stayoutofthemiddle

Are Mount Gay Rum Hats Cool?

1 hour ago, Somebody Else said:

Fucking douche flat-biller! lol.gif

That’s the one!! :lol::lol:

You wear the Mt. Gay hat to golf, the Golfing hat to farm and the Seed company hat to sail. 

You wear the winter regatta knit hat for skiiing

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

20 yrs ago when they were a sponsor, KWRW had a contest for the most worn hat.  A friend won It two years in a row.  His hat sucked and he had a large personality.  

Are we talking about Bryan Peterson's hat ?   It had a thread irregularity and said key west raGe week, I recall him winning with that hat that year, tho I dont recall what year that was.   Perhaps 97, which was my second KWRW  

Mount Gay poured millions of dollars into our sport, made many international regattas possible, and we owe them gratitude for that.    The hats had a cult following for decades.

Why is it "cool" to hate on this ?    Seems from this thread many respondents think they elevate themselves to "rock star cool sailor" status by being too cool to endorse something so pedestrian as a red hat.   Whatever.     I dont wear hats, but I think these are cool.

I too have a load of them, if anyone wishes they had a Mt Gay hat, PM me and I'll tell ya how to send me a prepaid envelope which will return with a red hat of your own... be nice people, Mt gay has been good to us.

• Like 10

Personally, I hate the colour red. Don’t wear it and don’t own anything in it. 

If they were another colour I’d wear them, because I support the brand and because, although the hat itself may no longer be “cool,” it’s still cool to receive a momento; (around here at least), the swag these days is pretty barren. 

I wouldn’t mind seeing an update - like a Flexfit SnapBack flat bill, or maybe on an aloha pattern trucker...

3 hours ago, surf nazi said:

Well said, sir ( or ma'm ). I like to give mine away to newbies who really like and appreciate them. 

This.

They may seem pointless to the jaded, but I’ll never forget the pride of getting my first one. Skipper of the first boat I’d ever raced one handed it to me in front of the rest of the crew and said, “you can have this only of you promise to join us for the rest of the summer.” 

I grew 10 feet tall that day. 

• Like 5

not for nothing, but I can't wear these fancy thick cotton hats anymore, especially not in the heat of summer.

1 hour ago, 1sailor said:

Are we talking about Bryan Peterson's hat ?   It had a thread irregularity and said key west raGe week, I recall him winning with that hat that year, tho I dont recall what year that was.   Perhaps 97, which was my second KWRW  

Jeff A.  If you're good with initials, I raced against you on KS but spent the bulk of my time on V.  

And if I remember Bryan P, a hillbilly stuck in MI?

4 hours ago, SailBlueH2O said:

My eggs ..bacon and scrapple fix when ever I am in town...

Damn! 

I’m from Philadelphia and I thought I was the only scrapple eater here!!!

I take statins specifically so when I find a restaurant serving scrapple I can order it without having to worry about a 911 call.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

Jeff A.  If you're good with initials, I raced against you on KS but spent the bulk of my time on V.  

And if I remember Bryan P, a hillbilly stuck in MI?

bryan p, R.I.P., had a hat as good as bubbas or better.

Humm— you are MP?

4 hours ago, LionessRacing said:

You wear the Mt. Gay hat to golf, the Golfing hat to farm and the Seed company hat to sail. 

Let's hear it for cross-training!!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 1sailor said:

Mount Gay poured millions of dollars into our sport, made many international regattas possible, and we owe them gratitude for that.    The hats had a cult following for decades.

Why is it "cool" to hate on this ?    Seems from this thread many respondents think they elevate themselves to "rock star cool sailor" status by being too cool to endorse something so pedestrian as a red hat.   Whatever.     I dont wear hats, but I think these are cool.

I too have a load of them, if anyone wishes they had a Mt Gay hat, PM me and I'll tell ya how to send me a prepaid envelope which will return with a red hat of your own... be nice people, Mt gay has been good to us.

It's not cool to hate on the caps; it's just not meaningful in any way to wear them any more. They're everywhere and they're overplayed. That's it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Somebody Else said:

It's not cool to hate on the caps; it's just not meaningful in any way to wear them any more. They're everywhere and they're overplayed. That's it.

Exactly this. 

26 minutes ago, mad said:

Exactly this. 

So that makes it Ok... I don’t wear ball caps of any stripe, simply don’t like them  I’m a bucket/ boonie hat guy. That said my NFL team passed out ball caps occasionally as game day souvenirs. Over the years I had quite a collection, last summer in Ireland and Iceland I left them here and there.

5 hours ago, Somebody Else said:

This guy scores the perfect 10 for "overplayed"...also in a open boat not needing the pom-pom head protection puts him in the cheerleeding league.

That said someone like Jean-Luc Van Den Heede could get away with it.

stock-photo-a-man-with-sunglasses-and-a-funny-sailor-hat-looking-at-the-horizon-with-the-blue-sky-at-the-217968895.jpg

16 hours ago, ROADKILL666 said:

I HAVE ABOUT A DOZEN OR SO LEFT THAT I CAN'T GIVE AWAY!THEY SHOULD HAVE GIVEN OUT SOMTHING MORE USEFUL.

Could you please turn off your caps?

11 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Could you please turn off your caps?

Since the TV broke they are all having trouble finding the right buttons.

15241775882701799746456.jpg.42726971ad7af1df68a119a3cb1f2834.jpg

20 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Since the TV broke they are all having trouble finding the right buttons.

15241775882701799746456.jpg.42726971ad7af1df68a119a3cb1f2834.jpg

Your roommates look tired after all the excitement about real chicken livers in the ice cream.

2 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Your roommates look tired after all the excitement about real chicken livers in the ice cream.

I can’t find my wiener :(

19 hours ago, Somebody Else said:

Fucking douche flat-biller! lol.gif

Hey don't diss the flat brim free hat! The sunglasses my eye doctor gave me fit under it! You know us poor shit box owners are cheap fuckers. 

(FYI White with solid black bill are best)

849227650_Screenshotfrom2018-09-1405-52-38.png.44d2f4ae1878016cd627af2b2ffdf7e7.png

As Bill Bryson explained: Junk (in this case MG caps) has a worth that is proportional  to the distance from whence it came.

21 hours ago, kent_island_sailor said:

I had some ages ago. The red dye faded and turned pink, so I threw them away. Who wants a pink hat? (turns out pink was cool, who knew)

Um, there's a whole industry up in Nantucket/Vineyard area predicated on this... Sturdy cotton that faded, much like the pre-washed denim  market

On 9/12/2018 at 3:03 PM, Snowden said:

What about the Rolex polo shirts with the double stripes around the collars that they hand out for Fastnet, Commodores' Cup etc?

They handed them out for the South China Sea race in '06, and yes; I wear mine.  And the dragon tattoo I got to commemorate it, as well (leaves out long story about Coast Guard & dress blues cuff embroidery & offshore duty stations & resolution made 40+ years ago).  And the Mount Gay hat (dated 1999) got me into the distillery for free, after sailing there from Las Palmas in '09 - but I usually wear the Discovery Bay YC hat (when I wear a hat).

So what's your point?

On 9/12/2018 at 12:44 PM, d'ranger said:

Why do people have boxes of caps? Most can only wear one at a time, so have a backup.  sheesh.  Give em away then you can laugh at them wearing them. 

or just get a life.

This.

I have a couple. I gave one to my wife. She wears it.  

It keeps the sun off my bald head.  If other people think the hat makes me look like a douche, that's their problem, not mine. I'm 62 years old, fat and bald. Me and "cool" parted ways many decades ago.

Thanks for the nice hat, WestPoint Regatta.

• Like 3

BTW, Jean Luc VandenHeede is The Man.  He can wear any fucking hat he wants.

On 9/12/2018 at 10:39 PM, PinkSpinnaker said:

I cannot wear mine as they are not allowed in Jr sailing here, promoting alcohol or some bullshit...

Wow, that's lame. What a crazy nanny state mentality.

On 9/13/2018 at 8:53 AM, Lex Teredo said:

The Mount Gay hats are just backups, and they are rule compliant.

What rule is that? :unsure:

On 9/13/2018 at 3:44 AM, NORBowGirl said:

Now, how about gear with logos from the Volvo? Not veeeeeeery cool, are they? I mean, it just says you DIDN'T do the Volvo.

Yeah, those orange Volvo caps that they give away at every local regatta have become ubiquitous. Everybody and his brother has one.

42 minutes ago, Alan H said:

It keeps the sun off my bald head.  If other people think the hat makes me look like a douche, that's their problem, not mine. I'm 62 years old, fat and bald. Me and "cool" parted ways many decades ago.

The nice thing about aging is freedom from worry about what other people, especially strangers, might think about you (and of course a non-narcicist realizes that few people spend much time thinking about him or her anyway). 

don't like you mt gay hat, ship them to csc dallas, we'll give em out to the special olympic kids.. they'll love them..  they don't give a fuck about what other people think

• Like 3

On 9/13/2018 at 3:23 PM, 1sailor said:

Mount Gay poured millions of dollars into our sport, made many international regattas possible, and we owe them gratitude for that.... be nice people, Mt gay has been good to us.

As evenflow noted (post #54), last year they squandered that goodwill by pulling out their sponsorship of the LO 300 at the last minute. The experience left a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths, and really damaged their reputation.

The rum itself is pedestrian: drinkable, but bland.

23 hours ago, 1sailor said:

Mount Gay poured millions of dollars into our sport activity, made many international regattas possible, and we owe them gratitude for that.    The hats had a cult following for decades.

Sailing is a "sport" for very few. It's mostly an activity. To illustrate the point, walk around a regatta party after a day of sailing with all the middle aged slightly overweight men with red hats on. It's hardly the Olympic Village. :lol:

25 minutes ago, Svanen said:
On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 8:53 AM, Lex Teredo said:

The Mount Gay hats are just backups, and they are rule compliant.

What rule is that? :unsure:

Never sail in a hat or sunglasses that you want to keep.

So I wear shitty hats on the boat, and $20 shades.  I've lost a lot of the shades, will buy a couple pairs at the Naptown Boatshow and Drinkfest.  Haven't lost a hat in years since putting the shittiest hat in my closet into my sail bag.  Paradoxically, I'd hate to lose that hat now, it's been with me quite a while. But whatever. I'm now sworn to not give a shit if the thing decides to go for a mid-race swim. 

I am going to root thru under a bunk for one and wear it on Anarchy tomorrow!

26 minutes ago, stayoutofthemiddle said:

Sailing is a "sport" for very few. It's mostly an activity. To illustrate the point, walk around a regatta party after a day of sailing with all the middle aged slightly overweight men with red hats on. It's hardly the Olympic Village. :lol:

Sailing not a sport? Not sure I understand, is all sailing not a sport or just those who do not compete at the Olympic level? What will you think when you're the slightly overweight, middle-aged guy at the regatta party? While some positions on the boat might not require an abundance of physical activity/agility, they require tactics. These are usually the people who own the boats. Other positions like bowman and grinder do require physical skill and agility and working together with a team against others for entertainment seems to fit the definition of a sport to me.

Try telling golfers their hobby is not a sport.

7 minutes ago, USA 5184 said:

Sailing not a sport? Not sure I understand, is all sailing not a sport or just those who do not compete at the Olympic level? What will you think when you're the slightly overweight, middle-aged guy at the regatta party? While some positions on the boat might not require an abundance of physical activity/agility, they require tactics. These are usually the people who own the boats. Other positions like bowman and grinder do require physical skill and agility and working together with a team against others for entertainment seems to fit the definition of a sport to me.

Try telling golfers their hobby is not a sport.

It's not a sport in the sense that it's hardly exercise as the level that most people sail. You bow guy who is in shape because he went for a 3 mile run in the morning before boat call.

For the same reason, Golf isn't a sport, at most levels of play.

2 hours ago, Svanen said:

As evenflow noted (post #54), last year they squandered that goodwill by pulling out their sponsorship of the LO 300 at the last minute. The experience left a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths, and really damaged their reputation.

The rum itself is pedestrian: drinkable, but bland.

This is not that bland. 

C1C27541-E056-443D-85D6-A220C641B73F.jpeg

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Lex Teredo said:

Never sail in a hat or sunglasses that you want to keep.

So I wear shitty hats on the boat, and $20 shades.  I've lost a lot of the shades, will buy a couple pairs at the Naptown Boatshow and Drinkfest.  Haven't lost a hat in years since putting the shittiest hat in my closet into my sail bag.  Paradoxically, I'd hate to lose that hat now, it's been with me quite a while. But whatever. I'm now sworn to not give a shit if the thing decides to go for a mid-race swim. 

Got it; thanks for clarifying!

I chose to wear nice caps and hats while sailing. If/when I lose one overboard, I’ll be annoyed but it won’t be the end of the world: life is too short to worry about mere possessions (or to wear shitty hats or cheap sunglasses, IMO!). To me, wear and tear, or outright loss, of gear is an acceptable ‘cost of doing business’.

21 hours ago, stayoutofthemiddle said:

Different people have different definitions of what constitutes a sport, and exactly how much competition, physical exertion and organization/rules are necessary. If you believe sailing doesn’t qualify, fine; you’re certainly entitled to that opinion.

FWIW, in my experience the average sailor is not an outstanding physical specimen but is significantly less overweight, and in generally better condition, than the average non-sailor of the same age group. YMMV.

When we moved, I found an early 80s MG sun visor from the SORC I guess, where I discovered the stuff at the Coral Reef Yacht Club's Mountgay party. Red, elastic shot, why was it still there?

As for the rum, spent some months in Bim, and got hooked. Prefer Cockspur, but hey. Now I live in the home of the Route du Rhum, and have to try to enjoy 'ti punch made from rhum agricole. Wish MG would attack the French market ….

Receding hairline, aging skin = wear a cap. If you are too precious to be seen in a Mountgay one, try https://sterkowski.com/caps/19-hamburg-skippers-cap.html  They also have some cracking leather numbers for LB to try. Indeed, every Anarchist will find the perfect cap, made to measure!

On 9/14/2018 at 5:45 PM, Sail4beer said:

This is not that bland. 

C1C27541-E056-443D-85D6-A220C641B73F.jpeg

They don’t give these out either and if you don’t fill them past the red stripe you don’t spill your grog on a beat or run

5C374737-7E34-414D-AABB-2E01803AE895.jpeg

I wish folks would throw those in the water and show up in my box. 

B3876396-634B-4308-BB30-94B5DBB6AE0D.jpeg

The folks who look down on Mt Gay hats usually have a stack of them at home. 

I had a friend like that.  I was round at his house, so I asked him if I could take them.....all of them.  Well he said he would like to keep one. I says "But you think they are so uncool"  but he replies "Yeah but I'd like to keep one". So I agree he could keep one.....but then he wants to keep another, just one other because it has some good memories....then another and another .....

It was like the closing scene of the jerk

So if someone rags on about how uncool the MG hats are....try asking him or her for every MG hat that they own.

1 hour ago, IPLore said:

The folks who look down on Mt Gay hats usually have a stack of them at home. 

I had a friend like that.  I was round at his house, so I asked him if I could take them.....all of them.  Well he said he would like to keep one. I says "But you think they are so uncool"  but he replies "Yeah but I'd like to keep one". So I agree he could keep one.....but then he wants to keep another, just one other because it has some good memories....then another and another .....

It was like the closing scene of the jerk

So if someone rags on about how uncool the MG hats are....try asking him or her for every MG hat that they own.

i've been trying to get someone ,  I'm serious,  new ones only...  those kids think cooties are uncool.. but not hats..

don't like you mt gay hat, ship them to csc dallas, we'll give em out to the special olympic kids.. they'll love them..  they don't give a fuck about what other people think

only 1 Mt Gay Avatar Hat ever seen = Priceless !!!   :o:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:B) 

photo-1861.jpg.8eb09541bc5c03df0341389bd6c77557.jpg

I like hats and kept the first one I got from 1999.   All the ones I got after that I gave to the crew.   Just seemed like the right thing to do.  Some really liked the hats, others could have cared less.  My kids have walked off with most of my regatta T-shirts. 

MG hat from ancient race = cool, esp. if faded to pink and Transpac, or similar race.

2018 local dipsh*t regatta, not so much.

Best ever MG giveaway is the hat leash with nylon MG ribbon and SS alligator clips on each end. Makes it possible to wear a cap long enough for it to get some age on it. 

On 9/13/2018 at 11:26 AM, Tax Man said:

Joe Kool's still the Tigers bar in London?  Been a long time.

You know it!

On 9/13/2018 at 2:08 PM, LionessRacing said:

What if I were to show up wearing a brand new/never been worn red hat from back in the 90's?

4 hours ago, 1215 said:

What if I were to show up wearing a brand new/never been worn red hat from back in the 90's?

Your new nickname will be Rip.

2 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Your new nickname will be Rip.

Over my head. I don't get it. Guess I shouldn't have commented in this thread. 

7 minutes ago, 1215 said:

Over my head. I don't get it. Guess I shouldn't have commented in this thread. 

I think he means as in Rip van winkle. You know the guy who fell asleep for years. If Rip woke up after 10 years and looked on SA he wouldn’t see much change. Same clowns having the same arguments. My two cents is a brand new MG hat from the 90’s would be a great piss take. Well played. And don’t mind jack - he is old.

• Like 1

Yes yes. Got it now. 

Well, I have a pile (18) of old red hats from the 90's and 2000/2001. All stuff I sailed. Maybe I'll start wearing them as a FU to people who think they aren't cool. Because they were probably in diapers when I got those hats :) 

2 minutes ago, 1215 said:

Because they were probably in diapers when I got those hats :) 

dossente meane they our youngue, juste sayeng                               :)

Very true. I don't understand why people think they lose their dignity when they get old. I brought them into this world. I wiped their ass when they were young. They owe it to me to return the favour when I get old. 

"Mount Gay" Great name for a a party drink. 

Is the gauy on the top right wearing a Mount Gay Hat or is he just hopeful?

Boat-Bar-Phuket-gay-bar-main.jpg

On 9/19/2018 at 4:50 PM, equivocator said:

MG hat from ancient race = cool, esp. if faded to pink and Transpac, or similar race.

2018 local dipsh*t regatta, not so much.

Best ever MG giveaway is the hat leash with nylon MG ribbon and SS alligator clips on each end. Makes it possible to wear a cap long enough for it to get some age on it. 

and have a handy roach clip available hidden in the open..

On 9/17/2018 at 1:12 PM, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

i've been trying to get someone ,  I'm serious,  new ones only...  those kids think cooties are uncool.. but not hats..

PO Box 180087, Dallas, TX 75218

surprise me..     

On 9/17/2018 at 12:32 PM, DA-WOODY said:

only 1 Mt Gay Avatar Hat ever seen = Priceless !!!   :o:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:B) 

photo-1861.jpg.8eb09541bc5c03df0341389bd6c77557.jpg

On 9/17/2018 at 1:19 PM, stayoutofthemiddle said:

It may need updated after this thread plays out! :lol:

MGH.png

too soon ?

image.png.0b6214b5c1c7d24f9abcc865d4043fb1.png

I give mine to homeless people- they get a new hat and the parody is priceless... win win

36 minutes ago, USA190520 said:

I give mine to homeless people- they get a new hat and the parody is priceless... win win

Thank you for my new mission. Get every homeless person with a gay hat

On 9/20/2018 at 10:37 AM, 1215 said:

Separation by distance, time and function is the key.

You don't wear this years event swag at this years event unless;

• you are being paid to do so 
  • you are volunteering and it's the uniform of the day
  • you are a member of a team and it's the team's swag 

Wearing previous years that are faded, ripped, stained and otherwise show they are not treated as "treasures" is more credible.

Extra points for rips & stains that have a worthy story.

Giving it to the homeless dude who needs a hat probably the highest use. 

Love the hats, I wear them oldest to newest. Current hat is 2000 Pac cup, when I loose it I move to the next one. 

On 9/12/2018 at 11:08 PM, stayoutofthemiddle said:

Are Mount Gay Rum Hats Cool?

They are simultaneously Cool and Homo.  

• Like 1

Shit.  I need to get one of these stupid hats.  Didn't realize the troll factor involved.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MauiPunter said:

Shit.  I need to get one of these stupid hats.  Didn't realize the troll factor involved.

Don't forget one of these as well.

Image result for hot girl in mount gay rum hat

Nice shirt. Looks like something Batman would make Robin wear on a date. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LB 15 said:

Don't forget one of these as well.

Image result for hot girl in mount gay rum hat

That and my Nantucket Reds.   LOL.

• Like 1

51PpnXMVC0L._SX38_SY50_CR,0,0,38,50_.jpg

On 9/13/2018 at 2:41 PM, Peanut Butter said:

This.

They may seem pointless to the jaded, but I’ll never forget the pride of getting my first one. Skipper of the first boat I’d ever raced one handed it to me in front of the rest of the crew and said, “you can have this only of you promise to join us for the rest of the summer.” 

I grew 10 feet tall that day. 

Exactly what everyone should be doing. Help grow the sport. hint, not done by "I'm too cool for these hats ". another hint : if you think that, you're not. "  What's cool is giving stuff to people who appreciate it. Just gave away a hat last weekend. Saw the guy wearing it all week. Made him happy, made me happy.  

• Like 2

I got a few I saved and never wore from the 80's Ensenada races.
The are in a box somewhere with tons of other hats.

I have collected hats from Vendors and races. 2 big boxes worth.
Some of these companies are gone now.

On 9/24/2018 at 2:51 PM, MauiPunter said:

That aimed at me?

1 minute ago, 1215 said:

That aimed at me?

Not sure.   Do the red hats trigger you?  If not, then no.  If so, then, yup.  :D

14 minutes ago, MauiPunter said:

Not sure.   Do the red hats trigger you?  If not, then no.  If so, then, yup.  :D

No red-hat triggers. I wear the gear the boat owner gave me. 

On 9/13/2018 at 2:09 PM, bloodshot said:

not for nothing, but I can't wear these fancy thick cotton hats anymore, especially not in the heat of summer.

Geez, when was the last time you laid hands on one??  They aint fancy and they aint thick anymore.  My last one from LBRW is Flimsy, small, made in china and i don't think it would make it through 1 regatta let alone enough regattas to make it pink...  If they bring back the originals, well I am down, but these are just unwearable except at the post race party, if you win, in a pinch.  I have a bunch and am saving them to hang over the future bar in the future house I buy, otherwise I will make em into a quilt.  

I received a MG red t shirt at a regatta this year....does that count?

The Votes are In

07n2e1079.JPG

The crew piling into the tender to go for dinner.... see hat in bottom left.IMG_0069.thumb.JPG.cd5074967f56eb71d4fd21832b5f8e03.JPG

There was a time when they were pretty cool. Antigua Race Week in the 80's in particular. Like someone said only the crew that pulled their weight got one but I bet a third would go in the drink on the first days racing. Met an Antiguan kid who would borrow a dinghy and follow the first race in the morning picking up MG hats lost overboard and would go to the evening cocktail party and sell them for a good price. Kid made a killing on those hats.

23 hours ago, 1215 said:

No red-hat triggers. I wear the gear the boat owner gave me. 

Don’t take it personally. 

I just jump at the first chance to abuse people 

75B22CF6-2639-42A3-95DB-E6A506FDFEFF.jpeg

• Like 1