IStream

Show your boat not sailing

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, py26129 said:

Beer: That club is right around the corner from me.  If you have any questions about your boat I would be happy to go and knock on their door

 

 

Hey, it would be great if you could find any info from the older members or info on the Royal St. Lawrence Yacht Company. All I could find was a notice of a meeting at the club for the members of the syndicate or group back in 1968. The boat as built for some prince who was injured and couldn’t race it in the Newport-Bermuda race. 

I asked around here a few months back but only got links from the crowd to canoe manufacturers...

Thanks,

Kevin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No problem.  I'll see what I can find out.  By chance, do you happen to know what the boat was called when she was launched?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No. The name was Mooeak when I got it from a man named Andjrze Lewondewski from Brooklyn,NY. 

He has the line drawings and particulars and the original tiller but  he wouldn’t send me a copy of plans or a pic of the tiller, so I had to forge ahead without to reconstruct the keel and rudder damage. The tiller was easier to layup since the boat has a taffrail to match shapes for the sake of elegance.

My guess is that the Naval Architect is known up there and his work available somewhere...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

No. The name was Mooeak when I got it from a man named Andjrze Lewondewski from Brooklyn,NY. 

He has the line drawings and particulars and the original tiller but  he wouldn’t send me a copy of plans or a pic of the tiller, so I had to forge ahead without to reconstruct the keel and rudder damage. The tiller was easier to layup since the boat has a taffrail to match shapes for the sake of elegance.

My guess is that the Naval Architect is known up there and his work available somewhere...

Thanks for the info. I'll go and knock on their door to see if there is anything in their archives 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/20/2018 at 5:03 PM, py26129 said:

Thanks for the info. I'll go and knock on their door to see if there is anything in their archives 

 

 

It was probably not designed as a cutter, there are 2 inner forestay fittings below deck attached to the gripe. The cabin sides and deck have been replaced as well as the mast and the taffrail is probably a later addition, but the lines are still there in the sheer and freeboard.

1C96D919-E80F-405A-8B21-72CB352B56C9.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Jim in Halifax said:

Might have booked haul out too late this year...

 

2018-11-16 08.07.09.jpg

 

Winter caught me, too. This was 2 or 3 snowstorms, ago. Can't find a space to put the tarp on. Maybe today,...

snow-on-deck-jpg.158546

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alright already! I’ll go start wrapping the boat for the winter. I got lucky last year and finished a day before 9” of snow. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jim in Halifax said:

Might have booked haul out too late this year...

 

2018-11-16 08.07.09.jpg

Oh well, hanging in the slings for the winter will probably be easier on the boat than being on stands.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/12/2018 at 3:07 PM, kdh said:

Just before being splashed in 2006.

pjf8mQv.jpg

mI2cwft.jpg

A Hinckley, nice?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Helping big brother and his family get the Pearson 39 to the marina for the winter. Had some diesel issues so the whaler has to do the job...

Super cool niece and nephew

13A3503E-6435-491B-BF51-C1520017E64A.jpeg

CC2E861B-2E58-42CB-A661-70D7C180E981.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I moved berths to a nicer, more private berth for the winter with my own pontoon to do work outside without getting in everyones way. 

NJYWGh0.jpg

FSiam4n.jpg

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/24/2018 at 11:38 AM, SloopJonB said:

Oh well, hanging in the slings for the winter will probably be easier on the boat than being on stands.

Consider yourself first in for the. Season!

 

4 minutes ago, ShakeDown120 said:

Not sailing for many years prior and at least one more...

 

Only 100F inside.jpg

Too hot to work on it.jpg

It looks like your doing a nice project right. Your schedule is correct. New boat for a fraction of the price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

It looks like your doing a nice project right. Your schedule is correct. New boat for a fraction of the price.

That's what I keep telling my wife.  ;)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, ShakeDown120 said:

That's what I keep telling my wife.  ;)

What is she? The boat, not your wife.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Plane brought home for disassembly/long term storage (Subaru roof rack and a lashing makes a good tow hitch).

Photo also shows my old Glen-L 10 (what is left of it) not sailing............

1Ay6YYV.jpg

 

.......float 'spreader bars' were made from the Glen-L mast.   

JAzD7AN.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Getting rid of toys, putting planes in long term storage...You gonna sail around the world or something?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, IStream said:

Getting rid of toys, putting planes in long term storage...You gonna sail around the world or something?

Nah, just trying to simplify my life.  

I still love building shit, mucking with Panope and hanging with the family.  Everything else is going on Ebay, craigslist, or the landfill.

Steve

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Panope said:

Nah, just trying to simplify my life.  

I still love building shit, mucking with Panope and hanging with the family.  Everything else is going on Ebay, craigslist, or the landfill.

Steve

 

 

Got any anchors for sale?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Panope said:

wV3WAIo.jpg

Do you deliver? There's a special on at Port of Sidney, and I'd buy you lunch. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally, seriously not sailing. I feel a sense of relief at this time of year. I stop checking the marine forecast, hourly, and just peek at the regular weather to see if I need an extra layer or to just decide to not go outside at all. There is nothing wrong with the temporary state of not sailing. It's a zen state. 

under-cover-jpg.158886

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Do you deliver? There's a special on at Port of Sidney, and I'd buy you lunch. ;)

If you can wait, no problem.  Boat is in the shed untill next Summer.  

Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/25/2018 at 1:17 AM, Andy McCann said:

A Hinckley, nice?

Sou'wester 42. Great boats.

eEGUUFd.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Panope said:

Plane brought home for disassembly/long term storage (Subaru roof rack and a lashing makes a good tow hitch).

Photo also shows my old Glen-L 10 (what is left of it) not sailing............

1Ay6YYV.jpg

 

.......float 'spreader bars' were made from the Glen-L mast.   

JAzD7AN.jpg

I can’t believe you blocked your license plate. You don’t trust us?:P

Nice flying boat!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shaker:

Yep, that's a great looking C&C model. They did not design many bad looking boats. I really like that recess aft on the cabin side where they extend the coaming forward. I used a similar  detail to that on STEALTH CHICKEN to visually shorten the length of the house. Doing a variation of it on the 45'er being built in Estonia now. Here rendered by Rasper.

45437582484_21977225fe_h.jpgIbold45 R45 by robert perry, on Flickr

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

I can’t believe you blocked your license plate. You don’t trust us?:P

Nice flying boat!

Hell no I don't trust you crazy bastards!!!

Actually, that car is going on the block.  It's the Craigslist psychos that I don't trust. 

Steve

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bob Perry said:

Shaker:

Yep, that's a great looking C&C model. They did not design many bad looking boats. I really like that recess aft on the cabin side where they extend the coaming forward. I used a similar  detail to that on STEALTH CHICKEN to visually shorten the length of the house. Doing a variation of it on the 45'er being built in Estonia now. Here rendered by Rasper.

45437582484_21977225fe_h.jpgIbold45 R45 by robert perry, on Flickr

Bob,

As usual, that is a gorgeous boat. When I win the lotto next week, I'm flying out and having you design a boat for me.  Like I said, when I win the lottery. Next week...   ;-)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love that knuckle in the stern, Bob! Among other things. A detail like that can't be easy to make in a female mold.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The boat itself may not be my cuppa but those renderings are pure art. I'd love to have those framed on my office wall. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kinardo:

That's Rasper's work. He's as good as it gets at this stuff and a lot of fun to work with. We have 2 hour Skype sessions with a shared screen. He amazes e with his talent. I don't think he would mind if you printed the images. I don't. You might PM him out of courtesy and ask. Someone in the fan club used one of my images for their Christmas card. It looks good but I would have liked them to ask first. I would have been fine with it.

Willin:

I'll have to check but they may be using a split mold for the hull. There is not enough rake to the bow to pull it out forward the way we did with the carbon cutters. I have pics somewhere. I'll look.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d imagine that at least a 2 part mold. Canoes have to be that way-I don’t see how that hull could make it out by the bow. 

Damn that’s nice to look at!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, kinardly said:

The boat itself may not be my cuppa but those renderings are pure art. I'd love to have those framed on my office wall. 

I'll clean out my PM box Kinardly as I think it is full just now. Those renders that I have sent to Bob which he has shared here are downscaled JPEGs for website display and I have the original high resolution if you really want. I've got a fairly big 19x13 6 color printer that really does a great job on such work and I should dust it off and start offering prints to those such as yourself at a reasonable price. If I don't use the printer regularly the ink tends to clog the impossibly fine inkjet nozzles. Use it or lose it!

    Thanks for the plug Bob.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

I'll clean out my PM box Kinardly as I think it is full just now. Those renders that I have sent to Bob which he has shared here are downscaled JPEGs for website display and I have the original high resolution if you really want. I've got a fairly big 19x13 6 color printer that really does a great job on such work and I should dust it off and start offering prints to those such as yourself at a reasonable price. If I don't use the printer regularly the ink tends to clog the impossibly fine inkjet nozzles. Use it or lose it!

    Thanks for the plug Bob.

Hi Kinardly,

    I have gone through the archives and found some other images of the double ender being built in Latvia or wherever. How do you like these?

image.thumb.png.cf319effb87168460408c8ff9cba1e83.png

image.thumb.png.63b8cce3b6237f7ba44f9d04767a4a7b.png

image.thumb.png.ff279e9eb9d38475fd28c64f7b4b6ae3.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the look of that boat very much Bob. Colin Archer cool! 

Do I read the back of the cockpit correctly in that the coaming sort of stops at the back? Very clever and unusual if so. 

Is the hard dodger demountable?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Echos of Valiant?  It's really nice.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The powerboat (Kencraft 190 Challenger) and the sailboat (International Folkboat) are both snug until next spring.

 

small_20181125_153655.jpg

small2_20181127_122411.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ed:

That is a soft dodger. Here's a shot of the deck mold getting  ready to be polished. Lots of shape going on. Hull will be infused over a male plug.

 

Ajax:

Pretty much a 2018 version of the Valiant.

45466100074_e02a1d843c_h.jpgPer decks by robert perry, on Flickr

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bob Perry said:

Ed:

That is a soft dodger. Here's a shot of the deck mold getting  ready to be polished. Lots of shape going on. Hull will be infused over a male plug.

 

Ajax:

Pretty much a 2018 version of the Valiant.

45466100074_e02a1d843c_h.jpgPer decks by robert perry, on Flickr

So as built the coamings gradually reduce to almost nothing at the back of the cockpit? And is the well really asymmetric? I can’t make out what’s going on where the chap is peering into that big hole. Not at all sure if I’m reading it correctly though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ed:

Kind of. I have kept the coaming top wide enough at it's most narrow point that you can still sit on it.

No. The cockpit is symmetrical. The "gap" you see, where the worker is. is a large opening hatch. With the hatch in place it would look symmetrical. The yard took Jody's 3D models and then made their own 3D model so they could fine tune the tooling details. They are very clever and they have a great eye for complex shapes as you can see. Builder dont like my decks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When our man gets the cockpit renderings out I will not be wondering what is underneath that hatch myself!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bob Perry said:

Ed:

Kind of. I have kept the coaming top wide enough at it's most narrow point that you can still sit on it.

No. The cockpit is symmetrical. The "gap" you see, where the worker is. is a large opening hatch. With the hatch in place it would look symmetrical. The yard took Jody's 3D models and then made their own 3D model so they could fine tune the tooling details. They are very clever and they have a great eye for complex shapes as you can see. Builder dont like my decks.

I really like the complexity of the curves, all sort of nested and all different from each other.

Lots of curves. Mmm....

What material is the mould made from? I take it that the complexity of those curves is  why the builder has a down on your deck? 

I just made a very disappointing chicken Caesar salad. My wife would be justified in leaving me after that. I don’t know what went wrong, apart from everything. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ed:

That deck mold was CNC cut form the model. Yep, lots of sexy and ergonomic curve. Hard to build. Not hard to CNC.

Did you forget the Worchestershire sauce in your salad dressing? The lemon? The anchovies? The Romano? The croutons? Add the olive oil and that's all there is to it. Use good ground black pepper.  and a virgin olive oil. Piece of cake. My problem is my dressing is so good I end up making Caesar Soup.

Beer:

That the access to the engine compartment.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Bob Perry said:

Here you go Beer. This is from the builder's model.

46195207381_c833e83b47_h.jpgper1 by robert perry, on Flickr

 

That's gorgeous.

Many years ago there was a household name movie star in our shop, and while he was looking around another customer was behaving like a real dickhead to a nice salesperson.over an expensive and exotic item of stock, being rude and bullying and all round unpleasant. Movie star courteously asks if he can have a look at this item,  clocks its merits and asks how much it is (a couple of thousand quid or so) and casually says he'd like to buy one. He turns to walk away before pausing just long enough to say, "No, on second thoughts, make it two". 

Unpleasant customer crushed. 

So, in that spirit, like your Carbon Cutter Client, I'd like one for each ocean please . . .

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ed:

The carbon cutter client is not like that He's a very nice guy. He just happens to be able to afford what he wants. He gave me this beautiful, antique Japanese pipe done in Cloisonne. It's not a pipe I would ever smoke. I use it as a paper weight in the office. H e said, "Saw this while antique shopping with my wife. I thought you might like it." That kind of guy.

46195408921_5030c87791_k.jpg012 by robert perry, on Flickr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who says money can't buy happiness? :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ed:

A member of my fan club made those. He went through a few prototypes trying to come up with a design that would work as a real cleat. The are hollow underneath for  LED lighting. I bought three of them last Christmas. Gave one t Kim and one to Neil at the Betts yard. Thought I'd keep one for myself. Pretty much anyone who walks into the office sees it and says "Wow, where did you get that?" I use it for "set design" when I am photographing one of my pipes.

45471764514_4fadfbc47b_k.jpg003 by robert perry, on Flickr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Who says money can't buy happiness? :D

I don't know, I've only ever had enough to buy food.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Who says money can't buy happiness? :D

Boy, there's a topic.  Been studied at some length and it turns out that happiness and money are indeed correlated. But only to the spot where you've got all the basics covered with no worries. After that. Nope. More things don't make people more happy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I read a study that the break point for lottery winners is around $13 mil. That's the number where people say it changed their lives for the better or worse. Below that, they report really no difference to the way they live. I'd like to check out the territory around 5 mil just to see for myself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

I read a study that the break point for lottery winners is around $13 mil. That's the number where people say it changed their lives for the better or worse. Below that, they report really no difference to the way they live. I'd like to check out the territory around 5 mil just to see for myself.

With $5M you can pay off the mortgage and put the kids through school but depending on your age and standard of living, not necessarily retire. With $13M you can do all the above and bank ~$10M which is enough to generate $100k - $300k annually depending on interest rates, which will let you retire at most any age.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got the plane (fuselage) hung up in the shed.  It is nicely out of the way with headroom underneath.

.....and the boat is not sailing.

Steve

m8nCtIW.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, IStream said:

With $5M you can pay off the mortgage and put the kids through school but depending on your age and standard of living, not necessarily retire. With $13M you can do all the above and bank ~$10M which is enough to generate $100k - $300k annually depending on interest rates, which will let you retire at most any age.

I'm retired already, no kids. I could afford much better scotch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

I'm retired already, no kids. I could afford much better scotch.

Okay, you qualify for the $5M club.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

my hinckley 38 under the arch tent where she'll spend the winter, getting a full rewire, repower and re plumbing. also we had the bottom sand blasted so she'll get fresh barrier coat and new bottom paint. 

46437339_465953677262547_4692972840054423552_n.jpg

47119818_471797950011453_1575459871791251456_o.jpg

47310866_474799296377985_4611312236013551616_n.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice. That looks like a good place to spend the winter. Looks like you might have room for a small grow-op in there too. Could pay for the renovations.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Bob Perry said:

Ed:

A member of my fan club made those. He went through a few prototypes trying to come up with a design that would work as a real cleat. The are hollow underneath for  LED lighting. I bought three of them last Christmas. Gave one t Kim and one to Neil at the Betts yard. Thought I'd keep one for myself. Pretty much anyone who walks into the office sees it and says "Wow, where did you get that?" I use it for "set design" when I am photographing one of my pipes.

45471764514_4fadfbc47b_k.jpg003 by robert perry, on Flickr

I was stunned when Bob gave me one, I love it. I have it in the living room.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, frozenhawaiian said:

my hinckley 38 under the arch tent where she'll spend the winter, getting a full rewire, repower and re plumbing. also we had the bottom sand blasted so she'll get fresh barrier coat and new bottom paint. 

46437339_465953677262547_4692972840054423552_n.jpg

47119818_471797950011453_1575459871791251456_o.jpg

47310866_474799296377985_4611312236013551616_n.jpg

Those Arch tents look really good, how long do they last? Are they expensive?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, frozenhawaiian said:

my hinckley 38 under the arch tent where she'll spend the winter, getting a full rewire, repower and re plumbing. also we had the bottom sand blasted so she'll get fresh barrier coat and new bottom paint. 

46437339_465953677262547_4692972840054423552_n.jpg

47119818_471797950011453_1575459871791251456_o.jpg

47310866_474799296377985_4611312236013551616_n.jpg

Nice. I'm doing it all wrong with the ends of my shed missing (not well suited to high winds...) and no heat.

Woodstove?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, kimbottles said:

I was stunned when Bob gave me one, I love it. I have it in the living room.

I’ve heard this one before with one off items in my shop.

”I want to build a boat around this!”

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ShakeDown120 said:

Nice. I'm doing it all wrong with the ends of my shed missing (not well suited to high winds...) and no heat.

Woodstove?

yep, oil drum wood stove. even on days in the teens we can get the inside of the enclosure up to the mid 50's 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Zora said:

Those Arch tents look really good, how long do they last? Are they expensive?

the frame is usually good for 5-6 years as long as you don't abuse it and the shrink wrap is generally good for 2-3 years. the plan is for this boat to spend the winter in here this year, next year my wooden 36ft boat will spend the winter in the shed being worked on and the winter after that we'll extend the shed another 20 feet and my 58ft ketch will go into it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that's a great design, Bob. To my eye you've achieved modern sailing length without any compromise to aesthetics. I love the spoon to the bow and the interesting stern profile. The ends have character without giving up length at the waterline.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Ishmael said:

I read a study that the break point for lottery winners is around $13 mil. That's the number where people say it changed their lives for the better or worse. Below that, they report really no difference to the way they live. I'd like to check out the territory around 5 mil just to see for myself.

I find this topic fascinating, and it seems to come up often here. Some other thoughts:

There's always a guy with more money and a bigger boat. The wealthy are always relatively not wealthy.

Some studies support the idea that social climbing leads to unhappiness. Happy people have more money than their friends, so don't pick friends that have more money.

Regardless of what we say, most of us, especially those without excess wealth, believe that money brings happiness. This gives most of us hope for a better future. The lottery winner loses the hope that winning the lottery will bring happiness.

Learning the lesson that money beyond that required for basic needs doesn't bring happiness can be a hard lesson. Worse, it's not enough for the wealthy person to be convinced, he has to convince family and those close to him who are distressed over a wealthy relative not spending money on themselves to give happiness.

Materialism--spending money on stuff, to me is the most questionable way to turn money into happiness.

There is wealth and there is spending style. The two are correlated but some with money spend little and vice versa.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

KDH:

I have this reoccurring day dream that I'm sitting on the deck of my 200' mega yacht in Porto Fino,  in the shade, glass of 1966 Chateau Lafitte in my hand and I'm depressed.

What then?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have casual sex with a supermodel and then get a good night's sleep. Always works for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, frozenhawaiian said:

the frame is usually good for 5-6 years as long as you don't abuse it and the shrink wrap is generally good for 2-3 years. the plan is for this boat to spend the winter in here this year, next year my wooden 36ft boat will spend the winter in the shed being worked on and the winter after that we'll extend the shed another 20 feet and my 58ft ketch will go into it. 

I can’t believe you’re crazier than me!

But you are.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

I’ve heard this one before with one off items in my shop.

”I want to build a boat around this!”

I was going to install it on FRANCIS, but it is too pretty to use like that.

Best to call it “Art” and display it indoors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, kdh said:

I find this topic fascinating, and it seems to come up often here. Some other thoughts:

There's always a guy with more money and a bigger boat. The wealthy are always relatively not wealthy.

Some studies support the idea that social climbing leads to unhappiness. Happy people have more money than their friends, so don't pick friends that have more money.

Regardless of what we say, most of us, especially those without excess wealth, believe that money brings happiness. This gives most of us hope for a better future. The lottery winner loses the hope that winning the lottery will bring happiness.

Learning the lesson that money beyond that required for basic needs doesn't bring happiness can be a hard lesson. Worse, it's not enough for the wealthy person to be convinced, he has to convince family and those close to him who are distressed over a wealthy relative not spending money on themselves to give happiness.

Materialism--spending money on stuff, to me is the most questionable way to turn money into happiness.

There is wealth and there is spending style. The two are correlated but some with money spend little and vice versa.

Happiness is being married to your best friend.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Bob Perry said:

KDH:

I have this reoccurring day dream that I'm sitting on the deck of my 200' mega yacht in Porto Fino,  in the shade, glass of 1966 Chateau Lafitte in my hand and I'm depressed.

What then?

I've seen families fly into their big yachts for the weekend. Crew running around polishing, provisioning beforehand.

But think about this: This leaves nothing productive for anyone in the family to do. Does sitting on the deck of a big yacht with nothing to do make them happy? The boat never leaves its moorage, but even if it did the owners would just be, you guessed it, sitting around doing nothing.

50 minutes ago, IStream said:

Have casual sex with a supermodel and then get a good night's sleep. Always works for me.

This assumes the supermodel is attracted to your wealth and is willing to boink you because of it. Not my kind of girl.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The nostrum that "A man's reach should always exceed his grasp" helps create the myth that true happiness is always just round the corner: one more boat; one more sexual encounter; one more takeover. Or in my case, one more jib-headed topsail (Oh please, Santa, please, things would be so complete then). 

Most people die with the same proportion of content, discontent, joy, and equanimity in their lives, that they were born with. Not much you can do about it. 

There are of course many exceptions, both ways, but an unhappy poor person will probably be an unhappy rich person: they may be able to make more other people unhappy when rich, of course.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Bob Perry said:

"

"I was going to install it on FRANCIS, but it is too pretty to use like that.

It's too heavy Kim.

Well there is that too.......

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why on earth would you want to have professional crew aboard your vessel? 

If you can’t handle your boats yourself they are too large.

The fun of having boats to me is operating them myself and with friends.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, kimbottles said:

Why on earth would you want to have professional crew aboard your vessel? 

If you can’t handle your boats yourself they are too large.

The fun of having boats to me is operating them myself and with friends.

Betty Alan's previous owner was nice and rich at the time, and was an amiable fellow. It was his first boat. It was not a wise choice. With no network of sailing friends to offer nice days out and lean on, he had to hire someone to take him out for a sail. He'd have had more fun with a cruising dinghy. But an understandable and likeable mistake. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sail4beer said:

I can’t believe you’re crazier than me!

But you are.

haha for what it's worth all 3 are working charter boats 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites