IStream

Show your boat not sailing

4 minutes ago, Ajax said:

@Midfleet  Sweeeeeet.  How do you like the Tartan vs. your previous boat?

We love it. The C&C drew too much for the Lowcountry. This boat is much more substantial and sails well. Easily driven and powered just right if you learn the right sail combinations. We were sailed out to the ocean and back yesterday making 9 knots on a beam reach in 12-15. Full sail and never buried the rail. Had a couple knot current push, but it was a blast nonetheless.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shaggybaxter said:

Before...

IMG_2281_SA.thumb.JPG.39ee3e76176cf68cb325d5a2c65b57fb.JPG

Yesterday....

IMG_2302_SA.thumb.JPG.8bb7d77e28caae36c1bc102f658ed095.JPG

Today...

290115642_IMG_2307(2).thumb.JPG.2191792a0261d7bd395f5fc8ef860ce6.JPG

IMG_2310.thumb.JPG.442f864b656473d4d207a8b448df33a6.JPG

:)

I like it, but I don't know what it is.

1 hour ago, Bull City said:

I like it, but I don't know what it is.

Hiya Bull,

Sorry, it's the hydraulic ram for the swing keel. I had to pull it down to fix an annoying leak. Bit of a mission but learnt a lot :).

That's the pump and reservoir down to the right, with a pair of solenoids on top for the up/downy bit. This is the ram after re-assembly sitting in its pivot plates. 

1443737241_IMG_2111(2).thumb.JPG.b457eaafeda83e819e67e95d316d3b4f.JPG

1802806924_IMG_2112(2).thumb.JPG.004713732446d8371170db39375365c1.JPG

Thanks, Shaggy. It looks beautifully made.

2 hours ago, shaggybaxter said:

Hiya Bull,

Sorry, it's the hydraulic ram for the swing keel. I had to pull it down to fix an annoying leak. Bit of a mission but learnt a lot :).

That's the pump and reservoir down to the right, with a pair of solenoids on top for the up/downy bit. This is the ram after re-assembly sitting in its pivot plates. 

1443737241_IMG_2111(2).thumb.JPG.b457eaafeda83e819e67e95d316d3b4f.JPG

1802806924_IMG_2112(2).thumb.JPG.004713732446d8371170db39375365c1.JPG

Nice Poster!  P.S.  It appears from my perch here that the ram shaft goes fore and aft.  If so, how does that get translated into p<>s?  Worm drive?

7 hours ago, dolphinmaster said:

Nice Poster!  P.S.  It appears from my perch here that the ram shaft goes fore and aft.  If so, how does that get translated into p<>s?  Worm drive?

G'day Dolphin,

You are correct good sir, it swings fore and aft as it's for reducing draft, not RM. The beam and draft means its pretty stiff, as long as you remember to drop the bloody keel before trying to reach off under kite....:huh:

IMG_0198 (2).jpg

• Like 1

Hi Shaggy, I was wondering if your boat can dry out between tides by sitting on rudders + centreboard?  Nice yacht.

25 minutes ago, shaggybaxter said:

G'day Dolphin,

You are correct good sir, it swings fore and aft as it's for reducing draft, not RM. The beam and draft means its pretty stiff, as long as you remember to drop the bloody keel before trying to reach off under kite....:huh:

IMG_0198 (2).jpg

Nice, what is it? Looks speedy.

Is that the hailing port or an affirmation under the boat's name?

3 minutes ago, he b gb said:

Hi Shaggy, I was wondering if your boat can dry out between tides by sitting on rudders + centreboard?  Nice yacht.

Thanks Hebee, 

I haven't had the balls to try, but yes she can sit on her keel quite comfortably. The rudders should be fine, the posts are 2" steel with good separation between the bearings, so I should give it a go one day. We have very gradual sloping shores around here, so I'd have to be on the beach amongst the families to get her fully out though :).

enhance

enhance

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bmiller said:

Nice, what is it? Looks speedy.

Is that the hailing port or an affirmation under the boat's name?

HIya Bmiller,

She's a Pogo 12.50,  a cruising version of the Class 40 hull. 

Nyuk nyuk nyuk, I never thought of that till you mention it!  Oh dear, it does look like a penis substitute thing doesn't it?   

Love that ram setup.  I wish more boats had it.  I like deep keel when I want it, and up when Im mooring.

• Like 1

I love that boat. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MauiPunter said:

Love that ram setup.  I wish more boats had it.  I like deep keel when I want it, and up when Im mooring.

One thing I miss about my Oday 23 is the swing centerboard.  I never really worried about running aground.  There are of course tradeoffs with having the ballast relatively high up, but man, that 2 foot draft was convenient.

• Like 1

Yeah, I've got to admit, 8' draft is occasionally limiting, but for the way we use this current boat, mostly in Maine, NS, or offshore, it's OK. 

My next/last boat will be deck saloon with galley and dinette up, inside as well as outside steering, and some form of swing/lifting keel. Almost certainly full custom, almost certainly Brooklin built. Probably 7-8 years off still. 

I've admired  Fusion since the first time I saw a pic. Our respective boats are as different as night and day, but represent my two favorite ends of the spectrum.

My actual fantasy boat is the Seaward 32RK.  I just love the idea of a retractable, high aspect bulb keel combined with traditional styling.  Everything about that boat pushes my buttons.  It's just way more money than I have or would even want to spend, and frankly, it's also more boat than I would ever likely use.  Very happy now with my "new" Catalina 28.

http://www.seawardyachts.com/32rk/

9 hours ago, Hukilau said:

My actual fantasy boat is the Seaward 32RK.  I just love the idea of a retractable, high aspect bulb keel combined with traditional styling.  Everything about that boat pushes my buttons.  It's just way more money than I have or would even want to spend, and frankly, it's also more boat than I would ever likely use.  Very happy now with my "new" Catalina 28.

http://www.seawardyachts.com/32rk/

I keep a number of fantasy boats stored in the back of my head:

under Florida boats, real: Nightwind 35, tiller version.  Glass Frog was one and sailed to the rating well in racing and could cruise the shallows very well with a retractable keel.  Presto 30 is another real one, but more camp cruising oriented.  

Mental fantasy, a Presto 36, Roger Martin style.  Little bigger to make a scosh more room for a gallery, but still be somewhat trailerable. 

- Stumbling 

Good call on the Nightwind 35.   That is a really cool boat.  I was briefly considering one but decided it wouldnt quite fit my program

13 hours ago, stumblingthunder said:

I keep a number of fantasy boats stored in the back of my head:

under Florida boats, real: Nightwind 35, tiller version.  Glass Frog was one and sailed to the rating well in racing and could cruise the shallows very well with a retractable keel.  Presto 30 is another real one, but more camp cruising oriented.  

Mental fantasy, a Presto 36, Roger Martin style.  Little bigger to make a scosh more room for a gallery, but still be somewhat trailerable. 

- Stumbling 

I looked up the Nightwind, having never heard of it. Very interesting to learn that they were built in my home town of Ft. Myers!

With a shallow draft of 2.75 feet with the keel up it does seem like an ideal Florida/Bahamas boat.  The description lists a Volkswagen Pathfinder diesel as the auxiliary. I wonder what finding parts for that is like?

The sketch seems to indicate a retractable cassette rudder?  It would be pretty cool to own a boat that large that you could beach!

Edit: The crappy sketch on sailboatdata.com doesn't do it justice.

http://www.boatersresources.com/bfs_detail.php?adid=373756

This boat seems really nice!  Check out the crazy cubby at the toe rail for Danforth anchor storage!

35 minutes ago, Ajax said:

I looked up the Nightwind, having never heard of it. Very interesting to learn that they were built in my home town of Ft. Myers!

With a shallow draft of 2.75 feet with the keel up it does seem like an ideal Florida/Bahamas boat.  The description lists a Volkswagen Pathfinder diesel as the auxiliary. I wonder what finding parts for that is like?

The sketch seems to indicate a retractable cassette rudder?  It would be pretty cool to own a boat that large that you could beach!

Edit: The crappy sketch on sailboatdata.com doesn't do it justice.

http://www.boatersresources.com/bfs_detail.php?adid=373756

This boat seems really nice!  Check out the crazy cubby at the toe rail for Danforth anchor storage!

Yes, usually the first thing to to with a Pathfinder (44 hp) is replace it.  I managed a Santa Cruz 50 with one of those and it was far less than satisfactory.  Motoring above 6 knots would overheat the motor.   Was replaced with a 36 hp yanmar and discovered we could motor all day at 8 knots!

I grew up with a Morgan 24, which had a 2.75 foot draft with the board up.   Set my ideal for gunk hole draft.  

Nightwind 35 was a great Bruce Kirby design, only 14 built.

- Stumbling 

What a cool boat!  If I take exception to anything, it's that engine seems too small.  Otherwise, I'm a big fan.  What is the mechanism for raising and lowering the centerboard?

1 hour ago, Hukilau said:

What a cool boat!  If I take exception to anything, it's that engine seems too small.  Otherwise, I'm a big fan.  What is the mechanism for raising and lowering the centerboard?

Engine too small, huh?

21 hp seems a bit low for an 11,000+ lb. boat, no?

22 minutes ago, Hukilau said:

21 hp seems a bit low for an 11,000+ lb. boat, no?

My boat is 10,000lbs with 24hp. With a clean hull I can get up to 6.9 - 7.1 knots at full blat.

I think the stated 41hp for the Pathfinder is excessive...assuming that it ever produced anywhere near that much.

• Like 1

Another Kirby gunkhole dragster: 40 WINKS is a one off cold moulded wood hull designed for a Bahamas owner. Then it found it's way to the coast of Maine and stayed in our harbor for,...10 years or so. 

1265672461_Kirby36.jpg.ae830b6921eee9a942484f0aae6cb405.jpg

I admired it and thought it was ahead of it's time. Had a real dinghy shape as you would expect from Bruce Kirby. He really compressed that # between WL and board up without totally destroying life below. It was really a spartan boat, comfortable weekender or overnighter.  

1538914228_40WINKS.thumb.jpg.4c33bde76d49233b745c7dde20d05966.jpg

The thing I liked the best was that he did a yawl rig. The yawl rig looked great on that boat and of course; it's a go-fast tool, for those who know how to use it. 

1365849200_40Winksstarboard.jpg.9fc7be31bbf0769f0f37811de72ed4bf.jpg

Last time it sold (owner had health issues) in the this soft market, it went for a song. 

• Like 3

That is just fascinating. And attractive.

I noticed 40 WINKS in 2015 when she was for sale:

One of the many things I like about 40 WINKS is the rub rail. It's not bulky and it looks more like a cove stripe than a rub rail.

what was the price back in 2015?

15 hours ago, Hukilau said:

what was the price back in 2015?

I seem to recall the price went below 100K in maybe the 75 range. I just remember the asking price was pretty low and I knew the owner and expect it went for even less. The reason it was such a deal is that the boat was essentially new in upkeep and maintenance. It had never been used much. 

This extra shoal draft Fontaine was an even better deal if you compare it to the new cost to build which was enormous. 

385285406_Fountain36(1of1).thumb.jpg.63409af1b19fb0f2ba6c9ff998270838.jpg

On 4/17/2020 at 3:34 AM, Kris Cringle said:

I seem to recall the price went below 100K in maybe the 75 range. I just remember the asking price was pretty low and I knew the owner and expect it went for even less. The reason it was such a deal is that the boat was essentially new in upkeep and maintenance. It had never been used much. 

This extra shoal draft Fontaine was an even better deal if you compare it to the new cost to build which was enormous. 

385285406_Fountain36(1of1).thumb.jpg.63409af1b19fb0f2ba6c9ff998270838.jpg

I heard that this one had some pretty squirrelly steering issues....

• Like 1

On 4/5/2020 at 6:22 PM, Trovão said:

Clube dos Jangadeiros, Rio Guaíba, Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul

Me parecía. Estuve en RGYC en 1970 (!!). De allí a Rio. Luego en 1973, pero Nordeste no permitió subir a Floria.

Ibamos a ir este año pero nos dijeron q hay fiebre amarilla. Nos fuimos a Tierra del Fuego. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Veeger said:

I heard that this one had some pretty squirrelly steering issues....

Yes, I think the bow thrusters - a luxury on a 36'er - proved to be mandatory with the boat.

It had absolutely every possible gizmo installed by looks. Had to be tethered to a dock and shore power for sure. But it was never intended otherwise, just fun sailing for a few hours. Isn't sailing great, you can get it for a for bucks or spend a million. 

1992720441_CARYALICOCKPITCLOSECROP.thumb.jpg.b92dd5fb2539d8b42f7b04a0cd3c80e7.jpg

I think it sailed well. Looked good on it's lines at the docks. 

493679009_CaryAlistarboard.thumb.jpg.d1ecde741d9f6ecf1aa7cfef1a360828.jpg 

Made the mistake of going on the Friendship first at the Newport Boat Show one year.  Followed up with the Morris "daysailer".  Bad idea.  Everything else looked like crap after that.

• Like 1

I've been on that boat. Stunning.

Is that the 40?   I was aboard one with the designer. It's really a fancy shag shack. Far too reliant on sailing systems. 

Show me a round bottom center boarder that maneuvers under power board up. 

Ted and I went for a quick sail at his suggestion, and quickly agreed that, for any kind of actual cruising, my SW-42 was more appropriate, especially with kids. 

The Eggemoggin 47 is a much better daysailor, until the water gets choppy and you try to go upwind.

The Friendship is really optimized for southern NE, the Eggemoggin for Maine. 

Shagging on the Eggemoggin would be a pretty tight squeeze. 

42 minutes ago, Cruisin Loser said:

Is that the 40?   I was aboard one with the designer. It's really a fancy shag shack. Far too reliant on sailing systems. 

Show me a round bottom center boarder that maneuvers under power board up. 

Ted and I went for a quick sail at his suggestion, and quickly agreed that, for any kind of actual cruising, my SW-42 was more appropriate, especially with kids. 

The Eggemoggin 47 is a much better daysailor, until the water gets choppy and you try to go upwind.

The Friendship is really optimized for southern NE, the Eggemoggin for Maine. 

Shagging on the Eggemoggin would be a pretty tight squeeze. 

That's the Fontaine 36. Here's the 50. This is a great looking boat too. Push a few buttons and full sails happen. Antithesis keel, very sticky in the Reach. 

613415496_Arabesquetraveliftcrop.thumb.jpg.6ede91346e5c155b1d4081a33055a643.jpg

The owner couldn't settle on a color. I'm not sure what color it is now. 

1367064433_Arabesquewhite(1of1).thumb.jpg.9f567496c0ff98e0a082a53c8411c386.jpg

Same Fontaine details in the design. The two Fontaines were it. Like so many new builds, there are high hopes from the owners and designers that orders will follow. That doesn't seem to happen. 

1436416705_Arabesque2.thumb.jpg.625538c866b80601e5ed4d7495b21fdd.jpg

Bucket, urge to prowl

My Everglades Challenge steed, Bucket, shortly after purchasing!

I am currently doing a refresh on her to sailing shape for over the Summer.   In the fall I will be doing the changes to put some performance upgrades and improve the ‘Adventure Enabler’ features.

Definitely a sign of a touch of insanity, but it is needed!

- Stumbling 

• Like 1

This is the latest in my "fleet" getting hauled for pre-purchase survey - and yes I consider her a cruiser - she's the first boat I've owned with a head!

92069104_622325321948802_7462905684284145664_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_sid=b96e70&_nc_ohc=AGFIfvk0plcAX_FtQpy&_nc_ht=scontent-syd2-1.xx&oh=7a1c230a37d96267faf0dcd8ad7ace3c&oe=5EC3380C

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, chester said:

what is it Stumbles?

Capri 16.5.   According to some sailing friends, Capri bought the design from Laser to fill out the lower end of their boat line.  

Bucket purchase date Bucket stern

I was looking for something that was reasonably light, could plane, yet had some roll stability for being single handed.

At least one other has participated in prior ECs, but not performance enhanced.  

- Stumbling 

7 minutes ago, stumblingthunder said:

Capri 16.5.   According to some sailing friends, Capri bought the design from Laser to fill out the lower end of their boat line.  

Bucket purchase date Bucket stern

I was looking for something that was reasonably light, could plane, yet had some roll stability for being single handed.

At least one other has participated in prior ECs, but not performance enhanced.  

- Stumbling 

nice.  i'm looking for a similar boat.  I've looked at those, CL16's,  Wayfarers, Lightnings, etc., etc, etc.  My problem is that there are almost no dingies of any kind where i live on the prairies.  They are kinda unicorns.   a couple of years ago I was down at the lake and the nephew of fellow sailor rolled in with a really nice CL16 on a nice trailer.  Said he bought in the city...Fuck!

3 hours ago, Kris Cringle said:

That's the Fontaine 36. Here's the 50. This is a great looking boat too. Push a few buttons and full sails happen. Antithesis keel, very sticky in the Reach. 

What is an Antithesis keel?

Edit  - OK, I got it, just the antithesis to the centerboarder. 

• Like 1

There's also a Friendship 75.  I think they built one of them.  I saw a photo spread of it in a magazine and drooled a bit.  Later that summer,  I was walking the docks at the Nantucket Boat Basin (no, I didn't sail there) when I saw that same Friendship 75.  She was tied along side a long pier, and she looked more stunning in person than on the page.  I walked up and slowly perused the boat.  Just as I got to the cockpit, a young man who was clearly paid crew came up from below carrying a picture-perfect charcuterie platter and placed it on the table.  I was about to say hello and engage him in some witty banter when he froze me with a death glare and then pointedly ignored me as he went back below.   There were other boats to ogle and I didn't want to intrude on the owner's privacy, so I moved on.  But that boat; oh my.

https://www.friendshipyachtcompany.com/our-yachts/friendship-75/f75/friendship-75-photo-gallery/

Belongs, or did, to John Kerry, bought with his wife's money. Built it in New Zealand. Boatyards in Maine could easily have matched the quality. So much for "Buy American". <_<

3 hours ago, ALL@SEA said:

This is the latest in my "fleet" getting hauled for pre-purchase survey - and yes I consider her a cruiser - she's the first boat I've owned with a head!

92069104_622325321948802_7462905684284145664_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_sid=b96e70&_nc_ohc=AGFIfvk0plcAX_FtQpy&_nc_ht=scontent-syd2-1.xx&oh=7a1c230a37d96267faf0dcd8ad7ace3c&oe=5EC3380C

That's my kind of cruiser! What is it? Must be pure luxury, the head in my boat is a bucket.

• Like 1

Now that, boys and girls, is what a high aspect keel looks like.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Misbehavin' said:

That's my kind of cruiser! What is it? Must be pure luxury, the head in my boat is a bucket.

She's  a Lyons designed Mt Gay 30, I was impressed by her performance on the test sail (before we all went into lockdown!), and her survey showed no reason not to buy her... I now just have to organise to pick her up and sail home - looking forward to that! Here are some older photos from previous owners.

Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race 20202016 Entrants | Launceston to Hobart yacht race

93236903_864748567333227_179166673876549632_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_sid=b96e70&_nc_ohc=l8Wu3-ADQ7IAX-2d0EN&_nc_ht=scontent-syd2-1.xx&oh=2dae24485233d5f4eea6ef2907fe464f&oe=5EC4248C

So yeah, itching to go sailing!

28 minutes ago, ALL@SEA said:

She's  a Lyons designed Mt Gay 30, I was impressed by her performance on the test sail (before we all went into lockdown!), and her survey showed no reason not to buy her... I now just have to organise to pick her up and sail home - looking forward to that! Here are some older photos from previous owners.

Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race 20202016 Entrants | Launceston to Hobart yacht race

93236903_864748567333227_179166673876549632_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_sid=b96e70&_nc_ohc=l8Wu3-ADQ7IAX-2d0EN&_nc_ht=scontent-syd2-1.xx&oh=2dae24485233d5f4eea6ef2907fe464f&oe=5EC4248C

So yeah, itching to go sailing!

Awesome. Must be a bit delicate upwind with those underwater foils, surely?

1 minute ago, Misbehavin' said:

Awesome. Must be a bit delicate upwind with those underwater foils, surely?

Delicate? She was beautiful to steer, though the helm is so light its spooky... it will be interesting to see how she goes in really light breezes without much flow over the foils, but I've seen her race, and she seems to go well enough for a hack like me. My other boat - which I'm yet to convince myself to sell can be a bit tender on the breeze, but delicate? Twitchy?

No photo description available.

(other boat)

... but I digress...

I can imagine it's light, the aspect ratio is quite high on both foils! Some boats with high aspects foils can be a bit delicate to steer upwind and sail to their ratings. I'm at a loss at decribing it with a better word.

I remember seeing your other boat recently in this thread, or another thread maybe. It does look a bit tender indeed in the last picture.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ALL@SEA said:

Delicate? She was beautiful to steer, though the helm is so light its spooky... it will be interesting to see how she goes in really light breezes without much flow over the foils, but I've seen her race, and she seems to go well enough for a hack like me. My other boat - which I'm yet to convince myself to sell can be a bit tender on the breeze, but delicate? Twitchy?

(other boat)

... but I digress...

No, it's OK, keep going

I like the looks you got there. Cool boat!

FB- Doug

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cruisin Loser said:

Belongs, or did, to John Kerry, bought with his wife's money.

I suspect that applies to most things in his life. :D

2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

I suspect that applies to most things in his life. :D

Here we go.

I windsurfed with John Kerry on Cape Cod.  Super nice dude.  He moved on to kiting....

7 hours ago, Misbehavin' said:

I can imagine it's light, the aspect ratio is quite high on both foils! Some boats with high aspects foils can be a bit delicate to steer upwind and sail to their ratings. I'm at a loss at decribing it with a better word.

I remember seeing your other boat recently in this thread, or another thread maybe. It does look a bit tender indeed in the last picture.

Have to be on your toes steering to keep water flowing the way you want it to over the foils.  Sail fat out of the tacks to build speed and solid flow over the foils and resist the urge to pinch in light air.  Otherwise you will be sailing sideways almost as fast as you were previously to windward!

- Stumbling 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, chester said:

nice.  i'm looking for a similar boat.  I've looked at those, CL16's,  Wayfarers, Lightnings, etc., etc, etc.  My problem is that there are almost no dingies of any kind where i live on the prairies.  They are kinda unicorns.   a couple of years ago I was down at the lake and the nephew of fellow sailor rolled in with a really nice CL16 on a nice trailer.  Said he bought in the city...Fuck!

Keep looking. I sold my Wayfarer in the province, but that was...mumbles...ago.

Back on the hard this morning, had only been in the water for exactly two weeks today

94404585_574014676802498_2259543729914249216_n.thumb.jpg.ad465d6c0dd2c10cdeab5f78332e0566.jpg

94257870_594789657784449_4038351375250227200_n.thumb.jpg.89f0abdb8fa1edad8977dfa6ef258165.jpg

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Cruisin Loser said:

Belongs, or did, to John Kerry, bought with his wife's money. Built it in New Zealand. Boatyards in Maine could easily have matched the quality. So much for "Buy American". <_<

I think it still belongs to him.  People love to point out that he married a wealthy woman, which while true, ignores the fact that Kerry has always been wealthy and could have built that yacht had he been single at the time.    

1 hour ago, eliboat said:

I think it still belongs to him.  People love to point out that he married a wealthy woman, which while true, ignores the fact that Kerry has always been wealthy and could have built that yacht had he been single at the time.    

Not really.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/4685276/ns/politics/t/john-kerry-cheap-aristocrat/#.Xp7-O6FKiUk

2 hours ago, eliboat said:

He also registered it out of state to save on the taxes while he was Senator of Mass  

4 minutes ago, Cristoforo said:

Part of the trust - Naushon Island

Massachusetts - Naushon Island, Martha's Vineyard / Nautical Chart Decor

But not part of HIS trust. Owned by cousins. 

^^ That is sadness.

• Like 1