Sign in to follow this  
Wet Spreaders

There's Got To be A Word For It....

....probably in German. Here goes:

It's dark outside with a light drizzle and a chill wind. You walk into your kitchen and smell... something... rotting garbage - The can under the sink is full. So you look outside, you think about walking back into the living room to watch the game, but a little internal voice and sense of family responsibility takes over and you decide to take care of it. So you open the cupboard door, pull the bag out, knot it, and head for the back door in your slippers to make an unpleasant dash to the trash cans around the side of your house. Just as you reach for the back door, your wife yells from another room, with a disrespectful tone "Hey! Before you grab another beer and settle yourself, empty the kitchen trash for the first time in your lazy life" - or words to that effect - instantly sucking away the slightly warm feeling of taking care of a nasty chore and replacing it with a sensation of < something >.   

What's the name for the sensation of being "ordered" to do something unpleasant that you're already voluntarily doing?

53 minutes ago, Wet Spreaders said:

What's the name for the sensation of being "ordered" to do something unpleasant that you're already voluntarily doing?

KISS....married....

Can't recall it at the moment  . . .

But I'm thinking it's more Yiddish than German. 

2 hours ago, Wet Spreaders said:

....probably in German.

Flachwichser??????    :P

3 hours ago, Wet Spreaders said:

It's dark outside with a light drizzle and a chill wind. You walk into your kitchen and smell... something... rotting garbage - The can under the sink is full. So you look outside, you think about walking back into the living room to watch the game, but a little internal voice and sense of family responsibility takes over and you decide to take care of it. So you open the cupboard door, pull the bag out, knot it, and head for the back door in your slippers to make an unpleasant dash to the trash cans around the side of your house. Just as you reach for the back door, your wife yells from another room, with a disrespectful tone "Hey! Before you grab another beer and settle yourself, empty the kitchen trash for the first time in your lazy life" - or words to that effect - instantly sucking away the slightly warm feeling of taking care of a nasty chore and replacing it with a sensation of < something >.   

How about subservient. Your wife is condescending.

17 minutes ago, Bluto said:

How about subservient. Your wife is condescending.

I always thought Condescending was a Greek elevator driver

There's a word for putting the trash back under the sink, grabbing a beer and turning the TV up so you can't hear her - passive-aggressive. If Eskimos have 50 words for snow because they see a lot of it, I'm sure there's a word in some language for the instant dissipation of enthusiasm and goodwill that occurs when you get told to do a chore that you are already doing voluntarily; that shit happens all the time.

5 hours ago, Wet Spreaders said:

Anger.

2 hours ago, Wet Spreaders said:

There's a word for putting the trash back under the sink, grabbing a beer and turning the TV up so you can't hear her - passive-aggressive. If Eskimos have 50 words for snow because they see a lot of it, I'm sure there's a word in some language for the instant dissipation of enthusiasm and goodwill that occurs when you get told to do a chore that you are already doing voluntarily; that shit happens all the time.

Stage 1 lakanookie

stage 2 alimony

Poltergeist.

It wsn't you.

4 hours ago, Wet Spreaders said:

Regression. 

3 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Anger.

I don't think so. I think it's different than that because you come from a happy place of doing a Good Thing into the crappy place so quickly. I think we have discovered a new human emotion - kind of like when that Japanese guy described the umami taste in the 1980's. There's a Nobel Prize in it, I'm sure.

16 hours ago, SailBlueH2O said:

KISS....married....

^^^^^We have a winner^^^^

Where's that Sam Kinison bit about everyone else is bringing their balls but his wife won't let him bring his.

2 hours ago, More Cowbell2 said:

^^^^^We have a winner^^^^

Where's that Sam Kinison bit about everyone else is bringing their balls but his wife won't let him bring his.

"Ah come on honey............all the other guys will have theirs............"

Deflation.

Here we go.

• Like 1

It might be the opposite of:  About an hour after a few words from her on spending and saving, with appropriate and genuine agreement on my part, the doorbell rings, the dogs bark, and Amazon drops off the new guitar case.  "Oh yeah, uh, ordered that a while back...".

On reflection I can safely say she is condespending.  

Not a word, but I think it is "getting the life sucked out of you."

On 9/18/2018 at 7:42 PM, Wet Spreaders said:

....     ...     ... If Eskimos have 50 words for snow because they see a lot of it, I'm sure there's a word in some language for the instant dissipation of enthusiasm and goodwill that occurs when you get told to do a chore that you are already doing voluntarily; that shit happens all the time.

One of my Navy pals who had maried his high school sweetheart gave me some very good advice when he heard I was getting married (after he realized I was serious..... it took a couple of days to convince him I wasn't trying to pull some kind of joke on him):

"This is sure to happen, or it may already have happened. She tells you to do something that you are already doing, or doing the thing you have to do to get ready to do the thing she wants you to (and she doesn't have a clue). Your first instinct is to get mad. Why? You shouldn't, because you are in agreement on the thing you're doing. You should be happy."

"But it's difficult to be happy under those circumstances. What you can do, if you can't be happy that you agree, is to say something like 'what a good idea honey, I'll get right to work on that.' You're taking refuge in sarcasm, sure, but it's good practice. If she figures it out, you can tell her now she knows how it feels, and if she doesn't figure it out, your mood improves a lot right there."

Mrs Steam figured it out in about three years or so. This particular Navy pal was one of her favorites of my pre-marriage friends and it shocked her that eh would give such advice. Then a few years later, she realized that it actually -is- good advice.

-DSK

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

One of my Navy pals who had maried his high school sweetheart gave me some very good advice when he heard I was getting married (after he realized I was serious..... it took a couple of days to convince him I wasn't trying to pull some kind of joke on him):

"This is sure to happen, or it may already have happened. She tells you to do something that you are already doing, or doing the thing you have to do to get ready to do the thing she wants you to (and she doesn't have a clue). Your first instinct is to get mad. Why? You shouldn't, because you are in agreement on the thing you're doing. You should be happy."

"But it's difficult to be happy under those circumstances. What you can do, if you can't be happy that you agree, is to say something like 'what a good idea honey, I'll get right to work on that.' You're taking refuge in sarcasm, sure, but it's good practice. If she figures it out, you can tell her now she knows how it feels, and if she doesn't figure it out, your mood improves a lot right there."

Mrs Steam figured it out in about three years or so. This particular Navy pal was one of her favorites of my pre-marriage friends and it shocked her that eh would give such advice. Then a few years later, she realized that it actually -is- good advice.

-DSK

My significant other doesn't do sarcasm. Or any other form of humour... 

If you are married to the person you love, let the little shit slide away and treasure every moment. You never know.....

• Like 4

On 9/19/2018 at 5:43 AM, Wet Spreaders said:

she who must be obeyed :)

yes dear .  

coming ..................................

yes dear .

right away dear .

yes dear .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ease the sheet. said:

My significant other doesn't do sarcasm. Or any other form of humour... 

That's bad.

No-one should ever marry a woman who has no sense of humour.

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

That's bad.

No-one should ever marry a woman who has no sense of humour.

Well, I had a moustache when we first started dating. She must of had a sense of humour once.

Actually,  I remember her laughing watching me capsize my laser.

• Like 1