JdP

J80 gin pole

Does anyone have a design/measurements for a J80 gin pole. I plan to cut an old mast as the pole. It seems that the gin pole should reach about two feet above the lower spreaders of the J80 mast. Any suggestions?  Thank you

That will be plenty long. Ours had fixed length sidestays with clips that snapped on to stanchion bases. Forestay was block and tackle with cam cleat. Connect sidestays, then connect and snug up the forestay. Base was a block of wood shaped to the profile of the deck padded with hydroturf.

Block and tackle makes an okay halyard, but we used a ratching trailer winch mounted on the pole. That way, only two people required. One to control the mast butt, one to crank and undo any tangles that invariably appear. Careful with the mast butt as the mast will be top heavy when lifted by the lower spreaders.

Edit: Regarding pole length, I assume you mean from the bottom of the mast (not deck) to 2 feet above the lower spreaders. I don't remember how long ours was, but I wanna say 20'.

When we were making them we looked for the mast balance point and then went from there. Find the balance point, measure up from the keel/deck and then figure it out. Was weird but sometimes skying halyards at the end of events helped whereas not skying them didn't matter when putting up the rig. 

Still, even at the lowers, the mast is not that top heavy. One hand is all you need. Just be mindful and do not let go to untangle stuff, or whatever.

Have done several. The fulcrum point is 16" above the lower spreaders. The rig is easy to balance even if you tie off at the lowers. The key is to have the gin pole slightly tilted forward so the rig can fit in the deck hole.  The nicest one was a Houston owner that found an F 27 trimaran carbon mast section and made one.