aA

nhl '19

who's ready for the new season?

and thank you to ottawa for letting dougie 'tan man' wilson fleece you yet again. looking forward to karlsson on the blue line!!!!

5 hours ago, aA said:

who's ready for the new season?

and thank you to ottawa for letting dougie 'tan man' wilson fleece you yet again. looking forward to karlsson on the blue line!!!!

Fuck! Melnyk must die. Your welcome.  Go leafs.

On 9/17/2018 at 6:53 AM, Figment said:

karlsson and burnsie together.   fuuuuuuuuck yoooooooou.

yowza.

Dead Last NHL Anarchy...the Ottawa Senators

On 9/13/2018 at 6:20 PM, Peacefrog said:

Can't wait. Its Vegas's year! Wings will suck again but Stevie is coming home for next year :)

I have my fingers crossed on the Stevie Y return. 

20 GAMES for Wilson.

I wholeheartedly support the league in addressing their head-injury issue, but damn 20 games for that hit is quite an escalation from previous precedent.

I suppose they wanted to send a message and they were just waiting for someone to make a questionable hit so they could send it?

I think they are upping the ante on repeat offenders too.

Lotsa goals going in the first couple of nights...washington has slammed in 13 (!) in two games, pittsburgh jammed 7 in.

lotsa great rookie debuts too.  it seems the last few years has really seen a lot of teenagers able to stick and perform.

On 9/19/2018 at 8:47 AM, chester said:

Dead Last NHL Anarchy...the Ottawa Senators

Oof! Salt in the wounds!

Anyway, my useless opinion is that Andy and Condy are going to help the Sens to 100 points this season.

1/4 of the season done now and sort of a large handful of guys scoring a lot of goals.   In the past several years it seems like there has been one clear leader or may be a couple of guys way in front of the rest of the pack, but this year its like the whole pack is scoring together.

Looks like the Art Ross is going to go to the guy who can stay healthy all year.

• despite the ongoing stupidness that is the Ottawa Sentor's organisation...they aren't god awful!  if you would have said that thomas chabot would have 23 points and be 21st overall in scoring and e65 would have 12 and be buried...you would've got some long odds
  • the leafs are real good, tavares is great, they've withstood the mathews injury, they should trade nylander not sign him
  • I hope Mike is watching the avalanche 'cause McKinnon etal are fucking great
  • in the pleasant surprise category: Ottawa, Vancouver! (skinny little pettersen kid is awesome and they have quality youngsters), both new york teams in the playoff picture, Montreal.  Neither Chicago or Detroit are as bad as expected.
  • didn't see that coming category: pittsburg starting slow isn't that surprising but last in the east?  murray is sucking.  same goes for the blues, both will need a 180 to get back into it and both might be out by christmas.

I didn't see LA at the bottom of the barrel either.  whatthefuck kovalchuk?

Edmonton seems like they're playing a lot better than middle-of-the-pack, so that's another mystery to get sorted.

I'm just happy Markstrom finally got rid of the silly mask with the creepy ears on it....:)

Yes, Pettersen is pretty amazing.... and a sniper.

1 hour ago, Figment said:

I didn't see LA at the bottom of the barrel either.  whatthefuck kovalchuk?

Edmonton seems like they're playing a lot better than middle-of-the-pack, so that's another mystery to get sorted.

ya...edmonton...the eternal mystery of the NHL.  I think McLellan gets fired.

Hitch is only 66?  I'd have put him at 75 off the top of my head.  He's been an old-coach forever.

I dunno how Chiarelli remains employed at all.   the B's are still paying for his fuckups, and it seems that he's taken Edmonton down the same path.

he immediately put lucic, cassian and brozniak on a line together realizing that having one of these slow posts on each line was just slowing everything down....at least when they are all together they take up all available ice space making it hard for the other team to move.  they won.

If y'all get a chance to see a leafs game...take it. Mathews steps back on the ice gets 2 goals and assist, Tavares 2 g, marner 3 assists, Anderson plays great and they handle the sharks 5-2.

1 hour ago, Figment said:

do I even bother going to see Flyers at Panthers while I'm in town over xmas?

hey, you might get to see willy nylander play...in flyers gear.

16 hours ago, chester said:

hey, you might get to see willy nylander play...in flyers gear.

Panthers gear is more likely - the trade will be to a lousy team with no fans.  Arizona is another possibility.

Past time for the Lightning to win the cup again. They’ve been consistently elite for most of this decade.

Trade-deadline week is always fun.

Jumbo Joe kicked it off pretty nicely last night.

Vasilevskiy, just missed 3 straight shutouts by about 1:50 in the 3rd...

too bad... hes been playing great....

5 hours ago, Figment said:

Trade-deadline week is always fun.

Deadline week is not as much fun for the children.

the western conference looks like the top 3 in each division are in like flyn,  with 6 teams having a legitimate shot at the wild card spots image.png.c9e93a333cbb2b6b64048b77f27b332f.png

In the east, the atlantic looks set but the metropolitan has a 3 way race for 3rd and 4 teams looking for the wild card

image.png.89e5d23dc9d65d98a1fbedebc75653de.png

i'm guessing pittsburgh can hold on to 3rd setting up another first round series with the caps.

96 points for the lightning with 22 games left....wholy shit!  15 more points than next best calgary

Chicago has a real shot at getting back to the show

I can't help it.

I dearly want Columbus and Carolina to overtake the pens and bump them out.   

I want to watch Pierre McGuire broadcast a no-pens playoff.   I think I'd enjoy that more than I would another caps-pens series.

how about those Islander?  Lose johnnyt, clearly the best player on their roster, and they come together and have a fine season.  hockey teams are weird that way. two years ago Ottawa, with really only one star in Karlson, come within a win of going to the final...now they are dead last and within 3 or 4 days of having a lineup with literally no established stars, and are an organisational laughing stock with no foreseeable upside.

3 hours ago, Figment said:

I can't help it.

I dearly want Columbus and Carolina to overtake the pens and bump them out.   

I want to watch Pierre McGuire broadcast a no-pens playoff.   I think I'd enjoy that more than I would another caps-pens series.

looks like the blue jackets just got Duschene from the ottawa sadators, that should help.

"The two teams square off in Ottawa Friday with Duchene expected to play for the Blue Jackets."  Jesus, the guy hauls his gear from the home dressing room to the visitor's, puts a new jersey on and immediately plays against his "old" team

• Like 1

It was good to see the whalers unis last night.    The Canes should wear those whenever they play in Boston or NY.

(and damn, Aho is quick!)

attention all haters, attention all haters:

you may note that crosby is now 4th in league scoring and actually has an outside chance of catching everybody not named kucherov.  all while stacking up a + 24. crosby is single handedly keeping pitt in the playoff picture.  phil is snakebit, he's getting chances but they aren't going in...they need to send out a search party for geno.  jake guentzel, like pascal dupuis and chris kunitz before him, looks like a real sniper....he's probably not.

Phil needs to stop eating so many doughnuts........;)

Gino's a monster when he's rolling, look out....

48 minutes ago, Keith said:

Phil needs to stop eating so many doughnuts........;)

Gino's a monster when he's rolling, look out....

despite phil's rolly polly build, the guy is super fast and has a wicked shot.  what he needs is to have a few go in rather than off the bar AND GET BACK AN GET HIS PUDGY BODY IN FRONT OF A FEW CHANCES!  sheesh, he's -18.  and Geno is -21.  both are scoring at a point a game clip which is elite scoring but they are fucking liabilities defensively. Geno is a monster when he's rolling but right now he's standing still.  i saw a game in the last week.  they allowed the other team to tie it up late.  in 3 on 3, the pitt guy back controlled in the corner, chipped it off the boards around the first guy in to malkin STANDING 4 feet inside the blueline.  the puck fucking hit him, deflected toward the centre of the ice where their second guy scooped it up walked in an beat murray.  FUCK, that was weak.

Dammit the B's dumped that game in pittsburgh, now they need to dump one in Columbus so the BJs can stay in the hunt.  

and I'll begin my annual disdain for nbcsports.   This time of year they should be flex-scheduling.   We could have tampa-toronto tonight, but noooooo we have ottawa at philly.

7 hours ago, Figment said:

and I'll begin my annual disdain for nbcsports.   This time of year they should be flex-scheduling.   We could have tampa-toronto tonight, but noooooo we have ottawa at philly.

Well Tampa as is it’s wont curb stomped Toronto.  They’re on their way to a nhl best record ever.

This is a big...perhaps THE big year for Toronto.  They now have top flight talent up front and in goal and with rielly on the back end.  It now comes down to will.  just about every year some team uses will and desire to play above the talent level of their opponent...see the 2016 (?) senators. The leafs MUST find a way to beat boston or they're, this team, this rebuild, is consigned to the also rans.  They will have to do it as visitors but if they lose, this rebuild is a failure.  they can't wait until boston "ages out" of the playoffs.  that will take will.  they have to out will Patrice Bergeron who, along with Sid, sits at the very top of the "will to win" column.  That guy will NEVER give up, will NEVER take a shift off.  It's up to Tavares and Mathews to put themselves at that level.

The leafs will get through.   I think Rask is going to crack.

6 hours ago, Figment said:

The leafs will get through.   I think Rask is going to crack.

Pointless as they will again get curb stomped by the lightning.  In any event the Bruins are a much better team

ill just leave this here...lol

I heard a clip of that.  At one point he mocks the "zero cup sharks" :D

The NHL still exists? I thought it went away with GHW Bush.....

Backtracking that "leafs will get through" thing now.  

In the last two weeks the only other playoff team they played was the Preds (who shut them out), so in the rest of those games all against weak competition they're 3-2-2.  

This crappy phase they've been in has gone on too long.  They need to find another gear or they're getting swept.

yeah, i would need some longer odds to bet on them.  despite the talent they just aren't imposing that talent on teams, even lower teams like philly...so good luck against Boston.  maybe that can change but doesn't look like.  Funny about Boston, the knock on them is that they are just one line.  it maybe true that the other 9 forwards don't have the talent of pasternak, marchand and bergeron and yet one way or another they win a lot of games.

if things hold it looks like were going to avoid a first round washington pittsburg match...that's good.

It's hard to see how any other result than the lightning going all the way, although but the playoffs is a different game.  in the last few years the lightning, caps, pens, preds and sharks have all looked like world beaters at the end of 82, all to bomb out before the finals...but still, tampa is having an historic season.

only one more day of potential-BS-shootout wins.

If we're going to decide games, and in the last month of the season we can easily categorize many of them "elimination games", via shootout, I say there should at least be a backchecker in pursuit! 

The shooter starts at the red line, let the backchecker start from the far blueline.   Shooter still has a very clear advantage but does NOT have time to dick around and make 5 different moves to see which one works.

Also: get off my lawn.

31 minutes ago, Figment said:

only one more day of potential-BS-shootout wins.

If we're going to decide games, and in the last month of the season we can easily categorize many of them "elimination games", via shootout, I say there should at least be a backchecker in pursuit! 

The shooter starts at the red line, let the backchecker start from the far blueline.   Shooter still has a very clear advantage but does NOT have time to dick around and make 5 different moves to see which one works.

Also: get off my lawn.

Skate until you die or leave it a tie.

Avs over Flames in 7

Sharks over Vegas in 5

Preds over Dallas in 5

Blues over Jets in 7

Tampa over Jackets in 4

Leafs over Bruins in 6

Islanders over Pens in 7

Canes over Caps in 6

Flames in 5
Vegas in 6
Preds in 5
Jets in 6

Tampa in 5
Bruins in 4
Pens in 5, can't believe I picked the Pens!
Caps in 5

Flames in 6

Sharks in 7

Dallas in 7...I know, out there

Jets in 7...duck, blues got, jets not, but 

Tampa in 4

Leafs in 6...probably the other way but

Caps in 5

Pens in 7

Flames in 6

Vegas in 7

Preds in 6

Blues in 6

Tampa in 5

Bruins in 7

Islanders in 6

Caps in 5

Calgary in 5
Vegas in 7
Preds in 6
Jets in 5

Tampa in 4
Boston in 5
Isles in 7.   I shall not pick the pens.
Caps in 5 unless carolina wears the Whalers unis, in which case they'll make it to game 7, but the caps still win.

42 minutes ago, Figment said:

Caps in 5 unless carolina wears the Whalers unis, in which case they'll make it to game 7, but the caps still win.

I hadn't heard about this ... is this really in consideration for their throwback uni? That was an epic logo.

38 minutes ago, mikewof said:

I hadn't heard about this ... is this really in consideration for their throwback uni? That was an epic logo.

yup they have and use them

Tampa 4

Boston 6

Washington 5

Pittsburgh 6

Nashville 5

Winterpeg 6

Calgary 6

Vegas 5

Sharks in 6

Flames in 7

Jets in 7

Preds in 5

Lightning in 5

Bruins in 7

Caps in 6

Islanders in 7

Preds in 6

Jets in 6

Flames in 6

Knights in 7

lightning in 5

Leafs in 7

Caps in 6

Pens in 6

Finally the real season begins... :lol:

well that was an interesting opening night.  I watched bits and pieces of the isles/pens, jets,blues and sharks/vegas....the isles and pens were flying, ditto jets/blues, looked like the sharks had a better time of it.  the blues may have finally have a goaltender that makes a difference.  they have been a contender for quite a while but always got let down in net...this kid is playing lights out.  the sharks really displayed a deep, talented team in front of the crease but despite only letting in 2, jones looked shaky.  nobody deserves to win it all more than jumbo.

Bewildered that the Pens had a playoff game without Pierre McGuire between the benches.

Is Nassau really such a shithole that he'd rather work the Tampa series?

:D, yer a man who can hold grudges figgy!

who took a bet that the jackets could come back from 3 down on the lightning?  what boat are you buying?  i love tortorella, best interview in the business.

• Like 1

Best tipped goal of the night,  was off of Joe Pavelski's face.... ouch...... :mellow:

2 hours ago, Peacefrog said:

fuck me went 0fer last night.

Me too but then I am on the stupid end of the boat.  What is your excuse?

That Heiskanen kid was lights out for Dallas and he is only 19.  2 deadly goals, both off speed wristers.  Sniper...   Avs have a go tonight..  Possibly the 8 seed no one wants to see, especially Calgary with their issues in goal.  If the 2nd line can produce and grubby stays hot we got a shot.  

Avs in 6

All the right teams lost yesterday.  

The rest I really don't give a shit....  :D

Knew it was going to go badly for the B's in the opening minutes when one of the leafs knocked Rask on his ass and Krug looked like he was trying out for the olympic Standing-There team.

• Like 1

The leafs played a great road game.  used there speed to skate away from the bruins.  Regardless of how the playoffs go for the leafs, shanahan and dubas must be getting the unsettling feeling that they gave max money to the wrong guy.  i think they were counting on trying to pay marner less than mathews...not sure that that will be possible. 

also very good game one for calgary

Islanders up 3-0 in the series?

there's a ripple in the force........:ph34r:

I wonder what Vegas would have paid for a bet that Tampa and Pittsburgh were out in 4 ...

Its a crazy start to the playoffs...

Not NHL, but damn did the Finish chicks get fucked yesterday at the Women's Worlds. Such bullshit and then IIHF did not even bother to explain what the fuck happened.

1 hour ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

I say again - Go Caps!!!! 

oh, they're goin'!

1 hour ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

ALL CAPS!

Nice OT Goal Saturday.  Can't talk hockey with my daughter right now.  She lives in Tampa, has season tickets and is a mad Lightening fan.  Was hard this time last year as well.  

• Like 1

Kadri's gonna get suspended.  too bad his stick got high 'cause debrusk was running amok.  kadri is about the only leaf that can and will play the "keep yer fucking hands off my guys role".  Sean Avery:  too bad he didn't take out the top row of teeth".

On 4/12/2019 at 8:45 AM, chester said:

The leafs played a great road game.  used there speed to skate away from the bruins.  Regardless of how the playoffs go for the leafs, shanahan and dubas must be getting the unsettling feeling that they gave max money to the wrong guy.  i think they were counting on trying to pay marner less than mathews...not sure that that will be possible. 

also very good game one for calgary

HA!!  well, you saw the real Av's Sat night.  If they can get the damn pp to work like it is supposed to (#7 in the league) you guys are toast.  The old guy in the net is gonna crack at some point and it seems as if the entire stadium knows it.  

God I love the playoffs.  

• Like 1

Mckinnon is a great player.  hope the outcome isn't because smith cracks, he's been playing well.  goalies.  and business.  the reason the penguins let fluery go was all hockey business:  he's older, we got a young guy that good...business.  i bet they are wishing they had decided to run with the old guy.  not that their predicament can be laid solely on murray but fluery gives you more than just tending, he can actually dish out inspiration.

• Like 1

On 4/15/2019 at 7:24 AM, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

jesus h christ...ovie fucking decked that kid!  they poke, jaw and face wash and then the kid nods a "let's go"....probably shouldn't have done that.

2 hours ago, chester said:

jesus h christ...ovie fucking decked that kid!  they poke, jaw and face wash and then the kid nods a "let's go"....probably shouldn't have done that.

Yeah,  Bad guy to pick a fight with.  I don't think Ovie was even breathing hard when the kid went down.

But Carolina got back at them  5-0 final score. Ugly!

Wow, respect to the Columbus blue jackets...great, dominating series and first series win in franchise history, incredible.

Stevie Y moving back to the Wings... :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Keith said:

Stevie Y moving back to the Wings... :)

Conclusion to the worst kept secret in the league.

Flyers to stop playing Kate Smith's version of 'God Bless America'

Cite 'offensive lyrics' in other songs from late singer, cover up her statue outside arena

https://www.nhl.com/news/philadelphia-to-stop-kate-smith-god-bless-america/c-306892584

oh what holy fuckery is this???    what could POSSIBLY have been in those other songs???

Attending a playoff game at which Kate Smith's GBA is played was a bucket-list thing for me.

Which bruins are going to show up tonight?   the happy-to-get-our-dicks-kicked-in version, or the light-some-shit-up version?

I really hope I'm wrong, I've always liked Mike Smith, but I kinda think the Avs are going to close that one out tonight.