IStream

Show your boat not sailing

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Like I said at the time - your Santana was just too nice for me - I need a project. :D

You are livin' large - what's the new boat? I don't recognize it from that angle - a Jeanneau?.

Seems like overkill for Indian Arm - you're going to have a long haul to get it out of the Cove.

It's a Jeanneau 39i. The Cove is a great place to have the boat, 5min from my house! Getting out to the bay only takes a couple of hours. Maybe less with a 7.5kt cruising speed! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sailing you say, eh? 

Just yesterday I installed and fired up the lights/plugs at the new ‘Yak Shack Art Studio and Boatworks!

First order of business, is learning how to steam bend some strips of oak to replace the few plastic ribs in the kayak, restoring the Aleutian-style baidarka kayak to its more traditional construction (and replace some screws, added by the boatbuilder I bought the frame from, with sinew lashings).  And then learn how to skin a kayak...  The later “boat not sailing” pic will be a B and B Yacht Designs two-part nesting dinghy. (I really hope their shop survived Hurricane Florence: it’s near New Bern, NC, which got heavily flooded ) 

Third pic, our old Cal 20 not sailing — engine removed and sculling oars at the ready -- last minute prep with the kid in Port Townsend, Washington in June the day before stage 1 of Race to Alaska.  Last pic, the big boat back on her mooring, BC coast, back from a short shakedown cruise after my diesel engine rebuild and reinatallation. (It’s the year of Boat Mayhem :-) )

BC6EFF1B-33A1-4212-A26A-AD6F26412218.jpeg

2DCAD9E4-4DF9-46DC-A8CE-CA33384AD02F.jpeg

E764CC20-A9A3-4CB0-B109-9D71315861CD.jpeg

91A711C0-717C-4415-A2E9-A208CBC09FAC.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/12/2018 at 11:29 AM, IStream said:

Since I don't have a drone or friends on boats with cameras, I figured I'd start a thread for those poor souls who're boat-proud but similarly deprived.

Here's ours in full lazy family cruising mode at the Rosario dock with sails tightly stowed in case of hurricane, dinghy at the ready to abandon ship, and hammock deployed in anger.IMG_20180808_094750.jpg.f910649ef47db900edb4004e18f0f7ba.jpg

Lookin' good, IStream. I didn't realize they changed the docks at Rosario. Last time I docked there, a character with a Catalina 42 was running the show. I had to board his boat, sign in, talk about waves for a while, then off to the heated pool with the kiddos. Great place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, lasal. The main docks are as shabby as ever but they added the linear dock for the Kenmore Air float planes that come and go. There's also a functioning marina office with kids who actually seem to know what they're doing. The resort is slowly starting to reinvest in the facilities, which is great to see. It's one of our favorite stops when we're not at anchor. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Ozmex said:

Ok, what smart arse moved the posts.

B54F6E14-C230-46E6-B8A2-92DF5D200038.jpeg

 

I didn't move the posts.  Honest.

And it's no my fault that the boat ate a truckload of pies after it was moored.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Leaving the boat on the last day of our first season with her.  Yeah, I left the hatch open...  They hauled her the next day, so it worked out ok.

15823291_1600627106631001_33655710240916

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Bull City said:

This far north, Florence has been a non-event, some wind, rain and clouds, but no loss of power or trees. Just an excuse to drink.

Shite! The local news weather doppler team just reported a rotating cell, which could have developed into a funnel cloud, which could have developed into a tornado  which was headed in the general direction of my marina, which could have destroyed my boat! :angry:

Fortunately it disappeared. Whew!

Looks like we're going to get more rain as Florence moves north. This will cause more flooding in Eastern North Carolina.

I had an Aunt Florence, who was a lovely woman. She was a Marine nurse in WWII, and met her husband, a Marine wounded in the Pacific, as he recovered in the states. He was a bit of an asshole, and their only child, my cousin, is a complete dip-shit, who married a domineering woman who I cannot stand. Their only child, a son, is a very nice chap. Despite all this, Aunt Florence was a bright, caring woman well into her 90s. Life is strange.

We are awaiting the visit of Cadet Bonespurs and his paper towel brigade.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I take it that no other members of your family are members here? :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/13/2018 at 9:14 AM, DrWatson said:

Is Truth still moored in Wickford?

 

Apologies for the delayed reply--- I didn't have any knowledge of a "Truth" in Wickford, so I waited until I could catch up with a buddy who has a longer history here. He didn't recognize it either....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sshow bob said:

Leaving the boat on the last day of our first season with her.  Yeah, I left the hatch open...  They hauled her the next day, so it worked out ok.

15823291_1600627106631001_33655710240916

Looks like a happy boat dog......:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sshow bob said:

Leaving the boat on the last day of our first season with her.  Yeah, I left the hatch open...  They hauled her the next day, so it worked out ok.

15823291_1600627106631001_33655710240916

That picture says a lot. Great pic. And I like the pan on the deck too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

 

Here is us not sailing, along with a few other boats upthread.

IMG_0133.thumb.JPG.c3a3ac101e477f104d9d3fcfe2b6a017.JPG

That was a fun day! Didn't know anyone got a shot of the lil Pearson rafted up against Coup d'Etat before we moved off for fear of scratching a paint job worth more than our boat... Are you in RI now BJ, or back down under again?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/13/2018 at 10:30 AM, TwoLegged said:

Ouch.  What happened?

 

 

On 9/15/2018 at 5:01 AM, Sail4beer said:

Kind of like the old drug running boat in the Florida Keys. They’d pump it out at night, blowtorch the deisel to melt the wax in the cylinders, fire it up and make the run. Sun up comes and the boat goes back down!

Sorry for the belated replies. Not my boat.

No drug runners out here, just liveaboards that wash ashore. We have the old rum runners out here, big powerful mtb's to outrun customs during prohibition.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right Angle Bay, north end of Gambier Island, H 35.5 stern tie.

rIGHT aNGLE bAYJPG.JPG

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, IStream said:

The main docks are as shabby as ever but ...

Huh.  I was there in July on the way back from the Gulf islands, and thought the docks were very nice.  I was inside the breakwater, maybe that's where they're spending the money...?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Anomaly2 said:

That was a fun day! Didn't know anyone got a shot of the lil Pearson rafted up against Coup d'Etat before we moved off for fear of scratching a paint job worth more than our boat... Are you in RI now BJ, or back down under again?

Back in Oz for a while.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, snubber said:

That picture says a lot. Great pic. And I like the pan on the deck too.

Stops the leak before it happens.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LOL - I missed the pan until you guys pointed it out. It was drinking water for Mercy McBark.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Restive-8895.jpg.c59c28f83813e16ccbc78b30e60e0228.jpg

Tied up in Baddeck, NS

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Aheu said:

People wonder why Scandinavian boats have split or notched bow pulpits.  This is why. ;) 

What's the boat?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CL, when people talk of "furniture boats" they are usually speaking of the interior.

But yours is like a piece of furniture on the outside.  Stunning.

However, I'd be terrified to take such beauty to sea.  My head would explode at the idea of people clomping around on such beautiful woodwork while the sea batters it and boat gear bounces off it.

So I want my boat to be scruffy (so I can relax about it), and other people to have wooden magnificence ... while I let Elvis Costello rationalise it for me :)
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TL,

Restive is not a dock queen, and never will be. She has 10 or so Bermuda trips under her belt, plus a couple to the south coast of Newfoundland. Yes, she's beautiful, that's part of her mission, and part of the joy of sailing and owning her. I LOVE getting people out sailing her. Whatever nicks or scratches we inflict by flogging her around can be easily put to right by the wonderful people who built and care for her. They love her almost as much as I, but what really makes her special to them, and they've told me this, is that she gets SAILED more than almost any other boat they've built. That's what she was built for.

Yes, she's also pretty below, but very practical. She was the 4rth and final custom built cruiser/racer for her original owner, who is a dear friend and tremendously knowledgeable, his second Alden after a pair of Aage Neilsen's. She's a very well thought out offshore cruiser, with great performance due to the modern underbody and tall carbon rig.  She came to me by design, as he needed her new owner to "get" her, and to also keep up the mission of sailing the heck out of this boat. Somebody has to do it. Count me willing to take one for the team.

If you're ever in the same neighborhood I'd be disappointed if you didn't come sailing. Just don't hit your head on the boom. It's a big'un.

501089319_IMG_0332RFS.thumb.jpg.44a4a8b58f917c42eb1dd3103f99d239.jpg538373779_Restive20below.thumb.jpg.ebd50a633c34bcc73b21bb80220eeb71.jpg694173850_RESTIVE-Ins(2).jpg.fd046834c741283a0f48d00a76e2ecb8.jpg

 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, IStream said:

Thanks, lasal. The main docks are as shabby as ever but they added the linear dock for the Kenmore Air float planes that come and go. There's also a functioning marina office with kids who actually seem to know what they're doing. The resort is slowly starting to reinvest in the facilities, which is great to see. It's one of our favorite stops when we're not at anchor. 

1361818511_ScreenShot2018-09-17at10_41_38AM.png.2de6d27188081dc1b1dacd688ac6d9c0.png

Last time I was there, there was just the center dock. (And there's the Catalina 42 on the left.) The ring of docks is much better. During that stop I talked to the owner of the Wylie 70, who was there on his other sailboat, also a nice racing boat. Rosario is on the list next San Juans trip. I love the hike to Cascade Lake too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you want a slightly longer and more strenuous hike, keep on going past Cascade lake and up to Cascade Falls. It's a small waterfall that you can get right up to. The kids loved it and then they did the bridge jump into the lake on the way back down. Good times. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, lasal said:

1361818511_ScreenShot2018-09-17at10_41_38AM.png.2de6d27188081dc1b1dacd688ac6d9c0.png

Last time I was there, there was just the center dock.... The ring of docks is much better.

Interesting.  Looks like they've largely removed the center dock and replaced with a new configuration.  When I was there a couple of months ago it looked like this:

rosario.JPG.2c87827afd8ce7bad8cede8324776f2b.JPG

...and all the decking, shorepower posts, etc looked brand new.  I was favorably impressed. 

Plus, cute dock girls in short-shorts to take my lines on arrival.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, IStream said:

If you want a slightly longer and more strenuous hike, keep on going past Cascade lake and up to Cascade Falls. It's a small waterfall that you can get right up to. The kids loved it and then they did the bridge jump into the lake on the way back down. Good times. 

Another good hike on Orcas is Turtleback Mountain.  You can hitchhike from the West Sound Marina or it is a short walk from Deer Harbor.

Last time that I did it we hitchhiked from the Orcas Island YC docks to the official trailhead.  At the top we found some trails to scramble down back to the YC dock.  It was a really nice afternoon hike.

I don't normally suggest hitchhiking, but it is common and strikes me as pretty safe on Orcas.  I've also hitched from Rosario into town a few times to buy groceries.  There is an official "ride sharing" stop at the turnoff from the main road down to the resort.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

November 2nd 2015...was one of the last to go to bed for the season...there were  some nice days...I motored to haul out and it was almost 60 degrees.

Last year was the same, but warmer...ironically I was skiing at the local ski hill two weeks later.

13805936_Screenshotfrom2018-09-1713-16-02.thumb.png.e9829c1b760e8e1e5a9440a72afe0cb8.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Diarmuid said:

People wonder why Scandinavian boats have split or notched bow pulpits.  This is why. ;) 

What's the boat?

Hmpf,

the flag indicates Germany. The poster claims "Baltic" as home, whereas this is clearly on the Swe west coast - not Baltic. Consequently .... 

//J

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, sledracr said:

Interesting.  Looks like they've largely removed the center dock and replaced with a new configuration.  When I was there a couple of months ago it looked like this:

rosario.JPG.2c87827afd8ce7bad8cede8324776f2b.JPG

...and all the decking, shorepower posts, etc looked brand new.  I was favorably impressed. 

Plus, cute dock girls in short-shorts to take my lines on arrival.

I stand corrected about the main docks. I didn't go down to walk them and I guess I didn't look closely enough.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Diarmuid said:

People wonder why Scandinavian boats have split or notched bow pulpits.  This is why. ;) 

What's the boat?

It’s a Winner 9.5 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sledracr said:

Interesting.  Looks like they've largely removed the center dock and replaced with a new configuration.  When I was there a couple of months ago it looked like this:

rosario.JPG.2c87827afd8ce7bad8cede8324776f2b.JPG

...and all the decking, shorepower posts, etc looked brand new.  I was favorably impressed. 

Plus, cute dock girls in short-shorts to take my lines on arrival.

Google Earth imagery from 2017:

PVUosji.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Jaramaz said:

Hmpf,

the flag indicates Germany. The poster claims "Baltic" as home, whereas this is clearly on the Swe west coast - not Baltic. Consequently .... 

//J

 

Yes, German. This pictured place belongs to the Kattegat area, wich is not that far from our homeport in germany at the baltic sea. The boat was build by the winner yard (winner 9.5).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/16/2018 at 6:30 PM, Bull City said:

Shite! The local news weather doppler team just reported a rotating cell, which could have developed into a funnel cloud, which could have developed into a tornado  which was headed in the general direction of my marina, which could have destroyed my boat! :angry:

Fortunately it disappeared. Whew!

Looks like we're going to get more rain as Florence moves north. This will cause more flooding in Eastern North Carolina.

I had an Aunt Florence, who was a lovely woman. She was a Marine nurse in WWII, and met her husband, a Marine wounded in the Pacific, as he recovered in the states. He was a bit of an asshole, and their only child, my cousin, is a complete dip-shit, who married a domineering woman who I cannot stand. Their only child, a son, is a very nice chap. Despite all this, Aunt Florence was a bright, caring woman well into her 90s. Life is strange.

We are awaiting the visit of Cadet Bonespurs and his paper towel brigade.

Maybe you’ll get lucky and the Thing won’t show. Be better for all concerned if he just went golfing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/16/2018 at 9:21 PM, snubber said:

That picture says a lot. Great pic. And I like the pan on the deck too.

Selma says thank you - the pic is hers.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it;s out there on the dock somewhere...    it's dark out..

 

image.png.d363ea3b1931d3e2616405b41884aa35.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Cruisin Loser said:

she gets SAILED more than almost any other boat they've built. That's what she was built for.

results CL , link will suffice :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

CL, when people talk of "furniture boats" they are usually speaking of the interior.

But yours is like a piece of furniture on the outside.  Stunning.

However, I'd be terrified to take such beauty to sea.  My head would explode at the idea of people clomping around on such beautiful woodwork while the sea batters it and boat gear bounces off it.

So I want my boat to be scruffy (so I can relax about it), and other people to have wooden magnificence ... while I let Elvis Costello rationalise it for me :)
 

 

There’s nothing like the sight of repaired damage or dings in a floating work of art. It serves as reminders of times good and bad and reflect the true nature of a sailboat and the sailor’s life!

 

Plus, Restive has gone through a lot of miles and and has an epic tale to accompany it through the ages. Plus dings...

Here’s my taffrail. The first 4’ in the port side was snapped off  by accident when I’m the slings. I could have replaced the section, but I preferred to rebuild it in situ. Even saved the snapped balusters.

1639BC81-3858-454A-AA1D-7D95B330CE83.jpeg

CBFAAFD9-5FB7-4E94-BD04-3516EE78B263.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here’s a favourite of mine. It was taken a few years ago by Jon Eisberg who was on his way to Newfoundland.

B2B22C46-30C0-4F73-8499-5F01F0C275FE.jpeg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CL, tell me about the fireplace in Restive, it's beautiful. It looks sort of like a Luke? It reminds me of one I saw on an Aggie Nielsen. It also resembles the old Simpson Laurence fireplaces like I have on my boat.

 

Do you have a door or something that goes over the firebox? How about the stove pipe: What's on deck and what's the process to mount - unmount? Do you have a damper in the pipe or is there some way to damp it down on the stove?

 

How is it actual use, heat output, draft etc? Do you get an occasional backdraft? I notice the grill in the wall behind. I also notice the panel to the right is cracked open. Is overheating an issue? Use firewood chunks for fuel? Really nice, a very beautiful boat with lovely details. I think in fact that woodwork is well thought out for use/abuse. It will look even better with a few more decades of dings and divots. Do it! 

 

IMG_0332 RFS.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sail4beer said:

There’s nothing like the sight of repaired damage or dings in a floating work of art. It serves as reminders of times good and bad and reflect the true nature of a sailboat and the sailor’s life!

 

Plus, Restive has gone through a lot of miles and and has an epic tale to accompany it through the ages. Plus dings...

Here’s my taffrail. The first 4’ in the port side was snapped off  by accident when I’m the slings. I could have replaced the section, but I preferred to rebuild it in situ. Even saved the snapped balusters.

1639BC81-3858-454A-AA1D-7D95B330CE83.jpeg

 

3

Beer, I love that repair.  It is a sound fix, but the subtle scar is visible evidence that this boat is a living thing.

Still, I guess that some unparliamentary language was heard when the slings did their mischief ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/15/2018 at 4:18 PM, Bull City said:

LD, that is just beautiful. It kind of sums up the allure of cruising. What kind of ground tackle did you have out?

I have a 44lb Mantus anchor, 250' of 5/16" G-4 chain, and use 30' of 5/8" 3-Strand for the snubber.  

I was in approximately 25' of water at high tide, with 150' of chain out, great holding here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^ As the carpenter sayeth, "That ain't goin' no where." 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/12/2018 at 4:56 PM, Kris Cringle said:

Not sailing last weekend in the Fox Island Thoroughfare, Penobscot Bay, Maine. Fall, best light for photos, is here. 

42833648450_be5f6efe60_o.jpg

 

is that an Alden Challenger?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/17/2018 at 5:34 PM, Cruisin Loser said:

TL,

Restive is not a dock queen, and never will be. She has 10 or so Bermuda trips under her belt, plus a couple to the south coast of Newfoundland. Yes, she's beautiful, that's part of her mission, and part of the joy of sailing and owning her. I LOVE getting people out sailing her. Whatever nicks or scratches we inflict by flogging her around can be easily put to right by the wonderful people who built and care for her. They love her almost as much as I, but what really makes her special to them, and they've told me this, is that she gets SAILED more than almost any other boat they've built. That's what she was built for.

Yes, she's also pretty below, but very practical. She was the 4rth and final custom built cruiser/racer for her original owner, who is a dear friend and tremendously knowledgeable, his second Alden after a pair of Aage Neilsen's. She's a very well thought out offshore cruiser, with great performance due to the modern underbody and tall carbon rig.  She came to me by design, as he needed her new owner to "get" her, and to also keep up the mission of sailing the heck out of this boat. Somebody has to do it. Count me willing to take one for the team.

If you're ever in the same neighborhood I'd be disappointed if you didn't come sailing. Just don't hit your head on the boom. It's a big'un.

2

My apologies, @Cruisin Loser. I think that my unexplained inclusion of the song may have made my post appear dismissive or hostile, which is not at all what I intended.   I was intending to describe my own gut response to the prospect of having such a boat, not to cast nasturtiums on your choice. Sorry if that came out wrong.

I do know that Restive is no dock queen.  You and her previous owner have both sailed her well, and I have enjoyed your accounts of her exploits, as well as your pictures of her underway.

My aesthetic tastes tend to be very utilitarian.   I don't like the finish of anything to detract from my freedom to enjoy using it for its intended purpose, so e.g. I own no polished furniture.  I promised myself as a young adult that I would own neither the sort of table which needs a coaster or placemats, nor a sofa I would not want my dog to sleep on, or curtains my cats couldn't climb on ... and I have stuck to that.  I love the cheap IKEA side tables made from particle board, because they are disposable: they cost less than a takeaway curry, and their fate never worries me.  That approaches frees me to enjoy my space and the company I have, rather than worrying about physical stuff.

When it comes to cars, I curse the over-designed abominations which every manufacturer supplies.  Why can't I buy something with a bare aluminium body where don't matter, with a wipedown interior, and with a floor made of cushioned rubber with a drainhole so I could wash it down.  What on earth is with carpets on car floors?  To me it seems utterly bonkers.

So when It comes to boats, the vessels I own nowadays are old fibreglass, which is already scratched and faded.  That way I don't worry at all about a few more stains and scratches.  My ideal aesthetic for a bigger boat would be the workboat style of a Boreal.

I can see how Restive works for you, cos she is clearly a very fine and special sailing boat (despite that pregnant whale's boom ::grin::), and you are in the lucky position of being able to pay to have her constantly fettled and repaired.   In those circumstances, I can see how the fine furniture beauty doesn't distract from the joy of sailing her hard and often ... but us letter mortals with slimmer purses draw the balance very differently.

Some day, I would love to take up your kind offer of a sail on Restive.  Not just for the pleasure of sailing such a fine craft in the company of someone who clearly knows how to drive her hard, but alos because I am pretty sure I would enjoy meeting you: you seem like an unusually thoughtful man.  However, it's unlikely to happen on your side of the Atlantic, because for the last 17 years your govt has subjected foreign visitors to a hazing process, which has been exacerbated under the current Dear Leader.  It was bad enough when I last got a US visa in the 1990s, and can't persuade myself that any trip is worth what can be at best a hassle, and at worst a nightmare.  So I hope you will follow through on your plans to sail Restive across to Ireland and/or Scotland.  Sligo Bay would be a great meetup place :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

My apologies, @Cruisin Loser. I think that my unexplained inclusion of the song may have made my post appear dismissive or hostile, which is not at all what I intended.   I was intending to describe my own gut response to the prospect of having such a boat, not to cast nasturtiums on your choice. Sorry if that came out wrong.

I do know that Restive is no dock queen.  You and her previous owner have both sailed her well, and I have enjoyed your accounts of her exploits, as well as your pictures of her underway.

My aesthetic tastes tend to be very utilitarian.   I don't like the finish of anything to detract from my freedom to enjoy using it for its intended purpose, so e.g. I own no polished furniture.  I promised myself as a young adult that I would own neither the sort of table which needs a coaster or placemats, nor a sofa I would not want my dog to sleep on, or curtains my cats couldn't climb on ... and I have stuck to that.  I love the cheap IKEA side tables made from particle board, because they are disposable: they cost less than a takeaway curry, and their fate never worries me.  That approaches frees me to enjoy my space and the company I have, rather than worrying about physical stuff.

When it comes to cars, I curse the over-designed abominations which every manufacturer supplies.  Why can't I buy something with a bare aluminium body where don't matter, with a wipedown interior, and with a floor made of cushioned rubber with a drainhole so I could wash it down.  What on earth is with carpets on car floors?  To me it seems utterly bonkers.

So when It comes to boats, the vessels I own nowadays are old fibreglass, which is already scratched and faded.  That way I don't worry at all about a few more stains and scratches.  My ideal aesthetic for a bigger boat would be the workboat style of a Boreal.

I can see how Restive works for you, cos she is clearly a very fine and special sailing boat (despite that pregnant whale's boom ::grin::), and you are in the lucky position of being able to pay to have her constantly fettled and repaired.   In those circumstances, I can see how the fine furniture beauty doesn't distract from the joy of sailing her hard and often ... but us letter mortals with slimmer purses draw the balance very differently.

Some day, I would love to take up your kind offer of a sail on Restive.  Not just for the pleasure of sailing such a fine craft in the company of someone who clearly knows how to drive her hard, but alos because I am pretty sure I would enjoy meeting you: you seem like an unusually thoughtful man.  However, it's unlikely to happen on your side of the Atlantic, because for the last 17 years your govt has subjected foreign visitors to a hazing process, which has been exacerbated under the current Dear Leader.  It was bad enough when I last got a US visa in the 1990s, and can't persuade myself that any trip is worth what can be at best a hassle, and at worst a nightmare.  So I hope you will follow through on your plans to sail Restive across to Ireland and/or Scotland.  Sligo Bay would be a great meetup place :)

Two,  good explanation, I  and I assume others didn't know where you were going there.  Good Reply. I wanted to comment on your attitude toward things..  I too detest having to handle things with kid gloves.  I used to laugh at friends that had to remove shoes when they came into their own house.  The immaculate boat that sits in fear of scratches at the slip humors me and the people that have SUV's that drive 1 mi/hr over speed bumps drive me nutz.  We recently got a Jeep and when my wife chastised me by saying u better keep this one clean i had to remind her of your philosophy of using things as designed.  I have always said that my dream is to get to the point where I can buy a Porsche Cayenne and beat the shit out of it like it was designed to do and not worry about fucking up anything.   

Cary on good sir and maybe rethink your opinion of our country..  This too shall pass and hopefully, we get the orange Yeti haired mushroom dick out of the damn white house sometime soon...:)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Max Rockatansky said:

Cars have carpets mainly for sound insulation FYI

True, but there are other ways of doing sound insulation, which are more suited to muddy feet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mid: http://erregatta.com/results.html

The results for the Herreshoff and Newport Panerai races are... somewhere. I know we got a little plate at the awards, something about a prize for best performance by a boat who didn't get a better prize, or something like that. I've gotten a similar prize in the Marion-Bermuda race a couple of times.  I got a major award in that one year, seemed out of character.

The BBQ at Eggemoggin Reach was not great, but I'm from Texas and picky

The Clam/Lobster bake at the Herreshoff event was excellent, and the wine was pretty good. I suffered the next day.

The dinner at IYRS after the Newport Panerai was surprisingly good, which was heartening because I later found out that the same caterers are doing my daughters wedding next summer. Whew!

Kris, I think it's a Luke, soapstone, as the PO had had 2 previous boats built at Luke, one an Aage Nielsen and one an Alden, and both had fireplaces. That locker is open because that's the wood and kindling locker, and we were grabbing wood from time to time. It's meant for wood, the grill behind is either AC or Espar outlet.

Yes there is a door and the whole thing closes up when not in use. There is a removable Charley Noble that goes on the cabin top, just pull of the cap and mount CN on the pipe.

It works extremely well with Jack Daniels on the rocks. Something about sipping whisky on a cold night in October in Maine. Toasts up the cabin nicely and drives out the cold and damp, we used it a lot a couple of years ago on a fall trip along Nova Scotia.

That pic was towards the end of last season, we were cruising in company, I was still on Sparky and we had rowed over to Restive for drinks and dinner. I think that was the night Restive sold herself to my wife.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Kris Cringle said:

Yes it is, 1961 Alden # 949-Y

very nice.  my family had one for a couple years when i was a teenager.  one of my favorite reminiscent sailing experiences was all 5 sails up (spin, spin staysail, main, mizzen, and mizzen staysail) with my dad, bro, and myself whooping it up on deck.  only had a crude speed log that went to 10 kts which we pegged many times that day, broad reaching in 18 to 25.  what a blast that was.  my mom was white knuckled hanging on below decks...

As we approached Annapolis at the end of the day on a busy weekend, boats were circling around us snapping pictures.  what a great classic boat.  didn't go upwind real well, but broad reach in the right stuff was awesome.  tracked like on rails.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Cruisin Loser said:

It works extremely well with Jack Daniels on the rocks. Something about sipping whisky on a cold night in October in Maine. Toasts up the cabin nicely and drives out the cold and damp, we used it a lot a couple of years ago on a fall trip along Nova Scotia.

It will also serve you very nicely when you come east and sail an Irish "summer" (at sixteen seconds in here)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, so technically not sailing but rather stuck in the mud waiting for high tide float me off.  

When the boat draws 5'-8", don't take her into water charted at 6'...

 

IMG_6741.jpg

IMG_6742.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IStream said:

Nice sail trim.

I would have eased the halyard on the genny for a little more power, but otherwise looks great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ishmael said:

I would have eased the halyard on the genny for a little more power, but otherwise looks great.

I presume that if power was an issue, a mainsail might have been involved

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

I just got some strange looks for laughing out loud in my office.... Thanks for that! 

 

I didn't click on this until your reaction. Hilarious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

That is gonna cost me a few minutes today - I have to see more! 

Mrs Browns Boys is v divisive in Ireland.  The critics almost unanimously say that it perpetuates hideous old stereotypes of Ireland, of the drunken feckless swearing Paddy playing for cheap laughs ... while huge audiences think its just very very good slapstick.

I'm in the second camp.  When I  first saw it, I genuinely laughed so hard that I hurt myself, which I haven't done for anything else in decades.  And even tho I'm usually one to side with the critics, I think the critics are badly wrong here: it's harmless fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two legged will confirm the unIrishness of this year’s summer, and we were blessed to have had nearly a month in a once in a century season. As someone said “it was like the Med without the wankers”. Here she is in Connemara (Greatman’s Bay) with the Pins in the background. The most extraordinary cruise. Even going slowly we passed as many places as we visited and are staying there for next season at least. 

ED4D76B7-119F-410A-80A5-8A1BBE7E0DCA.jpeg

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr. Ed said:

Two legged will confirm the unIrishness of this year’s summer, and we were blessed to have had nearly a month in a once in a century season. As someone said “it was like the Med without the wankers”. Here she is in Connemara (Greatman’s Bay) with the Pins in the background. The most extraordinary cruise. Even going slowly we passed as many places as we visited and are staying there for next season at least. 

ED4D76B7-119F-410A-80A5-8A1BBE7E0DCA.jpeg

You don't need a photographer, Ed. That's a great shot. I love the composition and light. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/18/2018 at 6:30 PM, shaggy said:

Cary on good sir and maybe rethink your opinion of our country..  This too shall pass and hopefully, we get the orange Yeti haired mushroom dick out of the damn white house sometime soon...:)

Carry on Dear Lady is more like it. 

I imagine it can’t be so tough to get a visa to the US for a visit, drug mules( carriers) from Europe get in all the time!

The Keeney side of the family is from Sligo

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/17/2018 at 3:53 PM, Cruisin Loser said:

 

Tied up in Baddeck, NS

Bloody good deck to have in Baddeck... 

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1531953119_bettyandpetesmall.thumb.jpg.6636d272f26b1df770dc773ad840ab90.jpg

Here's another Connemara landscape with yott and tender. On Ilauneeragh, just down from Kilkieran. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

And the same view with guests. They came all the way from Singapore, and spent a fortune on thermals and waterproofs, to be meet with a near-tropical summer.

pete and betty and the others small .jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Mr. Ed said:

Two legged will confirm the unIrishness of this year’s summer, and we were blessed to have had nearly a month in a once in a century season.

Rare indeed ... but not quite once in a century, Ed.

My family spent most of the summer of '76 in West Cork, sailing Carbery's Hundred Isles.  Endless sun, constant gentle breezes. Pure heaven for a teenager in the first season on their own Mirror dinghy.

We got our payback in '79.  In six weeks of "summer", there were no afternoons or evenings without rain, and only one dry morning.  OTOH, plenty of wind, so lots of blood-and-thunder sailing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beautiful photos, Mr. Ed. Thanks for sharing them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/17/2018 at 10:53 AM, Cruisin Loser said:

Restive-8895.jpg.c59c28f83813e16ccbc78b30e60e0228.jpg

Tied up in Baddeck, NS

I’ve always loved that image!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

Rare indeed ... but not quite once in a century, Ed.

My family spent most of the summer of '76 in West Cork, sailing Carbery's Hundred Isles.  Endless sun, constant gentle breezes. Pure heaven for a teenager in the first season on their own Mirror dinghy.

We got our payback in '79.  In six weeks of "summer", there were no afternoons or evenings without rain, and only one dry morning.  OTOH, plenty of wind, so lots of blood-and-thunder sailing

I remember 76 - finishing off school. Horrible it was. The century comment was based on people saying it was better than 76 . . . A summer of love anyway

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Mr. Ed said:

I remember 76 - finishing off school. Horrible it was. The century comment was based on people saying it was better than 76 . . . A summer of love anyway

I felt so sorry that year for English kids, locked up in school until mid-July while we got our usual parole at the end of May so we could enjoy the summer.  The English summer term still seems barbaric

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/15/2018 at 6:52 AM, Sail4beer said:

I’m saying he nailed that one dead on!

Yeah, I really liked that and thought I'd give it a go.

The-Pool-sm.thumb.jpg.a77353cc12e2a475c23c4289f9e25564.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just enjoying this thread and all the lovely photos submitted. Hope my efforts to apply a painterly effect to the better photos doesn't offend. 

Restive.thumb.jpg.0e1552b5d06498962dbbb2994f543b03.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

Just enjoying this thread and all the lovely photos submitted. Hope my efforts to apply a painterly effect to the better photos doesn't offend. 

Restive.thumb.jpg.0e1552b5d06498962dbbb2994f543b03.jpg

It seems like a harmless crime and the focus on the dorado vent is appropriate 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

Just enjoying this thread and all the lovely photos submitted. Hope my efforts to apply a painterly effect to the better photos doesn't offend. 

Restive.thumb.jpg.0e1552b5d06498962dbbb2994f543b03.jpg

I really meant to say that it looks incr:)edible!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rasputin22 said:

Just enjoying this thread and all the lovely photos submitted. Hope my efforts to apply a painterly effect to the better photos doesn't offend. 

Restive.thumb.jpg.0e1552b5d06498962dbbb2994f543b03.jpg

Why you have to van gogh and do that? ;) 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites