aA

nhl '19

well done Bruins...... game 7 ........ on the way

On 4/16/2019 at 8:45 AM, chester said:

jesus h christ...ovie fucking decked that kid!  they poke, jaw and face wash and then the kid nods a "let's go"....probably shouldn't have done that.

I keep thinking about that fight. Ovie had a solid 30 lbs. on Svechie, and it has to be terrifying getting into any kind of fight with a marquee player like Ovie ... a rookie who puts a scratch on Ovie would probably be out of a job unless he made up for it with a stellar year.

I can imagine Svechnikov seeing the opportunity to do a solid for his fellow Russian with them pretty much out of the series by that point ... give Ovie a nod and then let him do what he does.

It's why I was not so impressed by Crosby's fighting career a few years ago ... who would risk their career in damaging high dollar product like that?

what the fuck are you talking about?   How would kicking ovie's ass damage Svechnikov's career prospects?    

Sure, he might get his clock cleaned by Wilson and Company, but why would the Canes organization care?

oh, and i pulled the plug on the sharks when vegas scored the 3rd goal.  woke up to find out they scored 3 on a 5 minute power play and then won it in overtime!

1 hour ago, chester said:

IF the Caps win tonight i'll be 3 for 8 in first round predictions :rolleyes:

You rock, I need a Caps win to get to 2 and the only winner I have so far means a bitter wife.

18 hours ago, Figment said:

what the fuck are you talking about?   How would kicking ovie's ass damage Svechnikov's career prospects?    

Sure, he might get his clock cleaned by Wilson and Company, but why would the Canes organization care?

Because he's Ovie! It would be like pissing on Robert Allen's Ferragamo shoes.

It must be terrifying to get into into a fight with a marquis player like that. Ovie is worth some $60 million, he brings tens of millions into the league each year and he has the bones of a 30-some year old, not the rubber bones of a 20-some year old.

Could you imagine squaring up against Ovie and accidentally landing an unlucky punch on him that ends his career? I won't park my truck next to a Lamborghini or Ferrari for fear of dinging the doors, and those are are worth about as much as the Ovie's toenail clippings.

Much as it hurts, Carolina earned their win. Other than the first few minutes of period 1, the Caps got out played and only excellent defense and Holtby saves sent the game into 2 OTs. 

• Like 1

Yeah the caps went totally flat after the 2nd period.

What was the word that Trotz used to describe Ovie's tendency to casually circle around like a shark in an aquarium?   Cruising?  Coasting?    He was doing a lot of that.

I was looking forward to seeing Trotz coach against the caps.

I should really quit while I am in the shitter here but fuck it.

CBJ
DAL
CAR
COL* (only because the Sharks should not be there)

wow.  all 4 division winners out, all four wild card teams in.

Islander in 6.  trotz, team defense, carolina isn't that good

Bruins in 6.  top line still great, rask is playing well, bottom 6 isn't as bad as advertised and Columbus just laid everything out to pull off the upset of a generation

Blues in 7.  super tough one.  two outrageously good goalies, maybe this the year the blues live up to their potential.

Colorado in 6.  avs are going to get better goaltending , EK65 is going to continue to be a defensive liability and right now, at this moment, Nathan McKinnon is the best hockey player on the planet.

Blues in 7

Sharks in 6

NY in 6

Bruins in 6

I cant pick the Avs, just cant do it. If Mrazek gets hot and doesn't melt down, the Islanders could lose.

6 hours ago, Peacefrog said:

I should really quit while I am in the shitter here but fuck it.

CBJ
DAL
CAR
COL* (only because the Sharks should not be there)

guess I forgot how many games.

CBJ, 6
DAL 7
CAR 5
COL, (still hoping the stadium blows up during practice and there is not series, ) 4

1 hour ago, Peacefrog said:

guess I forgot how many games.

CBJ, 6
DAL 7
CAR 5
COL, (still hoping the stadium blows up during practice and there is not series, ) 4

Why do you hate the Avs and Sharks? We have had some terrific series between those two.

My picks ...

Blues over Dallas in 5 games

Avs over San Jose in 7 games

Canes over Islanders in 6 games

Jackets over Bruins in 7 games

Scoring for the first round ... For the first time in the 7-some years of this GA contest, your old pal Mike finally made some half-decent picks.

There were some really lopsided upsets this time. I was the only one to pick the Avs, Chester was the only to pick Dallas, none of us picked the Jackets, and I was the only one to pick the Canes. Every year I spend days look at regular season performance, percentages after the All-Star break and recruiting moves, and I end up close to dead-last. This year I just picked the teams who shoot closer to the net and have decent PK. Read 'em and weep boys ...

1.  Mike    26

2.  Dyslexic Dog    19

3.  Hard Aground    17

4.  Chester    13

5.  Figment    9

6.  Tax Man    6

7.  Peacefrog    4

8.  Keith    0

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chester said:

:D, well done Mike and thanks.

Thank you. I've never done this well, I'm kind of in a haze right now, it feels like maybe my bad luck is turning around a bit. I'm wondering though if maybe I screwed up on the scoring?  The first number after the team is our prediction, the second number is our score. Zero for wrong team, 7 for winner in correct number of games, 6 for winner with one-off, 5 for two-off, etc..

Actual Avs 5   Sharks 7   Dallas 6   Blues 6   Jackets 4   Bruins 7   Islanders 4   Canes 7   Total
Mike Avs 7 5 Sharks 5 5 Preds 5 0 Blues 7 6 Tampa 4 0 Leafs 6 0 Islanders 7 4 Canes 6 6 26
Peacefrog Flames 5 0 Vegas 6 0 Preds 5 0 Jets 6 0 Tampa 5 0 Bruins 4 4 Pens 5 0 Caps 5 0 4
Chester Flames 6 0 Sharks 7 7 Dallas 7 6 Jets 7 0 Tampa 4 0 Leafs 6 0 Pens 7 0 Caps 5 0 13
Dyslexic Dog Flames 6 0 Vegas 7 0 Preds 6 0 Blues 6 7 Tampa 5 0 Bruins 7 7 Islanders 6 5 Caps 5 0 19
Figment Flames 5 0 Vegas 7 0 Preds 6 0 Jets 5 0 Tampa 4 0 Bruins 5 5 Islanders 7 4 Caps 5 0 9
Tax Man Flames 6 0 Vegas 5 0 Preds 5 0 Jets 6 0 Tampa 4 0 Bruins 6 6 Pens 6 0 Caps 5 0 6
Hard Aground Flames 7 0 Sharks 6 6 Preds 5 0 Jets 7 0 Tampa 5 0 Bruins 7 7 Islanders 7 4 Caps 6 0 17
Keith Flames 6 0 Vegas 7 0 Preds 6 0 Jets 6 0 Tampa 5 0 Leafs 7 0 Pens 6 0 Caps 6 0 0

14 minutes ago, mikewof said:

Thank you. I've never done this well, I'm kind of in a haze right now, it feels like maybe my bad luck is turning around a bit. I'm wondering though if maybe I screwed up on the scoring?  The first number after the team is our prediction, the second number is our score. Zero for wrong team, 7 for winner in correct number of games, 6 for winner with one-off, 5 for two-off, etc..

Actual Avs 5   Sharks 7   Dallas 6   Blues 6   Jackets 4   Bruins 7   Islanders 4   Canes 7   Total
Mike Avs 7 5 Sharks 5 5 Preds 5 0 Blues 7 6 Tampa 4 0 Leafs 6 0 Islanders 7 4 Canes 6 6 26
Peacefrog Flames 5 0 Vegas 6 0 Preds 5 0 Jets 6 0 Tampa 5 0 Bruins 4 4 Pens 5 0 Caps 5 0 4
Chester Flames 6 0 Sharks 7 7 Dallas 7 6 Jets 7 0 Tampa 4 0 Leafs 6 0 Pens 7 0 Caps 5 0 13
Dyslexic Dog Flames 6 0 Vegas 7 0 Preds 6 0 Blues 6 7 Tampa 5 0 Bruins 7 7 Islanders 6 5 Caps 5 0 19
Figment Flames 5 0 Vegas 7 0 Preds 6 0 Jets 5 0 Tampa 4 0 Bruins 5 5 Islanders 7 4 Caps 5 0 9
Tax Man Flames 6 0 Vegas 5 0 Preds 5 0 Jets 6 0 Tampa 4 0 Bruins 6 6 Pens 6 0 Caps 5 0 6
Hard Aground Flames 7 0 Sharks 6 6 Preds 5 0 Jets 7 0 Tampa 5 0 Bruins 7 7 Islanders 7 4 Caps 6 0 17
Keith Flames 6 0 Vegas 7 0 Preds 6 0 Jets 6 0 Tampa 5 0 Leafs 7 0 Pens 6 0 Caps 6 0 0

Thanks for the details - I expected to be DFL.

2 hours ago, mikewof said:

Why do you hate the Avs and Sharks? We have had some terrific series between those two.

My picks ...

Blues over Dallas in 5 games

Avs over San Jose in 7 games

Canes over Islanders in 6 games

Jackets over Bruins in 7 games

I am a wings fan so we hate the Avs and I truly believe the sharks should not be there. The call for them the other is one of the biggest travesties in sports. But hey the league said sorry. 

30 minutes ago, Peacefrog said:

I am a wings fan so we hate the Avs and I truly believe the sharks should not be there. The call for them the other is one of the biggest travesties in sports. But hey the league said sorry. 

The Wings-Avs blood feud died the day Bettman realigned Detroit to the East. Your new rivalry is with the Jackets .. you'll pine for the blood feud with those guys, the Jackets run a pretty tight ship.

I agree with you on that blown call. But the Knight's PK was to blame too.

do I need to adjust the color tone on my TV, or is Torts a rather trumpian shade of orange now?

the 2020 Winter Classic is going to be in DALLAS????    Why not Miami?

jesus h, this round is tough and not looking good for my "predictions"...the hurricanes are just handling the isles just like the isles handled the pens...crazy. been catching quite a bit of the st.louis-dallas series and that's some pretty fine hockey.  the old senator jason spezza just hammered a power play slap shot past binnington last night.

Well done Canes..... Sweep...:)

wow, the blues won in 2 OT.  I watched more of this series than any of the other 2nd round,  it was some pretty great hockey. a real potential for absolute disaster for st louis.  they just dominated the 2nd and 3rd periods...always in the dallas end just blasting away at Bishop, dallas had 4 shots over 2 periods but they could not score.  so when overtime rolled around and dallas came back...losing on the only goal it takes in OT would have been devastating for the blues.  instead the hometown boy scores.  52 years in the league...it would be cool to see them win.

woohoo a perfect 0-4!

Let's keep the dream alive...   Bruins and Sharks for the Jumbo Joe Series

B's in 7

Sharks in 6

well, i think i went 2 of of 4 but fuck me pink this has been a wild year.  I don't know why i offer commentary on my choices...it makes me look even stupider!

Bruins in 7.  not sure why, carolina has been proving people wrong for two series now...hard to bet against Patrice tho.

Blues in 7.  either way there is a historic component...the blues being a 52 year old franchise that's never won it, sharks having never won it and I wouldn't be unhappy to see Jumbo have one last shot...still say EK65 is going to cost them biggly at some point.

I have decided to pick solely on who's jersey I think is better looking, I mean I fucking sucked on the rest. 

So STL in 6 and BOS in 7

So basically SJ and CAR will win :)

I'm going with the goaltending

Rask- 7 Bos

Binny- 7 Stl

And will Mikey give us the scores or is he still MIA

I can't ask my cats, who definitely would have better picks than me.  

Sharks 6

Carolina 7

A topic to kick around while we wait for games 4 and beyond...  Should the rule which allows a team on PK to ice the puck be eliminated?

Would there be more PP goals scored, or would the PK team just ice it anyway for the 30-second breather and it'd add an extra 10 minutes to the games?

no' probably not because yes.

I think it's fine as it is and has always been even though it's a softening of the impact of the penalty: "you did  something wrong, we re going to take your guy off the ice and make you play short handed BUT we'll allow you to shoot it down the ice and effectively shorten the sentence".  maybe they should say no icing AND if you do we'll add 10 seconds to the penalty!  that would produce more PP goals!

St. Louis!  I thought that when they allowed couture to tie it up with a shorty and a break away in 2 minutes they might fold but they didn't....gonna be a great series i think.  sportsnet showed a couple of graphics that pointed out that in the play offs, 2016 to now, couture is in the top three of points and goals with crosby and ovechkin.

P.S.

"Couture is the fourth player this decade with 100 playoff points, trailing only Sidney Crosby (123), Patrick Kane (109) and Evgeni Malkin (106)".

gonna wait, the sharks/blues have a lot of hockey left if the blues can get over losing a game on a missed call.  gotta say thoght that the bruins are looking great.  i knocked them early as being " a one line team"...not so as it turns out.  they have been getting production up and down the line up.

1 hour ago, dyslexic dog said:

I'll Start the next round. Bruins in 6

aeslea.jpg

And, ....who knows how to score and where are we since the second round. I hate to say, I miss Mikey.

I'll give scoring ago for Mike using:"Zero for wrong team, 7 for winner in correct number of games, 6 for winner with one-off, 5 for two-off, etc.."

Keith, i don't think you made picks for the 2nd round.  The big winner in round 2 is (drum role) Dyslexic Dog, you had 3 of 4 teams

Dyslexic Dog 18

Hard aground 12

Chester 11

Mike 10

Peace frog 6

Tax Man 6

Figment 0

Bringing forward round 2 scores we have 2 round totals of:

Dyslexic Dog 37

Mike 36

Hard Aground 29

Chester 24

Tax Man 12

Peace Frog 10

Figment 9

Keith 0

yeah sorry, I failed so bad in the first round that I thought it best to just watch.. 

go sharks go....

• Like 1

On 5/17/2019 at 3:38 PM, dyslexic dog said:

I'll Start the next round. Bruins in 6

I might have to rethink my pick after last night. Can I do that before the next round? 

wait, that means they close it out in St Louis... no.   7 games.

two correct out of fourteen, time to join Keith on the bench

Apologies for my absence, I've been snowed under. I'll update the stats asap.

I'm sorry to say it, and hope I don't offend my own personal beer league hockey gods, :ph34r:

but I'm really going to get tired of seeing the "Bobby Orr clip", over, and over, and over and over again....

Not to mention D. Cherry.. ok i wont. :mellow: 

2 hours ago, Keith said:

I'm sorry to say it, and hope I don't offend my own personal beer league hockey gods, :ph34r:

but I'm really going to get tired of seeing the "Bobby Orr clip", over, and over, and over and over again....

Not to mention D. Cherry.. ok i wont. :mellow: 

Yeah, Marketing 101. I am hoping St Luie wins, I placed my post on boustin. It should be an interesting  series. Along with the clip.....

Blues in 7...history! 

Really is a chance of a great series. Both goalies are off the charts. The blues may give more physical than they've seen so far.

Well done Finland, well f-ing done.

the potential for the full 7 is there.  blues played a great road game until early in the second when the bruins came alive.  but they managed to pump a couple past rask so there's that.  need to get a split though.  at the start of the playoffs and up thread i propagated the "bruins are a one line team" thing....not true as it turns out, kreji is a great play off performer and that kuraly kid they have playing on the 4th line has been dynamite.  13 americans on the roster and 3 from Mass.

• Like 1

bruins in 5.

Consolation prize will be St Louis finally win a Stanley Cup Final game.

Bruins are not San Jose.  They were rusty after 10 days off but recovered quickly.

Stats say the team that wins 1st game takes the cup 77% of the time.   That is a crazy number compared to NBA or World Series.

The Bruins play like a crazy fucker on PCP with a loaded pistol out yelling in the street.  Never know WTF they are going to do next, and that is fucking with the opposition coaches trying to contain them.  First the Hurricanes and now the Blues. 

Daughter lives across the street from Caps training facility.  She asked if it was OK to hang her Bruins flag from her high rise balcony where they could see it coming to practice.

Told her to wait until the B's clinch the Cup..   ;<)

Marchand needs to sit for a while.    Maybe not a whole game, maybe just swap him down to 3rd line for Johansson and take him off the PP unit or something.

ya he was raging...victims were sticks and boards not blues but he was not happy.  oh, and is bergeron hurtin'?  with patrice hurt and marchand losin' his mind, the B's could be in trouble!

lot's of big hits in this series and a contrast of styles.  the bruins are speedy and like to carry the puck and the blues are big and like to chip, chase and bang it out in the corners.  the blues D is fucking huge.

ya he was raging...victims were sticks and boards not blues but he was not happy.  oh, and is bergeron hurtin'?  with patrice hurt and marchand losin' his mind, the B's could be in trouble!

lot's of big hits in this series and a contrast of styles.  the bruins are speedy and like to carry the puck and the blues are big and like to chip, chase and bang it out in the corners.  the blues D is fucking huge.

I'm impressed with the puck control and passing of the Blues. The bears just are opportunistic with set plays. 

On 5/17/2019 at 3:42 PM, chester said:

I'll give scoring ago for Mike using:"Zero for wrong team, 7 for winner in correct number of games, 6 for winner with one-off, 5 for two-off, etc.."

Keith, i don't think you made picks for the 2nd round.  The big winner in round 2 is (drum role) Dyslexic Dog, you had 3 of 4 teams

Dyslexic Dog 18

Hard aground 12

Chester 11

Mike 10

Peace frog 6

Tax Man 6

Figment 0

Bringing forward round 2 scores we have 2 round totals of:

Dyslexic Dog 37

Mike 36

Hard Aground 29

Chester 24

Tax Man 12

Peace Frog 10

Figment 9

Keith 0

I got a slightly different result for Dyslexic Dog ...

1. Dyslexic Dog     20

2. Chester     14

3. Hard Aground     12

4. Mikewof     10

5. Peacefrog     6

5. Tax Man     6

6. Figment      0

Semifinal SA ranking ...

1. Peacefrog    11

2. Chester    10

2. Dyslexic Dog     10

4. Figment    4

5. Hard Aground    0

5. Tax Man    0

5. Mike     0

thanks Mike...any way you count it looks Dyslexic Dog is the 2019 champion!  

good to see the Blues win last night.  yard work relegated me to checking in on the score every now and again but it sounds like they got the jump, scored early and played hard every shift...that will win a lot of games.

thanks Mike...any way you count it looks Dyslexic Dog is the 2019 champion!  

That's what I thought about Ottawa 9 months ago.

43 minutes ago, mikewof said:

That's what I thought about Ottawa 9 months ago.

dude, even i don't smoke that much pipe!

This schedule is utter horseshit.    Every-other-night scheduling until the finals when we go to every third or fourth night?   ugh.    By the time thursday rolls around I'll give even less of a shit about the game than I do now.

one final game, one final chance for me to have picked something correctly goddammit!

6 hours ago, chester said:

game 7 tonight!  a little bit of game seven final history from the NYT http://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/news/a-stanley-cup-game-7-looms-they-dont-happen-often/ar-AACM0r8?li=AAggNb9

Yeah, that one against Pits was the one that sticks in my craw. It was like they had to anoint Crosby with the cup and did everything possible to get there. I know I'm biased, but damn. 

• Like 1

Well.....that’s pretty close to the fat lady singing.......

• Credit to blues fans...filling the rink putting people Busch stadium too

36 minutes ago, chester said:
  • Credit to blues fans...filling the rink putting people Busch stadium too

Yep

41 minutes ago, chester said:

Ryan orielly says "fuck" on live national tv...awesome

They all said f*6k...........:lol:

Well done blues and their rookie goalie...a awesome game..

• Like 1

O'Reilly and Pietrangelo were huge.     I kinda feel like Parayko isn't getting due credit, that dude made a thousand very solid defensive plays very quietly.

Binnington... hot when it mattered.

Craig MnFing Berube.... holy crap I love that guy.

-----------------------

Over the course of these playoffs Rask showed himself to be better than I thought he was.    Still folded like a cheap suit in the end.    (you fuck ONE goat....)

Was Marchand always such a big liability defensively and I didn't see it? or did that just kinda become a thing over the last two series?

Pasta was a friggin ghost 5-on-5 in this series.   Also Bergeron though to a lesser degree.   Full credit to Blues D there.

In general I think Neely and Sweeney need to be looking critically at the whole roster.  Most of the key players in this postseason are the guys with the little paychecks.

Saw a rumor last night that Krug is looking to leave Boston.   That would be a colossal management blunder, but certainly in keeping with B's history.

Now NBA Game 6 tonight. Game 7 if necessary this Sunday. The French concluded this week with a good match (sort of), the US Open in Pebble starts today. Good week for sports.