random

Human survival cannot be left to politicians. We're losing our life support systems

Human survival cannot be left to politicians. We're losing our life support systems

Population growth and the economic system

Like climate change, the key facilitators of biodiversity loss are population growth and the economic system, which ignore the finite nature of planetary resources.

August 1 this year was the date by which humanity used its 2018 world resources (defined as carbon, food, water, fibre, land and timber).

Each year the world eats its future earlier than the previous year.

When medical researcher Jonas Salk discovered the Salk Vaccine for polio, it prevented hundreds of thousands of deaths throughout the world.

His work on viruses gave him a deep understanding of the natural world.

He warned "if all insects on Earth disappeared, within 50 years all life on Earth would end. If all human beings disappeared from the Earth, within 50 years all forms of life would flourish".

Eighty years later, scientists understand these words, but governments do not.

• Like 1

Malthus made the same prediction over 200 years ago.

Too fucking late now. 

Oh well, it’s only humans, the cockroaches can have a go next. 

"Anyone who believes in infinite economic growth on a finite planet is either a madman, or an economist". David Attenborough

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Dog said:

Malthus made the same prediction over 200 years ago.

And he is still correct.

42 minutes ago, random said:

And he is still correct.

He hasn't been right in 200 years. In fact calories per person on planet earth has only gone up.

Randy, you are an alarmist but please give us new stuff to worry about. TIA

32 minutes ago, Dog said:

He hasn't been right in 200 years. In fact calories per person on planet earth has only gone up.

So he underestimated and it is going to be even worse?

1 hour ago, Dog said:

ComradeDog.thumb.jpg.b7bbc9fa267fd1ed4a4d781fa2c07680.jpg

On the bright side of things, it’ll stop Random sitting in mums basement making memes all day long. 

• Like 3

This thread needs graphs !
I just love it when Randummy is being all serious about climate change 

I've been saying for years now here that the best thing that could happen is if a plague wiped out about 6.9 billion of our current population overnight.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ModernViking said:

This thread needs graphs !
I just love it when Randummy is being all serious about climate change 

how much pollution and discharge did you emit today? 

16 minutes ago, Shootist Jeff said:

I've been saying for years now here that the best thing that could happen is if a plague wiped out about 6.9 billion of our current population overnight.  

Is that your estimate of the black, brown and yellow ones?

Well you did try to thin out the brown ones in that shipping container you used to drive.

10 hours ago, random said:

"if all insects on Earth disappeared, within 50 years all life on Earth would end. If all human beings disappeared from the Earth, within 50 years all forms of life would flourish".

Fuck he is right! Normally I swat any flies I see but about 6 hours ago I just shooed one out the window and the sea level has already dropped by over two metres! But i just went to the supermarket and they still have plenty of food there so the prediction that we have eaten all of this years food over a month ago can't be right.

But Randumb did find this study on the internet so it must be true.

8 hours ago, Dog said:

over farming, over fishing, over fkg everything. maybe that's what you're getting at.

22 minutes ago, Shootist Jeff said:

With my dear Fathers passing a month ago the worlds supply of Johnnie Walker blue lable is now sustainable. However my Brother and I drank his last bottle at his wake yesterday and I feel like I have the plague today.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, random said:

Is that your estimate of the black, brown and yellow ones?

Well you did try to thin out the brown ones in that shipping container you used to drive.

all with a joy stick.

They weren't all brown.

16 minutes ago, Shootist Jeff said:

They weren't all brown.

Must have been really scary, you know, in case they tried to down your shipping container.

Did you get a bravery medal?

Check out the Chinese execution video, these guys didn't get a trial either.  Difference is that the executioner had the guts to be there and do it.

You didn't.

3 hours ago, 3to1 said:

Thank you for your interest.
So far I have not eaten any meat today, and I took the bike to work this morning.
So I'm quite good thanks.
You?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ModernViking said:

Thank you for your interest.
So far I have not eaten any meat today, and I took the bike to work this morning.
So I'm quite good thanks.
You?

ok, kudos for your efforts then, I actually did the same myself.

4 hours ago, 3to1 said:

I'll let you know after my coffee.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LB 15 said:

With my dear Fathers passing a month ago the worlds supply of Johnnie Walker blue lable is now sustainable. However my Brother and I drank his last bottle at his wake yesterday and I feel like I have the plague today.

One of my best friends died a few years back and left me with 2 cases of Inner Circle Director's Special dark rum (78% ethanol) to work my way through. We were planning on working our way through it while sailing in the new boat off Rockhampton. I think I'll be cursing Roger in the morning for many years yet.

FKT

3 hours ago, 3to1 said:

ok, kudos for your efforts then, I actually did the same myself.

It was no effort, and I am not fooling myself by thinking that any of my actions will influence anything on any significant scale.
That my personal CO2 footprint is very small compared to most, is just a coincidence.
I am absolutely not serious about GW. If I was, I would be spending the majority of my time thinking about, and implementing methods to mitigate the problem on a global scale.
I don't, and neither does anyone else here.
Randumb is posting gif's on an increasing number of threads he create on the topic, and thinking he is being serious about GW.
He is not.

7 hours ago, LB 15 said:

Check with Sol, it might be Ebola.

8 hours ago, Shootist Jeff said:

Would you be lucky enough to be one of the 0.8 billion who survived?

And yeah, I get that you're joking, but the whole idea of overpopulation is about as current as parachute pants and Grand Funk Railroad. The Earth isn't overpopulated by any meaningful measurement, and the growth rate is actually plummeting, it's now down to 1.09%, and it's negative in a lot of countries.

Back when the world's population was actually 0.8 billion, the economy, medicine and population distributions were different. If we did have some kind of mass extinction of people, the remaining ones would probably die out too, or at minimum, most of human culture would disappear, who has time for Kafka, Better Call Saul and particle physics when the remnants of humanity are suddenly forced to work outside all day just to have enough food and medicine to keep their children alive?

And that the amusing truth of the overpopulation boffins, they sit at a computer, sip a latte made from a bean shipped 10,000 miles, and take medicine, all of which are mainly the result of the Earth finally getting a sufficient population to allow deep specialization of expertise and industry.

The real truth of humanity is that we have a statistically short time to grow our species off of this planet, before some mega-disaster extincts us all. And given that, the need to be able to make boats that can travel quickly through space is something that will require an even deeper ability to specialize. In other words, the future architect of the faster-than-light ground state drive will need to focus on that mostly, and not spend an inordinate amount of time in the family garden, growing and dehydrating okra and baby tomatoes to last the winter.

By that measure, the Earth is actually underpopulated, because we still don't have an effective way to leave the planet before the global shit hits the global fan. We still don't have effective enough deep specialization to solve our problems to the point of strongly supporting our futures.

It's the old Joe Rogan bit, he says something like "I don't know how all this futuristic shit works, do you?" We think ourselves gods because we can hold a library in our hand, but what it takes to keep that working, requires that some 5% of the population actually understand it, and be able to advance it, and the other 95% create the global economy to allow that high level work to become reality.

13 minutes ago, mikewof said:

...    ...   ...

The real truth of humanity is that we have a statistically short time to grow our species off of this planet, before some mega-disaster extincts us all. And given that, the need to be able to make boats that can travel quickly through space is something that will require an even deeper ability to specialize. ...    ....     ....

So, are you a member of the L5 Society? I am a founding member, largely thanks to Robert Heinlein. We may figure out FTL or not..... personally I'm betting on not. The problem is that we're not even taking meaningful steps towards understanding how to build/maintain a sustainable habitat.

-DSK

29 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

So, are you a member of the L5 Society? I am a founding member, largely thanks to Robert Heinlein. We may figure out FTL or not..... personally I'm betting on not. The problem is that we're not even taking meaningful steps towards understanding how to build/maintain a sustainable habitat.

-DSK

I don't know anything about it, is that the society that wants to make space stations?

I'm a bit on the fence about it, we are going to destroy ourselves eventually, either accidentally, or purpose, so we do need to be able to get off this rock. But it seems like maybe the reason we haven't really shown much interest in actually doing this is because of Relativity ... who wants to spend half their life on a boat going somewhere, and have to sever connections with their friend and family who aren't going with them?

But, I suspect a of Nature for which we currently rely on Relatively to explain, might be better explained through some kind of ground-state physics dependent on HUP. We have the tools to explore the ground state now (like Josephson Junctions, MEMs, and superfluidity) these things are in the labs now, they're functional tools. The old cliche with lab work, is "spend a week in the library before you spend a month in the lab."

The idea there is that we need to figure out how we interact with Nature, before we start going balls-to-the-wall on space stations and trips to Mars and shit. We need to explore the ground state, below the ground state, and see the what the fuck is going on with photons, and particles and all this crazy shit for which we currently have to explain with insane theories like Relativity, Quantum Probability, and such. I'll take Einstein's side on this one, at least in some way, God may play dice with the universe, but He sure as hell has some gears hooked up the machine below the ground state. There has to be something there, and when we find it we'll possibly then be able to make boats and engines that can fly hundreds of light years away in just a few weeks. 

I only write this because physics has now taken this new place in history, where the only way we can understand Nature is to say "the only way to understand it, is to say that it makes no sense." Really, we have to subvert science and curiosity to understand how shit works? 

Howabout this ... say that the reason a photon always has a constant speed, and something that can explain its wave-particle duality, is because a photon is actually an illusion, there are no photons, there are only sug-ground state interactions between virtual photons that happen in less than the Planck Length, and at the speed of light? Just do a kinematic relations between those, and we can see the velocity that the virtual photon would have to move in a sufficiently short time that its existence wouldn't violate COE. We know that virtual photons exist, we can infer their existence through NEMs lever breaking on substrates where the below-ground-state virtual photon frequencies pile up outside of the lever, and are at deficit under the lever, so the wave-energy imbalance then breaks the lever. This is a real, and measurable effect, in fact early automobile airbag sensors sometimes broke because of this effect, the gap between the MEMs cantilevers and the substrate for the inertial sensors were sometimes made so small they they couldn't survive the Casimir Force stresses. So this isn't science fiction, it's a measurable effect! Okay, we we have a virtual photon moving no further than the Planck length to interact with another virtual photon, and it's moving no faster than the speed of light, the characteristic lifetime of the virtual photon would not be able to be more (1.6 x 10^-35 m)(3 x 10^8 m/s)=4.8 x 10^-27 seconds, or 0.0048 yoctoseconds. Fuck, that's not a lot of time right there, officially unphysical, since we wouldn't be able to measure it with a length scale smaller than the Planck length.

But what can happen 0.0048 yoctoseconds that might explain the bizarre behavior of light? We know that the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle prohibits us from removing energy from the ground state, because that would then allow us to localize particles, which we know we can't do. And since it prohibits taking energy OUT of the ground state, it would thus prohibit us from putting energy INTO the ground state because that could allow a similar localization of particle at the ground state itself ... the limits here would be zero energy and ground state energy, being able to put energy into or take energy out of the ground state push the total enclosed energy to either limit, which would violate HUP.

Therefore, what if the reason a photon travels at the speed of light is because some asshole with a flashlight who is looking for a place to piss at night while on a fishing trip for salmon in Washing State, turned his flashlight on again, extracted some stored energy from the crappy Dollar Store batteries inside, and then - through the bulb or the LED -- pumped a little bit of energy below the ground state? If he did that, then HUP immediately springs in action and says "WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS LIGHT DOING DOWN HERE IN MY NICE SOFT GROUND STATE, GET IT THE FUCK OUT OF HERE!"

So the virtual photons, are a bunch of pussies with HUP, they are scared to death of him, kind of like that episode of the Aquabats Super Show, with all the people in that Christimas village who were afraid of Krampus. So the pussy virtual photons say "HOLY SHIT, THAT FUCKERS ON A RAMPAGE, I DON'T WANT THIS ENERGY, HERE, YOU TAKE IT!" The first virtual photon hands the energy to the nearest one she can find that doesn't add or subtract an extra element of angular momentum from the energy transfer (thus the reason light tends to travel in a straight line) and the other virtual photon, who wants to make out the first virtual photon, because he has always thought she is kinda hot, for a really long time in that virtual photons lifespan, like at least for the last 0.00006 yoctoseconds, says to the first virtual photon "Hey there you sweet, luscious virtual photon, I like that ass of your's you know that? You wanna know why? Because I like a little bit of fat ass, and you fill out that photon dress of your's like a woman virtual photon should! Yes! Now what do you say, you and I go grab a couple Cantaritas, just chill, maybe order a plate of guac and some blue corn chips, I'll use my smartphone with that Touchtunes jukebox, to play us some Barry White, maybe some Billy Ocean that I know you like, but only one, because that guy kinda gets on my nerves. Then we'll see where the night takes us ... what do you say to that gorgeous?"

And the female virtual photon says "Yeah, whatever, just get this fucking energy off of me, I'm not built to carry around additional energy greater than my share of the community's share of the Planck Constant!" "Yeah, here, hand me that energy, I got it ... OOF, fuck this thing is heavy!" Then second virtual photon then says under his breath "Motherfucker knows I'm getting rid of this shit as soon as she 'aint looking." Then he takes his gal in the arm and walks into his favorite watering hole, the H-Bar Omega.

That whole exchange had to happen in less than 0.0048 yoctoseconds, maybe a hell of a lot less than 00048 yoctoseconds, I can only guess at this point. But this whole thing continues for a while as the light moves through the physical space, less than a Planck length at a time, from his flashlight, through the vacuum in which that fisherman is camping (because I don't want to muddle this up yet with photon-air interactions) until the light hits the little patch of ground where he's pissing. So by this point, that little bundle of photon's energy has made its way through an unimaginable numbers of horny virtual photons, each passing off that packet of energy to the next clueless chump. Finally, it hits a molecule of Hamm's beer at the piss puddle, and that lucky virtual photon runs into an actual particle above the ground state, an actual electron, with actual mass, who isn't bound by having to only live a fraction of a yoctosecond below the ground state. And you know, this virtual photon just doesn't know what to think about this electron, because there are pleasantly fat asses, and then there are fat asses that threaten the stability of civilizations. (This is a different virtual photon from the first guy, but in my physics, all male virtual photons dig a virtual photonic chick with a fat ass and a smile.) So this virtual photon, he thinks he has some game, and he goes up to the electron and he say "Hey baby, I got you a gift!" And the electron says "Bzzzt, Bzzzt, Bzzzt, what kind of gift you got me, you sorry little tiny man?" "Why you gotta get all mean like that? I come over here with a gift for you and you start in to insulting me, and fucking with my pride. Why do you have to be such an angry bitch all your life?" "Don't you give me that shit about angry bitch, I'm angry because of you, motherfucker. I'm angry because you keep coming round here with those broke-ass energy packets, and you ain't never showing up here with any kind of real energy packets. DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM, MOTHERFUCKER? I AM A MOTHERFUCKING LEPTON! Motherfucker, I FEEL the weak nuclear force. Do you have any idea what the weak nuclear force FEELS like motherfucker?"

At this point, the virtual photon dude is feeling genuinely down, he's ready to go shoot a speedball. "She's right, he's just a virtual photon, he is barely a Boson. Why did he think he could ever get with a Lepton like her. Where's that damned needle?" Then he realizes something and he throws off the tie, and immediately gives up smack for the rest of his life. He's been crying over her for a long time, like 0.00002 yoctoseconds, then he thinks "You know, fuck that fat ass bitch! She thinks she's the only woman in this piss puddle of beer, I could have all kinds of women, and you know what? I like the skinny-ass chicks too, some of them are FINE, especially that fine-ass Lakota-Cherokee chick, I have always had a weak spot for Native American chicks, because they make some of the hottest women on the planet. Seriously, three of the hottest chicks I have ever known, the kind that could melt your resolve and a block of ice with a look, all three of them were Native American chicks."

So he grabs the energy packet, and he's pissed at this point, he's thinking about that fine-ass Lakota-Cherokee chick that he DIDN'T get with just to be with this ungrateful woman and he starts quietly singing the words to "Love Stinks" by J. Geils ... "Love stinks, yeah, yeah" and he walks up to the electron, but he's trying to play it different than what's in his head. He's like "Hey Baby." And she's getting a little soft, because he came back, but she's still putting on a show about being a hard-ass, and she says "What you want?" Now she's regretting being such a hard ass bitch, she actually could use the energy packet, and it would be good to have a man around the house, even if just to fix the shit she doesn't want to screw with. And he wasn't all that bad as a provider, he never hit her, he's always been polite to her mom, he does the dishes, he sort of keeps things clean even though he does stink like a man a lot of times. In fact, the only thing that really ever made her truly angry about him is that he never wanted more, he never wanted all the stuff she wanted, the bigger house, the better car, he just bought it all because she wanted it. "If he could have wanted more, maybe we would have a lot more" she thought. She's an electron who never really understood that sometimes you have to take the good with the bad. Life didn't have that kind of duality for her ... she existed in her electron cloud, she didn't have any close electron friends, just the kind of person she was, she obeyed the rules because they were the rules ... if an electron got bumped up or down to her energy level and there wasn't any more integral wavelengths available in her orbit, she would work with the other electron to figure things out. But the men in her life were always untouchable, it was that Coulomb force and the mass defect that kept her just hovered on the outskirts of Iron. She's been there for so long, it seems like quintillions of years, electrons don't really do too well at the whole "decay" thing, and here's this virtual photon with some energy for her.

"Thanks." She accepts the energy and tucks it into her bra strap, "that will at least pay her car note this month, maybe the electric bill too." She was thinking the last part, but it came out in words. Then the virtual photon has his moment, the one he's been waiting for years to say "don't ask me for nothing anymore." And he walks away. He's not going to meet any Native American virtual photon chicks, he's done, he's near the end of his 0.0048 yoctoseconds of the universe near this puddle of piss beer. He thought it would feel good to take revenge on her like that, but it felt bad. It was like a suit he always wanted to wear, and then when he put it on, he realized it wasn't who he was. He did some interesting things in the rest of his life, he opened a diesel performance shop, he had always wanted to to that, made some money with it too, he spent it on some of the virtual photon women, but none of them really ever grabbed his heart the way that electron did at the edge of the piss puddle, but that was so long ago and so far away. "A man can't just drive 8 x 10^-36 meters just to see an old wife, can he? She's probably married again and I'm an old man now anyway, it's been so long ago." But as things go, he finds himself driving there anyway, without a conscious decision to do so. He gets there several days later, it was a long drive, he expected to see nobody, but sure enough, there she is, right where he last left her with his "don't ask me for nothing no more" so long ago ... the same bar too! He slowly walks to her, and sees her, she's as beautiful as ever, she hasn't aged a day! Wait, she hasn't aged at all, what the fuck?

"What you want now motherfucker?"

"You remember me my darling?"

"Yeah, I remember your scrawny Bosonic ass, can't feel no motherfucking weak force. What do you want now, motherfucker?"

"It's been so long though ..."

"Long? You just left here a couple of days ago, now you back ... wait ... holy shit, YOU'RE OLD!" She calls her friends over to look at the old virtual photon.

"Do you remember when I gave you that energy packet so long ago?"

"Yeah, what about it?"

"I never told you, but I wasn't being generous, I HAD to get rid of it, or HUP would kick my ass back to the other end of the piss puddle. Can you ever forgive me?"

Now the electron woman is laughing at the old man, she's still fairly young, barely a blip into her quintillion year middle age. She takes energy packets from virtual photons all the time at the ground state border, but this is the first time one of them had an existential revelation. Most of the time they just handed it to her like the runner from Marathon, and just died at her feet, and went up in a puff of that weird green smoke. And she never told any of them before, but she felt compelled to tell this one ... "Baby, don't feel bad, I have to accept that energy packet from you, same way as you have to give it, HUP is on my ass too." She gave him a kiss on the forehead, he disappears in a puff of green smoke. But this time it's close to her lips, she thinks "hmm, tastes like Sour Apple Jolly Ranchers." Then suddenly she has her own existential crisis, but it only lasts for a few hundred thousand years and then she instantly forgot about it, "What if the universe is made of the same stuff that they make Sour Apple Jolly Ranchers?"

The packet of energy from the fisherman's flashlight bulb entered the ground state, moved to the piss puddle and then exited the ground state again when it had a way to get back out by connecting with an electron with a pretty nice ass. And in this way, photons are just an illusion, and maybe there are only virtual photons and the interactions between them? Or this whole theory could be wrong, or perhaps just the study in human behavior has value. But the point is that we have the tools to now explore what happens in the part of Nature that we can't touch. If we figure it out, we might be able to find better descriptions of Nature, and possibly move beyond the restrictions of Relativity.

But for this to happen, assuming that it takes a few tens of thousands of people working together to create a functional mini-economy where a handful of people can advance medicine, understanding, machines, cleanliness and such, then perhaps there are either far too few people in the world or far too few of those tens of thousands who can advance understanding, and we need to stop being so stupid. But being stupid is far more pleasant than working hard to fix stuff. I much more enjoy working in a bar than working in a lab.

mike, you need to get laid.  Just saying.....

2 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

-DSK

Hey, I just looked into the L5 Society, pretty cool! No joke culty bullshit either, you guys got the Moon Treaty passed! Holy shit!

Do you guys and gals hang out at bars and clubs or such? Do you have conferences?

14 minutes ago, Shootist Jeff said:

mike, you need to get laid.  Just saying.....

Of course, but I'm still married, bumping up to the big two-o. That is an activity in my life that is wholly controlled, restricted and rationed to me by a half Cherokee chick with an exceedingly nice ass.

2 hours ago, mikewof said:

Hey, I just looked into the L5 Society, pretty cool! No joke culty bullshit either, you guys got the Moon Treaty passed! Holy shit!

Do you guys and gals hang out at bars and clubs or such? Do you have conferences?

Dunno, I have not been an active member for years. But I agree it is extremely cool, send them small amounts of money, and one of man's best hopes. Heinlein was not a bullshit kinda guy!

-DSK

5 hours ago, mikewof said:

And yeah, I get that you're joking, but the whole idea of overpopulation is about as current as parachute pants and Grand Funk Railroad.

Mikey's handlers want more people  to be customers, they don't give a fuck about the planer, just profits.

Mikey doesn't care about the OP facts like "

"August 1 this year was the date by which humanity used its 2018 world resources (defined as carbon, food, water, fibre, land and timber).

Each year the world eats its future earlier than the previous year."

Mikey is a shill.

MikeUnderPop.thumb.jpg.fc311239ecc4383f376de9dd16d57803.jpg.

2 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Dunno, I have not been an active member for years. But I agree it is extremely cool, send them small amounts of money, and one of man's best hopes. Heinlein was not a bullshit kinda guy!

-DSK

He was definitely a complex guy, his politics shifted all over the spectrum through his career. I read Have Spacesuit Will Travel when I was a kid, and a few others, they were harmess enough and shallow enough for a kid. But Starship Troopers is a whole 'nother thing ... I didn't read that book until after I saw the movie, and it's definitely the right order to do that, because I came away from the movie just blown away by Verhoeven's take on it, he was politically subversive as hell in that movie, way more than even Robocop. 

Aside from the all the bug fighting, you find yourself cheering for a bunch of fascists in that movie. Verhoeven actually twisted Heinlein's original premise inside out! In the book, Heinlein was pissed at Dwight Eisenhower for being -- as he saw -- soft on the commies. Heinlein would have loved Political Anarchy, he considered himself a conservative anarchist, or a libertarian. His version of Starship Troopers sold the reader on this idea that citizenship shouldn't be something to which we are entitled, that one's country isn't a collection of rules and ideology to serve the citizens, but rather than the collected country was bigger than the sum of the parts, and that citizenship had to be something people earned, usually through military service, and generally going to foreign lands and blowing the shit out of a bunch of giant bugs. Heinlein's Starship Troopers reassures the conservative view, it would be a view that would go over well today.

But Verhoeven's version subverted that. He has you feeling good thoughts about the outright fascists in his movie, you feel "yeah, it's quite alright that you can only become a citizen by being first a soldier and showering naked with a bunch of women soldiers in the blurred gender lines of the future, just so long as you "kill them all" and shoot every bug you can find. The attack on Buenos Aires was clearly some kind of false flag even as Verhoeven's news report shows that the asteroids launched by the bugs would have had to travel across most of the galaxy to be able to actually hit Buenos Aires, and then do that in a few weeks. But Heinlein just left that possibility open, in his books the bug just flew spacecraft like anyone else, but in Verhoeven's version, the bugs were nothing more than highly emotional big bugs with no access to any kind of technologies other than their own bodies. They weren't at war with the galaxy in Verhoeven's book, they were just another group of scapeboat's used to justify another military build up and another military throw-down.

You find yourself getting carried into the excitement of Verhoeven's fascism, you know it's wrong, but it feels good to hate something so hateable with those whom you love. Orwell's Two Minute Hate had nothing on an audience of people seeing giant bugs getting sliced apart. Verhoeven knew that emotion, and he manipulated it. Then you think it's a pretty respectful copy of Heinlein's original novel right up until near the end, cheering for the happy fascists as they finally overcome the threat of the commie bugs. But then the move ends up on some news footage of the military intelligence torturing some sniveling bug, I think the brain bug if memory serves, they torture the poor thing, sniveling and suffering. At that point, about half the theater cheers in vengeance against the brain bug suffering as he made one of the characters suffer when he sucked out his brain. But I think I could hear the cringe from the rest ... it's just the same thing in the future as it now ... send in the most advanced killing machines known to man, force the natives to accept us as their masters, imprison and torture all the intellectuals on both sides if necessary. Verhoeven took Heinlein's premise and turned his conservative anarchism into a means to look at our own world through the abstraction of some bugs. 

Hey Mikey, shill tactics inc.

This Is Word Salad

image.png.1615a67459cd2a38a8747d752751a958.png

"

This appeared on a Refinery29 article about Planned Parenthood rallies. See how the commenter mixes sexist and crude words in a sentence that literally doesn’t make any sense?
“You get this image of some nut in a tinfoil hat pounding at the keyboard,” Robin Clark of University of Pennsylvania says. “But they always seem to have some deliberate plan of action behind it.” That plan is the following: bypassing community moderators who are trained to look exclusively for personal attacks and getting a rise out of anyone with either a basic respect for the English language or a vested interest in the topic at hand. “I think it’s a deliberate attempt to derail the thread. What they want is that a lot of people will start commenting on it, [responding] to some lunatic assertion.” And there you are talking to nonsense, which then makes you look loony, too.