IStream

Show your boat not sailing

On 10/17/2018 at 1:25 PM, SloopJonB said:

Oil people lie worse than tobacco flaks - or Trump for that matter.

I sincerely try to maintain a positive opinion of everyone, not just here but all of those in my life. It would aid me in this endeavor if you could keep opinions such as this, which I cannot help but take personally, in PA where I will not see them.  

• Like 3
  • Downvote 1

I just bought this 1965 Columbia 65 CB31.   Cant post pictures of it sailing yet because I haven't sailed it yet.  It had been sort of abandoned for 5 years and I will spend the winter bringing the teak back to life... everything else seems good to go minus the batteries. It took me 7 hours to get that 5 year old tape off of the waterline. grrrr

CWhXNoFbTVGxrgDHj6j%BQ.jpg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, nebe said:

I just bought this 1965 Columbia 65 CB31.   Cant post pictures of it sailing yet because I haven't sailed it yet.  It had been sort of abandoned for 5 years and I will spend the winter bringing the teak back to life... everything else seems good to go minus the batteries. It took me 7 hours to get that 5 year old tape off of the waterline. grrrr

Another Good Old Boat picked up for an adventure. :)

Now I know that manufacturers changed things up during production runs but this boat has 2 large cabin windows the the drawings I'm seeing, show only one large window.  Your boat is pre-HIN, so we can't check its pedigree that way.

Is it possible that you have a Columbia 29?

Here's the 31:  https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/columbia-31

Here's the 29:  https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/columbia-29 

Read the notes at the bottom about the '29 getting a more streamlined coach roof in '65.

Nice boat in any case. You can put some decent solar power on that arch.

32 minutes ago, nebe said:

Nice boat! Too late to help you, but most baked-on masking tapes will reactivate if you warm them with a hair dryer or heat gun on low. Might leave some residue (which mineral spirits/WD-40 will remove in two shakes), but at least the crepe pulls off in a reasonable number of pieces.

18 minutes ago, Diarmuid said:

Nice boat! Too late to help you, but most baked-on masking tapes will reactivate if you warm them with a hair dryer or heat gun on low. Might leave some residue (which mineral spirits/WD-40 will remove in two shakes), but at least the crepe pulls off in a reasonable number of pieces.

that is exactly what I did.. but IT TOOK 7  HOURS. ugggggg........

36 minutes ago, Ajax said:

Another Good Old Boat picked up for an adventure. :)

Now I know that manufacturers changed things up during production runs but this boat has 2 large cabin windows the the drawings I'm seeing, show only one large window.  Your boat is pre-HIN, so we can't check its pedigree that way.

Is it possible that you have a Columbia 29?

Here's the 31:  https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/columbia-31

Here's the 29:  https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/columbia-29 

Read the notes at the bottom about the '29 getting a more streamlined coach roof in '65.

Nice boat in any case. You can put some decent solar power on that arch.

about 20 years ago my friends restored this boat down to the bare hull and heavily modified it, then cruised the keys, the Bahamas and all the way to Maine and in-between for 10 years until they sold it. They are super excited that a friend found her and will bring her back to life.  The coach roof port lights were modified to what you see now. Im considering ditching the teak trim and having some polished stainless ones fabricated and will replace the lexan.   Its a Columbia 31 hull number 5.    The solar is there... the panels were stored inside thankfully.   

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cruisin Loser said:

I sincerely try to maintain a positive opinion of everyone, not just here but all of those in my life. It would aid me in this endeavor if you could keep opinions such as this, which I cannot help but take personally, in PA where I will not see them.  

I was talking about the big gas company flaks - Chevron, Esso etc.

They lie like Trump - every gas station in Greater Vancouver changes their prices the exact same amount at the exact same time - every time.

But there's no collusion.

That sort of thing.

• Like 1

On October 17, 2018 at 10:36 AM, Jim in Halifax said:

No, it was compliments of a late-season tropical storm (Noel). Fortunately she found the few square feet of sand immediately in front of those rocks. A couple of high tides and some serious kedging and she was afloat again with little damage, except to my pride. The second picture was a couple of years later, anchored in a completely perfect little pool with a narrow entrance about 300 yards long and barely wider than the boat.

Entering Tanners Pass.jpg

Looks like you could roost in there. 

You seem like a charming rogue. We should try to meet up sometime.

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

... every gas station in Greater Vancouver changes their prices the exact same amount at the exact same time - every time.

But there's no collusion.

Its the same 'price fixing' in Halifax but that is because the Nova Scotia government regulates the maximum price weekly. And I am glad they do. Our prices are generally lower than yours. I suspect that your paranoia about high prices from collusion by big oil is in fact caused by the all the hate generated by tree-huggers who drive their cars to anti-pipeline rallies and want to prohibit fossil fuels without being prepared to revert to their great-grandparents' lifestyle. But maybe I'm wrong.

• Like 1

I built this Shellback in 1998 in CA hoping it would someday become the tender to something. This is Harpswell, ME about 2003.

enhance

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Cruisin Loser said:

Looks like you could roost in there. 

You seem like a charming rogue. We should try to meet up sometime.

Well, Rogue's Roost is about 20 miles from the hidey-hole I was pictured in...why not meet there? PM me the next time you are headed up to Nova Scotia and we'll make it happen. I'll bring the rum...

Rogues_Roost_WA.jpg

• Like 5
  • Downvote 1

I'm enjoying a strange feeling, writing up the log and editing phots from the summer, while at anchor on a slightly drek day.

I just found this one, a celebration of summer's long Golden Hours

greatmans bay 2.jpg

• Like 6

On 10/19/2018 at 10:49 AM, nebe said:

Who's ready for a winter restoration thread besides me?? 

On 10/18/2018 at 7:57 AM, Black Sox said:

I really want to see the local version of a redneck take one of those, go round in circles over the same track, cut a huge hole in the ice, and  just disappear.

Here is the Redneck version of that boat

Image result for mud boat

9 minutes ago, Bull City said:

Who's ready for a winter restoration thread besides me?? 

Not me - I'm too busy restoring my boat.

Literally waiting for paint to dry right now.

Steel yacht "Zora" and currently my home/work in progress

0WlOxFV.jpg

c9zvqcb.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/user/rhyswalters1

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

8909005_Waterlogue-Copy(3).thumb.jpg.a9376605e865c73630abf0d6bbda5dfd.jpg

Ra Ra Rasputin! That 's gorgeous. I'm nicking that one straight off . . .

Many thanks

E

You ain't seen nothing yet Ed.

1345282955_Waterlogue-Copy(2).thumb.jpg.157e1c64efdacdf65932005167d458da.jpg

Foxy Callwood sucking down a Red Stripe a Carriacou Race Week. I'm thinking of doing some prints on some beautiful heavy watercolor paper that I bought years ago at a railroad salvage place. My Epson Artisan 1430 printer should do a great job with these color and wil print at up to 19" x 13". I know, buy a ad!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mr. Ed said:

Top cetacean action there. Brilliant - btw there's another thread called Show your Boat Sailing. I think you're sailing!

He's Irish, you gotta make allowances. ;)

39 minutes ago, Mr. Ed said:

Ra Ra Rasputin! That 's gorgeous. I'm nicking that one straight off . . .

Many thanks

E

Ed,

Your unabashed praise led me to further tinkering with that watercolorish image this time in Photoshop which has more tools a tweaks available and I cropped it some to center the boat in the image better. What do you think?

Sunset-Ketch-Crop.thumb.jpg.05b2b62be3d7da708164bd2437d4b513.jpg

There was a fender hanging on the aft port quarter that bothered me so I took that out too.

I see now that I could level the horizon a bit. I've gotten a bit rusty in PS since I used to do this sort of thing for a living. 

Lovely. I regret that it’s only an ipony photo, for I can’t properly make out Mrs Ed hiding behind that towel. 

Thanks

20 hours ago, Jim in Halifax said:

Well, Rogue's Roost is about 20 miles from the hidey-hole I was pictured in...why not meet there? PM me the next time you are headed up to Nova Scotia and we'll make it happen. I'll bring the rum...

Rogues_Roost_WA.jpg

When I visited the Roost it was, sadly, a holiday weekend. Crowded, noisy, disappointing. In August I tried to get a 67' motorboat up the St. Mary's River to Sherbrooke. Didn't quite make it, but had an adventure. 

1 hour ago, Rasputin22 said:

Ed,

Your unabashed praise led me to further tinkering with that watercolorish image this time in Photoshop which has more tools a tweaks available and I cropped it some to center the boat in the image better. What do you think?

Sunset-Ketch-Crop.thumb.jpg.05b2b62be3d7da708164bd2437d4b513.jpg

There was a fender hanging on the aft port quarter that bothered me so I took that out too.

I see now that I could level the horizon a bit. I've gotten a bit rusty in PS since I used to do this sort of thing for a living. 

I like that one better but it's maybe just a tad too photorealistic.

Mine, most assuredly not sailing. Fan and BBQ now removed. More extraneous junk still to be chopped. Are those MOB markers worth keeping? would love to lose it. Anyway, once I take up full-time SH the question answers itself.

ReefScarer.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Mr. Ed. She's fifty years old this year. Will look into alternative MOB markers, and grind off the annoying horseshoe holders (You probably can't see them in that lo-res photo). Lifesling looks like a better plan. Pelagic AP installation underway.

2 hours ago, Mr. Ed said:

Top cetacean action there. Brilliant - btw there's another thread called Show your Boat Sailing. I think you're sailing!

Ah shit... My bad! I always was a bit thick. 

fGf0Wor.jpg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mr. Ed said:

Is that the Ilen ahead of you on the dock? 

Yep. A beautiful ship. I've since left that yard and so has she, as far as I know she is currently in Limerick.  

We did our easter fit out at Donovan's, just next to Hegartys. What a great place - not many yards have their own castle!

hegartys1.jpg

hegartys5 copy.jpg

hegartys 2.jpg

hegartys6 copy.jpg

hegartys7.jpg

4 minutes ago, Mr. Ed said:

We did our easter fit out at Donovan's, just next to Hegartys. What a great place - not many yards have their own castle!

hegartys1.jpg

hegartys5 copy.jpg

hegartys 2.jpg

Nice one! What boat is she? I bought the steel boat that was sitting in Hegartys for a number of years, just in front of Síle a Do in the second photo. My boat was burnt in 1998 and hadn't left Baltimore since, last month was her first sail since then. 

Hegarty's couldn't take us - he had a fishing boat on his slipway, so Donal Donovan looked after us very well. How wonderful to know that some boats do get out of Hegartys alive! It has the demeanour of a boat's graveyard somewhat - a lot of broken dreams there. 

26 minutes ago, Mr. Ed said:

Hegarty's couldn't take us - he had a fishing boat on his slipway, so Donal Donovan looked after us very well. How wonderful to know that some boats do get out of Hegartys alive! It has the demeanour of a boat's graveyard somewhat - a lot of broken dreams there. 

Alot of dreams being fulfilled too :) the Ilen was rebuilt there, Saoirse is getting her ribs now. The Síle a do was built in the shed next to me too. It does look messy but there are some real treasures in there too, and some incredible Craftsmen to boot! The place to be for wooden boaters! 

On 10/19/2018 at 4:43 PM, Jim in Halifax said:

Its the same 'price fixing' in Halifax but that is because the Nova Scotia government regulates the maximum price weekly. And I am glad they do. Our prices are generally lower than yours. I suspect that your paranoia about high prices from collusion by big oil is in fact caused by the all the hate generated by tree-huggers who drive their cars to anti-pipeline rallies and want to prohibit fossil fuels without being prepared to revert to their great-grandparents' lifestyle. But maybe I'm wrong.

Nope, big oil has been playing this game long before the Kinder Morgan expansion came along.

You can call us three huggers all you want....Kinder Morgan is right in my back yard, and across the inlets from my local waterfront park.  I am ok with it as it stands. I can live with the level of tanker traffic we have now...but I dont want to see that traffic quadrupled. We treasure our natural environment, and it is a huge part of our economy. Alberta wants us to put all of that at risk so that they can make more money selling their dirty low grade oil to China. There is very little in it for us, but a spill will devastate our economy, and ruin my local area for generations.

Kinder Morgan has a huge area of water boomed off with barbed wire fences on it where the expansion is taking place, and they send boats out to harass sailors that they think are getting too close to it...that goes over well too!

And yes, I like all our trees too!

4 hours ago, Mr. Ed said:

We drove past Hegartys a couple of times this July, I was tempted to stop but we had already exhausted our amazement quota for the day.

Baltimore is beautiful, we walked out to the eastern headland and the stone marker tower, wow!

97D5C430-8780-4DA8-8EF4-DA6417E6AE46.jpeg

9EB104D8-1B90-4E1D-BAB7-A2269F08896B.jpeg

3 minutes ago, olaf hart said:

Baltimore is beautiful, we walked out to the eastern headland and the stone marker tower, wow!

Yes, Baltimore is stunningly beautiful. 

But don't let the beauty lure you into dropping your guard: you have to watch out for Algerians.

24 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

Yes, Baltimore is stunningly beautiful. 

But don't let the beauty lure you into dropping your guard: you have to watch out for Algerians.

At least they didn’t come from Sawdi Arabia....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, olaf hart said:

At least they didn’t come from Sawdi Arabia....

I'll have to bone up on that area.

7 hours ago, olaf hart said:

We drove past Hegartys a couple of times this July, I was tempted to stop but we had already exhausted our amazement quota for the day.

97D5C430-8780-4DA8-8EF4-DA6417E6AE46.jpeg

9EB104D8-1B90-4E1D-BAB7-A2269F08896B.jpeg

The Beacon is a beautiful place. I have photos of her sailing past the Beacon on her maiden voyage as well, a dream backdrop and place to live.. 

A work in progress.....sailing now!  Not much early 80's IOR influence to this hull shape (sarcastic font on).  Hope it makes a good old man single handed cruiser in the sort of near future.

CIMG1395.JPG

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Mr. Ed said:

hegartys1.jpg

That does demonstrate a certain style. :D

On 10/20/2018 at 1:47 PM, Bull City said:

I’ll post some before and after pics if there’s interest. The companionway sliding hatch was delaminated and had lichen and moss on it, but now has been glued up and had about 5 coats o varnish on her... 

Nebe, winter is coming for fuck's sake. We need history, lots of pics, come on. New thread!!!

If boats look like their owners Cruiser, you seriously need to go on a diet.

And when you find a good one, lemme know will ya? 

IMG_0304_zpscvobly8s.thumb.JPG.4ff730ef33e0151acbc7c46521f04ccd.JPG

• Like 2

2 hours ago, frozenhawaiian said:

hauled for the season 

44787236_10156000683732947_4729359858820710400_n.jpg

44721559_10156000683122947_428048960549027840_n.jpg

Nice looking boat. What is she?

3 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Nice looking boat. What is she?

thanks! she's a 1975 Alden Boothbay challenger 58 built by hodgdon yachts up here in maine. 

7 hours ago, monsoon said:

AUK is easily the most well known of the boothbay challengers. my interior layout is pretty different, they were semi custom boats so each is a little different. 

On 10/25/2018 at 10:58 PM, MauiPunter said:

There are some tasty boats on that website.  :)

you're not kidding. 

Stripping the sails at the end of last week I was the only boat at our public docks. Often the docks are pulled by the end of October, by our public works dept. The harbor master told me,

"Stay as long as you want. The public works guys are moose hunting until next week".  

seasons-end-2018-jpg.157860

• Like 2

Wow, still a lot of leaves on your trees this late in the year, for your location.

Meanwhile, to the south of Maine, things were "kind of blue" the other evening. (thread relevance: my boat is out there. Not sailing.)

IMG-1730.JPG

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ajax said:

Wow, still a lot of leaves on your trees this late in the year, for your location.

Having spent most of my life in Vermont, the coast of Maine (same latitude), is a different climate. The old weather adage is "10 degrees cooler in the summer, 10 degrees warmer in the winter" is surprisingly accurate if you compare our weather to just 10 miles inland. The North Atlantic has much control over our weather. 

Seed catalogues that show the planting areas in temperature ranges often link the Boston planting season colored band as running right up through our area of the coast. 

Of course when the wind blows from inland, we can be just as cold - or hot - as anywhere. Luckily the prevailing winds usually mix the ocean climate with our weather. We have a Pin Oak out front that has just started to turn red. It won't drop it's leaves for weeks.  

• Like 1

Out here in balmy Seattle, our Big Leaf Maple has stayed true to itself, turning colors at the solstice and going completely bare with the first strong wind. It's also the last to get foliage in the spring. That sucker is a real sprinter. It has more dormancy than any tree in the yard but when it's active, it grows like a weed. 

1 hour ago, Kris Cringle said:

Of course when the wind blows from inland, we can be just as cold - or hot - as anywhere

Maine is 8 degrees south of Ireland.  (I didn't know it was that much until I just checked)

Thanks to the generosity of the Carribbean in sending its warm waters to us rather than up the east coast of North America, Ireland has very mild winters -- damp damp damp, but average daily-minimum temperatures are above freezing throughout the winter.  

3 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

Maine is 8 degrees south of Ireland.  (I didn't know it was that much until I just checked)

Thanks to the generosity of the Carribbean for now in sending its warm waters to us rather than up the east coast of North America, Ireland has very mild winters -- damp damp damp, but average daily-minimum temperatures are above freezing throughout the winter.  

FIFY. You folks are going to be in a world of hurt when the ocean heat engines reorganize. 

• Like 1

On 10/24/2018 at 5:42 PM, shaggybaxter said:

If boats look like their owners Cruiser, you seriously need to go on a diet.

And when you find a good one, lemme know will ya? 

IMG_0304_zpscvobly8s.thumb.JPG.4ff730ef33e0151acbc7c46521f04ccd.JPG

I suppose two boats could not be more different than yours and mine, but yours really appeals to me. Very cool boat.

20 minutes ago, John C said:

Pelican Lake MN2BE78E0C-0495-4D8B-82E8-D81CE5512DC3.thumb.jpeg.fa62d1851e928367fb20cf5f99cd9229.jpeg

B6BF72F0-D571-4D67-83B3-F5C4D1EBA3C3.jpeg

A5B18637-B538-4071-8FFC-574FCD4F8875.jpeg

That is a neat boat. The joys of shallow draft and retractable appendages. So...Minnesota. That photo was taken in one of the like, 11 warm days per year that you guys get to experience? I can't believe that dude in the background is actually in the water. Brrrrrrrrr.

1 hour ago, John C said:

Pelican Lake MN2BE78E0C-0495-4D8B-82E8-D81CE5512DC3.thumb.jpeg.fa62d1851e928367fb20cf5f99cd9229.jpeg

B6BF72F0-D571-4D67-83B3-F5C4D1EBA3C3.jpeg

A5B18637-B538-4071-8FFC-574FCD4F8875.jpeg

Spiffy package, nice fun/dollar ratio.

3 hours ago, IStream said:

FIFY. You folks are going to be in a world of hurt when the ocean heat engines reorganize. 

Indeed.  The North Atlantic Drift is already slowing.

Mercifully, by the time the current slows significantly, I will long since be compost.

4 hours ago, Cruisin Loser said:

I suppose two boats could not be more different than yours and mine, but yours really appeals to me. Very cool boat.

G'day Cruising,

considering your boat is just stunning, I appreciate that, thanks.

I do have a bone to pick with you though, every time I see a pic of your boat I get guilty and overcome with an urge to go down the boat and clean something.

Awww man,  just talking about it has done it again.

Sigh....I have to go get my bucket and rags, my guilty conscience is screaming at me.

I definitely need to stop looking at this thread.

SB

• Like 1

12 hours ago, markwesti said:

In the yard and getting out of the yard . Yard is Eddies of Wilmington Ca. boat is "Patricia A" . Westsail 28 .

31286721148_d6b4454bdd_z.jpgIMG_3301 by mark westi, on Flickr

26990172707_d84a2fae4e_z.jpg020 by mark westi, on Flickr

A lot of work to lift the "Pox Curse."

Congrats on regaining the water!

- Stumbling

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Quilbilly said:

Yes, I designed and built it. 

Man, Alaska is a remote, rugged place to sail.

9 hours ago, Quilbilly said:

excellent, care to share some more pictures of your creation?

9 hours ago, Quilbilly said:

It would be awesome if you put a few more of that boat in the cool boats to admire thread...

15 hours ago, chester said:

excellent, care to share some more pictures of your creation?

Here are a few. We trailer it to Prince Rupert BC and sail north to Alaska from there. I wrote an article about designing and building it that was in the May/June 2018 Wooden Boat magazine. 

ToddIMG_7907.thumb.jpg.80ff557de716ec5103927128dcee13ee.jpgIMG_6916.thumb.jpg.cbd8dd9adf8e629d74f57828a5810d40.jpg

IMG_2214.jpg

IMG_7302.jpg

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Quilbilly said:

Here are a few. We trailer it to Prince Rupert BC and sail north to Alaska from there. I wrote an article about designing and building it that was in the May/June 2018 Wooden Boat magazine. 

ToddIMG_7907.thumb.jpg.80ff557de716ec5103927128dcee13ee.jpgIMG_6916.thumb.jpg.cbd8dd9adf8e629d74f57828a5810d40.jpg

IMG_2214.jpg

IMG_7302.jpg

That's just brilliant. Looks like a lot of Letcher in there.

Thanks Todd.

Something happened and my WB subscription was cancelled. They did send me the past 6 issues and I haven’t opened the package yet. I will today and  can’t wait to read the article!

Great  job!

You TOW it to Rupert?

You don't take the ferry?

12 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

You TOW it to Rupert?

You don't take the ferry?

We tow it because it costs about $800 in fuel round trip  and just to bring my truck one way from Bellingham is $2800. I imagine adding the boat would make it 6 grand. And it's a nice drive. 

• Like 1

My restored boat(mostly)

The  Sailing tender not sailing

Before I got the boat

9E5C2364-B933-466A-8CCC-63133722615D.jpeg

8D9E97D1-4510-458C-A0D6-8A5A42AEC65E.jpeg

D29404E3-EFDF-4618-9744-228D37351E43.jpeg

• Like 1

What pretty lines and delicious details. Do you know the designer?

Not today, but it won't be long til this will be the view from my bedroom porch...

DSC_0160_zpsu3awm8tp.jpg

This is my other boat not sailing on the Magalloway River...

DSCF1588.jpg

DSCF1585.jpg