Sign in to follow this  
JoeBleaux

General fucking recall

This video is absolutely amazing. The blood-curdling scream at @20 sec as the teal boat comes back down on the line on port tack is my favorite part.

• Like 2

ADD ... apt boat name considering the attention deficit disordered' helmsman.

• Like 3

Funny enough it stands for Another Dubious Decision. Really nice guys and usually pretty good sailors, just not in this particular instance. Makes for a great video though.

23 minutes ago, Leon T said:

• Like 2

What's with boat on starboard tack at pin-end who's over with like 29 seconds to go? She's just sailing off into the sunset?

25 minutes ago, Leon T said:

What's with boat on starboard tack at pin-end who's over with like 29 seconds to go? She's just sailing off into the sunset?

Haha I saw that too. She thought the one minute was the start and they are just killing the fleet.

• Like 3

...and since its a general, ADD is free and clear to fuck it up again (and the little damage he did cause may get cleared away once he goes to the ColRegs!!)

They should  vote him  off the island!!!

1 hour ago, JoeBleaux said:

Funny enough it stands for Another Dubious Decision. Really nice guys and usually pretty good sailors, just not in this particular instance. Makes for a great video though.

Diving straight back into the boat end of the line with seconds to go doesn’t fit any definition of good sailors. Having said that, we’ve all made some pretty bone-headed decisions, so assuming they owned up to damages caused, it’s all forgive and forget and have a good laugh at the bar. 

• Like 1

Man,  the ol' Crazy Ivan back into starting traffic ?  That guys buys drinks for a LONG time for that one.  They were so early they could have rounded the committee and still had a decent 2nd-row start.

I mean,  they might really BE great guys and all,  but I wouldn't want them working as school crossing guards.

• Like 5

So because the fucking race was fucking abandoned they fucking get away with it. (?)

Great, just fucking great.

23 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

They should be made to wear pink for a year 

and Mt. Gay hats...........

Make them sail this piece of junk.

30 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

4A052401-360B-4701-88E3-055096E211C5.jpeg

1 minute ago, JoeBleaux said:

Make them sail this piece of junk.

4A052401-360B-4701-88E3-055096E211C5.jpeg

Did she give birth to a big litter? What a bizarre shape.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ishmael said:

Oune calfe wille do it                       :)

Pretty sure it used to be someone’s front door.

7 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

WTF is the rudder looking thing ?

9 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Was going to say that Is the most pregnant boat I have ever seen.

2 hours ago, SailBlueH2O said:

And old Mount Gay hats. (sorry, did not read all the way down in the thread until after posting)

Plus apologize to the fleet at the bar.

- Stumbling

I think the chap in the exorcist green vomit boat has a real handle on the sport. Bravo.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SailBlueH2O said:

waste of good paint~~~~

That paint cost us $68.00/gallon from Mobile Paint in Metairie, LA.  One gallon used.  https://blpmobilepaint.com/pds/72-xx-xx.pdf  If it wasn't for the man hours we'd paint Girl a different color every year.  Lime green boot stripe to go on shortly.  My condolences to A.D.D.  She's proven once again to be a very hard boat to slow down.

I don't think ADD "gets away with it." She was racing from her prep signal until the general recall was signaled, and broke multiple rules.

I can't find the reference but seem to remember something about a boat that breaks a rule not during a race can be penalized for the race nearest in time to the penalty. So I believe they should be penalized in the following race. 

I used to sail in a fleet that had a Puck Up Trophy (old hockey trophy) that was awarded to the boat that had the biggest fuck up of the year.  If they have such a thing, go ahead and get it engraved.  

17 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Either I need new glasses ASAP or that pink boat is not only 8 months pregnant, she is a twin keel boat missing one keel :unsure:

Tricky reflection, I think. I looked and looked and looked at it, trying to figure out WTF.

Quarter Tonner from back in the day..... these are the boats that made J-24s looks so good, everybody wanted one.

FB- Doug

13 hours ago, Ishmael said:

if you turn it over it kind of looks  orca shaped...    that rudder, there's a full length mirror on the other side..

11 hours ago, JoeBleaux said:

Aerial video

who the fuck is in the little white boat that luffed up for no stupid reason and couldn't fucking figure out how to get moving again,  fucked the whole thing up.. why was he blowing off speed at that point,  they should have been hard to the line,  and you can see their fine seamanship as they bounce off the CB

Seems to me a bunch of this might have come about as a function of having everyone starting on a beam reach instead of upwind. ADD is clearly wrong but it seems as if they thought they could just bear away and run the line a bit till they got carried away and took a run at the rest of the fleet. Looking at the drone footage its already turning into a giant pile up at 20 seconds to go.

I went through a similar stupid start recently in a supposedly fun race. Prior to the race, the wind direction for the start would have been upwind but in the last 5 minutes before the start everything swung right almost 90 degrees and I simply don't think most boats skippers caught the news flash and the majority of them lined up as if it were to be a regular upwind start, meaning they were all barging by a country mile. My Dad was driving our very cruisey 43 and lined up half the fleet on the layline for the right end of the line  and locked the whole pack out, he knew we could not win the race and it was just for fun so he figured he'd have fun with the rest of the fleet, who were clearly in the wrong. Hold them to account as it were as 90% of the boats to weather of us were racers and figured they could simply intimidate the boat with the bimini. (Dad has won a few worlds and raced for 40 years, he's no slouch on the helm even at 78)

Cognitive dissonance soon followed, how could it be the fat assed Bene was sailing so high and calling everyone (Mostly racey types) that they had to head up and that we would not yield? There was yelling and screaming from all to weather that they "couldn't make it around the boat! OMG". I calmly pointed out to them that this was the point. More yelling and then gradually it dawned on them that he was shutting the door on them and they'd have to hit him, hit the boat, or bail to windward.

5 boats turned up to bail, then when the gun went off, they simply kept sailing to weather having entirely skipped the start line. I was impressed that the most litigious of the skippers to his credit actually bailed, then circled around and started properly. All the others, not so much.

I was both shocked and disappointed to see so many obstensibly "good" sailors take such a shitty sequence of actions. It would not have mattered if we were a laser, a TP52 or a Magregor 26, we clearly had rights from way before the start. My 14 year old non racing son even pointed it out.

Again, I think most of them simply had their heads in the bilge and missed the rather obvious wind shift and never moved the race track in their minds to follow reality.

No paint got scratched however, we had a good giggle on our boat and at the end of the day it was only blowing 4 knots so it was all a slow motion shit show, but man, junior club level shit on the race course. Dissapointing.

Again, had the line been more square in the traditional sense in the video, I imagine it might have had less fur on it.

Yes, the screaming was great. Brace for impact!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Some more pix of the pink boat...sure looks like that keel is off-center.

Pink%201.jpg

Pink%202.jpg

Does the E dimension of the main look like it's on the crazy short side? 

20 hours ago, Leon T said:

ADD actually is short for Another Dubious Decision.  Foreshadowing?

41 minutes ago, yeahbuoy said:

ADD actually is short for Another Dubious Decision.  Foreshadowing?

Considering they could have easily rounded the committee boat and still had an ok start? yep.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

Pink%201.jpg

Pink%202.jpg

Is that for real??

I mean seriously.  Real?

4 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

who the fuck is in the little white boat that luffed up for no stupid reason and couldn't fucking figure out how to get moving again,  fucked the whole thing up.. why was he blowing off speed at that point,  they should have been hard to the line,  and you can see their fine seamanship as they bounce off the CB

yep....

Keel is on straight, or mostly straight probably. But to be very clear, it’s still a POS. 

1 hour ago, Hitchhiker said:

Is that for real??

I mean seriously.  Real?

Yes, the boom is short.  Only 8' for a 25' boat.  But don't worry, the gooseneck is really high up so it doesn't look overly high aspect.

3.jpg

5.jpg

5 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

still somehow went over early too

I like the boat up on the pin side with the black jib and white main, who is a full boat-length past the line before the start horn, but doesn't seem to make any attempt to go back around, presumably hoping no one noticed.

• Like 1

I'm with Blunted on this one - reaching starts introduce drama 100% of the time, and they enable T-boning at speeds that cannot happen easily with lines set more squarely.

I counted four boats over early, do we agree with the general recall decision? Tough call to make in the heat of the moment. I probably would have decided that too, but on reflection, I think it would have been OK to keep running the race and call each transgressor back, especially obviously ADD, to atone for their terrible decision(s) rather than reboot the whole fleet and erase the consequences from the racing record.

Given the lack of urgency by several boats in the drone footage, I'm guessing there were multiple fleets gathered around waiting for their sequences to begin. They were not being very sportsmanlike about it.

That mess on the start is what happens when you drink Chicory coffee. Or even chicory in tea as in this video. According to this voodoo queen of sorts, chicory will induce abortions as we see happen in the aborted race start!

22 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Pink%201.jpg

Pink%202.jpg

Thats to offset the coriolis force in the northern hemisphere.   If the boat was sent to the Southern hemisphere, they would have to drop the keel and mount it on the starboard side of the centerline.

- Stumbling

On 9/20/2018 at 8:02 PM, jack_sparrow said:

Not sitting square on hoist or designed for only port tack.

Offset campoinway, perhaps?

On 9/21/2018 at 2:03 PM, r.finn said:

Yes, the boom is short.  Only 8' for a 25' boat.  But don't worry, the gooseneck is really high up so it doesn't look overly high aspect.

3.jpg

5.jpg

Love it finnster. The pink paint job reminds me of my friends Pegoretti which was also just all pink. It's cool. Even Pegoretti could see that and he was a real artist. Nice shots too. Thanks.

42 minutes ago, Dark Cloud said:

Why the fuck does ADD have its Nav lights on?

volvo's started with the daytime running lights in the 80's.

I'm surprised ADD didn't have a lawn bowls hat sitting on the stern.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, duncan (the other one) said:

volvo's started with the daytime running lights in the 80's.

I'm surprised ADD didn't have a lawn bowls hat sitting on the stern.

And a box of tissues above the companionway

4 hours ago, Dark Cloud said:

They are solar powered ........... FFS

On 9/21/2018 at 10:47 PM, Hitchhiker said:
On 9/21/2018 at 9:20 PM, Ishmael said:

Pink%201.jpg

Pink%202.jpg

Is that for real??

I mean seriously.  Real?

It looks like it was painted with Pepto-Bismol.  :blink:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dark Cloud said:

Because these are Wed Night races and they always finish after sunset.  Better to have them on early than send someone below to turn them on during a 6 mile race.

On 9/23/2018 at 3:27 PM, duncan (the other one) said:

volvo's started with the daytime running lights in the 80’s.

I had a Volvo in the 80’s and it was a cunt of a thing to start.