IStream

Show your boat not sailing

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Whinging Pom said:

What do the mega rich do for fun?  You've bonked the supermodel, sailed your super yacht, watched your football team crush their rivals. What now? 

It all goes wrong from then on. Someone else builds a bigger yacht, you have a row with your equally ego-driven manager at your football club, which start losing matches, and your love life descends into a maw of  prenups and NDAs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And then someone comes along swinging a bigger dick.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/7/2018 at 8:58 AM, Whinging Pom said:

What do the mega rich do for fun?  You've bonked the supermodel, sailed your super yacht, watched your football team crush their rivals. What now? 

You run for president and have the misfortune to be elected.  You surround yourself with crooks and incompetent boobs and watch the "fake media"  expose your entire political platform as fairy tales and fraud.  The special counsel comes after you for your links to Russian agents and your blackmail payments to pornographic actresses, and your life descends into a living hell with your only outlet being your daily Twitter tirade during your 5:00 AM bowel movement.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, captain_crunch said:

You run for president and have the misfortune to be elected.  You surround yourself with crooks and incompetent boobs and watch the "fake media"  expose your entire political platform as fairy tales and fraud.  The special counsel comes after you for your links to Russian agents and your blackmail payments to pornographic actresses, and your life descends into a living hell with your only outlet being your daily Twitter tirade during your 5:00 AM bowel movement.

 

Not mega rich.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Peenstone said:

170868373_Lokiatanchor.thumb.JPG.99a88d81b7249dd6699bc5de7763a00e.JPG

Is that your boat Peenstone?

So nice to see a properly sorted and tidy boat.  I guess you were smiling as you were rowing away.  Nicely done.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1989 Olson 34.  I've had her for 10 years, after dry sailing an O-30 for 10 years prior.  Love those west coast boats.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You know the stars have aligned when the jelly bears are hiking hard. 

I think that's an omen.

Go sailing.

Eat gingerbread first.

IMG_0763b.thumb.jpg.8949670f2876467d607db4980f7bec34.jpg

Btw, those sails are the new Norths 3DIcing. Guaranteed to last as long as temps do not exceed neg 20.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Maw said:

You know the stars have aligned when the jelly bears are hiking hard. 

I think that's an omen.

Go sailing.

Eat gingerbread first.

IMG_0763b.thumb.jpg.8949670f2876467d607db4980f7bec34.jpg

Btw, those sails are the new Norths 3DIcing. Guaranteed to last as long as temps do not exceed neg 20.

Name of the boat should obviously be Goldilocks

FB- Doug

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, IStream said:

This is the Not Sailing thread. Get those bears outta here! ;)

Ish, I tried, but like true little Anarchists they're rather naughty. 

Tacking right on the turning mark, deliberate foul. They're not going to make it. Before they set out I craftily chocked the piece of wood so they fall to leeward....

nyu nyu nyu...I feel Godlike almost. 

 

IMG_0764.thumb.jpg.c057aef44894334db325506f5baa9b92.jpg

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/13/2018 at 11:00 PM, Peenstone said:

170868373_Lokiatanchor.thumb.JPG.99a88d81b7249dd6699bc5de7763a00e.JPG

Nice, so it's somewhere international?  You need the flag to show where you are from?

  • Downvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No courtesy flag needed.  

36 deg 50' 44.01" N

76 deg 18' 07.07" W

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/6/2018 at 10:10 AM, Bob Perry said:

KDH:

I have this reoccurring day dream that I'm sitting on the deck of my 200' mega yacht in Porto Fino,  in the shade, glass of 1966 Chateau Lafitte in my hand and I'm depressed.

What then?

You are visited by a guy from the next boat over, and he asks you to design a boat for him, and you go back to work because that's what you like best.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the question of whether more money will make you happier misses the point. More money can certainly make life more interesting, and it can allow you to do things which you think are worthwhile, like paying for a kid's college or for a new wing at the hospital.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The things we are remembered by are the things we create, not the things we have.

money is just a tool, not an end.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Best quote about it that I ever saw;

"Money can't buy happiness but it makes the pursuit of it easier".

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's a couple of photos of my boat not sailing.

If anyone asked me what my favorite boat is it would be this one, but I do like strange boats.

P8090073 (1).jpg

DSC_3007.jpg

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Russell Brown said:

Here's a couple of photos of my boat not sailing.

If anyone asked me what my favorite boat is it would be this one, but I do like strange boats.

P8090073 (1).jpg

DSC_3007.jpg

I've wondered if the concept would work without the exotic construction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Russell Brown said:

Here's one from the Round the County race taken by Sean Trew.

46213685_2155349597821218_6948352045124419584_o (1).jpg

Fascinating boat. How well does the cutter rig work upwind when the sails are so close together?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sure that it could be built as light or lighter with plywood. My only hesitation with chines are the aerodynamics of the forward end. For some weird reason the boat is almost completely dry shaped like it is, no matter how wild the water is, so chines could screw that up.

The bowsprit articulates, so the luff of the big jib is set to leeward of centerline, opening up the slot between the jibs. This is used with the spinnaker too, but the pole is swung to weather, instead of to leeward. Gybes can be a bit a a handful in big wind with articulating the bowsprit, the running backstays, gybing the main and spinnaker, rotating the mast, and water ballast if needed. It's a good thing the rig is so tiny (the mast is less than 31 feet tall).

The boat is a pretty interesting study. It's a radically different look at the compromises inherent in trailerable multihulls.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Russell Brown said:

Here's one from the Round the County race taken by Sean Trew.

46213685_2155349597821218_6948352045124419584_o (1).jpg

What's the airplane at the top of the mast?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, MauiPunter said:

What's the airplane at the top of the mast?

 

Wind indicator and capsize preventer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Russell Brown and his boat are badass. He has completed the R2AK in his cat a few years and done well in a race with about 30% DNFs. He looks good and happy doing it ("I just got a shower. I feel wonderful!"). I trailer my boat out of Texas and I'm grumpy AF ("Texas drivers. Ack!"). If you haven't seen the articulating mast tabernacle (it lets the mast lay horizontal, to the port or starboard), it's worth a look. It's designed to let the boat self-right after a knock down. Skip to 3:33 to see it being used in anger.

Snubs

Snubs

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Wind indicator and capsize preventer.

Is this the one in which he embedded the foil radar reflector?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's an older blog post showing the mast head float construction: http://gougeon32.blogspot.com/2017/02/blimpy.html

The float I built is a smaller section and a bit longer than the stock float, but has the same award winning (and cheap) radar reflector mounted inside.

The self righting system on this boat really works. It's not fun to tip over on such a big boat, but it's only 4 or 5 minutes before sailing again.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/22/2018 at 8:35 PM, Russell Brown said:

Here's a couple of photos of my boat not sailing.

If anyone asked me what my favorite boat is it would be this one, but I do like strange boats.

P8090073 (1).jpg

DSC_3007.jpg

We have a guy on the Chesapeake who owns one.  He named it "Flipper."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, snubber said:

I think Russell Brown and his boat are badass. He has completed the R2AK in his cat a few years and done well in a race with about 30% DNFs. He looks good and happy doing it ("I just got a shower. I feel wonderful!"). I trailer my boat out of Texas and I'm grumpy AF ("Texas drivers. Ack!"). If you haven't seen the articulating mast tabernacle (it lets the mast lay horizontal, to the port or starboard), it's worth a look. It's designed to let the boat self-right after a knock down. Skip to 3:33 to see it being used in anger.

Snubs

Snubs

This seems like it should be mandatory kit for these big condomarans since they are ill prepared for such an incident.  Cool technology.  Never seen that before.   It should be like an air bag.  :D

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is my new boat; I bought her last month,  just as she was being put away for the winter.  Can't wait for spring!  As for the "can money buy happiness?" question, I guess I'll find out tomorrow.  The cashier assured me that the Powerball ticket I bought yesterday is the winning ticket.

Catalina 28 Hukilau.jpg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hukilau said:

This is my new boat; I bought her last month,  just as she was being put away for the winter.  Can't wait for spring!  As for the "can money buy happiness?" question, I guess I'll find out tomorrow.  The cashier assured me that the Powerball ticket I bought yesterday is the winning ticket.

Catalina 28 Hukilau.jpg

Dollar per foot winner! Good luck!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Not Nice said:

Screenshot_20181225-192600~2.png

C&C certainly had a distinctive style.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stumbled across this shot from 2015.  Four anarchist's boats 'not sailing' in one shot:

3nNVPIb.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Panope said:

Stumbled across this shot from 2015.  Four anarchist's boats 'not sailing' in one shot:

3nNVPIb.jpg

There's five...seven if you count the dinghies. Blackjenner, VALIS, you, Kim, and me.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

There's five...seven if you count the dinghies. Blackjenner, VALIS, you, Kim, and me.

Oops, forgot to count me.  

I miss those gatherings.  

Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Panope said:

Oops, forgot to count me.  

I miss those gatherings.  

Steve

Me too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hike, Bitches! said:

:thumbsup:

+2 thumbs 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Panope said:

Oops, forgot to count me.  

I miss those gatherings.  

Steve

We were lucky enough to crew for a Kim and Susan that weekend...

2A07D20B-4A08-4031-AA08-45B3AE94765A.jpeg.67a27fc095c17cf0942fbcbe7ac838ad.jpeg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, olaf hart said:

We were lucky enough to crew for a Kim and Susan that weekend...

2A07D20B-4A08-4031-AA08-45B3AE94765A.jpeg.67a27fc095c17cf0942fbcbe7ac838ad.jpeg

My favorite picture of Sweet Hart!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/25/2018 at 5:12 PM, Hukilau said:

This is my new boat; I bought her last month,  just as she was being put away for the winter.  Can't wait for spring!  As for the "can money buy happiness?" question, I guess I'll find out tomorrow.  The cashier assured me that the Powerball ticket I bought yesterday is the winning ticket.

Catalina 28 Hukilau.jpg

Powerball update: I did not win.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/28/2018 at 10:01 AM, Hukilau said:

Powerball update: I did not win.  

Hey Newbie..Catalina 28? Looking good!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, surfsailingfisherman said:

My Tamanu , Gary Dierking design with custom Amas with Rasputin's help .

Launch day

 

IMG-20181124-WA0012.jpg

where is that? Nice looking vessel!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Kris Cringle said:

60 seconds of not sailing at 6:00am on a September morning. 

 

I've had mornings just like that in Seal Bay, Vinalhaven. A long, uninterrupted night of sleep, no bumps, no crowds, no big shifts, and topped off by a peaceful morning row around the cove with a hot cup of java. Great vid for this time of year. Thanks!

Did I guess right?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Willin' said:

I've had mornings just like that in Seal Bay, Vinalhaven. A long, uninterrupted night of sleep, no bumps, no crowds, no big shifts, and topped off by a peaceful morning row around the cove with a hot cup of java. Great vid for this time of year. Thanks!

Did I guess right?

If the tide is right, I’ll always make sure to get some clams too.  Seal Bay always delivers. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm thinking it's more apt to be Pulpit Harbor....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Close to Seal. Pulpit Harbor, Cabot Cove (aka Ministers Cove) just past the pulpit to the south. I took this shot the same morning. You could hear the Guilllemot's wake. 

45626563335_3ea83bf572_o.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/29/2018 at 9:47 PM, Hike, Bitches! said:

Hey Newbie..Catalina 28? Looking good!

A 1991 Mk 1!  Thanks!  I'd been on the lookout for one for about a year, but they were almost all Mk IIs, priced a bit too high for me, and seemed to all be at least a 5 hour drive or a long plane ride away.  This one popped up on Sailboatlistings, and she was priced right in my wheelhouse and was located less than an hour from my house.  A month later, she was mine!

She's on the hard now, under shrink wrap until the spring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That’s not the end of summer! This is (at the quay in Wickford)... :D

13A0152F-AD13-4027-AA26-1F7E00F9A185.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Butt shots.  Interestingly, there is a 47 year progression of ULDBs in this photo.  Van De Stadt's bruynzeel ULDB "STARBUCK" (1968), My boat an Olson 29 (1986) in foreground, and docked right in front of it is the Soto 30 "Gentoo" (2015).

 

IMG_2682.JPG

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Crumpet-Pano-01sm.jpg.8d97228a6d742cf1bcb0549bce99c675.jpg

Not sailing. fishing, BBQing, talking to the family of turtles playing under the boat, enjoying a 1000 acre island to ourselves for the evening.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 10:09 AM, Cwinsor said:

^^^ Main Duck island? 

yes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, blunted said:

yes

I've rounded MDI umpteen times during the LO300 over the past 30 years, but haven't been on the island since I was a kid in the 70s.  In those wonderful days the lighthouse was still manned and the keeper would come by the dock when recreation boats were in to see if anyone wanted to go for a bumpy Jeep ride to the west end of the island for a full tour of the lighthouse.  At that time there was still the shell of John Foster Dulles' summer retreat for exploring, along with the schoolhouse.  Any buildings still leftover east of the bay?

The main activity back then was commercial fishing.  There was an active commercial fleet based out of Long Point (at Point Traverse) and the boats'd all come in to Schoolhouse Bay to sort their catches - the sight of a 40' fishing trawler full to the gunnels with writhing live ell was a sight nobody would ever forget!  And the stench...

So what's access into the bay like now?  Could we get in to the dock (assuming there's space) with 6'+ draft?

Cheers!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is my boat not sailing.  See how the snowbank straight up from the dog's tail looks like an overturned sailboat?  Well, it is an overturned sailboat (dinghy).   Current temperature (mid-day) is -6F.  Will be colder tonight.  The ice is about two feet thick and the snow is about a foot deep. 

DSC05513.thumb.jpg.8be23ec9f236fe3dc2f2f400b5d4b3ed.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fark, that's cold.  We're going to hit 10F Monday morning and I thought that was bad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Max Rockatansky said:

D7166C80-24A8-4DFD-BB35-3DED0743D942.jpeg

Unfeeling bastard.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ajax said:

Fark, that's cold.  We're going to hit 10F Monday morning and I thought that was bad. 

You were right.

It's generally under 10 as a high around here and my fingers start freezing after a few minutes of working on the boat - it really slows the progress.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:
1 hour ago, Ajax said:

Fark, that's cold.  We're going to hit 10F Monday morning and I thought that was bad. 

You were right.

It's generally under 10 as a high around here and my fingers start freezing after a few minutes of working on the boat - it really slows the progress.

 
Vancouver BC:
 
Month              High / Low(°F)
 
January             44° / 36°
February           47° / 38°
March                51° / 40°
April                    56° / 43°
May                    63° / 49°
June                   67° / 54°
July                    72° / 58°
August               72° / 58°
September       66° / 53°
October             57° / 47°
November        49° / 41°
December        44° / 37°
 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, slap said:
2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

You were right.

It's generally under 10 as a high around here and my fingers start freezing after a few minutes of working on the boat - it really slows the progress.

 
Vancouver BC:
 
Month              High / Low(°F)
 
January             44° / 36°
February           47° / 38°
March                51° / 40°
April                    56° / 43°
May                    63° / 49°
June                   67° / 54°
July                    72° / 58°
August               72° / 58°
September       66° / 53°
October             57° / 47°
November        49° / 41°
December        44° / 37°

He's talking Celsius. I'm from Saskatchewan, so I grew up working on cars outside at -30F. That was nasty, but it was the only way to keep them running.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

He's talking Celsius. I'm from Saskatchewan, so I grew up working on cars outside at -30F. That was nasty, but it was the only way to keep them running.

Indeed I was - sorry for the confusion.

I thought Northerners and flatlanders either plugged in their cars or left them idling all night in the winter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Indeed I was - sorry for the confusion.

I thought Northerners and flatlanders either plugged in their cars or left them idling all night in the winter.

You had to plug in, guaranteed it wouldn't start if you didn't. Even with a block heater and a battery blanket plugged in it was sometimes dodgy. One of my jobs paid for fuel, so I left that car running for a week once.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

You had to plug in, guaranteed it wouldn't start if you didn't. Even with a block heater and a battery blanket plugged in it was sometimes dodgy. One of my jobs paid for fuel, so I left that car running for a week once.

yeahe babey!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/7/2018 at 12:57 PM, Mr. Ed said:

It all goes wrong from then on. Someone else builds a bigger yacht, you have a row with your equally ego-driven manager at your football club, which start losing matches, and your love life descends into a maw of  prenups and NDAs. 

Ah well. We'll always have St. Barts.

 

2FAC07F100000578-0-image-a-19_1451420351729.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

Indeed I was - sorry for the confusion.

I thought Northerners and flatlanders either plugged in their cars or left them idling all night in the winter.

A friend of mine who grew up in the Lower Mainland thought they all drove electric cars in Alberta.  Because of the outlets in front of the spots in Edmonton parking lots.  In those places everybody has command start.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Bull City said:

Unfeeling bastard.

Will it make you feel any better to hear there’s a cold front passing through and the lows will drop to 71F?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BTW, Roman's yacht in the above post is Eclipse, 557 feet long and (disputed) 1.5 billion USD (billion with a b). This handy little craft is two generations on from his yacht Luna, now at the center of a very contentious oligarch divorce. Some billionaires are apparently willing to make do with others' castoffs.

Quote

 

The jewel in the crown for both sides is Akhmedov’s £230m yacht, Luna, which he bought from fellow oligarch Roman Abramovich. Boasting an onboard spa, two heliports and a mini-submarine, it has a missile detection system, bomb-resistant doors and an anti-drone device.

The vessel has been impounded by the authorities in Dubai while the warring parties continue to contest its ownership in the courts.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Max Rockatansky said:

Will it make you feel any better to hear there’s a cold front passing through and the lows will drop to 71F?

A pox on you!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Diarmuid said:

BTW, Roman's yacht in the above post is Eclipse, 557 feet long and (disputed) 1.5 billion USD (billion with a b). This handy little craft is two generations on from his yacht Luna, now at the center of a very contentious oligarch divorce. Some billionaires are apparently willing to make do with others' castoffs.

 

Wow, apparently there’s a market in divorce settlement futures:

<<His ex-wife’s case is being supported by Burford Capital, a boutique finance company that provides funding for high-net-worth individuals pursuing litigation in return for taking a slice of their fortune once assets have been recovered.>>

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Mr. Ed said:

Wow, apparently there’s a market in divorce settlement futures:

<<His ex-wife’s case is being supported by Burford Capital, a boutique finance company that provides funding for high-net-worth individuals pursuing litigation in return for taking a slice of their fortune once assets have been recovered.>>

Oh sure. You can likely buy derivatives pegged to high-net-worth alimony payments, and derivatives indexed to the value of those derivatives. People get paid to polish doorknobs & clear out letterboxes of empty Eaton Square townhouses, in case the absentee owners show up one night unannounced with a satchel of cash, a Russian-English phrasebook, and a Klimt original under one arm. The City's motto is "All services provided, no questions asked." ;)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This high tide and 50 degree weather is being pushed out by 40 knot winds and a low of 8 degrees Fahrenheit.

AB9CAA00-C9EC-4F47-9B59-FAF4B3D5AD86.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just leave this here for now.....

Cannot seem to get it upright.......sorta like when I sail it.......:unsure:

axiomatic.jpg.bb7e8e24283a4a2fab1c8ba5561d99bc.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don’t worry abuout it. It a tough little boat to sail. Just keep drinking the Corona’s and tell everyone you did 25 knots all day/no problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

This high tide and 50 degree weather is being pushed out by 40 knot winds and a low of 8 degrees Fahrenheit.

AB9CAA00-C9EC-4F47-9B59-FAF4B3D5AD86.jpeg

Do low temps really make the water go up?

If true, I've never noticed that..... We got our own issues at the moment

FB- Doug

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites