Baldur

A Ship in the Harbour is Safe....

.... But that is not what ships are made for. 

Well in my experience, the ships may be safe, but we aren't. I've lost 4 friends around boats; 3 in the harbour, and 1 close call. Only 1 at sea. 

Here is another (not personally known to me) loss in a marina. 

Why is the marina so dangerous? Is it because this is where we are complacent?

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/country-star-alan-jacksons-son-law-dies-unexpectedly-fall-less-one-year-fairytale-wedding-mattie-jackson-154927206.html 

Geez, sounds like he had the world by the tail.

Sad stuff 

A couple of people have been pulled out of our club waters still alive. Catwalks, the stray nails sticking up and arms loaded with gear can spell disaster. Mostly older folks here who passed out on meds or tripped on catwalks and there were no ladders to get back out.(The club has since installed several well marked ladders!)

A real and constant danger in marinas and around docks is stray electrical current due to improper grounding. There are a few people killed early in the season in this area when they go swimming and someone has a bad ground comin from their property. The swimmer touches an aluminum ladder or anything grounding and it’s over. Unfortunately it’s usually innocent kids and not the guy cleaning his boat bottom...

We haven’t lost anyone to common falls or alcohol...

Article doesn't say how/where he fell..... down the companionway? Overboard? Off the dock? Seen people injured that way (and narrowly escaped it myself) but can imagine it being fatal.

It's a shame and a tragedy, my sympathy and condolences to the family

FB- Doug

14 hours ago, Baldur said:

.... But that is not what ships are made for. 

Well in my experience, the ships may be safe, but we aren't. I've lost 4 friends around boats; 3 in the harbour, and 1 close call. Only 1 at sea. 

Here is another (not personally known to me) loss in a marina. 

Why is the marina so dangerous? Is it because this is where we are complacent?

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/country-star-alan-jacksons-son-law-dies-unexpectedly-fall-less-one-year-fairytale-wedding-mattie-jackson-154927206.html 

Law of averages, more boats tied up in marinas than at sea. 

• Like 1

I would have to agree with that, Mad.  Except for those personally known to me that were lost, or nearly lost, were very very active sailors. 

4 hours ago, mad said:

Law of averages, more boats tied up in marinas than at sea. 

It's odd.  When I was a kid. there were no marinas in Ireland.  Several sailors lost while sailing.  I recall one lost on a night watch at sea, another killed by a boom in round-the-buoys-racing, and some in the 79 Fastnet.  But nobody lost in a harbour.

Are marinas breeding complacency?

Complacency would be my guess. It's the same bit of dirty details that nails pilots flying aircraft with conventional landing gear... taildraggers. They stop flying the aircraft 'til it's tied down, on account of that "the aircraft's on the ground, everything's safe and sound" mentality. One good gust of wind and the aircraft ground loops.

The boat's tied up to the dock. It's safe. I'm safe. All is well... 'til it ain't.

• Like 1

Ha! Nah, that's an obvious failure to adequately tie up/down.

I was thinking more like this:

(Note the blatant lack of crosswind technique...)

9 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

You mean like this

Holy fuck.

18 minutes ago, Ajax said:

Holy fuck.

Ajax interesting reaction...you are probably not alone for those looking for news about Typhoon Mangkhut.  

That is from a News site Twitter feed @srbnews0 who say "Our job is to tell the truth and just the truth."

They at least didn't add in the trucks.

Google "Into the Storm Movie" 

tumblr_n3s8zexc4i1tvbqdro1_500.gif

<facepalm> so that was a clip from a movie? I feel like a dunce.