stayoutofthemiddle

Are Mount Gay Rum Hats Cool?

Or are these just for offshore yacht racer newbies and wannabees? 

Personally, I don't like them, and don't wear them. You never/rarely see "good" boats wearing them.

I think back in the 80's/90's whenever they were introduced it was a "thing" to "prove" what events you did... 

Curious what the masses think on this one. Like everything, I'm sure there will be two camps here...

They used to be cool in the 80's and worth money when they only gave one out per boat.  Now you get your regatta bag and there are 10 in there and all of the new people will have them on the morning before the first gun goes off, that's when I stopped wearing them.  I have about 20 of them now but only wear one from the 80's and not near any regatta or sailing bar.

• Like 1

When they're old and pink and tatty and say "Antigua Sailing Week 1981" perhaps.  Otherwise, eBay 'em.

• Like 3

Depends on how you view it. On one hand, it is a participation trophy for the regatta, and at least something crew members get.  On the other hand, sometimes they do not give enough of them in the bag, and the crew that does receive them does earn it as a job well done. Either way, I have too many of them in the closet as I personally do not like red hats.  What would be a better idea, is the top three boats in each fleet receives a different hat which would have more significance. Just my thoughts.

Holy christ, they couldn't be more played out! If you wear one, you might as well have 'douchenozzle' stamped on your forehead. There is a boat here in Dago that my kid nicknamed El Segundo after we beat it, yet again, and i think they all wear those fucking red hats, replete with croakies for their glasses. 

I wonder, do they have any idea what a-holes they look like??

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

They've been a popular subject over the years...

I have shoe boxes full of them... 

They are a great item for newbies to sailing as a token to show they race boats? 

4 minutes ago, Editor said:

Holy christ, they couldn't be more played out! If you wear one, you might as well have 'douchenozzle' stamped on your forehead. There is a boat here in Dago that my kid nicknamed El Segundo after we beat it, yet again, and i think they all wear those fucking red hats, replete with croakies for their glasses. 

And sailing gloves as they are motoring out to the start.

25 minutes ago, stayoutofthemiddle said:

Personally, I don't like them, and don't wear them. You never/rarely see "good" boats wearing them.

I think back in the 80's/90's whenever they were introduced it was a "thing" to "prove" what events you did... 

Curious what the masses think on this one. Like everything, I'm sure there will be two camps here...

:lol:

Why do people have boxes of caps? Most can only wear one at a time, so have a backup.  sheesh.  Give em away then you can laugh at them wearing them. 

or just get a life.

In a way they have become like CBGB/Ramones t shirts, everyone who was there didn't buy the shirt! 

• Like 2

Mount Gay hats are a right of passage like getting that first concert t-shirt.

• Like 3

I'll give you the right of passage, once upon a time. When they were branded with the event, they were kind of a keepsake (if they made it to pink and tattered, a legendary keepsake).

I imagine the people who collect them have them carefully stored in a cool regatta tote bag for preservation.

Once they dropped the event branding on the back, which also coincided with everyone in the world owning 3 per regatta sailed, they became landfill.   

• Like 1

Who gives a rat's ass what someone else has on their head? Go back to Junior High if you do. And say hi to the Ed while you're there.

• Like 16

What about the Rolex polo shirts with the double stripes around the collars that they hand out for Fastnet, Commodores' Cup etc?

8 minutes ago, monsoon said:

Who gives a rat's ass what someone else has on their head? Go back to Junior High if you do. And say hi to the Ed while you're there.

Baseball-cap-girl-273x300.jpg?w=980&q=75

• Like 2

there was a time in the early 2000s when it was very easy to get them. They since scaled back on their sponsorship so they're a little more rare.  I have a bunch but ever since my well-loved 1991 BIRW hat went overboard, I lost the appetite for em.  

It's well known that MG creates demand for the hats, as they intentionally don't give enough hats to the regatta organizer for the number of people expected.  Those who didn't get one, then clamor for one.  Good marketing strategy while saving a few bucks each time - ha!

12 minutes ago, monsoon said:

^^^^^^^^^^^^  Seriously?  People don't have a better subject to waste their time on than discussing users opinions about Mt. Gay hats?  Get a freaking life, fer chrisakes!!!

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Editor said:

Somewhat like MAGA hats. (My Attorney Got Arrested)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Editor said:

Speaking of 'douchenozzles' here's a prime example. Aren't you the one always wondering why sailing isn't growing? It isn't only blue blazer people. 

• Like 13

8 minutes ago, inneedofadvice said:

Speaking of 'douchenozzles' here's a prime example. Aren't you the one always wondering why sailing isn't growing? It isn't only blue blazer people. 

Are you cool if you hijack a lame thread and substitute as a front page "story":wub:

MG have stopped with the Red Hat.  The Red Hat is now Goslings...

5 minutes ago, sail69 said:

MG have stopped with the Red Hat.  The Red Hat is now Goslings...

at least Mt Gay is decent rum!

• Downvote 2

2 minutes ago, Mark Set said:

at least Mt Gay is decent rum!

Each to there own I guess - my personal opinion is that they should sell the hats and give that cats piss away free. 

• Like 3

A good mount gay hat thread is always entertaining. I particularly enjoy all the posts claiming they have hundreds at home because they have done every regatta since the ‘78 onion patch, but would never wear one because only newbies do that. They should make a special edition one for these types with a small hole in the top that the dick on their heads can go through. 

I find the saddest are the ones wearing the tattered pink faded ones from some regatta back in the ‘80s. Now that is crying out for attention...

• Like 7

Their Great, they don’t show blood from massive head trauma.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

I find the saddest are the ones wearing the tattered pink faded ones from some regatta back in the ‘80s. Now that is crying out for attention...

But, but......I was there!!!

I avoid wearing them because the red clashes with my sunburn.  

Was given one last weekend, and it was embroidered with the event.  It's in the bottom of my bag as an emergency backup (or giveaway). Hard to argue with free. 

22 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

A good mount gay hat thread is always entertaining. I particularly enjoy all the posts claiming they have hundreds at home because they have done every regatta since the ‘78 onion patch, but would never wear one because only newbies do that. They should make a special edition one for these types with a small hole in the top that the dick on their heads can go through. 

Agreed.

I said I had an old pink one.  Not that I wear it. 

I also have a shed-load of old sailing T-shirts going back, but don't wear those either.  Partly because they seem to have shrunk, but also it's a bit gauche.  I've had them made into a quilt.

I enjoy your opinions, however.  But again, I don't share too many of them.

Toodle pip, old boy.

• Like 1

My son has a few, never wears them.  The "most valuable" is from the 100th running of the Chi-Mac.

Mine are all in the garage in various stages of disrepair from yard and garden work.

They used to be cool, I always wore the first one I earned as owner/skipper.  Now I wear a matching (with my  asym) red hat with the boat make/model and name on it.

I love love to sucker the snowflakes, because they assume all red hats belong to the same (MAGA) club.  I tell them, no I'm on your side, but I just do this stir up the ignorant on this side of the fence.  They usually take a second to think about that, then shut up.

Payback this week though, my wife wore her favorite teams shirt on Tuesday, which happened to have a Nike swoosh on it and was accosted by the wait staff in our local lunch place. (Sadly I had already paid the tip).  I mean come on, give my wife a break, how many times do Jet fans get to celebrate a blow-out!

2 hours ago, Editor said:

I wonder, do you have any idea what an a-hole you look like?  Attitudes like this is why sailing is dead.  Who gives a fuck?  I wear one sometimes and we win.  I use Croakies too, well Chums, but I'd hate to lose my $200 sunnies.  

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

A good mount gay hat thread is always entertaining.

Is thread about uniform fettishes??..if so I would like to share mine...gloves.

92a76317-4c45-4481-a2c7-9bfe39b78741.jpg

hot-costume-sexy-pilot-airwoman-aviatress-blue-stewardess-women-cosplay-slim-dress-cap-golden-neck-wear.jpg

4 minutes ago, P_Wop said:

Agreed.

I also have a shed-load of old sailing T-shirts going back, but don't wear those either.  Partly because they seem to have shrunk, but also it's a bit gauche.  I've had them made into a quilt.

Toodle pip, old boy.

I too am a shocking hoarder. But I do pull out old crew shirts out for reunions. Like all good royal clubs we have a no hats in the bar rule and a no mount gay cap past the front gate rule. Only Chas can pull of the tattered Mt Gay hat look IMHO. 

Enjoy your day old bean.

Its simple - they are free hats. I lose a lot of them, and don't really give a shit which ones I lose. and if someone wants to give me a new, clean hat, so be it.

I used to sail on a lime green boat - everyone asked how i could do that - answer was simple, it wasn't ME that had to look at it.

Now, as for those Sailing Anarchy hats/shirts/etc -somebody expects us to actually pay for that crap.?!.....

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, Swimsailor said:

I wear one sometimes and we win.  

I am going to call Jimmy Buffett.  He might like write a song about you. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Rum Runner said:

My hat got me into the Mt Gay factory tour for free. I won't turn that down.

I always wondered how they got it into the bottles.

C8A3B960-CBC5-4D0A-B9CB-83EECCBB5919.jpeg

20 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Only Chas can pull of the tattered Mt Gay hat look IMHO.

If Chas looks like he's wearing something that's been even slightly cleaned this century, that's a serious win.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, P_Wop said:

When they're old and pink and tatty and say "Antigua Sailing Week 1981" perhaps.  Otherwise, eBay 'em.

That would be cool since they only started giving them out in 1986. I’ve got like 45 regattas worth of them in a big bag dating back to 1989. Have never worn one, they’ll go to Goodwill someday I guess. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BobC said:

That would be cool since they only started giving them out in 1986. I’ve got like 45 regattas worth of them in a big bag dating back to 1989. Have never worn one, they’ll go to Goodwill someday I guess. 

Sorry.  It was either 1976 or 1977, on Galleon Beach.  Don "Squeaky" Street and Ken McKenzie convinced MG to do it for ASW.

JTLYK

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BobC said:

You should read a thread before posting and watch where you are walking. Both will stop you tripping over your dick.

In '94 I rocked that years Swiftsure one for my HS senior picture in the yearbook. Admins didnt realize MtGay was booze.  I only have one left now and have converted it into a visor. The Rolex hats met the same fate as a converted visor. 

There is a nostalgia about them for me. 

I've given most of mine away over the years, usually to out of town friends we take sailing. Helped an old sailing buddy move a few weeks ago and he pulled this baby out - seems they do have life beyond the pink stage - not much of a life, but a life nonetheless...

As a side note, I was in Barbados a couple of years ago and was somewhat fascinated by the variety of old salty red/pink hats that folks were sporting from sailing events all over the place. Had to ask a handful where they were from as some of the events I had never heard of.

Mt Gay.jpg

• Like 1

El Segundo?!  You won a couple beer can races and you’re some kind of effing hero sneering at the little people who came in second? And a fashion critic to boot. Hats off to you. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, P_Wop said:

Sorry.  It was either 1976 or 1977, on Galleon Beach.  Don "Squeaky" Street and Ken McKenzie convinced MG to do it for ASW.

JTLYK

http://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2016/04/08/how-mt-gay-rum-became-an-international-brand/

I was just a boy back then and I gave away every red hat I ever got at a regatta 

I look like enough of a dick without one

There are just fine.  They did cheap out two years ago and stopped providing them for regattas and races on Lake Ontario, so we stopped buying their rum.  We drink Pussers now and we keep getting ask where those hats came from. They are becoming valued up here - strange.  They will lose an entire generation of rum drinkers soon.  

• Like 1

I have about a dozen in the box. Throw them in the water when you first get it as that is where it will wind up.

Sail Safe 

I am very proud of my red hats, all from my first big keel boat events. The first timers on the boat get red hat priority. Although I cannot wear mine as they are not allowed in Jr sailing here, promoting alcohol or some bullshit...

• Like 2

7 hours ago, stayoutofthemiddle said:

I'd kill you for my dozen or so...

I wish I had known that mt gay hats upset people this much.  Gonna dig some up.  

• Like 5

They are cool. Whenever I see one, I look at the year and event named on the hat and get jealous. That's what marketing people call a success. 

I do remember the urban legend about selling Key West versions on eBay. I'm sure there have been some sold. I wonder what the price record is and if the seller had to sign a non disclosure.

7 hours ago, VWAP said:

Baseball-cap-girl-273x300.jpg?w=980&q=75

That’s an outstanding pair of hats right there. 

There was a collection of old Mt Gay caps in a locked glass cabinet behind the bar at the now gone Marmadukes in Annapolis.

I uses to have an APS hat with a faded gray skull pattern. Can't remember where I left it, probably in a duffel in the basement.

4 hours ago, LB 15 said:

You should read a thread before posting and watch where you are walking. Both will stop you tripping over your dick.

Try asking Mt Gay, I did. 

3 hours ago, Kellettburger said:

El Segundo?!  

sounds awful close to ......................

well if I have Nothing nice to say

I'll just say nothing about the whanker 

6 hours ago, P_Wop said:

Agreed.

Toodle pip, old boy.

Hmmm, Odd. My old sailing T-shirts appear to have shrunk too!

• Like 1

Mt. Gay Rum hats, Laughing Polar Bear hats..... All pretenders to the "The PUB LIGHT is ON!" hat....

That hat had some serious gravitas....

Yes they are.

You can have mine when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

My dad told me to always wear a rain coat nothing about a hat even in the summer

I don't understand wearing baseball caps while sailing, period.

Wearing a hat to shade the tops of the ears and back of the neck from excessive sun: Oh! The baseball caps don't do that.
Wearing a hat that lets you see sail trim up high: Baseball caps block your vision upward. Crane your neck, rubberneck!
Wearing a cap that blows off your head the first time to tilt your head back: That's a good argument for wearing a disposable MG cap. Who cares if you lose it overboard?

• Like 2

2006leg4_7.jpg

IMG_3277-e1510732295368.jpg

They are only cool when they have faded to the equivalent weathered shade of Breton red(Salmon?) worn by the old crusty guys that present the awards at Off Soundings. You need to get one at Block Island race week(June) and tie it to a dock and leave it to weather until Fall Off Soundings(Sept). If you are seen in public, (especially at the Mystic River Mudhead Wednesday night summer series) with a red hat you are a wanker of the highest regard.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, CaptainAhab said:

They are only cool when they have faded to the equivalent weathered shade of Breton red(Salmon?) worn by the old crusty guys that present the awards at Off Soundings. You need to get one at Block Island race week(June) and tie it to a dock and leave it to weather until Fall Off Soundings(Sept). If you are seen in public, (especially at the Mystic River Mudhead Wednesday night summer series) with a red hat you are a wanker of the highest regard.  

20 yrs ago when they were a sponsor, KWRW had a contest for the most worn hat.  A friend won It two years in a row.  His hat sucked and he had a large personality.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, P_Wop said:

They are yellow now. At least it was when I went, two years ago ;)

I never wear hats anyway, I prefer visors. If they gave out visors, I'd wear them, no matter how it looks. 

Now, how about gear with logos from the Volvo? Not veeeeeeery cool, are they? I mean, it just says you DIDN'T do the Volvo. I got a visor and a fleece from a friend and I actually wear both.....but hey, I'm so cool anyway. 

Haha :)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, P_Wop said:

Agreed.

Toodle pip, old boy.

I make a point of not wearing sailing shirts at regattas, especially since the advent of sponsors selling logo’d up team gear. 

You sail the boat, you get the gear. Buying it is bullshit. People that wander around in team Volvo gear etc, wannabe wankers. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Swimsailor said:

I wonder, do you have any idea what an a-hole you look like?  Attitudes like this is why sailing is dead.  Who gives a fuck?  I wear one sometimes and we win.  I use Croakies too, well Chums, but I'd hate to lose my $200 sunnies.  

Anybody got that picture of the Ed wearing an SA cap? 

7 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

There was a collection of old Mt Gay caps in a locked glass cabinet behind the bar at the now gone Marmadukes in Annapolis.

What happened to marmadukes? Have fond and slightly hazy memories of that place. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mad said:

I make a point of not wearing sailing shirts at regattas, especially since the advent of sponsors selling logo’d up team gear. 

You sail the boat, you get the gear. Buying it is bullshit. People that wander around in team Volvo gear etc, wannabe wankers. 

My Volvo gear is not team branded....just general Volvo and clean ocean stuff, that the volunteers used in the race villages. Is that less wankerish?  :)  But I actually helped move the boat in Gothenburg so I might be entitled to wear team gear.... 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NORBowGirl said:

My Volvo gear is not team branded....just general Volvo and clean ocean stuff, that the volunteers used in the race villages. Is that less wankerish?  :)  But I actually helped move the boat in Gothenburg so I might be entitled to wear team gear.... 

Only slightly :P

• Like 1

minor point - it's a cap, not a hat.  as in ball cap.  First worn in Brooklyn 1860. 

Thanks.  If everyone on the boat matches and isn't kicking butt they are dorks. 

I HAVE ABOUT A DOZEN OR SO LEFT THAT I CAN'T GIVE AWAY!THEY SHOULD HAVE GIVEN OUT SOMTHING MORE USEFUL.

14 hours ago, captnjoe said:

I mean come on, give my wife a break, how many times do Jet fans get to celebrate a blow-out!

You guys get the opportunity to celebrate a blowout of a Jets game 7 or 8 times a season, most years. 

10 hours ago, SailRacer said:

I have about a dozen in the box. Throw them in the water when you first get it as that is where it will wind up.

Sail Safe 

That’s amazing! I can throw a hat in the water and it appears in your box?!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mad said:

What happened to marmadukes? Have fond and slightly hazy memories of that place. 

Long gone. I think it became a Ruth's Chris steak place. 

I lose hats.  Getting free hats to lose is better than buying hats to lose.  Don't really care what's on them.

Still waiting for someone to hand out free (decent) sunglasses.

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

I keep the ones from the events we've won.  put them in the case with the trophy.  have a 2017 KWRW that I'll likely keep in memoriam.

1 hour ago, mad said:

Prett sure the Ruth's Chris is in the old Marmaduke's location.  The Boatyard has a Mount Gay hat collection.  Not sure if they bought or inherited that from Duke's or built their own.  I like the Boatyard, the food is always quite good and it is as homey as a sort of clean, upscale place can be for a shitty smelling post-race sailor, but it's a better place to take people who are showered up and in nice clothes.  Most of the time I'd rather get my drink on at Davis'.  That place is comfy like an old sweatshirt.

As for hats... who cares. I lost so many the first few years sailing (as a sufferer of Degenerate Adult Onset Sailing Disorder) that I vowed to only wear hats I wouldn't mind seeing blown off and floating away.  The Mount Gay hats are free, and they don't look bad when faded. My mainstay hat is an NRA freebie that was the first one employed under my "don't wear a hat you would be upset about losing" doctrine.  Suffice to say I've raced with it maybe 6-7 years, the thing blows off and catches on the backstay hydraulics, on the checkstay rigging, whatever.  It's like a stray dog hanging around, I cant seem to lose that raggedy ass, faded lid.   The Mount Gay hats are just backups, and they are rule compliant... wouldn't cry if they went swimming.  I'd never get on somebody about their hat.  You'd have to be a real douche to do that. I have a guy who is new to sailing and racing, in his second year, turning into a really useful crew.  He wears a couple raggedy ass trucker caps that he probably got from work.  I don't think he gives a shit. I like that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NaptimeAgain said:

Long gone. I think it became a Ruth's Chris steak place. 

Is Chick and Ruth’s still running? 

2 minutes ago, mad said:

Is Chick and Ruth’s still running? 

Yep.