lahana

I messed up, paint in mast track

A while ago I re-did the mast and rigging including painting the thing in 2-pac International Perfection paint. I thought I was careful enough, but not so. I have some excess paint runs on the inside of the mast track where the sliders travel. The mast groove is "D" shaped with flat part aft. I am able to raise the main, but only with difficulty and using a winch when half way up. I have no doubt that it will eventually wear down enough for smooth raising and lowering, but I'd like to help it along if I can. I don't want to go in too heavy though as it is exposed aluminium inside for the most part. Anyone with any ideas on a fix for this stuff up?

I have been told since to put an old rope inside the track while painting, but by the time I found this out, the mast was back in it's rightful place. Just thought I'd share in case anyone else is planning on doing the same thing.  And another thing, the International (interlux) Perfection worked an absolute treat, tough as nails and flows out beautifully.

Cheers

I made a mast for an el Toro and managed to make the bolt rope track too small for the main that showed up from the sailmaker.

I fixed it with a fiberglass stick from a keelboat kite turtle bag wrapped at the end with some 100 grit. I stuck the other end in the electric drill and roto-rooted it for a few minutes.

Perhaps too violent for what you want because you'll end up with all the paint missing from the track, but maybe that's you best answer.

Use a spare slider (or make a little insert) and wrap some thin sandpaper around it, 320-400g should be enough, go slow and be patient.

HW

Sandpaper - no matter how fine -  is going to remove any existing anodization layer. If you say the interior of the slot is exposed aluminum already, go for it à la Halagonian.  Otherwise, have you tried McLube? 

Liberal lubrication until it wears in.

The risk of the sandpaper rig getting jambed or wearing away the anodized layer is not work it. The sand paper will probably sand everything you don't want it to, and get stuck where you need to abrade.