IStream

Show your boat not sailing

Here is my new-to-me boat splashing about a month ago and all dressed up for Canada Day. It was a bit of a slog to get to this point - some cosmetic damage from Hurricane Dorian to repair and the Covid complications. She is a 1970 C&C designed Frigate 36.

$_50.JPG

Dressed for Canada Day.jpg

• Like 9

Shot just before I sold....put it on facebook and sold in 24 hrs...

IMG_1545.JPG

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, shavdog said:

IMG_1545.JPG

No wonder. That's a clean, sweet little boat.

• Like 1

On 7/13/2020 at 6:38 AM, Jim in Halifax said:

She is a 1970 C&C designed Frigate 36.

Remarkable for a 50-year-old girl. More pics please?

1 hour ago, shavdog said:

IMG_1545.JPG

I owned a Typhoon 1973 - 1980. Wonderful boat. Mine had light blue non-skid; yours looks much nicer. Any plans for a new boat?

1 hour ago, shavdog said:

IMG_1545.JPG

I'm surprised it took that long.  A well-kept treasure.

I need alittle break....I have two Cape Dory 22's in mind but you really need to be careful on price....people think their shit is worth gold....

5 hours ago, Bull City said:

Remarkable for a 50-year-old girl. More pics please?

Thanks Bull. I hope to get her "bristol fashion" over the next year, while still getting some sailing in. Although 50 years young, she has had only has three owners in that time and had a midlife refit in 2002, which included Imron paint on the topsides and a new Yanmar. The Frigate was an early C&C design from 1968, before their Niagara-on-the-Lake plant opened. They were built by Belleville Marine in Ontario and the production run was only 36 hulls. It is a keel-centreboard design, loosely following CCA type.

IMG_0256.JPG

IMG_20200614_165707_0.jpg

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Jim in Halifax said:

Thanks Bull. I hope to get her "bristol fashion" over the next year, while still getting some sailing in. Although 50 years young, she has had only has three owners in that time and had a midlife refit in 2002, which included Imron paint on the topsides and a new Yanmar. The Frigate was an early C&C design from 1968, before their Niagara-on-the-Lake plant opened. They were built by Belleville Marine in Ontario and the production run was only 36 hulls. It is a keel-centreboard design, loosely following CCA type.

Jim, she really has a classic look, over hangs, pretty transom, modest freeboard, pretty sheer. Looks like a perfect boat. What is the cabin like?

42 minutes ago, Bull City said:

Jim, she really has a classic look, over hangs, pretty transom, modest freeboard, pretty sheer. Looks like a perfect boat. What is the cabin like?

Galley along the bridge deck bulkhead. Settee and pilot berth to starboard, L-shaped settee and table to port. Heads and conventional V-berth going forward. Sleeps four.

$_55.JPG

$_56.JPG

page05.jpg

• Like 2

Really sweet boat, Jim. Well done!

• Like 2

Here is my new one. Definitely not sailing in these pictures. It will be soon. It is my design based off the profile of a Monk designed sloop I restored in the 1970's. 

IMG_3403.jpg

IMG_3411.jpg

IMG_3441.jpg

• Like 14

@Quilbilly That is a sweet looking boat! Looks like about 18'. At first I thought it was an Alberg Typhoon with a custom deckhouse. Did you build it? Can you give more details? Construction? Bottom configuration? Interior pics? Really nice.

B.C.

On 7/22/2020 at 5:48 PM, frozenhawaiian said:

dockside with the new under transom lights on. 

108012289_10157672329792947_2126538971701322471_o.jpg

Google Translate failed me. What does the name mean?

16 minutes ago, OSPREY said:

Anchored in Wallilabou Bay St. Vincent

D74663BB-7CB9-4693-8775-BBE0A50B23BE.jpeg

Swine! :P

About to go back in the water after a fresh lick of paint and anodes. Can't wait to go for a  sail.

115881224_3273711252674994_6817211250423753682_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_sid=b96e70&_nc_ohc=aD_7qHaTfx4AX_vVX30&_nc_ht=scontent-syd2-1.xx&oh=23c6bc72e92dbfd5a7cf34c5e72c555d&oe=5F4AB954

• Like 5

14 hours ago, IStream said:

Damn, she looks fast.

Haven't really pushed her yet, and she won't get up on the plane like more modern boats (she's ~1997), but she is certainly quick enough to keep things interesting, and as we haven't raced her (yet, C-19 etc), she is in the right forum;)

3 hours ago, ALL@SEA said:
17 hours ago, IStream said:

Damn, she looks fast.

Haven't really pushed her yet, and she won't get up on the plane like more modern boats (she's ~1997), but she is certainly quick enough to keep things interesting, and as we haven't raced her (yet, C-19 etc), she is in the right forum

Noice!!

I would call 1997 modern.

Looks like a fun boat to sail, and enough inside to think about where you're going spend the nigh too

FB- Doug

• Like 1

On 8/1/2020 at 9:10 AM, ALL@SEA said:

About to go back in the water after a fresh lick of paint and anodes. Can't wait to go for a  sail.

115881224_3273711252674994_6817211250423753682_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_sid=b96e70&_nc_ohc=aD_7qHaTfx4AX_vVX30&_nc_ht=scontent-syd2-1.xx&oh=23c6bc72e92dbfd5a7cf34c5e72c555d&oe=5F4AB954

Now I need new foils and a prod.

My wife won't be happy with you.

As Delivered September  2018.JPG

• Like 4

On 7/13/2020 at 5:51 AM, bgytr said:

Finally splashed this past Friday.

20200713_055009.jpg

Lovely

• Like 3

Thanks, still a few seasons of significant work left to get er up to snuff, but getting there.

3 minutes ago, bgytr said:

Thanks, still a few seasons of significant work left to get er up to snuff, but getting there.

isn't it the definition of boat ownership?

15 minutes ago, Trovão said:

isn't it the definition of boat ownership?

Don't ruin my delusion!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bgytr said:

Well, she looks great from here!

9 minutes ago, IStream said:

Well, she looks great from here!

Thanks- so far (since spring 2019), new winter cover, jib furler, north 135%, headstay, lower shrouds, babystay, halyards, jib sheets, centerboard cable, 2 new instruments, complete bottom job, topsides buffed, galley sink re-plumbed, refurbished and rebedded forward hatch. 

Upcoming- some deck core to replace this offseason, headliner replacement, piecemeal wood refinishing (as I can get to it), backstay and upper and D2 shroud replacement, hydraulic backstay adjuster install.  Then get into nitty gritty of cosmetic stuff to get her up to spit shine caliber, likely topsides paint job or vinyl wrap 2 yrs down the road.  Money money money...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bgytr said:

Money money money...

Makes the world go round!

image.png.527efe3244d7e7427990ff72c342fe3b.png

4 minutes ago, bgytr said:

Thanks- so far (since spring 2019), new winter cover, jib furler, north 135%, headstay, lower shrouds, babystay, halyards, jib sheets, centerboard cable, 2 new instruments, complete bottom job, topsides buffed, galley sink re-plumbed, refurbished and rebedded forward hatch. 

Upcoming- some deck core to replace this offseason, headliner replacement, piecemeal wood refinishing (as I can get to it), backstay and upper and D2 shroud replacement, hydraulic backstay adjuster install.  Then get into nitty gritty of cosmetic stuff to get her up to spit shine caliber, likely topsides paint job or vinyl wrap 2 yrs down the road.  Money money money...

That's a decent list. Out of curiosity, what 135% did you get? 

12 minutes ago, Elegua said:

That's a decent list. Out of curiosity, what 135% did you get? 

North radial cut.  It's pretty bulletproof, hope it lasts a while.

7 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Now I need new foils and a prod.

My wife won't be happy with you.

It's  always nice when the previous owner does all the work then buys a bigger boat, I just reaped the benefits of his efforts:)

How I we spent the last four days. I'm so lucky. Goes back in tomorrow morning.

bow.thumb.jpg.24ed0439dd08b74c2b80790a528bd1ac.jpg

• Like 4

Damn, Ishmel, ur hot.

1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

Nice.

Oooooh something shinny :)

8 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Shiny! Original gelcoat? Nice to see the old-style registration numbers. My past boats have been "11A...or 10D..." but the current one is registered. The new-style numbers starting with "NS..." or "BC..." are just too much like the Mercans'.

5 hours ago, Jim in Halifax said:

Shiny! Original gelcoat? Nice to see the old-style registration numbers. My past boats have been "11A...or 10D..." but the current one is registered. The new-style numbers starting with "NS..." or "BC..." are just too much like the Mercans'.

Except for those Mercans who document their boats and don't have to display registration numbers...

• Like 1

Just now, IStream said:

Except for those Mercans who document their boats and don't have to display registration numbers...

As is the case for my current registered (= documented in Mercan-speak) boat. We call the ones with numbers on the bow "licensed".

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jim in Halifax said:

Original gelcoat with a layer of Poli Glow. Actually around 14 layers of Poli Glow since we stripped it back to bare last year and started over with 10 coats.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Kris Cringle said:

Lightly aground(I.e. swaying on keel but not thumping),off Pond Island.

C242F297-6DE1-4067-888E-A59A65EA693B.jpeg

That's never happened to ME.

Hell, that's how I scrape the barnacles off the bottom of the keel where the paint don't get.

On 7/14/2020 at 12:28 PM, shavdog said:

I need alittle break....I have two Cape Dory 22's in mind but you really need to be careful on price....people think their shit is worth gold....

I had a typhoon that I bought right after getting my first "real" job after school, stupidly sank it in the Bahamas, and bought a CD 22, hull no. 3 to replace it.  Sold it a few years later for a bigger boat to live on (A freakin Morgan 27).

The CD 22 is a really nice sailing boat.  Surprisingly quick in light wind.  Has just enough room to actually "cruise", is pretty good in the ocean and is almost as pretty as a typhoon.  I could never roll over in the typhoon's quarter berths, couldn't get past sideways.  Miss both of those boats!

You will have fun on one!  Get a spinnaker for it!

Anchored way inside on the ‘shelf’ in Valley Cove, tons of day trippers milled about. 

We wondered if we wanted to be here after all.

Then, as the sun lifted out, they all disappeared leaving a few boats at anchor. Wind died and a peaceful evening followed.

Dawn was spectacular in this near mythical setting. As if on cue, the cry of a loon is the first sound I hear. 

Dawn is my time on the water.

56E03DFA-79E3-4166-82FC-2C0E28A23A42.thumb.jpeg.74c458fae579df1ec29e19ce49a8f221.jpeg

• Like 3

We finally got out this weekend.

Zero wind. Zip, nada.  We simply motored off the dock, around the corner to a popular cove in our river and put the anchor down. This was a break in the heat wave so we took advantage of it. 85F-ish degrees and even a little cloud cover.  At sunset the jetskis finally went away and most of the power boaters.  We saw the Milky Way and a planet (Venus?).

Fresh crabcakes for dinner with a Caprese salad. Killed off the bottle of Old Line navy strength rum. With the help of the fan in the v-berth, we had our best sleep in weeks.

Serving 2 rivers, we have what I call the "Wandering Minstrel of Poop."  It's a pump-out boat that roams the rivers, supposedly accessible by VHF and cell phone but they never respond. You pretty much have to run them down and catch them. It's free, funded by a grant to the Riverkeeper. Tip the operator, he has a shitty job. Anyway, the next morning we caught the Minstrel and he followed us back to our slip so I got the bonus of an empty holding tank.

No pics handy at the moment.

I've booked Sept 5-15 off and we're going sailing. I have a charity regatta this Saturday. Maybe I'll have pics for the "sailing" thread.

• Like 1

sometimes you gotta work on the boat too. Mid-summer short haul..the prop was getting dirty making the engine run hotter and work harder, and she was sluggish (even more sluggish than your typical 4KSB! :lol:), so in the land of sea nettles, it is easier to pay the man with the travel lift, and an hour later she is all fresh and clean. 

20200808_101307.jpg

• Like 1

@Hike, Bitches!  You didn't even have any hard growth. It's that racer's itch that tells you that you've lost 1/16th of a knot!

• Like 1

Twinbro and Liz with Bigbro and his boss motoring to his temporary slip while the helical coil mooring off his home is being prepared. No rocks around here.

069A1124-8575-4EA3-AA0B-AFDB6F8A403E.jpeg

BC9CD464-D53F-4FFB-B7FE-58CDCF629519.jpeg

1AEEC3D0-B4D3-49F0-AD9B-2C6DE06C3076.jpeg

• Like 1

Covid cruising in the San Juan Islands.  The popular anchorages are loaded with boats.  We found solitude in this narrow cove. 

Not really enough room to swing, so I put out a couple stern anchors in a wide "V" just in case the forecast of 25 to 35 develops overnight (it probably wont).

mzdAWp3.jpg

• Like 10

With all due respect you lot can go and fuck your collective hats...

This is my boat not sailing.... just north of the tree... left of the big mobo...

sigh....

notsailing....jpg

That was 3 months ago. You sure she's still there?

:ph34r:

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, IStream said:

That was 3 months ago. You sure she's still there?

:ph34r:

That's mean. :D

• Like 1

Lots of boat traffic on our coast. Especially the popular destinations like Northeast Harbor. Hot days! We lived under that awning way down there.

FA14AE3D-9E5C-4D58-A687-BAD61283E1B2.thumb.jpeg.6c0632c19e5833b862c004850ac79033.jpeg

moorings gone early at NEH and yesterday at Frenchboro. Biggest crowd I’ve seen at the dockside lobster shack. 

Ice box box and water tanks refilled, we’ll leave the crowds and go hide for a while. 90% go to 10% of the coast. Pick your own root.

4AE6CCF7-BAD0-4A46-BE21-FA580AD5818B.thumb.jpeg.7af45f32caf8fd542cb19324b6f474c1.jpeg

• Like 1

Would you say the larger crowds are due to COVID?

39 minutes ago, Ajax said:

Would you say the larger crowds are due to COVID?

Yes. The purveyor at Frenchboro said his crowds are due to covid. Not masses, just full house in some spots, Maine relative of course. 

On shore, traffic is down. 

• Like 1

On 7/26/2020 at 2:43 PM, Ajax said:

Google Translate failed me. What does the name mean?

If I'm not mistaken, in Mayan mythology,  Nicte Ha was the (female) guardian of the sacred waters, but I may be wrong.  

The uninhabited south coast of Frenchboro. Miles of trails you'll almost certainly have to yourself. 

There are beautiful trails all over the island. 

IMG_1387.thumb.jpg.00a50ba2d0a913d698a7627440b8940e.jpg

Just my opinion, but people who mainly cruise southern New England go to Camden, Northeast Harbor, SW Hbr, etc, because they are used to moorings and docks, and are less comfortable with their anchoring skills. They also want to see the highlights from Taft and Rindlaub. The places without moorings tend to be empty. 

We generally only go to Northeast after Labor Day, to bicycle the carriage roads of Acadia.

• Like 3

We found our own private island this week during the hot spell...

enhance

enhance

I know, it's a sailing forum... just shut her engine down when it's blowing a bit and see how she schoons!

• Like 3

That's a good looking little mobo. I'll bet she skoots. Not too wet, I'd imagine.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, IStream said:

That's a good looking little mobo. I'll bet she skoots. Not too wet, I'd imagine.

Thanks! She's just a working skiff and as such, pounds like a mofo and steers hard in a cross breeze. Next one I build will be a deadrise version of the same boat. Pretty good in local conditions.

enhance

enhance

• Like 2

She ain't purty yet... and that blue tarp acting as a sun shade is just about redneck as can be, but it works. We also adjusted that middle fender. Some folk can't wait to take photos to give a chance to get a new to me boat settled into the slip.

Been focusing on the functional bits before I tackle painting the topsides... with the possible exception of the Jabsco joker valve on the head. I might even figure out a method of raising the mast on the water before I tackle that head... if I wait long enough, I'll be able to pick up a desiccating toilet, and skip the valve replacement entirely.

ICFwyzykG0-ZOMY1tiepHIgql0indPtzfQRtIiaZ

A pic taken by a dock neighbor of a storm.  I plucked it off Facebook. Like many a work in progress we are getting there. Boat name Get"In Bygetinby81720.jpg.add788bd520c2d63cc26e3d4abe6f73e.jpg

• Like 4

This  was taken in Tersane Turkey Jan/Feb 2008.

282559_10150235770491652_3087853_n.jpg

• Like 2

And this in the Musandam area of Oman near Khasab.

28714_1192426909805_7157731_n.jpg

• Like 4

That's different. 

1 hour ago, triciarob said:

And this in the Musandam area of Oman near Khasab.

28714_1192426909805_7157731_n.jpg

Jeezuss - that looks like the moon but with water.

How hot was it?

29 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

How hot was it?

It was about 35 degrees C. Going swimming was weird coz you would sweat in the water.

This is a panorama shot Rob took halfway up a big hill.

28714_1192427109810_697972_n.jpg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

How hot was it?

When I was stationed in the UAE, that's exactly what we said about the port town of Fujairah which happens to border Oman. I was there during the summer. 115F degrees with 95% humidity. It definitely wasn't a "dry heat."  I operated small patrol boats but never got into natural areas like @triciarob.

40 minutes ago, Ajax said:

When I was stationed in the UAE, that's exactly what we said about the port town of Fujairah which happens to border Oman. I was there during the summer. 115F degrees with 95% humidity. It definitely wasn't a "dry heat."  I operated small patrol boats but never got into natural areas like @triciarob.

Coastal deserts are miserable - Ali Al Saleem in Kuwait was like that - every breath felt like you felt like you were breathing thru a steaming hot towel.  350 miles north and 10F hotter was actually much more comfortable.  Djibouti - same. 

Just down the coast At Dhaharan, or on Ascension Island it was the same, the aircraft landed they opened the doors and you'd see the condensation rolling down the roof of the cabin.. Cars used to rust along the inside edges of the cabin rooves..

Lonehort Harbour, Bere Island, an old Viking hangout. They built a breakwater at the entrance and used to haul their boats for maintenance. Tough to get in around some nasty rocks, which my keel found out the hard way

8yrnCCH.jpg

• Like 9

6 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:
7 hours ago, Ajax said:

Coastal deserts are miserable - Ali Al Saleem in Kuwait was like that - every breath felt like you felt like you were breathing thru a steaming hot towel.  350 miles north and 10F hotter was actually much more comfortable.  Djibouti - same. 

I hope you're not saying you found Djibouti in any way possible related to the concept of "comfortable."

I was only there a few times, stopped a bit over a week once, made the places we were in transit to/from seem like pleasant gardens by comparison

- DSK

3 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

I hope you're not saying you found Djibouti in any way possible related to the concept of "comfortable."

I was only there a few times, stopped a bit over a week once, made the places we were in transit to/from seem like pleasant gardens by comparison

- DSK

Sorry - I can see how you'd get that from my clumsy phrasing.  No - Djibouti was just like Ali Al Saleem, PSAB, etc.  Just a bit inland, Addis Ababa was actually a relief. ( the monkeys at the airport were cool, the DC3 wrecks along the side of the runway gave ya pause) 

Just now, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Sorry - I can see how you'd get that from my clumsy phrasing.  No - Djibouti was just like Ali Al Saleem, PSAB, etc.  Just a bit inland, Addis Ababa was actually a relief. ( the monkeys at the airport were cool, the DC3 wrecks along the side of the runway gave ya pause) 

Wrecks, hell, those DC-3s were spare parts storage! I was either shipboard or at the (oil) tank farm off from the harbor.

Oddly enough I was heavily recruited to work in Djibouti, and while my time there had some very interesting features/characters, there is not enough money in the world to induce me to live there for X years.

Never went to Addis Ababa, until recently I had no idea about some of the cool stuff to see over there although I did know it's in the Bible. Didn't see any sailboats (although I see plenty at Al Jubail on the Gulf) or have time to think about sailing.

FB- Doug

• Like 1

IMG_20200729_164419.thumb.jpg.b5694fedffc4aa113905a23640227095.jpg

My 10 year old daughter and I took the boat up to the San Juans for three weeks.  This is east side of James Island with Mt. Baker in the background.  We had wetsuits and swam to the island hence the dinghy still attached.  Costs about 3/4 of a knot pulling that thing but makes up for it when the daughter pops up on waterskis!

MVIMG_20200730_205954.thumb.jpg.9954abf410059332d0efd532c86b41a9.jpg

Rafted to our sistership in East Sound off of Rosario.  Mine is the one with the jib furl all fucked up.  Hadn't noticed the bad furl until I took this shot...

• Like 4

Is that a Wauquiez or a Sweden Yachts?   Those a really nice boats eitherway.

On July 13, 2020 at 4:51 AM, bgytr said:

Finally splashed this past Friday.

20200713_055009.jpg

Did you ever see the review of that in Nautical Quarterly? Might have been the first issue. 

5 hours ago, Cruisin Loser said:

Did you ever see the review of that in Nautical Quarterly? Might have been the first issue. 

Ya I did, years ago as a teen- our family had one.  It was a comparison of the Gulfstar to a Hinkley Bermuda 40 if memory serves.  The review was kind of disparaging to the Gulfstar if I remember right, saying it was an ok boat, but not the quality of a Bermuda 40.