James Walker IOM

Corby 33 Rebuild

HI

I have taken on a Major rebuild of a Corby 33

Before the nay sayers start i know what i have taken on and i will be poor for the rest of my life etc etc etc

Would like some constructive assistance with regards to the missing components

Mainly Keel Bulb. John Corby advises it should be 1.8T torpedo. Does anybody know of a bulb in existence or a mould? 

Other essential parts to start with are chain plates, backstay fitting and tiller.

Obviously all being done on a budget :-)

Any assistance gratefully received. 

What happened to the original? :blink:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, James Walker IOM said:

it is attached to something else i believe

Sounds as if you’ll be getting a new one cast, do you have the fin still?  I’m JC will be able to advise you on options available, might be combined as part of an upgrade process. 

Which boat is it? 

57 minutes ago, mad said:

Which boat is it?  

You know Mad, if you just take some few seconds to read ... in this case the thread heading  then .... you would know. A Corby 33. Nice boat.

//J

Well, he did say "Which" boat,  not "what"  boat.  For me that sort of implies he feels he might know the boat.  Just sayin'

End of defense of Mad. 

• Like 3

i got a new keel designed for my boat but used an existing bulb design and mould, about 1300kg. The new fin is fabricated mild steel plate, designed to fit the existing floors in the boat. The Whole lot was done by Greg Elliott, and wasn't super expensive, and what a nice dude. There is another thread for chainplates.

What an exiting project, good on you.

15 hours ago, Jaramaz said:

You know Mad, if you just take some few seconds to read ... in this case the thread heading  then .... you would know. A Corby 33. Nice boat.

//J

There’s a lot of 30-35 foot Corby boats.... obviously one owned by sarcastic prick that’s looking for a keel. 

Other than having a pointy front end, what does a Corby 33 look like?

1 hour ago, mad said:

There’s a lot of 30-35 foot Corby boats.... obviously one owned by sarcastic prick that’s looking for a keel. 

Umm mad... Different poster than the OP

4 hours ago, Rushman said:

Umm mad... Different poster than the OP

Doh!! :huh:

5 hours ago, mad said:

Doh!! :huh:

you know this I said about reading .... 

Then, it must be said,  you do live up to your avatar.

:ph34r:

//J

On the bulb issue:

I believe that http://www.ironsbrothers.com/ made the keels/bulbs for some of the Corby boats. Depending on where your 33 was built they might be able to make you a new bulb.

I believe that there were several versions (at least 2) of the 33 built

I'm late to the party here but several years back we worked with JC on a 2-handed optimization for the Corby 33, alas shelved due to uncertainty over whether to rework an older version or how/who a new hull to mold.  I also recommend Iron Brothers, they do smaller projects as well as large and have a strong (literally and figuratively) reputation.  When we looked at the 33 we wanted a new bulb, slightly heavier and shifted aft as recommended by John, to offset the loss of rail weight.   Good luck with the resurrection/refurb, and the past and current Corby club tends to be very helpful with questions and suggestions.

James Walker IOM, have you forsaken us?

Sorry for the lack of posting. The boat has arrived and has been stripped / cleaned ready for the temperature to rise to start the fibreglass work. Lots of bits still to find, the keel bulb is the main issue to resolve. I shall get a picture when it goes into the shed :-)

Keel bulbs seem to be in great demand lately. We have a leftover stubby keel for a 4ksb sitting at home. Literally minutes after advertising it online I had a guy calling me to ask how big it is as he is looking for 3T of lead.

So update time

Project Flibble (dont ask) is in the shed and repairs have commenced. We have had to wait for the temperature to rise sufficiently to work with the epoxy.

I will post some pictures as soon as i have them but basically the main hole isnt as bad as it looked. A mould has been taken of a faired  shape of the hull and the repair will happen from the inside out. The builder is confident the repair will return the vessel to A1 condition which is exactly what we needed. 

Problems: both Jefa rudder bearings were shot so a new set has been ordered. This is required at this stage due to the rudder tube assembly being removed at some stage. Lining this up without a keel is going to be fun so and suggestions would be appreciated. I have got some measurements of a sister boat which will get us most of the way there.

Rebuilding the Stern should be fairly simple. The Corby signature lattice was removed to mould for a new boat. Although we still have it its beyond saving so the intention is to place a stiffener across the stern and leave it open. Thinking a 1 inch carbon tube or box but im open to suggestions. The coach roof will just need re attaching and making good. Obviously this area is very structurally important part of the boat so will need to be treated with care.

Keel bulb is the main last piece of the JigSaw. So if anyone has a bulb or a mould for a Corby 33 please get in touch.

Will update when i can

James

Why does the transom need a support across? Most boats with aft opening cockpits survive without. 

7 hours ago, Alcatraz5768 said:

Why does the transom need a support across? Most boats with aft opening cockpits survive without. 

As long as they were designed to have an open transom.  Corby has that "lattice" frame as mentioned.  Whether it is necessary or is just a Corby signature - IDK.  It does look kind of cool though IMO.

HI all

Sorry its been a long time since any update. Children, illness, WAGS and general life got in the way a little.

Anyway we are making excellent progress. Boat is now structurally sound and is being prepped for paint inside and out.

Still struggling with the Keel bulb but will really think of that when i have earn't some more boat vouchers.

cont1.jpg

IMG-20200615-WA0002.jpeg

IMG-20200615-WA0004.jpeg

IMG-20200615-WA0006.jpeg

• Like 3

Did you try Iron Bros?

They've been the go to guys for this kind of thing forever, the one off lead keel on my MGC was cast by them in the early nineties and you would think it had been designed for the boat. (Which I guess it was technically, but you know what I mean)

Seems unlikely that a keel will come up on the second hand market most people would probably try and weight it in rather than hang onto it.

Yep Iron brothers are who i have in mind to build the keel. 

I will get John Corby to make a design for the pattern.

I have been in touch with them both

Thats the plan at the moment anyway. 

Makes sense as he designed the boat to start with. 

He did my rig redesign for me last winter, found him very easy to work with. 
Remember to take lots of pics for us! 

Ready for the first coat of paint. White on the stern structure and companionway.

Hull colour going on next week hopefully

Flibble1.jpg

Flibble2.jpg

• Like 3

OOOOHHHHHHH!

13 hours ago, James Walker IOM said:

And she is back out into the light

Lillee 1.jpg

I could really learn to hate you.

No question now - I really, really hate you.