MauiPunter

Frigoboat Capri 35F

I need to vacuum and recharge the condenser of my refrigerator and there doesn't seem to be any documentation of how many pounds of R134a I need to pre-charge the compressor unit before I hook it up to my new evaporator unit.  I called Coastal Climate Control, who is the importer for these units and they wouldn't give out the number over the phone and suggested I just keep adding refrigerant until the system frosts up evenly not intruding down the copper tube.  This kinda seems ridiculous to me and don really understand why they cant disclose this number.  Even a ballpark figure would be great so I atleast know what the basis is and tune from there.   Has anyone figured out a ballpark figure on the amount of R134a is needed to recharge the condenser?

3 hours ago, Zonker said:

I'm going to say "ounces" not pounds...

Yup. Page 11  http://files.danfoss.com/TechnicalInfo/Dila/06/bd_compressors_04-2007_pk100c802.pdf

300 grams. That is just for the compressor, not the system. But the volume in the piping/evaporator plate is pretty minimal.

You rock!  This is exactly what I am looking for.  Thanks!!

The amount listed is the static charge, after the box reaches setpoint, and cycles off, you should not see any frost on the suction line outside the box. Frost back = overcharged.

Keep in mind that the cap tube is very small, and if you get ANY non-condensables in the system you will destroy it.