IStream

Show your boat not sailing

Anyone with a toy boat the size of a cruise ship must be evil.

1523327923_2020-alltuckedin.thumb.jpg.8bd8db2807653c98e6e81d41ee13195f.jpg

Temperatures above freezing this weekend, time to start spring work again, only 7 weeks until launch day.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Is that a spew of 50A power lines coming out of that opening?

Anyone with that many jetskis must be evil.

Computer running Windows Vista. Can confirm.

(As multibillionaires go, Allen was slightly less evil than most. Tho the Cayman corals might have an opinion.)

20 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Is that a spew of 50A power lines coming out of that opening?

Anyone with that many jetskis must be evil.

ROV cable tether

1 hour ago, Kris Cringle said:

Under cover, 30 feet from the harbor on the coast of Maine. March is here with warmer days.  

Kris, when do you usually launch?

3 hours ago, Bull City said:

Kris, when do you usually launch?

Not much before June 1, although we have to vacant our public landing by the first week of June.

I used to launch earlier but I've come to find spring (May) on the water off Maine is usually disappointing. Where as the opposite is true of our fall weather. It seems to stretch beyond October year after year.

I'll trade 2 May sailing days for 1 in October. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kris Cringle said:

I used to launch earlier but I've come to find spring (May) on the water off Maine is usually disappointing.

Fall is better here in N.C. too. Spring can bring anything weather-wise, plus a good deal of pollen.

• Like 1

Friend with drone. South  Minerva reef last year,  one of my favourite places.

Screenshot_2020-03-08-14-38-14.png

• Like 2

Damn, we actually boat/sail all year around.  Sorry for those of you who can't, don't know if I could survive putting my boat on the hard for months on end, I have cardiac arrest when she is on the hard for a week.

Soon

very soon

03F0FFAE-EE76-4E9E-9927-C2B9A0F124E2.thumb.jpeg.6cbcdba45fec9f7d503b353a13913e65.jpeg

Here we are all dressed up (nice smooth freshly painted bottom, hand washed polymerized topsides) and nowhere to go (until next week).

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_566d.thumb.jpg.28d6a61c5b9bd9beadf55c921594cc9c.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_566e.thumb.jpg.2e06f435a566643ac52f2c176f2ec5a7.jpg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Bull City said:

Here we are all dressed up (nice smooth freshly painted bottom, hand washed polymerized topsides) and nowhere to go (until next week).

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_566d.thumb.jpg.28d6a61c5b9bd9beadf55c921594cc9c.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_566e.thumb.jpg.2e06f435a566643ac52f2c176f2ec5a7.jpg

That is a pretty boat, Bull. You're doing it justice.

Now you really need to lose the outboard mount somehow.

8 hours ago, Ishmael said:

I couldn't agree more. Torqeedo makes a Pod drive that I am half thinking about.

https://www.torqeedo.com/us/en-us/products/pod-drives/cruise-2.0-4.0-fp/M-1250-00.html

And there's this thread:

Unfortunately, the Trump Slump in the stock market puts this on hold.

That is a sleek little boat. Very nice, Bull.

I'm reserving judgement on the Torquedo until I see if they can fix mine. 

16 minutes ago, Cruisin Loser said:

I'm reserving judgement on the Torquedo until I see if they can fix mine. 

Do you use one on your dinghy? The Travel 1003?

Yes, but it got the dreaded cable error, and the shop in Kittery quit servicing due to shit factory support. I got a crew member to run it to Connecticut for me. We'll see. I love not having gasoline aboard. 

10 hours ago, Ishmael said:

That is a pretty boat, Bull. You're doing it justice.

At one time, MANY moons ago, I thought outboard power was the panacea of sailing.  Now the darn things are everywhere and I can’t figure out how to get rid of those on my two keelboats.  

I was going to do a blasphemy and install a saildrive on the S2 until I learned that the ballast location and amount are different between the original outboard powered boats and the inboard powered boats.  I have a trolling motor on the Santana and while it works fine getting into and out of the slip (On the Lake) getting from place to place when the wind dies is a slow and often unrealistic expectation.

1 hour ago, Santana20AE said:

At one time, MANY moons ago, I thought outboard power was the panacea of sailing.  Now the darn things are everywhere and I can’t figure out how to get rid of those on my two keelboats.  

I was going to do a blasphemy and install a saildrive on the S2 until I learned that the ballast location and amount are different between the original outboard powered boats and the inboard powered boats.  I have a trolling motor on the Santana and while it works fine getting into and out of the slip (On the Lake) getting from place to place when the wind dies is a slow and often unrealistic expectation.

Do the rock/pump dance! The Tuna 20 is perfect for it. We used to rock/pump Lightnings and j24s (takes two or three) for miles. A couple of years ago I gave a demo of how to rock/pump a Buccaneer, a mile or so against current, with a friend & small child aboard (made a bit of a game out of it, but they got bored long before we got back to the dock). You can get it going much faster than you can paddle.

FB- Doug

3 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Do the rock/pump dance!

Can you give us a demo?

4 hours ago, Santana20AE said:

I was going to do a blasphemy and install a saildrive on the S2 until I learned that the ballast location and amount are different between the original outboard powered boats and the inboard powered boats.

Interesting. An S2 was just hauled at our marina. The owner is going to have the sail-drive removed, and an OB bracket installed. I wonder if performance will be seriously affected?

The 5 HP Torqeedo Pod weighs 15.4 kg (34 lbs.) and the 3500 Wh battery package weighs 25.3 kg (56 lbs). With the Pod under water, and the battery probably under the cockpit, I don't think it would disturb boat's performance.

37 minutes ago, OSPREY said:

99BA068C-FE35-4884-9F5E-4BF3C51F24E4.jpeg

Nice! Where was that taken?

16 minutes ago, Bull City said:

Interesting. An S2 was just hauled at our marina. The owner is going to have the sail-drive removed, and an OB bracket installed. I wonder if performance will be seriously affected?

The 5 HP Torqeedo Pod weighs 15.4 kg (34 lbs.) and the 3500 Wh battery package weighs 25.3 kg (56 lbs). With the Pod under water, and the battery probably under the cockpit, I don't think it would disturb boat's performance.

I am told that inboard boats that are converted to outboards, still do not perform as well as original outboard boats.  The ballast is roughly 150 pounds less and is placed further forward (obviously to balance out the weight of the inboard)  Its a mess that considering all the alternatives, I simply am not willing to address.

4 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Do the rock/pump dance!

Can you give us a demo?

No but I can explain it clearly enough, and I bet most of the racers are familiar.

Jib down or furled, mainsail cleated fairly tight to centerline, vang snug but not taut. Tiller on centerline at first, with better technique you can add some boost with the rudder while steering, but to start with just have somebody hold (or tie) it centered.

Stand just forward of the mast. This gets the boat a little bow-down, easier to roll and less wetted surface. Move to one side or the other and put your weight as far outboard as is comfortable and easy to get back in, some people actually swing out from the shrouds. As the boat rocks toward that side, just hold your position and get ready to move to the opposite side but don't make your move until it's at max heel.

Same going the other way... weight as far outboard as convenient, don't rush it. Pull the boat right on over and let it take it's normal pendulum-like motion. Then back again... then back again. Simple!

You're fanning the mainsail thru the air, with the effect of it having breeze from first one side, then the other. That's why you want to rock it FAR rather than FAST. Same as a roll-tack, only you're not interested in turning.

It can be done... adds horsepower of course... to have the jib set, but popping it from one side to the other tends to interfere with the running back and forth rocking it.

FB- Doug

Bullcity....what kind of sailboat is that?....Tonic

I've posted in this thread before, but I got one or two new pictures...

538821_463698563669914_1819448703_n.jpg.941686460dfcb3814ea76fdb4eb76564.jpg

Marlborough.thumb.jpg.aaa3dfcbbae6420c8484e70204cb7c03.jpg

And this old one I came across, which is Evenstar and four other Anarchists' boats not sailing together.

IMG_0133-001.thumb.JPG.f1cd61f94633bfb8a35884e7b41065de.JPG

• Like 1

11 hours ago, shavdog said:

Bullcity....what kind of sailboat is that?....Tonic

It's an H-Boat. 27' 3200 lbs. Designed in 1967 by Hans Groop (a Finn), and a very popular one-design in Scandinavia, Germany and Holland. I think about 50 were exported to the U.S. and Canada in the late 70s & early 80s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H-boat

1 hour ago, B.J. Porter said:

Where was the second one taken - it's beautiful.

14 hours ago, bmiller said:

Beautiful! PSC?

1985 Pacific Seacraft

DEB79D13-0151-427E-B615-18074FAB1C34.jpeg

Bravo to all of you posting these pictures.

Such a refreshing change to see so many boats 'shipshape and Bristol-fashion', especially after spending some time wandering around the zombie boat thread.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bull City said:
7 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

Where was the second one taken - it's beautiful.

That was in Marlborough Sound, South Island NZ.

It's a pretty gorgeous part of the world.

2 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

That was in Marlborough Sound, South Island NZ.

It's a pretty gorgeous part of the world.

We spent 3 weeks in NZ about 20 years ago. We loved it.

On 3/15/2020 at 3:49 AM, Bull City said:

That's one of the best looking H-boats I have seen, and I have seen a lot.

I would go with a pod drive for my own, similar size and layout boat, if I wanted to keep my boat for many years.

2 hours ago, Misbehavin' said:

That's one of the best looking H-boats I have seen, and I have seen a lot.

I would go with a pod drive for my own, similar size and layout boat, if I wanted to keep my boat for many years.

Thank you, Misbehavin'. The first H-Boat I ever saw was in Aarhus in 2011. I didn't know what it was but I took a few pictures. Little did I know that I would own one in 4 years.

I do want the Pod!  It would be great from the standpoints of aesthetics and maneuverability, and would provide more horsepower than the 3 HP Torqeedo I have now. I have no real desire for another boat, so it would also make sense from that point of view. Hmmmm....

793732940_hboataarhus.thumb.jpg.5f0522589e5b5ded5ab48402791abab6.jpg

675136411_hboatsaarhus.thumb.jpg.f36798564841cc52896b4501aa53d0ea.jpg

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Bull City said:

I have no real desire for another boat

You are now officially an old man Bull. :D

• Like 1

Thank you, Misbehavin'. The first H-Boat I ever saw was in Aarhus in 2011. I didn't know what it was but I took a few pictures. Little did I know that I would own one in 4 years.

I do want the Pod!  It would be great from the standpoints of aesthetics and maneuverability, and would provide more horsepower than the 3 HP Torqeedo I have now. I have no real desire for another boat, so it would also make sense from that point of view. Hmmmm....

793732940_hboataarhus.thumb.jpg.5f0522589e5b5ded5ab48402791abab6.jpg

675136411_hboatsaarhus.thumb.jpg.f36798564841cc52896b4501aa53d0ea.jpg

This is a nice looking boat for sure

6 hours ago, SloopJonB said:
6 hours ago, Bull City said:

I have no real desire for another boat

You are now officially an old man Bull.

That was mean... good point though, hadn't thought of that, will have to tell Mrs Steam

- DSK

On 3/15/2020 at 10:57 AM, Steam Flyer said:

Do the rock/pump dance! The Tuna 20 is perfect for it. We used to rock/pump Lightnings and j24s (takes two or three) for miles. A couple of years ago I gave a demo of how to rock/pump a Buccaneer, a mile or so against current, with a friend & small child aboard (made a bit of a game out of it, but they got bored long before we got back to the dock). You can get it going much faster than you can paddle.

FB- Doug

this is key! :P

TONIC was launched yesterday, sorry, I mean the day before yesterday.

We don't have a travel lift on the lake, so we launch from a big hydraulic trailer. I don't like heights, and I absolutely hate climbing up a ladder to get on the boat. I did it, and all went well, but I really hate it. First World problem.

• Like 2

My first two cabin boats, an O'Day 23 at the back, and a Tanzer 22 in front, sadly sitting lonely on Clinton Lake in Central Illinois, which is now closed to sailing. I sold the O'Day about 5 years ago when I got the Tanzer as a rescue boat. I sold the Tanzer two weeks ago. Last October I bought this Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34 in Panama, where sadly it now sits lonely because I had to bail last week.

O'Day and Tanzer March 2020.jpg

Sea Change March 2020.jpg

• Like 1

WhatsApp Image 2019-10-05 at 14.14.04.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2019-10-05 at 14.13.23.jpeg

• Like 6

On March 20, 2020 at 6:18 PM, shaggyq said:

F1EE7643-B2A2-4D26-B6F3-FEB394093231.thumb.jpeg.d95520c214a212c6574b4bcf408ccd22.jpegF1EE7643-B2A2-4D26-B6F3-FEB394093231.thumb.jpeg.d95520c214a212c6574b4bcf408ccd22.jpegAt rest in Silva Bay

237C7C38-7F2C-4205-98B6-AC08714D43B7.jpeg

Pretty hot Mom and Pop cruising boat. 

23 hours ago, Trovão said:

WhatsApp Image 2019-10-05 at 14.14.04.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2019-10-05 at 14.13.23.jpeg

That boat looks much better now!

Congratulations on a beautiful tri.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

That boat looks much better now!

Congratulations on a beautiful tri.

Thanks. Still a lot of things to fix but, little by little, I am getting things done.

See on the pics below that the water level on our river has droped about 3 feet compared to the pics above, due to the summer draught. Some fixed keel boats are already touching the bottom, a problem that we, multihullers, don't have (at least yet - hope starts raining soon because our agrobusiness, the main economic activity in our state, is already suffering, specially in this covid-19 times).

WhatsApp Image 2020-03-29 at 11.24.09.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-03-29 at 11.24.10.jpeg

My new to me, first boat with sails. Have been a full time inland cruiser in the UK for the last 8 years or so and decided to make my life even more difficult. Became slightly irrational over this after sea trial. Currently an unrequited love affair as she's in Guernsey behind a quarantine. A recently reengined/ refitted / rerigged Fjord 33 MS.

IMG_4213.jpg

IMG_4950_(1).jpg

• Like 7

Looks like a great boat for your part of the world.

Silly question - how do you keep the boat from falling on its nose?

8 minutes ago, Elegua said:

Silly question - how do you keep the boat from falling on its nose?

Er, yet to actually try that trick myself. This angle makes it look a lot more practical though.

img_6273.jpg

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, morefish said:

Pilothouse should hopefully make the. Was very impressed by the quality and some of the details of the refit too, like this fuel filter setup.

He blogged the refit extensively, which also helped

https://fjordms33.wordpress.com/2019/11/27/sohvi-for-sale/

IMG_3068.jpg

Is that vinyl "teak" flooring.  :)

nice looking boat! congratulations or my sympathies, which ever applies at any given moment

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, MauiPunter said:

Is that vinyl "teak" flooring.  :)

Let’s hope those are monel staples holding it in place. 

• Like 1

@morefish congrats and don't worry,  a boat is an irrational purchase. 

2 hours ago, morefish said:

Er, yet to actually try that trick myself. This angle makes it look a lot more practical though.

img_6273.jpg

I've seen lots of pics of twin keel boats left dry by the tides in the UK, but I've never seen one of those pogo stick looking things before.  What is it called?  Is there one on the other side too?

Oh and congrats.  She's a looker.

29 minutes ago, Hukilau said:

I've seen lots of pics of twin keel boats left dry by the tides in the UK, but I've never seen one of those pogo stick looking things before.  What is it called?  Is there one on the other side too?

Oh and congrats.  She's a looker.

Yacht legs, as once made by the yacht leg company that no longer makes yacht legs (https://www.yachtlegs.co.uk/). Seen home made ones created from scaffolding poles and suchlike, but these are handily telescopic and clip nicely into a socket on the bulwark. Idea is apparently to rig them so you balance on the keel, they are not really meant to take much weight. Also handy up against a wall. I can see the likelihood of some less flattering photos of me trying them out than this in my future.

3 hours ago, morefish said:

Pilothouse should hopefully make the. Was very impressed by the quality and some of the details of the refit too, like this fuel filter setup.

He blogged the refit extensively, which also helped

https://fjordms33.wordpress.com/2019/11/27/sohvi-for-sale/

IMG_3068.jpg

I had a similar setup on my Columbia 43.

15b Engine after.jpg

I much prefer a RACOR to those canisters - then you can see what's going on in them.

With canisters you are guessing if they are plugged or not.

• Like 2

Definitely not sailing- got the centerboard cap apart to clean it up, replace the pennant, and reseal it.  Had to take apart the dinette table.  With it apart, the saloon is a lot more open.  Might be building another table in the future that is less bulky.  The new cable is on order but I can't get to the boat with the lockdown in Md.!

cleanedCBparts-2.jpg

CB-1.jpg

Apart.jpg

Apart-2.jpg

@bgytr  Pffft....I won't tell if you won't.

Refresh my memory, what kind of boat?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Ajax said:

@bgytr  Pffft....I won't tell if you won't.

Refresh my memory, what kind of boat?

Hood Gulfstar 40

Welp...take your time. Apparently these guys got it wrong.

EiOhNEzcipZXa-6Z4YCE9nGX0iF8Jr7_0crr4Reo

1 hour ago, Elegua said:

Welp...take your time. Apparently these guys got it wrong.

EiOhNEzcipZXa-6Z4YCE9nGX0iF8Jr7_0crr4Reo

Who is it?  What happened?

4 minutes ago, chester said:

unique angle for the crap on the back thread

Darn - lost opportunity. 

15 minutes ago, Ajax said:

Who is it?  What happened?

A couple of French guys going transatlantic noticed water spewing up the floorboards. Apparently it was pretty quick - just enough time to get in the raft - and they didn't report hitting anything. I can think of only two holes that big. 

yNYCLVOV66LT95c1Erk_AvJqRjlKo6AaXayuArUY

Damn.

Photos like that make my heart ache.  

In a holding pattern for the next few weeks, not sure if our destination is Maine or Trinidad.  Photo from a friend.  Us, Eros and Columbia who we were docked next to at Waterboat in Boston.

FB_IMG_1585926498913.jpg

• Like 4

I was on a starting line with those two a couple of years ago. 

59 minutes ago, Bryanjb said:

In a holding pattern for the next few weeks, not sure if our destination is Maine or Trinidad.  Photo from a friend.  Us, Eros and Columbia who we were docked next to at Waterboat in Boston.

FB_IMG_1585926498913.jpg

Damn that is a monster to be sailed by a couple.

Mad Skilz.

But think of all the room they have.

"I'm going to my room!"

"Fine!"  "Fine!"

Doors slam.

3 hours ago, Bryanjb said:

FB_IMG_1585926498913.jpg

C&C 61?

Last year. 

I slowly get used to the idea that she's not hitting the water this year. Bummer.

20191016_104949.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matagi said:

Last year. 

I slowly get used to the idea that she's not hitting the water this year. Bummer.

20191016_104949.jpg

Boy is she a looker.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bgytr said:

C&C 61?

Yes - you should see the pic of SWMBO up that skyscraper mast. :blink:

I don't know for sure that I could do it.

He married extremely well.

19 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Correct.

Saw one of those as a wide eyed kid back in the early 70s tied up before the Annapolis to Newport race.  Sorcery I think was the name.  Thems were the days...

ilha janga drone - trovão.png

• Like 1

On 4/3/2020 at 1:39 PM, bgytr