IStream

Show your boat not sailing

17 hours ago, olsurfer said:

hum.jpg

That certainly looks like an old surfer's boat. Cool as anything

10 hours ago, Tanton Y_M said:

Saw her yesterday at Pirate's Cove Marina. You sure take good care of her.

Thank you. She seems to practically take care of herself. High quality stainless helps a lot.

16 hours ago, Bull City said:

It's a show where the gallery, or whoever is organizing it, invites submissions and chooses a juror who decides which submissions will be shown, and then selects works for prizes. Usually the juror is some sort of recognized expert.

Thanks!  I always like it when I get to learn something! 

This pic of mine already feels 'painterly'

IMG_2822.jpg

• Like 1

21 hours ago, olsurfer said:

hum.jpg

I had a bad case of the "I wants" when she was for sale a few years ago.   Could not make the stars align at that point.

Beautiful.

- Stumbling

Slight  thread drift - 'show-the-old-man ( or woman) and-the-sea'. Here is my father, ripping it up at 80. He drove grinning for hours. Couldn't pry him off the helm. 

IMG_2331.jpg

• Like 8

I enjoy the morphing of this thread into impromptu art show (excellent work btw)...I too paint. Though I was more enthusiastic about it in years past. I go through spurts. the last time was a study of realistic oil painting techniques...(was mostly abstract back in the day...studied art throughout my academic era)

YES I KNOW! These are NOT pictures of sailboats NOT sailing...(but I have done some maritime works...so there is that)

Both of these are oil on MDF board. (Old phone pictures). Last bout of painting I had I did quite a few still life, a few portraits...and as mentioned some maritime themes.

The still life paintings were the strongest...I was inspired by several Flemish still life paintings in the Milwaukee Art Museum collection...

830114409_Screenshotfrom2018-10-0512-26-55.png.99301e8c6873f5198d906b4be5c8ac59.png

These were executed with under painting with glazing of multiple thin layers. Tedious technique... if you use a cobalt drying agent to hasten the speed of the glaze drying enough to work over you run the risk of cracking the film years layer later so I didn't use it....I haven't finished the the Coke crate trompe l'oeil. I ran into issue with the rags and sponges on the right rendering them accurately was beyond my skill level. I can do fruit,  glass, stone and metals,  but those sponges and folded rag...ugh...I wiped the last attempt off down to the under painting on the panel to the right.... left it for the next painting spurt, it has been over ten years now.  One of my art teacher years ago had us draw sponges..."These will really force you to see." he use to say.

I know I'll take up painting again. I don't know when though...

1647934465_Screenshotfrom2018-10-0512-27-19.png.2961b35ddac349c940548893554346a2.png

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Cwinsor said:

Slight  thread drift - 'show-the-old-man ( or woman) and-the-sea'. Here is my father, ripping it up at 80. He drove grinning for hours. Couldn't pry him off the helm. 

IMG_2331.jpg

You don’t stop sailing when you get old: you get old when you stop sailing. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Cwinsor said:

IMG_2331.jpg

We all need to aspire to this.  Fan fricking tasting!!!!

1968 S&S Classic 37.  Almost that time to park her for a few months and get going on the list I've come up with since splashing earlier in the year. 

IMAG1623.jpg

• Like 4

OK, in post #10 I showed my sailboat not sailing. Here is my powerboat not sailing. Anchored in Melanie Cove last night. This morning not a cloud in the sky and we remain the only boat in all of Melanie Cove or Prideaux Haven. In August you can walk from shore to shore in here and never touch the water. 

FhkgFHI.jpg

• Like 4

Motoring up the Petaluma river and at Pier 1 1/2 in downtown SF. For those in the area, the Petaluma river trip is a good one, but more of a motor than a sail.

image.png.55383c89cc1913a4bd4d729194fd912c.png

image.png.4912a99b060e89532570069d719067bc.png

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, DDW said:

OK, in post #10 I showed my sailboat not sailing. Here is my powerboat not sailing. Anchored in Melanie Cove last night. This morning not a cloud in the sky and we remain the only boat in all of Melanie Cove or Prideaux Haven. In August you can walk from shore to shore in here and never touch the water. 

FhkgFHI.jpg

I presume it's earth, wind, fire, water, and diesel.

The fifth element is Milla in an ideal world, diesel in this one. Though I really like the movie, the inspiration was the Aristotelian fifth element, which makes up that which could not be made from earth, wind, fire, and water. I guess that would include diesel. And Milla ("Multipass"). This thing burns about 1.9 gallons/hr at 7.1 knots. But it carries so much, I may have to stop for fuel towards the end of next year....

We moved to the other end of Prideaux Haven after taking a tour of Laura Cove. We are still the only boat in the whole complex.

1 hour ago, DDW said:

This thing burns about 1.9 gallons/hr at 7.1 knots

In Ireland, the average diesel price is currently  €1.40/litre, which is about US$5.30/USgal.

How much do you pay for your fuel?

I paid nothing for this fuel, which came with the boat. Or perhaps I paid a lot for fuel and got a boat with it. 

It varies a great deal in the US depending on the state, and is much higher typically in Canada. The diesel that came in the boat was purchased in Tennessee (a cheap state) at $2.87/gal last year when prices were higher. Current prices in Washington state are $2.90/gal for over 100 gallons. Near twice that in Canada I think, but I never buy fuel there!

At $2.90/gallon, my fill up will only cost $1160. In a few years I will need sails for the sailboat, probably about 25X that. 

On 10/3/2018 at 4:09 PM, Kris Cringle said:

'Not sailing' last weekend. Light to 0 winds overnight, the whole Fox Island Thoroughfare was a millpond. This was 5:30 am. The sun rising over Deer Isle on the far, eastern horizon. Didn't even feel a boat wake the whole time, because we didn't see another boat pass through. 

september-sunrise-_-jpg.157034

Cool late September morning, I kindled the first fire of the season.

fireplace-lamp_-jpg.157035

Still not sailing as the sun began to dry the decks. 

september-morning_-jpg.157036

Finally, just enough wind to sail slowly, home. 

september-morning-mizzen-wake-jpg.157038 

Is it OK to envy and "Like" at the same time?

On 10/5/2018 at 1:05 PM, Cwinsor said:

This pic of mine already feels 'painterly'

IMG_2822.jpg

Beautiful grays. And you're not sailing!

Maybe DQ'd on a technicality. The engine's running but that sail wants to pull.

On 10/4/2018 at 12:10 PM, Maxx Baqustae said:

Me too.

004 (1280x1030).jpg

We just can't get away from the bullrails... Very nice painting, by the way.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kdh said:

Cuttyhunk Pond this past weekend.

ZyEUrwR.jpg

Sheer perfection.

Thanks, Sloop. I keep looking at the mildew in the seams on the main and the Lifesling retrieval line hanging off the transom.

9 minutes ago, kdh said:

Thanks, Sloop. I keep looking at the mildew in the seams on the main and the Lifesling retrieval line hanging off the transom.

First world problems, just a wee bit? :) 

It's kind of like golf - the pursuit of an unattainable perfection.

I'd say Keith achieved it - can't speak to his golfing.

7 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

It's kind of like golf - the pursuit of an unattainable perfection.

I struggle to accommodate the concept of perfection in the context or golfing clothes.  The trousers alone are a war crime

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

I believe the photo was taken from the deck of my old boat. Her new owners are lovely people.

Here is mine below, not sailing, at the end of a 30 hour overnight trip to the yard in Brooklin, finishing by dodging lobster pots in cold fog and rain, after only enough time to start a fire and pour rum, cleaning the cabin could wait. That's the wood and paper locker to open to starboard.

IMG_0436.jpg

• Like 3

WILDFLOWER at repose in perennial favorite, Pirates Cove, De Courcy Island, BC.  Shortly before entering the narrow dogleg channel into the granite walled millpond, a summer squall with northwesterly gale force gusts had emptied the anchorage.  There was still an umbrella or two in the trees....

IMGP1093.JPG

• Like 6

1 hour ago, TwoLegged said:

Absolutely, but as far as I can tell I live in the first world.  :)

Your old boat's looking great, Rob. New owners are taking great care of her.

1 hour ago, sleddog said:

WILDFLOWER at repose in perennial favorite, Pirates Cove, De Courcy Island, BC.  Shortly before entering the narrow dogleg channel into the granite walled millpond, a summer squall with northwesterly gale force gusts had emptied the anchorage.  There was still an umbrella or two in the trees....

IMGP1093.JPG

Pirates Cove has long been my favourite anchorage. How did any sort of wind get in there? I've never felt a breath of wind there in all the times I've been there - it's always been like your pic. I figured it was a classic hurricane hole.

10 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Pirates Cove has long been my favourite anchorage. How did any sort of wind get in there? I've never felt a breath of wind there in all the times I've been there - it's always been like your pic. I figured it was a classic hurricane hole.

The last time we were there it started howling from the NW, the whole line of stern-tied boats on the W shore was sagging badly and anchors were dragging. At least one boat in the basin dragged onto the rocks, guy in his tighty whities in the water pushing it off and the driver in bra and panties. We were in the middle of the W row and suddenly had to also deal with the sudden deflation of one side of our dinghy and had to get it on deck in the middle of the mayhem. Of course, this is as it is getting dark so it was Very Exciting.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

The last time we were there it started howling from the NW, the whole line of stern-tied boats on the W shore was sagging badly and anchors were dragging. At least one boat in the basin dragged onto the rocks, guy in his tighty whities in the water pushing it off and the driver in bra and panties. We were in the middle of the W row and suddenly had to also deal with the sudden deflation of one side of our dinghy and had to get it on deck in the middle of the mayhem. Of course, this is as it is getting dark so it was Very Exciting.

Lmao... you never fail to entertain. 

Out for the winter.  Hard to put the toys away when the weather is still so fine, but the lift was available and the cost couldn't be beat. It's only been... SIX? years.

IMG_2106.jpg.8d2417990135046b1fff7e0cac7a4ad1.jpg

And this kind of not sailing is just around the corner...

IMG_1694.jpg.d24cd681c1e2dd0e51e162bcf457677c.jpg

On 10/5/2018 at 2:03 PM, Cwinsor said:

IMG_2331.jpg

So taken by this I had to throw in my own pic of sailing with Mom and two younger brothers circa 1994 or so. The only time we ever sailed with her, although she says she sailed a lot in her youth.

72680007_zpscqvcla0w.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, toddster said:

Out for the winter.  Hard to put the toys away when the weather is still so fine, but the lift was available and the cost couldn't be beat. It's only been... SIX? years.

IMG_2106.jpg.8d2417990135046b1fff7e0cac7a4ad1.jpg

And this kind of not sailing is just around the corner...

IMG_1694.jpg.d24cd681c1e2dd0e51e162bcf457677c.jpg

I sailed on an E35 back in the mid '70s named Arcturus. It is still berthed in Homer, AK.

This is about "not sailing" but still a little off-topic.

My marina is on an inland lake in North Carolina. The lake is managed by the US Army COE. We have floating docks. Between Florence and Michael, the watershed has had quite a bit of rain. The lake level is usually 295' to 300' above sea level. This morning it is at 313' and still rising. 

As a result, part of the road to the dock is flooded, and getting to the dock requires a swim or paddle.

577296583_scm2018_10.thumb.jpg.26e6a0b8f27fa4a541bab06f4cb65345.jpg

Me on my last boat, a J24

2043554900_Meonmylastboat(J24).thumb.jpg.9a40a20a67fad9cf2b499a269dd1a430.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cruiser2B said:

20181014_161708.jpg

20180720_104635.jpg

That's one hell of a sprit!

In the first photo it seems like the sheer line takes a slight dip amidships before heading upwards towards the bow. Is that just camera distortion/optical illusion? 

I think that is what Bob calls a non-planar sheer.

Definitely. I'm just trying to determine if it's a second- or third-order polynomial.

Don't worry about it - just harden up the snotter and it'll be good.

Hello! I need your help and advice. I and my husband like going by yacht and we decided to buy our own. So we'd already started looking for good quality and luxury yacht and found Princess, but few days ago I read this article https://princess55fly.blogspot.com/p/home.html and now a don’t know what to do. What do you think about it ? Please help me

End of season encountered!  Haul-out is scheduled for this Saturday.,

DSC_1187.JPG

• Like 1

I move that we ignore "Lilia." Is there a second?

• Like 6

57 minutes ago, Bull City said:

Seconded.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lilia said:

Hello! I need your help and advice. I and my husband like going by yacht and we decided to buy our own. So we'd already started looking for good quality and luxury yacht and found Princess, but few days ago I read this article https://princess55fly.suckmyballsyounigerianbot.com/p/home.html and now a don’t know what to do. What do you think about it ? Please help me

there is only one correct response at SA.

SHOW US YOUR TITS!

On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 6:04 PM, JMOD said:

angelita is a lovely double ender! she always looks great in pictures

Hmmm, a fine looking Yacht.

I grew up racing Vision, KC3, a 1930 Camper and Nicholson 8M. I have a soft spot for 1930 8M.

Ambitious putting the rig up on that thing with a Gin pole.

583994017_KISSSunset.thumb.jpg.d24e53cd09a1245c82da3e167316c3c8.jpg

Last Friday evening, sunset picture of the race boat from the aft deck of my powerboat, just before our last weekend of one deign racing for the year.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Black Sox said:
6 hours ago, Bull City said:

Seconded.

Supported.

"Lilla" calls a stinkpot a "yacht".  Even if "Lilla" is neither troll nor spammer, there are other places for such perversions.

(Yes, there are at least two highly esteemed people on CA who own stinkpots.  Neither of them calls their stinkpot a "yacht")

Maybe the unfortunately ethnocentric line in her link is a clue; “suckmyballsyounigerianbot”

10 hours ago, blunted said:

Hmmm, a fine looking Yacht.

I grew up racing Vision, KC3, a 1930 Camper and Nicholson 8M. I have a soft spot for 1930 8M.

Ambitious putting the rig up on that thing with a Gin pole.

Nice, I sail on 1930 Fife, (K20). in the picture we're battling with our nemesis, Carron II, another fife from 1935.

7bec25c1-1d8c-457e-b7ff-366cac35b2fb.jpg

• Like 3

10 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

Supported.

"Lilla" calls a stinkpot a "yacht".  Even if "Lilla" is neither troll nor spammer, there are other places for such perversions.

(Yes, there are at least two highly esteemed people on CA who own stinkpots.  Neither of them calls their stinkpot a "yacht")

To be fair, this is the Not Sailing thread. However, she didn't "show her boat" so the motion is carried.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JMOD said:

Nice, I sail on 1930 Fife, (K20). in the picture we're battling with our nemesis, Carron II, another fife from 1935.

7bec25c1-1d8c-457e-b7ff-366cac35b2fb.jpg

Hey! Can't you read? This is the Not Sailing thread. Get that beautiful sailing picture out of here. 

10 hours ago, Mr. Ed said:

Maybe the unfortunately ethnocentric line in her link is a clue; “suckmyballsyounigerianbot”

That was me who edited the link, I didn't want to give them any free traffic. Look at the original post if you really want to see what the link was.

In the spirit of boats not sailing....

Crumpet-Pano-01.thumb.jpg.5f1040565b23b94f35b1aa272c6e7b92.jpg

Main Duck Island in the middle of Lake Ontario. we managed to get the whole island to ourselves for the evening this past summer. Very quiet

17 minutes ago, blunted said:

That was me who edited the link, I didn't want to give them any free traffic. Look at the original post if you really want to see what the link was.

whoops, that was dense of me. That guy has trolled here before - he started a thread I think, but it didn't go anywhere. People who buy Princesses and their ilk probably deserve what they get.

9 hours ago, blunted said:

In the spirit of boats not sailing....

Crumpet-Pano-01.thumb.jpg.5f1040565b23b94f35b1aa272c6e7b92.jpg

Main Duck Island in the middle of Lake Ontario. we managed to get the whole island to ourselves for the evening this past summer. Very quiet

See you there next summer Blunted ☺

Not sailing you say???

bull rail tender.jpg

• Like 2

On 10/6/2018 at 4:11 PM, TwoLegged said:

In Ireland, the average diesel price is currently  €1.40/litre, which is about US$5.30/USgal.

How much do you pay for your fuel?

Diesel is between$2.70 and $3.50 /gallon in one town here in NJ

45 minutes ago, Norse Horse said:

Not sailing you say???

bull rail tender.jpg

So that's an ice-fishing boat. Very spiffy indeed!

12 minutes ago, Bull City said:

So that's an ice-fishing boat. Very spiffy indeed!

Ice fishing? That's how they deliver mail in Alberta...:D

Sails but not sailing. I don't know how many miles of rowing from the Lawyer Islands, through Prince Rupert shipping lanes then finally an inflow at 930pm by the ferry dock and into Cow Bay.

Team Squamish 2016 Rupert traffic.JPG

52 minutes ago, Jim in Halifax said:

Both pictures of my boat not sailing, one anchored, one not.

aground.jpg

Calypso in Tanner's Pass.jpg

Was that careening intentional?

43 minutes ago, Ajax said:

Was that careening intentional?

No, it was compliments of a late-season tropical storm (Noel). Fortunately she found the few square feet of sand immediately in front of those rocks. A couple of high tides and some serious kedging and she was afloat again with little damage, except to my pride. The second picture was a couple of years later, anchored in a completely perfect little pool with a narrow entrance about 300 yards long and barely wider than the boat.

Entering Tanners Pass.jpg

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Jim in Halifax said:

No, it was compliments of a late-season tropical storm (Noel). Fortunately she found the few square feet of sand immediately in front of those rocks. A couple of high tides and some serious kedging and she was afloat again with little damage, except to my pride. The second picture was a couple of years later, anchored in a completely perfect little pool with a narrow entrance about 300 yards long and barely wider than the boat.

Glad to hear that the grounding had a happy ending.  I didn't want to just assume that something went wrong, having seen plenty of photos of people who careen their boats for maintenance and such.

2 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

Diesel is between$2.70 and $3.50 /gallon in one town here in NJ

Half the Irish price :(

19 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

Half the Irish price :(

We're paying $1.55 CAD for a litre of diesel here in Upper Western North America, if that makes you feel any better. Call it .67 euros. 

14 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

We're paying $1.55 CAD for a litre of diesel here in Upper Western North America, if that makes you feel any better. Call it .67 euros. 

Its CAD $ 1.34 a litre here in Upper Eastern North America - you guys in Lotus Land should build a pipeline to somewhere that's got lots...

We have multiple refineries in very close proximity here.

The oil companies just like to fuck over Vancouver - we have the highest gas price in North America.

Their lies to "justify" it can be very entertaining - a train derails in Minnesota so the price of gas goes up here. A refinery in Louisiana has a fire so the price of gas goes up here.

Oil people lie worse than tobacco flaks - or Trump for that matter.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Sorry to interrupt the discussion of petrol prices.... Today there was a gale warning out on the bay for the afternoon so after work I went out to test out some new rigging refinements on my staysail. After, when I had just put the boat back on the mooring, I snapped a few photos of the sky (there was an unusual purple color in one direction and silhouetted clouds in the other). Technically, this photo below shows my boat not sailing.....

GaleWarningSunset.jpeg

• Like 1

Beautiful. What kind of camera/phone were you using?

46 minutes ago, IStream said:

Beautiful. What kind of camera/phone were you using?

Just an iPhone 5se.

Two more views--- one with another boat not sailing (not mine, but on the mooring next to me...)

GaleWarningSunset3.jpg

GaleWarningSunset2.jpg

23 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

Not sailing you say???

bull rail tender.jpg

I really want to see the local version of a redneck take one of those, go round in circles over the same track, cut a huge hole in the ice, and  just disappear.

1 hour ago, Black Sox said:

I really want to see the local version of a redneck take one of those, go round in circles over the same track, cut a huge hole in the ice, and  just disappear.

It should say "ACME" on the side.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Black Sox said:

Might need a long shaft version for that.

Now a V8 powered inboard version would be redneck...

2 hours ago, Black Sox said:

Disappear?  Looks to me like it would float

Not with cases of beer piled higher than the gunwales.

Also, the whole ice disk would slowly flip upside down and gently push the boat under as it settles back perfectly in place like nothing had happened.

Here's what they use along the eastern shores of Georgian Bay during winter and shoulder season. Works great on snow ice and water. There are tons of cottages on tiny islands along the shore where some people want 365 access.