUCKS. 

That's the price for having the best looking of the four.

If the internets are to be believed, you have the longest WL by 1.5', the most ballast at 12.5k lbs vs 11k, 9k and 8.4k for the Hood, Bristol and LH respectively and the most sail area of all three, so I'm not completely surprised you rate faster. 

The Hood, Bristol and LH share the same hull shape with some variation in rudder, prop and sheerline/freeboard.  The GS seems the most different in shape, - I think closer to the Hood Hinckley 43 - but it seems they just tweaked the design for a new builder 3 or more times. Ted was nothing if not a good businessman. I'd love to hear what Dieter Empacher thinks. 

27 minutes ago, Elegua said:

That's the price for having the best looking of the four.

If the internets are to be believed, you have the longest WL by 1.5', the most ballast at 12.5k lbs vs 11k, 9k and 8.4k for the Hood, Bristol and LH respectively and the most sail area of all three, so I'm not completely surprised you rate faster. 

The Hood, Bristol and LH share the same hull shape with some variation in rudder, prop and sheerline/freeboard.  The GS seems the most different in shape, - I think closer to the Hood Hinckley 43 - but it seems they just tweaked the design for a new builder 3 or more times. Ted was nothing if not a good businessman. I'd love to hear what Dieter Empacher thinks. 

Yes I agree that gulfstar 40 should rate faster but only marginally so which correlates with the orc vpp.  21 secs per mile is a lot, roughly the same as the difference between a j35 and a j120.

1 hour ago, bgytr said:

Yes I agree that gulfstar 40 should rate faster but only marginally so which correlates with the orc vpp.  21 secs per mile is a lot, roughly the same as the difference between a j35 and a j120.

Yeah, that's not reasonable. Join more committees at the yacht club. 

I got the the opportunity to ask Ted himself once indirectly about the racing, "potential", of these boats being what they are.... His answer was that with decent sails and a clean bottom anything below mid-fleet was operator error.  Hmm...isn't that true for all boats with an appropriate rating? 

On 12/18/2019 at 5:56 PM, bgytr said:

Outta the water bottom job stage 1.

20191218_131902_HDR~2.jpg

How's it maneuver under power with the board up?

1 hour ago, Cruisin Loser said:

How's it maneuver under power with the board up?

Ha! Spins on a dime.  Is a charmer in reverse.  Handles like a laden tanker.  

Is a joy to sail though. Very cushy ride.

1 hour ago, Elegua said:

Yeah, that's not reasonable. Join more committees at the yacht club. 

I got the the opportunity to ask Ted himself once indirectly about the racing, "potential", of these boats being what they are.... His answer was that with decent sails and a clean bottom anything below mid-fleet was operator error.  Hmm...isn't that true for all boats with an appropriate rating? 

Ya what happened here on the Chesapeake.. When I was a kid my family had the Gulfstar 40 for more than a decade.  We cleaned up in MHS/IMS.  When that died, there were a lot of folks who saw their chance to hammer us rating-wise.  So my old man sold the boat and got a J44 and did really well with that u3mtil the IMS rule beaters came out.

• Like 1

On 12/18/2019 at 6:56 PM, bgytr said:

Outta the water bottom job stage 1.

20191218_131902_HDR~2.jpg

BG, what kind of boat? Any more pics?

On 12/15/2019 at 5:12 AM, jlightning said:

What paint / system did you use? Shine looks really good.

Also came upon your website...svshearwater.com...interesting reading. Thanks for sharing.

We used AlexSeal.  Rolled & tipped.  It's not perfect, but we are very happy with the result.  We painted outdoors in between rain showers, so quite a challenge getting the mix right as it alternated from very cloudy to bright sunshine.  

1 hour ago, bgytr said:

Ted Hood design, Gulfstar 40.

Posted some pics on page 8 of this thread.

One of the best looking boats Lazzara ever built.

There is no 'MY' boat sailing anymore.....

Attachment not found

(cuz now there's only a Bill of Sale)    Happy? Not so much... but now I can make Q1 payroll

3 hours ago, Veeger said:

Attachment not found

(cuz now there's only a Bill of Sale)    Happy? Not so much... but now I can make Q1 payroll

Well, that sucks.

Tis but a flesh wound...and a (hopefully) somewhat temporary condition.  The Admiral and I are already talking the 'next' one (or two) once the crunch eases.... 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Veeger said:

Tis but a flesh wound...and a (hopefully) somewhat temporary condition.  The Admiral and I are already talking the 'next' one (or two) once the crunch eases.... 

Another Maine Cat?  Always admired the MC38, though never quite convinced by the outboards for our particular purposes.  What's the next dream look like after the rebound?  

5 hours ago, Veeger said:

Attachment not found

Damn, that sucks. If you ever want a day on the water, I'm always looking for an excuse to get out and I'm just down the road...

Wow.  Bummer, Veeger.   

On 1/2/2020 at 4:18 PM, Veeger said:

Attachment not found

Sorry to hear that.  If out in Naps you always have a ride.  Check out the life on a tri!

3 hours ago, Wess said:

Sorry to hear that.  If out in Naps you always have a ride.  Check out the life on a tri!

Thanks!  Be nice to see how the 36 'lives' vs my old F-28.  I've always liked how they sail...

9 minutes ago, PaulinVictoria said:

My other boat, not sailing P1040280-zps4sl8l3wt.jpg

So it's about 85% complete?

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

So it's about 85% complete?

I took it out of the box, so yeah, a good 85%

Time to sell.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Woxbox said:

Winter storage for the fleet. 

Boathouse-W.jpg

Wox, what is the green boat? Looks nice. What's on the bottom right?

14 hours ago, PaulinVictoria said:

What is it?

2 hours ago, Bull City said:

Wox, what is the green boat? Looks nice. What's on the bottom right?

The green boat is a Chesapeake Light Craft "Autumn Leaves" that I launched last year. Bottom right is a Nick Schade Great Auk kayak, done stripper style. It's got a cover to keep it pretty -- it's my fancy kayak.

40 minutes ago, Woxbox said:

The green boat is a Chesapeake Light Craft "Autumn Leaves" that I launched last year. Bottom right is a Nick Schade Great Auk kayak, done stripper style. It's got a cover to keep it pretty -- it's my fancy kayak.

Wox, is that your boat in the CLC video? You're too modest. Very trim little boat. Congratulations!

42 minutes ago, OSPREY said:

A36A7FB7-AF3A-45C4-8976-4766EDB58BBC.jpeg

Looks like you need to get some firmer battens in the main.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bull City said:

Wox, is that your boat in the CLC video? You're too modest. Very trim little boat. Congratulations!

Thanks - yep, same boat. I'm still have a few things to sort out, but I am liking it quite a bit. It's one of those little boats that feels bigger than it is.

8 hours ago, Bull City said:

What is it?

An original Mirror dinghy kit, from the early/mid 70s judging by the hull number.

On 1/6/2020 at 7:16 PM, PaulinVictoria said:

I wish this forum had more than just up/down votes.  We really need laugh and cry reacts like facebook.  :)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PaulinVictoria said:

An original Mirror dinghy kit, from the early/mid 70s judging by the hull number.

So you must have bought the kit when you were a youngster, but now can't remember. :o

18 hours ago, Woxbox said:

Boathouse-W.jpg

you clearly need more kayaks

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KC375 said:

you clearly need more kayaks

You're right. I bought another one after I took this photo. I think there's still room to hang a couple more from the ceiling.

1 minute ago, Woxbox said:

You're right. I bought another one after I took this photo. I think there's still room to hang a couple more from the ceiling.

Where is your ambition? Without obstructing the window you can get at least one more above the blue one and a second if it is a squirt boat. Then you have the back wall good for a few more. Then you can move to the ceiling and still assert it is not cluttered as you would have clear alleys to walk on all three enclosed sides.

20 hours ago, Woxbox said:

It is important to keep your kayaks cool while in storage. 

You can't have your kayak and heat it too.  

(groan)

PS:  That is a fine collection of boats and an admirably tidy storage area.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Woxbox said:

The green boat is a Chesapeake Light Craft "Autumn Leaves" that I launched last year.

Here is a still from the CLC video (pre-Not Sailing):

large.terrapin.png.4d81e56e178e7930a66bf4ba7a96e9e2.png

• Like 3

3 hours ago, KC375 said:

Where is your ambition? Without obstructing the window you can get at least one more above the blue one and a second if it is a squirt boat. Then you have the back wall good for a few more. Then you can move to the ceiling and still assert it is not cluttered as you would have clear alleys to walk on all three enclosed sides.

Squirt boats? Well, I could stack them like pancakes and fit a dozen in one corner. BTW, there is an inflatable rolled up behind the cabinet on the right. And now that I count more carefully there are, two more since I took that photo. Can I argue it's a healthy addiction?

7 minutes ago, Woxbox said:

Squirt boats? Well, I could stack them like pancakes and fit a dozen in one corner. BTW, there is an inflatable rolled up behind the cabinet on the right. And now that I count more carefully there are, two more since I took that photo. Can I argue it's a healthy addiction?

It is important to understand the difference between “can I argue” and “can I win the argument”.

Of the possible ways to exercise your OCD this seems pretty constructive. It doesn’t have the price tag of classic cars or mahogany runabouts. It supports worthy suppliers. It likely involves exercise and fresh air. I don’t think anyone would confuse you with a Walter White client. So your argument would work with me...but more important does it work with your significant other...that’s really the only test that matters.

3 hours ago, KC375 said:

It is important to understand the difference between “can I argue” and “can I win the argument”.

Of the possible ways to exercise your OCD this seems pretty constructive. It doesn’t have the price tag of classic cars or mahogany runabouts. It supports worthy suppliers. It likely involves exercise and fresh air. I don’t think anyone would confuse you with a Walter White client. So your argument would work with me...but more important does it work with your significant other...that’s really the only test that matters.

Too true. The kayaks used to be in the garage with the cars, impeding the significant other's ability to open her car door. So I had a solid argument to build another garage, right? And once built, it would be a shame to leave storage space unused...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Woxbox said:

Too true. The kayaks used to be in the garage with the cars, impeding the significant other's ability to open her car door. So I had a solid argument to build another garage, right? And once built, it would be a shame to leave storage space unused...

Nature abhors a vacuum, or at least an empty garage

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KC375 said:

to triue, meine looks licke a 'cluttere bombe' wentte off....... I hatte it.....           :)

58 minutes ago, KC375 said:

Absolutely brilliant. I bow to you.

13 hours ago, Bull City said:

So you must have bought the kit when you were a youngster, but now can't remember. :o

Heh, I found it in a curiosity shop in Victoria a few years ago, built one with my dad back in the late 70s, figured this would make a nice father and son project for me and my boy. With the progress it's making, it'll be one for him and his kid mind.

3 hours ago, KC375 said:

I've found that a vacuum abhors a garage,

3 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

I've found that a vacuum abhors a garage,

Mine anyway :blink:

Impressive fit; who made your cover? Ours is nearly 20 years old but we’ve noticed it getting a bit flappy on the bottom, even as it’s too tight to sew up the front and the back.

16 hours ago, ChrisJD said:

Impressive fit; who made your cover? Ours is nearly 20 years old but we’ve noticed it getting a bit flappy on the bottom, even as it’s too tight to sew up the front and the back.

These guys: http://www.millermarinecanvas.com/  On 5th year now and holding up well.

17 hours ago, monsoon said:

Snug as a bug...

1615039282_IMG_0431copy.thumb.jpg.c30447e5fec081b06764aa9510eee774.jpg

What?!?! You don't leave your anchor out in the weather, do you?

It'll get scratched!!

FB- Doug

Well that’s gorgeous. Warderick Wells? Literally one of my favorite places on the planet.

Last October I bought this little Cape Dory Typhoon in Traverse City Mi and towed it 680 miles to my home in Mn....cosmetic restoration coming in the spring will post new pictures....third one of these....nice sailing little boat...

IMG_1429.JPG

• Like 4

3 hours ago, shavdog said:

Last October I bought this little Cape Dory Typhoon in Traverse City Mi and towed it 680 miles to my home in Mn....cosmetic restoration coming in the spring will post new pictures....third one of these....nice sailing little boat...

IMG_1429.JPG

One of the prettiest boats ever.  Perfectly proportioned to my eye.  Lots of wood to take care of, but the boat really turns heads.  

One of those about 32' with a fin & spade underbody would be my dream boat.

Oh, yeah - lots more teak. Deck, house - everything. :D

And a BN to look after it.

21 hours ago, shavdog said:

IMG_1429.JPG

In 1973, I bought a brand new Typhoon. We lived in Miami at the time, and I was able to find a dock at friend of a friend's home until a mooring was available at our club. On the day I took delivery, after mooring, I was walking up and down the dock, admiring the boat from all angles, until I fell backwards into the water.

We loved that boat. Congratulations!

On 1/31/2020 at 9:09 AM, Max Rockatansky said:

E2EA9965-5553-4395-B4C7-830084EE2EA6.jpeg

What and where Max?