Sign in to follow this  
sea2ocean

Change from shoal to rib keel on J/105

Does anyone know who can do the work to build a fin keel for a J/105? I have a shoal keel version that I'd like to buy and it would be great to get it changed. Anyone know who I can contact about this? Thanks.

These guys did a sprit for my 100 great guys easy to deal with.
International Marine Composites, Inc.
47 Gooding Ave. 
Unit A
Bristol, RI 02809

Office:   (401) 254-4322 
Fax:        (401) 254-4399
Email:    imrjorge@hotmail.com
Web:     www.imcne.com

Where are you located?  Bobby Mueller in Annapolis did all (most?) of the J/105s in the Annapolis Fleet when they changed to deep keels...

Mars make many if not most of the keels for US J/Boats.. you might try them directly...

https://marskeel.com/production/

Thanks. I tried Mars. They didn't fabricate the keels for the 105's. They did for a number of other J boats. It turns out its I Broomfield. I'm not sure who Bobby Mueller worked for. I'm in Seattle. I have a yard that can do the work bu tthey don't fabricate the keel. 

Ah...can’t the class tell you who made/makes the keel? Or Kendra at J/Boats might be able to help as well

Bobby owns Mueller Marine...but not much use to you in Seattle 

3 hours ago, Crash said:

Ah...can’t the class tell you who made/makes the keel? Or Kendra at J/Boats might be able to help as well

Bobby owns Mueller Marine...but not much use to you in Seattle 

They can and did and they were closed. Will call them tomorrow.

105 keels came from a shop in RI. They will only sell to the class or an authorized builder. Contact the class and go through them. FYI: Insurance after a keel swap will be fun. Last I knew the insurance companies dump them into the "highly modified" or "custom" race boat category. Good luck. If you have to ask you probably can't afford it --but if you happen to have stumbled onto a shoal draft tiller boat (probably converted to wheel) I'll pay cash tomorrow and give you a finder's fee.