Blue Crab

Ancor Comments and Question

So we had a hurricane in Beaufort. I anchored out and did not stay on the boat. Cal 29. About 10' pre-surge depth in sandy mud.

Comments:

A pal loaned me a 45# CQR, the Scottish one with 50 feet of 3/8 chain. 100' good 1/2 nylon.

My #1: 22# Rocna, Made in China. 20' 1/4 chain. New 150' 5/8 nylon.

I dragged a bit. So today i picked up the gear. I was surprised at how relatively easy the CQR came up. My winch was the old-fashioned one manpower kind. One well worn, 76 yr old man power with electrical issues.

The Rocna was another story. Took me about 30 minutes to break it out in 10' of water with the engine. I think it was trying to return to the factory.

Question: my new supple 5/8 rode is now as hard as a rock-na and doesn't doesn't look all 5/8y any more after a week of work. I have lots and lots of serviceable 1/2 line. Lots.

Dumpster?

Tough to say. You could unlay some of it that was in the load bearing portion and see if there are any melted or broken fibers. If so, I'd ditch it. Alternatively if it's permanently stretched by a significant amount, like more than 10% (165'), I'd ditch it. I would think your 1/2" nylon would be plenty strong enough for a Cal 29 in non-hurricane conditions.

Crab, "Ancor"? You're giving NC a bad name.:o

Thanks IStream. I'm fairly sure there can't be any stretch left. I think  the whole rig was hanging on the 22# Rocna. Not to say the CQR couldn't have handled it if properly set but aye, there's the rub.

Any idea what the max winds were that it saw? Riding out a hurricane on a 22 lb anchor is pretty impressive, even if it did drag a little.

Nylon rode fails from internal friction that generates heat and melts the line. The failure comes from individual fibers failing inside the lay and gradually reducing the strength of the rode until what's left fails under tension.

Detecting these failures is difficult and destructive as you need to unlay the line considerably to find the evidence.

I believe that, if your rode's OD has changed substantially, it should be discarded or used for some purpose where breaking strength is not a significant concern.

Yeah. I'll just leave it at the boat bums dock. It will look like manna from heaven. If and when they get their boats off of Carrot Island. I counted 9. Several others sunk in Town Creek.

One real captain i  know said 107 measured. It was about 500 from my seat on the way to Atlanta.

CQR would have done little to contribute to the other anchor. Only way it could have helped would be if you shackled it about 20' ahead of the ROCNA as a riding weight to help when and if there were a major sudden windshift as there would have been if the eye went right over the boat. I've done that with CQR's out ahead of Danforth HT and Bruce and Fortress anchors in hurricanes and while a PITA it really does work. Keeps from bending the shanks of the Danforths and Fortress. Keeps the Bruce from rolling out of the bottom with the windshift. 

I have several Fortresses and a couple good danforths but the cqr was heaviest with the chain.

One good thing of note is that i had some buyer's regret about the 22# maybe not being enough anchor.

Feeling better about that now.