Funslut

what's your top boatspeed in a J boat?

We hit 22 knots boatspeed in an early morning gale on a 122e during the Vic/Maui race this summer!  You?

1 hour ago, Funslut said:

We hit 22 knots boatspeed in an early morning gale on a 122e during the Vic/Maui race this summer!  You?

24.2. J125

• Like 2

I hit 68mph towing the J30 to Key West many years ago.

got locked into a wave set for several minutes doing Annap to St Mikes 2012? 2013? wind was 25-30 outa nw, kept the old J35 doin 14kts  or so for about 5 minutes before the wheels fell off the bus LOL

• Like 3

We're not as fast as some of you lighter guys, but we hit 12.5 knots going dead downwind with a double-reefed main up (no jib) on our J/36 and thought it was pretty quick. 

Some friends hit 27.3 in the dark on a J92 during delivery to San Fran for Pac Cup this year

18 hours ago, IMR said:

24 plus on a 125. The speedo comes out of the water above 24 knots so we don’t record higher top speeds. 

Ditto for a J90. Max GPS speed lies (but makes you feel good, like "I love you")

Last fall on a J/70 right before we wiped out

20171015_144714_zpshxgjcqca.jpg

Hit 21.6 during CYC Mack Race a few years ago on a J/145.

MS

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dcbsheb said:

We hit 5.1 kts once on a J 24!  B)

Was it on a trailer?

2 hours ago, Varan said:

Was it on a trailer?

I did see a guy towing a boat behind us rolling down the highway when his kite flew out of the forward hatch.  Not sure it was cut right for that AWA.

I know it's not anywhere near the top speed that others have hit on a J/109 but 16.29kts felt pretty good to us heading off the wind with the heavy kite up with winds gusting to upper 20s!

XwUH_L1ybE_9V_DTJBWsw5Wxn_ielr5juQqW_zl5

• Like 1

On 9/23/2018 at 7:40 AM, Bump-n-Grind said:

got locked into a wave set for several minutes doing Annap to St Mikes 2012? 2013? wind was 25-30 outa nw, kept the old J35 doin 14kts  or so for about 5 minutes before the wheels fell off the bus LOL

75 MPH behind the Excursion for the J/29

On 9/23/2018 at 4:02 PM, Funslut said:

Some friends hit 27.3 in the dark on a J92 during delivery to San Fran for Pac Cup this year

On a J92 really ?? 

6 minutes ago, port tack said:

On a J92 really ?? 

Not a fucking chance - maybe 17.3 and even then the boat would have been about to self destruct

• Like 1

4 hours ago, port tack said:

On a J92 really ?? 

Yep, photo evidence on facebook if you follow Zaff racing!

12 hours ago, Christian said:

Not a fucking chance - maybe 17.3 and even then the boat would have been about to self destruct

17.3 on a J 92 is completely doable with no cause for concern.  Why would you think differently.

29 minutes ago, dcbsheb said:

17.3 on a J 92 is completely doable with no cause for concern.  Why would you think differently.

Agreed, 17+ no problem. There is video of Thin Man doing 19 with little drama. 27+, maybe down a huge wave? I did see the FB pic and those guys are definitely legit having sailed it to HI. 

As someone who used to own a Viper 830 and currently owns a J92, I can tell you I've never been on the J and thought "I bet we'll go faster down wind today than the viper"  

On 9/23/2018 at 7:40 AM, Bump-n-Grind said:

14.8 on a 35 in the same race before the kite exploded. Was a great race.

6 hours ago, Mike in CT said:

Agreed, 17+ no problem. There is video of Thin Man doing 19 with little drama. 27+, maybe down a huge wave? I did see the FB pic and those guys are definitely legit having sailed it to HI. 

As someone who used to own a Viper 830 and currently owns a J92, I can tell you I've never been on the J and thought "I bet we'll go faster down wind today than the viper"  

I am not saying its not possible, I just have a hard time believing that a J92 could ever go faster downwind than a Viper or a Melges 24. 

1 hour ago, port tack said:

I am not saying its not possible, I just have a hard time believing that a J92 could ever go faster downwind than a Viper or a Melges 24. 

Surfing on those big pacific swells with enough breeze behind you its entirely possible. 

• Like 1

14.8 on my J29 with just mainsail coming back from Figawi two years ago. 13.8 during BBR this past August. 

That's about terminal velocity for a 29, although I have heard of some hitting 16. 

21 hours ago, Christian said:

Here's a quote from their FB page: "We are now ready to reveal to the world of social media that on our delivery down to San Fran we were sailing about 100 NM off of Cape Mendocino where we sailed through a strong gale in the night and well into the next morning where we saw a steady 35 knots and a max of 55 making for a night which all on board will remember for a long time to come as we were wide awake through the experience."

17.8 on a J/111

14.7 on a J/35

Need to do better on the J/111, I've hit higher on an Express 27 and Melges 24.

• Like 1

High teens SOG on a 105 in SF.  Into an ebb tide so even faster through the water!

• Like 1

12 knots.  J 33 on the start line of an LORC race in Toronto.  Not planned and poorly timed, but what a rush with the shore being only a few hundred yards away.  "Land ho, I say, Land ho."

14.3 knots on a 105 during a thunderstorm on Lake Erie BITD.  The lightning was...impressive!  I was much younger then...

On 9/23/2018 at 7:24 PM, WHK said:

I know it's not anywhere near the top speed that others have hit on a J/109 but 16.29kts felt pretty good to us heading off the wind with the heavy kite up with winds gusting to upper 20s!

XwUH_L1ybE_9V_DTJBWsw5Wxn_ielr5juQqW_zl5

12.7 - bare headed, reefed, surfing, double handed in 25-30 Kts was enough for me on our 109.

Craziest. Not 20+ on the J/111.... but 21.68 double-handed on a J/109 :o  And, yeah, things went pear-shaped pretty quick after this.... 

I remember talking to the insurance company afterward, and they thought it was reckless to put up the A5 in 28-30 knots. 

3640987368_b60430c38a.jpg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Blur said:

Craziest. Not 20+ on the J/111.... but 21.68 double-handed on a J/109 :o  And, yeah, things went pear-shaped pretty quick after this.... 

I remember talking to the insurance company afterward, and they thought it was reckless to put up the A5 in 28-30 knots. 

Winner - in my book

11 hours ago, Blur said:

I thought that's what an A5 was for!?! Bloody insurance companies!!!

9 hours ago, Funslut said:

I thought that's what an A5 was for!?! Bloody insurance companies!!!

Hoisting it in 28 knots is fine, but you shouldn't be surprised if it explodes after your third broach in a 36-knot puff. Apparently :D

We discovered with good waves to surf all you need is a mainsail to hit 21 knots of boat speed on a J/109.  Another time we also tried the A6 in 40 knots but it was decisively slow as we ended up on our ear.  It was also expensive, we watched the A6 completely evaporate before our eyes.  Below is video of us hitting 18+ knots with winds 30-40, waves 10-15ft in the 2017 California Coastal Cup.  Later in the middle of the night a Moore 24 snapped it's mast and we ended up circling the Moore 24 in those same conditions until the Coast Guard arrived and cut us loose.  It was a painful night, but definitely not as painful had we been the ones who lost our rig!  BTW this same very fast, super sexy and well equipped 109 is currently listed for sale in the SA classifieds!

2 hours ago, Hugh Jorgan said:

We discovered with good waves to surf all you need is a mainsail to hit 21 knots of boat speed on a J/109.  Another time we also tried the A6 in 40 knots but it was decisively slow as we ended up on our ear.  It was also expensive, we watched the A6 completely evaporate before our eyes.  Below is video of us hitting 18+ knots with winds 30-40, waves 10-15ft in the 2017 California Coastal Cup.  Later in the middle of the night a Moore 24 snapped it's mast and we ended up circling the Moore 24 in those same conditions until the Coast Guard arrived and cut us loose.  It was a painful night, but definitely not as painful had we been the ones who lost our rig!  BTW this same very fast, super sexy and well equipped 109 is currently listed for sale in the SA classifieds!

Impressive .... with the stern locker on too!

1 hour ago, WHK said:

Impressive .... with the stern locker on too!

We had the life raft in the stern locker. That might be the only reason we didn’t pitch pole at the bottom of the waves :)  The raft went in much easier than it came out at the end of the week.  Really glad we didn’t have to get it out quick at some point!  

4 minutes ago, Hugh Jorgan said:

We had the life raft in the stern locker. That might be the only reason we didn’t pitch pole at the bottom of the waves :)  The raft went in much easier than it came out at the end of the week.  Really glad we didn’t have to get it out quick at some point!  

You are also smiling too much in the videos to sell the boat.  I say keep it!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, WHK said:

You are also smiling too much in the videos to sell the boat.  I say keep it!

I've had a couple inquiries about my boat from two previous 109 owners who are interested in buying one again.  Apparently there's a good chance I'll be back again sometime in the future.  Like the song 'Hotel California' by the Eagles  "You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave."

Our J-88 has not been in big air but the NASS race to Oxford this year had us at 14.5 to 16.7 speed over the bottom.

Wind was 18-23 never consistent

On 9/25/2018 at 3:16 PM, Squalamax said:

14.8 on my J29 with just mainsail coming back from Figawi two years ago. 13.8 during BBR this past August. 

That's about terminal velocity for a 29, although I have heard of some hitting 16. 

About the same on the 29 when we had it. Sail for Hope 2002 (our first race with the new boat) with the Dirty Harry crew and John Lavin trimming main. We would get the 33 into the 13 - 14 range when the wind went north of 25 but never more. Can't get the Summit 35 past 14 (yet). Funny...nothing touches the sustained 17s we had on our Express 27. Still the easiest, smoothest ride downwind on a boat... 

2 hours ago, Vin said:

About the same on the 29 when we had it. Sail for Hope 2002 (our first race with the new boat) with the Dirty Harry crew and John Lavin trimming main. We would get the 33 into the 13 - 14 range when the wind went north of 25 but never more. Can't get the Summit 35 past 14 (yet). Funny...nothing touches the sustained 17s we had on our Express 27. Still the easiest, smoothest ride downwind on a boat... 

Vin - You've had the Summit 35 long enough now that it's time to change boats again.... based on your past history of multiple J/Boat model ownership.  How about you pickup one of the two J/109s for sale on Narragansett Bay so you can race OD with the rest of us!

On 10/2/2018 at 12:52 PM, WHK said:

Vin - You've had the Summit 35 long enough now that it's time to change boats again.... based on your past history of multiple J/Boat model ownership.  How about you pickup one of the two J/109s for sale on Narragansett Bay so you can race OD with the rest of us!

Why would I do that and have the fallacy of my sailing abilities exposed by one-design racing? If I wanted to do that I would go buy a laser... :) 

Who knows...stranger things have happened. Although if a Jboat was on tap it would be a 111 no questions asked.

J/33  13.2 on 1 big wave.  It really felt fast. 

God I miss summer already...

J35. 14.9 kts!

78DD070E-CB84-4448-B1FB-DE63D8430D7E.png

13.4 knots on a J/110.   Heavy, small (88 sq m) kite up, double reefed in 30 knots of breeze with 4-6' waves during a practice session on Lake Champlain.   Photo taken while we were heading upwind, trying out our storm jib before we turned down and set the 'chicken' chute.  None of us had the presence of mind to take a photo while the spinnaker was up.   It took several days to remove the smiles from our faces....

Sept 8 2012-2 Big Wind.jpeg

1 hour ago, Mike in CT said:

I assume the 125 right?

Technically, the 145 rates faster but I imagine the 125 has a higher documented top boatspeed due to planing

37 minutes ago, bloodshot said:

Technically, the 145 rates faster but I imagine the 125 has a higher documented top boatspeed due to planing

My guess is that the 145 actually has a higher speed potential, but that nobody has actually stripped one out and pressed it hard enough offshore to find it

14 hours ago, Mike in CT said:

I assume the 125 right?

That was my thought, but I did not want to bias the discussion. I am not familiar with the 145. Pix? The 90 has much potential too.

1 hour ago, Varan said:

That was my thought, but I did not want to bias the discussion. I am not familiar with the 145. Pix? The 90 has much potential too.

Having been one of the crew on the J92 Zaff and as of this forum I believe it's the J92 that holds the top Jboat speed. That being said I believe the J90 or 125 have a good chance at going fast. Here's the recently posted video of our PAC Cup race.https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1_NiIEPfw_U

• Like 2

North of 14 Knots on a J27...although they have been clocked at better than 17...not bad for a 30+ year old design

On 10/10/2018 at 12:16 AM, Ansie said:

Having been one of the crew on the J92 Zaff and as of this forum I believe it's the J92 that holds the top Jboat speed. That being said I believe the J90 or 125 have a good chance at going fast. Here's the recently posted video of our PAC Cup race.https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1_NiIEPfw_U

Awesome video.  

Here we are at a smooth 24 knots with the a2.5 up. TWS was only 26 knots. We had a kiteboarder 100 feet off the bow with eyes about as big as pumpkins. 

image.jpg

• Like 1

On 10/11/2018 at 9:58 PM, dcbsheb said:

Awesome video.  

Thanks, it was definitely a hoot.