random

Invictus Games: Good thing or war propaganda?

I'm not sure. what do you think?

"The Invictus Games is an international adaptive multi-sport event, created by Prince Harry, in which wounded, injured or sick armed services personnel and their associated veterans take part in sports including wheelchair basketball, sitting volleyball, and indoor rowing.[1] Named after Invictus, Latin for "unconquered" or "undefeated", the event was inspired by the Warrior Games, a similar event held in the United States. The first Invictus Games took place in March 2014 at the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park in London, United Kingdom. "

Invited countries

All 14 countries from the 2014 Games were invited back, while Jordan was the only new invitee.[32]

Good thing. The fuckers that the cunts send off to be shot at need something to keep their minds off the cunts that send them off to get shot at.

• Like 1

Good thread Randumb. I agree it is just a conspiracy to make going off to fight in a war look really attractive to young people. After all Price Harry is just another rich white cunt. I bet he has never even met a person with dark skin.

2 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Good thread Randumb. I agree it is just a conspiracy to make going off to fight in a war look really attractive to young people. After all Price Harry is just another rich white cunt. I bet he has never even met a person with dark skin.

No he only married one......

Just now, Sidecar said:

No he only married one......

Good point. Not much gets past you...

• Like 1

Para Sailing Worlds in Sheboygan WI hosted by Sail Sheboygan this week. 2.4s from all over the world shipped in. GER was on a pair of practicing boats in the harbor as we left the our Wed nite romp.

Yeah, I get it that there is somewhere for them to compete.  But wasn't that what the Para Olympics are for?

Having another para Olympics just for vets, smacks of glorification, using them to promote the invasions that were and are to come.

Edit: Oh, and even worse, the invitation list is a little bit one-sided, don't you think?

33 minutes ago, random said:

Yeah, I get it that there is somewhere for them to compete.  But wasn't that what the Para Olympics are for?

Having another para Olympics just for vets, smacks of glorification, using them to promote the invasions that were and are to come.

Edit: Oh, and even worse, the invitation list is a little bit one-sided, don't you think?

You are a fuckwit to suggest anybody is glorifying invasions, carnage or human suffering.  Are YOU that sick????

32 minutes ago, random said:

Here is an idea. Why don't you drive out to Enoggera Barracks this afternoon and tell the SAS unit that you think holding the games for their wounded returned comrades is glorifying war. Chances are that you will then qualify to compete in the next Para Olympics yourself, but I am not sure if they have a 'cannon shoved up arse' category.

Congratulations. You are now officially the complete Fuckwit.

• Like 2

Geeez he's an offensive cunt. (Random I mean) Quite unhinged... Imagine waking up every morning and seeing shit that isn't there all the time...

So why don't they just go in the Para Olympics?

What will it be next?  Games for injured Bull Riders?  How about games for Ambo's recovering from opiate addiction?

No, we need something to counter the sad fact that most countries are not supporting ex-military well at all so they roll out something shiny.  "We need some Royalty to front this one ... who is available?"

Sickening how the masses just sick it up like the good little serfs that they are.

feudalism.jpeg?anchor=center&mode=crop&w

What do these games glorify Randy Pandy?  

Image result for gay games

32 minutes ago, random said:

So why don't they just go in the Para Olympics?

What will it be next?  Games for injured Bull Riders?  How about games for Ambo's recovering from opiate addiction?

No, we need something to counter the sad fact that most countries are not supporting ex-military well at all so they roll out something shiny.  "We need some Royalty to front this one ... who is available?"

Sickening how the masses just sick it up like the good little serfs that they are.

feudalism.jpeg?anchor=center&mode=crop&w

Image result for JOINT ROLLING COMPETITION

3 hours ago, LB 15 said:

Congratulations. You (randumb) are now officially the complete Fuckwit.

Dude!  He's been SA's official fuckwit for years now.  

8 hours ago, LB 15 said:

Yeah, because nothing glorifies and sells war like seeing a bunch of people missing limbs.  More randumb fail.

1 minute ago, Shootist Jeff said:

Dude!  He's been SA's official fuckwit for years now.  

He and Nailing Jack have been fighting it out for the title but he has definitely pulled ahead with this thread. Might be time for another biggest asshole competition but we could make this an all stars event and go straight to the final two. They were the finalist last time I think.

11 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

He and Nailing Jack have been fighting it out for the title but he has definitely pulled ahead with this thread. Might be time for another biggest asshole competition but we could make this an all stars event and go straight to the final two. They were the finalist last time I think.

It may be time to dust that competition off again.  Maybe have some other categories as well, like: Biggest attention whore, funniest, best authentic western frontier gibberish, Biggest stick up their ass, most angry, most pedantic, etc.

I would even suggest we structure it this time as an U.S. vs the World.  Start with a US only bracket and an international bracket and the winners meet in the final.  

Looks like the injured veterans agee with Random

Veterans warn of Invictus Games ‘optics’ overshadowing real issues

Disabled veterans from 17 countries will gather in Toronto this weekend to compete in the Invictus Games. And while it’s an exciting opportunity for participants, for some veterans it’s a slew of photo-ops and misleading optics.

Aaron Bedard is a veterans advocate and an adviser on the Veterans Affairs Mental Health Advisory Group who’s also involved in a class action lawsuit involving disabled soldiers who have received low settlements under the New Veterans Charter. He said he doesn’t want to take away from the positive aspects of the games but insisted he “unfortunately has to show the flip side of the Invictus Games.”

“The optics of the Invictus Games – as fantastic as it is for individual competitors – there’s still thousands and thousands out there who are not getting that opportunity. It creates optics that give the impression that, ‘Wow they spent [millions] on veterans.’ Yeah, not everybody,” said Bedard.

Bedard doesn’t appear to be alone in his concerns. Last week Robert Smol, a teacher and former longtime member of the Canadian Armed Forces wrote an op-ed for the CBC. Smol wrote, “The assumption among many civilians is that veterans like me should be entirely behind these games. Well, that’s not entirely the case.”

Smol’s view is that while the games are a source of pride and a symbol of perseverance for participating veterans, they also give the impression that every veteran has the capabilities of the participants, and that’s not the case.

“The issue is particularly sensitive in Canada — this year’s Invictus host — where successive governments have spent the last 12 years trying to divest or delay their legal and financial responsibilities to care for today’s younger disabled veterans,” wrote Smol.

"War propaganda?!"  Fuck you're an idiot.

A bunch of young guys who have lost arms, legs, sight as well as friends through no fault of their own, serving their country. Brave fuckers trying to get on with life, and have a bit of fun and competition in a nice place. Prince Harry should sponsor contestants with pre-paid vouchers for drinks and hookers.

24 minutes ago, Happy said:

"War propaganda?!"  Fuck you're an idiot.

A bunch of young guys who have lost arms, legs, sight as well as friends through no fault of their own, serving their country. Brave fuckers trying to get on with life, and have a bit of fun and competition in a nice place. Prince Harry should sponsor contestants with pre-paid vouchers for drinks and hookers.

They should never have been injured.

So who was going to invade their home countries?

12 hours ago, random said:

They should never have been injured.

Random old son, I'll let you in to a sad secret that all us grown-ups know: Sometimes bad stuff happens.

Puppies get hit by cars, little birdies get eaten by cats, not everybody is a nice person, fights break out, innocent people get hurt and killed.

Good stuff also happens, like somebody giving a shit about injured/maimed young servicemen and women, and organizing something that gives them fun and self-respect.

God knows the governments that sent them in harm's way do damn little for them when they return physically and mentally broken. 

7 minutes ago, Happy said:

God knows the governments that sent them in harm's way do damn little for them when they return physically and mentally broken.

One of my main points exactly.  The other one being that they have had their lives altered attacking other people for no good reason.

All that has happened is that each of the countries are now more likely to have a terrorist attack with in them.  No one is safer as a result.

Further, many of those people signed up for a job, they didn't sign up to sacrifice their lives or even a limb.

The games must cost a squillion, while most of the injured people not there suffer in their homes or go mad  and broke trying to sue the government for some fair compensation for what happened to them,

The games are a charade and a PR stunt, playing on the desperation people still looking for meaning in their new life.  After the games are over they will return to their rentals and start wrtiting letters to their local members asking for assistance, and get ignored.

Maybe world leaders will see articles about the Games and see fine young men and women who have been grievously injured in war and give it a second thought next time they want to send people into harm's way.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, random said:

One of my main points exactly.  The other one being that they have had their lives altered attacking other people for no good reason.

All that has happened is that each of the countries are now more likely to have a terrorist attack with in them.  No one is safer as a result.

Further, many of those people signed up for a job, they didn't sign up to sacrifice their lives or even a limb.

The games must cost a squillion, while most of the injured people not there suffer in their homes or go mad  and broke trying to sue the government for some fair compensation for what happened to them,

The games are a charade and a PR stunt, playing on the desperation people still looking for meaning in their new life.  After the games are over they will return to their rentals and start wrtiting letters to their local members asking for assistance, and get ignored.

Naturally no one wants to get wounded but one would expect that it isn’t outside of the realm of possibility that it may happen when one signs up to go to war. Just like when you embarked on your stellar career in road building you must have understood that the odd bitumen burn could happen. After all, laying asphalt is hell.

44 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Naturally no one wants to get wounded but one would expect that it isn’t outside of the realm of possibility that it may happen when one signs up to go to war.

Uh huh, so who was Australia at war with?

57 minutes ago, random said:

Uh huh, so who was Australia at war with?

With your Google skills I am sure you can figure it out. You might want to search what 'Deranged piece of shit' means at the same time.

Why the fuck would you attack wounded servicemen and women? You really are losing the plot at the moment. Why don't you take one of your often requested self bans for a little while? You really need to get up from the key board and sniff the air for a while princess.

• Like 1

if I was a war shattered vet, I'd probably be way too tweaked with bitterness to even think about participating in what I'd see as not much more than a meat pageant, I'd be hard pressed to take a paper cut for 'my cuntry' unless the reasons were noble.

but, if it gives some comfort from their pain, that's plenty of reason to hold something like these 'games'.

8 hours ago, random said:

One of my main points exactly.  The other one being that they have had their lives altered attacking other people for no good reason any reasons that I approve of.

FIFY.  Have you taken up your beef with your own gov't since they also attacked Afghanistan and are still there to this day?

That's not completely true.  Every member who signed up knew there was a possibility of losing life or limb.  Its why military service is not just a "job".   

For once in your life, stop being such a cunt.  You are dead wrong on this issue.  Shit happens, wars happen, people get hurt.  Do you honestly think some young kid is going to look at the Invictus Games and think to him or herself:  "Hey those games look like some kick ass fun!  I'm going to march my ass down to the recruitment station and sign up so hopefully I get my legs blow off so I can compete in the 4x100 Wheelchair relay.

Douche!

15 minutes ago, 3to1 said:

I'd be hard pressed to take a paper cut for 'my cuntry' unless the reasons were truly noble.

I'm honestly curious because I don't understand this mentality or attitude...... why do you feel you owe so little to your country (the US I presume)?  And what would be a noble reason?  And how would you judge the reason was noble or worthwhile until it was well underway or complete???  

Please don't take this as a slam or a baited hook.  I'm genuinely interested in understanding this attitude.  Because it sounds like you are not fond of your "cuntry" or care about it unless there is something in it for you or that the cuntry could prove beforehand that your effort or sacrifice was worthwhile.  So help me understand that.  Thanks in advance.

fair question. I'll try to formulate a better answer later.

3 minutes ago, 3to1 said:

fair question. I'll try to formulate a better answer later.

Cool, thanks.

6 hours ago, LB 15 said:

With your Google skills I am sure you can figure it out. You might want to search what 'Deranged piece of shit' means at the same time.

Why the fuck would you attack wounded servicemen and women? You really are losing the plot at the moment. Why don't you take one of your often requested self bans for a little while? You really need to get up from the key board and sniff the air for a while princess.

They were maimed for the wrong reasons.

This guy knew shit, and he had the guts to tell it like it is.  Nothing has changed and people continue to be killed and maimed for life for criminal reasons;

Smedley Darlington Butler (July 30, 1881 – June 21, 1940) was a United States Marine Corps major general, the highest rank authorized at that time, and at the time of his death the most decorated Marine in U.S. history. During his 34-year career as a Marine, he participated in military actions in the Philippines, China, in Central America and the Caribbean during the Banana Wars, and France in World War I. Butler later became an outspoken critic of U.S. wars and their consequences, as well as exposing the Business Plot, an alleged plan to overthrow the U.S. government.

I spent 33 years and four months in active military service and during that period I spent most of my time as a high class muscle man for Big Business, for Wall Street and the bankers. In short, I was a racketeer, a gangster for capitalism. I helped make Mexico and especially Tampico safe for American oil interests in 1914. I helped make Haiti and Cuba a decent place for the National City Bank boys to collect revenues in. I helped in the raping of half a dozen Central American republics for the benefit of Wall Street. I helped purify Nicaragua for the International Banking House of Brown Brothers in 1902–1912. I brought light to the Dominican Republic for the American sugar interests in 1916. I helped make Honduras right for the American fruit companies in 1903. In China in 1927 I helped see to it that Standard Oil went on its way unmolested. Looking back on it, I might have given Al Capone a few hints. The best he could do was to operate his racket in three districts. I operated on three continents.

So now we have games that tell people who have lost, that they actually won, and are suffering for a good cause.

Complete and utter bullshit.

48 minutes ago, random said:

Complete and utter bullshit.

Fuck I love this place.

3 hours ago, 3to1 said:

if I was a war shattered vet, I'd probably be way too tweaked with bitterness to even think about participating in what I'd see as not much more than a meat pageant, I'd be hard pressed to take a paper cut for 'my cuntry' unless the reasons were noble.

but, if it gives some comfort from their pain, that's plenty of reason to hold something like these 'games'.

may have something to do with camaraderie..just sayin'

Better a public event than hiding the injured away.

I don't for a minute think it's about "patriotism" simply a nice gesture that those who served, for whatever reason, are acknowledged as people who still have lives, compete, have beers with their mates and prolly think Harry is a wanker :) 

44 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

may have something to do with camaraderie..just sayin'

Ah yes, camaraderie, how distracting.  Then they can go back to their homes and cry from phantom pain.

"Just FUCKING say"?  You caught something from JB?

5 minutes ago, random said:

Ah yes, camaraderie, how distracting.  Then they can go back to their homes and cry from phantom pain.

"Just FUCKING say"?  You caught something from JB?

You are such a emotionally retarded idiot.  The RSL is just a distraction? Or is/was it a support network? The Club's just somewhere to get blotto on the cheap? One of the greatest handicaps to the emotional well being of returned servicemen is loneliness, emotional and community  isolation.. Maybe you could trot off to your local RSL and tell a few amputees or PTSD sufferers what   you think of these games..You Stupid Patronising Shithead..fucking grow UP.

You can Dis Governments for getting involved in stupid wars.

You can point out that those men and women were sent for something you (or I for that matter) think was illegal.

What you don't get to do is disrespect those that are CONTRACTED to train to DEFEND YOU AND ME..but in doing so, don't get to pick and choose where they go...unlike you and your little contracts THEY GET GAOLED for breach.

1 minute ago, Shortforbob said:

What you don't get to do is disrespect those that are CONTRACTED to train to DEFEND YOU AND ME.

Sooooo ... ah ... who is attacking me?

Last time I checked our Military actions in the middle east made us a target.  Bali anyone?

Got anything else?

9 minutes ago, random said:

Sooooo ... ah ... who is attacking me?

Last time I checked our Military actions in the middle east made us a target.  Bali anyone?

Got anything else?

And as I said, which you neatly ducked, is they join up to defend YOU..how that defence is interpreted is out of their hands...Maybe we should just go like Switzerland and ALL have to do defence training..thats right..get up off your fat arse and be trained to defend your own place..and have a huge reserve ready for action...would you agree?..I would.

But until that happens, we have what we have..respect those that WOULD be called to die for you no matter what a worthless POS you may be.

The Swiss Armed Forces (German: Schweizer Armee,French: Armée suisse, Italian: Esercito svizzero, Romanisch: Armada svizra) operates on land, in the air, and in international waters. Under the country's militia system, professional soldiers constitute about 5 percent[citation needed]of the military and the rest are conscripts or volunteers aged 19 to 34 (in some cases up to 50). Because of Switzerland's long history of neutrality, the armed forces do not take part in conflicts in other countries, but it does participate in international peacekeeping missions. Switzerland is part of the NATO Partnership for Peace programme.[4] 

The structure of the Swiss militia system stipulates that the soldiers keep their own personal equipment, including all personally assigned weapons, at home (until 2007 this also included ammunition[5]). Compulsory military service applies to all male Swiss citizens, with women serving voluntarily. Males usually receive initial orders at the age of 18 for military conscription eligibility screening. About two-thirds of young Swiss men are found suitable for service, while alternative service exists for those found unsuitable.[6]Annually, approximately 20,000 persons are trained in basic training for 18 weeks (23 weeks for special forces).

When these folks no longer have to follow orders, I’ll no longer think that they are entitled to anything that helps them back to one piece mentally and physically after the war crazy bald heads send them to war. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

And as I said, which you neatly ducked, i

Who is attacking my country?  Nice duck BTW.

3 minutes ago, random said:

Who is attacking my country?  Nice duck BTW.

Bludger.

5 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

When these folks no longer have to follow orders, I’ll no longer think that they are entitled to anything that helps them back to one piece mentally and physically after the war crazy bald heads send them to war. 

Have a Freddo frog :)

Image result for freddo frog

22 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

Bludger.

So you got nothing.

Let me know when you work out who is attacking my country.

38 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Best thing they can do to help them is to provide adequate assistance to them, the hundreds on millions spent on a media whitewashing games, would be better spent helping people too fucked up to play.

13 minutes ago, random said:

So you got nothing.

Let me know when you work out who is attacking my country.

that's easy..you are.

4 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

that's easy..you are.

Must be so scary.