aA

nhl '19

yup. bruins outshot them by  a wide margin but most of the shots weren't dangerous and when they did get a dangerous chance...binnigton.

Both.

The refs let the small stuff slide, and because the players all knew that one PP could turn the game there was no big stuff.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Figment said:

Both.

The refs let the small stuff slide, and because the players all knew that one PP could turn the game there was no big stuff.

I looked up the stats..........only ONE penalty assessed and that was against Blues for "Delay of Game". I don't think I've ever seen that before............you must be right.......

So.............an American team won the Stanley Cup and a Canadian team took the NBA championship.................things get curiouser and curiouser...........

Total Results for 2019 SA NHL Playoffs ...

1. Dyslexic Dog - 49
2. Chester - 44
3. Mike - 36
4. Hard Aground - 35
5. Peacefrog - 21
6. Figment - 13
7. Tax Man - 12
8. Keith - 0

9. Forever Slow - 0

I think that the spread between Dyslexic Dog, Chester, and the rest of us was the widest in three years.

19 minutes ago, Point Break said:

So.............an American team won the Stanley Cup and a Canadian team took the NBA championship.................things get curiouser and curiouser...........

Agreed with the Raptors, but the last time a Canadian team won the Stanley Cup was 26 years ago when the Habs beat the Kings. Given the number of Canadian teams in the NHL, this is statistically improbable with even a 20% bulge away from team parity, and since the lockout and the salary cap about twenty years ago, the NHL's parity is closer to 5%.

The analysis that seems to make the most sense to why Canadian teams aren't bringing home the Cup is because of the "nationalist" agenda of Canadian NHL teams. Canadian hockey fans want to see hometown heroes on the ice, and possibly with each shift, it's what fills seats, sells beer and drives TV views. So American teams are free to staff lines with players from anywhere, like Russia, Finland, Sweden and Czech Republic as their strategies demand. Americans don't seem to give a rat's ass that the star wing is Canadian or Finnish. But the Canadian teams try to edge Canadian players into lines where they may not be ideal. Some teams have had notorious foot-shooting incidents with this, like the Leafs.

3 minutes ago, mikewof said:

Agreed with the Raptors, but the last time a Canadian team won the Stanley Cup was 26 years ago when the Habs beat the Kings. Given the number of Canadian teams in the NHL, this is statistically improbable with even a 20% bulge away from team parity, and since the lockout and the salary cap about twenty years ago, the NHL's parity is closer to 5%.

The analysis that seems to make the most sense to why Canadian teams aren't bringing home the Cup is because of the "nationalist" agenda of Canadian NHL teams. Canadian hockey fans want to see hometown heroes on the ice, and possibly with each shift, it's what fills seats, sells beer and drives TV views. So American teams are free to staff third, second and even first lines with players from anywhere, like Russia, Finland, Sweden and Czech Republic as their strategies demand, Americans don't seem to give a rat's ass that the star wing is Canadian or Finnish. But the Canadian teams try to edge Canadian players into lines where they may not be ideal. Some teams have had notorious foot-shooting incidents with this, like the Leafs.

Dude....don't harsh my mellow.........

4 minutes ago, Point Break said:

Dude....don't harsh my mellow.........

Sorry, the stat is really weird though ... since the Habs' win 26 years ago, there have only been 4 Canadian team finalists to the Cup, even though there are 7 Canadian teams (adjusted for Atlanta's move to Winnipeg) out of a field of 31 teams. Statistically, this just should never happen unless there are some really corrosive forces at work in Canadian hockey.

Honestly, I think the whole NHL needs to be realigned again after Bettman's disaster from a few years ago, and one team needs to be added. We messed up a decent thing because Detroit didn't like the 2 hour time shift, even though they dominated the West. If the NHL doesn't do something, the NHL's slide is going to get even steeper. I would like to see a symmetrical realignment. A symmetrical realignment would get rid of the wild cards, and the silly 7 vs. 8 team playoffs.

The alignment below would make NHL so much better, in my opinion. And it would finally make peace with NHL's violent takeover of the WHL so many decades ago. The symmetry would allow the bestest part of all, a bunch of mini-cups within the Stanley Cup playoffs. So the losers of each round could compete in East-West mini-cups, the Shamrock All-Canada Cup, the Ocean Cup of Atlantic-Pacific, Central-West vs. Central-East, and Metropolitan vs. Rustic.

It would be so fucking awesome that my teeth hurt right now just thinking about it.

NHL EASTERN DIVISION

CANADA EAST
Leafs
Habs
Sens
Nordiques (expansion team)

ATLANTIC
Buffalo
Wings
Pens
Flyers

CENTRAL EAST
Lightning
Panthers
Canes
Caps

METROPOLITAN
Devils
Rangers
Bruins
Islanders

NHL WESTERN DIVISION

CANADA WEST
Flames
Oilers
Cannucks
Jets

PACIFIC
LA
Sharks
Ducks
Vegas

CENTRAL WEST
Jackets
Nashville
Blues
Hawks

RUSTIC
Dallas
Avs
Arizona
Wild

8 hours ago, Point Break said:

Si amigo,

An American team full of Canadians, and a Canadian team full of Americans...;)

• Like 1

All I want changed in the NHL is, the stupid lines in the corners where the goalies cant play the puck......<_<

its gotta go...

Who doesn't want to see a goalie throw an amazing pass to the breaking player at the other blue line...:)

• Like 1

On 6/14/2019 at 11:54 AM, Point Break said:

And most of the players on the American team were Canadian while most on the Canadian team were American! The blues were the most Canadian team in the league last year by nationality. 

• Like 1

On 6/14/2019 at 2:56 PM, mikewof said:

Sorry, the stat is really weird though ... since the Habs' win 26 years ago, there have only been 4 Canadian team finalists to the Cup, even though there are 7 Canadian teams (adjusted for Atlanta's move to Winnipeg) out of a field of 31 teams. Statistically, this just should never happen unless there are some really corrosive forces at work in Canadian hockey.

Honestly, I think the whole NHL needs to be realigned again after Bettman's disaster from a few years ago, and one team needs to be added. We messed up a decent thing because Detroit didn't like the 2 hour time shift, even though they dominated the West. If the NHL doesn't do something, the NHL's slide is going to get even steeper. I would like to see a symmetrical realignment. A symmetrical realignment would get rid of the wild cards, and the silly 7 vs. 8 team playoffs.

The alignment below would make NHL so much better, in my opinion. And it would finally make peace with NHL's violent takeover of the WHL so many decades ago. The symmetry would allow the bestest part of all, a bunch of mini-cups within the Stanley Cup playoffs. So the losers of each round could compete in East-West mini-cups, the Shamrock All-Canada Cup, the Ocean Cup of Atlantic-Pacific, Central-West vs. Central-East, and Metropolitan vs. Rustic.

It would be so fucking awesome that my teeth hurt right now just thinking about it.

NHL EASTERN DIVISION

CANADA EAST
Leafs
Habs
Sens
Nordiques (expansion team)

ATLANTIC
Buffalo
Wings
Pens
Flyers

CENTRAL EAST
Lightning
Panthers
Canes
Caps

METROPOLITAN
Devils
Rangers
Bruins
Islanders

NHL WESTERN DIVISION

CANADA WEST
Flames
Oilers
Cannucks
Jets

PACIFIC
LA
Sharks
Ducks
Vegas

CENTRAL WEST
Jackets
Nashville
Blues
Hawks

RUSTIC
Dallas
Avs
Arizona
Wild

I dunno. I put the blue jackets in instead of the wings in the Atlantic division (I’d also rename it). 

And your rustic group puts a lot of travel time in for Minnesota. 

Your mini-cup idea sounds vaguely like an argument I read  for every MLB team getting a shot at the playoffs. 

10 hours ago, mgs said:

I dunno. I put the blue jackets in instead of the wings in the Atlantic division (I’d also rename it). 

And your rustic group puts a lot of travel time in for Minnesota. 

Your mini-cup idea sounds vaguely like an argument I read  for every MLB team getting a shot at the playoffs. 

I don't know of a way to avoid travel for some outlier teams, but Detroit holds the deal-killer on realignment, our current situation was partly due to Detroit's insistence that they didn't want to travel so much in the Western conference. Now they're essentially still a Western team that has to play Eastern hockey, and their era of dominant "reloading" is done for now.

MLB is the opposite of NHL because there is so little parity in MLB, given the lack of salary cap. One-game "cups" are popular in the NHL like the Winter Classic, and Quebec needs a team.

As far as travel, Edmonton logs some insane travel hours, and I've never heard a complaint out of them about it. The American teams are sometimes pansies with the travel ... the distance from Minnesota to Dallas is only about 15% longer than Denver to Dallas, and it's still less than Edmonton to Vancouver. The real outlier there is Winnipeg, but c'est la vie ... if the NHL can't handle western travel distances, then they shouldn't have murdered the Western Hockey League by capturing Gretzky. 

10 hours ago, mikewof said:

I don't know of a way to avoid travel for some outlier teams, but Detroit holds the deal-killer on realignment, our current situation was partly due to Detroit's insistence that they didn't want to travel so much in the Western conference. Now they're essentially still a Western team that has to play Eastern hockey, and their era of dominant "reloading" is done for now.

MLB is the opposite of NHL because there is so little parity in MLB, given the lack of salary cap. One-game "cups" are popular in the NHL like the Winter Classic, and Quebec needs a team.

As far as travel, Edmonton logs some insane travel hours, and I've never heard a complaint out of them about it. The American teams are sometimes pansies with the travel ... the distance from Minnesota to Dallas is only about 15% longer than Denver to Dallas, and it's still less than Edmonton to Vancouver. The real outlier there is Winnipeg, but c'est la vie ... if the NHL can't handle western travel distances, then they shouldn't have murdered the Western Hockey League by capturing Gretzky. 

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/23244608/radical-ideas-series-every-mlb-team-made-playoffs?platform=amp

this is what I was thinking of.

also I think you mean Quebec needs another hockey team. Hamilton, on the other hand, thinks they need one. 

The WHL was before my time, but I thought Gretzky joined because of an age issue, too young to play in the nhl or something 

2 hours ago, mgs said:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/23244608/radical-ideas-series-every-mlb-team-made-playoffs?platform=amp

this is what I was thinking of.

also I think you mean Quebec needs another hockey team. Hamilton, on the other hand, thinks they need one. 

The WHL was before my time, but I thought Gretzky joined because of an age issue, too young to play in the nhl or something 

Quebec lost the Nordiques to Denver in part because of the separatism movement up there, the ownership was concerned that the team would lose value. Getting a second French team is kind of important to me, I used to listen to the French NHL broadcasts on an AM radio skip. The Habs now have their French simulcast on the internet stream.

Back when Gretzky was lighting up Edmonton, they were a WHL team, along with the Cunucks, the Portland Buckaroos, Seattle Totems and Denver Spurs, among others. (My memory may fail me on some of these names, but I remember my Spurs fondly.) The Flames were still in Atlanta, but Denver later got their farm team.

The NHL kept coming up with comically higher bids to move Gretzky into the NHL, but the WHL owners nixed it every time, he was too valuable at the ticket office to every city he visited. It's hard to imagine it now, but at any given moment, Gretz would have at least one assigned defender/goon, sometimes too. He could practically handle the lines on his own, like an adult playing with a flock of Mighty Mites.

Finally the NHL agreed to buy a chunk of the NHL (Edmonton and Vancouver) to get Gretzky, possibly as a hostile takeover, though that isn't too clear. That pretty much disemboweled the remaining WHL teams, and the NHL then spent the next few decades (even as recently as the Vegas Knights) pushing westward.

But oddly, Gretzky was never actually drafted by the NHL, he was ACQUIRED by the NHL in a takeover, built from the ground up to capture a single player.

Every sport has its own Great Ones, but Gretzky was so much The Great One that he triggered a hostile corporate takeover.

The NHL has never made peace with Western hockey and the tighter play that tends to happen out West, imo.

As for the MLB, that whole gently corroding sport would probably benefit from a salary cap.

The whole regional-realignment thing is tough for most of the league to really care about, I think.    The western teams will forever be fucked by travel times and broadcast times, and the Atlantic and Metro divisions will forever be bus-trips.

The notion of making exclusively-canadian divisions is interesting, but I dunno that it really matters.

Actual rule changes affect everyone and are a bit more engaging.

I loathe dump-and-chase so I'm ok with eliminating the no-touch zones for the goalies.   The idea of disallowing line changes when the goalie freezes a shot which originated in neutral zone is good I think.  The idea of eliminating the icing-exemption for PK is intriguing, I'd love to see that tested in some lower-leagues.  The idea of the PP team choosing the first faceoff location is interesting and the broadcasters will love having something else to talk about but the actual impact has to be infinitesimal.