Sign in to follow this  
mookiesurfs

Turning it upside down

Any ideas on how to turn a boat upside down? Specifically, an S2 7.9?

We've drysailed it for awhile with a bare bottom, but now we need to put it in a slip. She'll need barrier coat and bottom paint it, but I'm not going to crawl around under the trailer doing that, plus the result would inevitably be slow.

Ideas?

Slings on a big crane or building a roller cradle around the boat are the only ways I'm aware of.

Considering you have a fin keel I'd say a big crane would be your only valid option.

Taking it off the trailer and putting it on on blocks or in a cradle would be the better way to go. That's the way most boats are done.

probably a good idea to pull the drop keep out of the boat before you roll it over, assuming it's not one of the 17 with fixed keels. 

Put it on stands.  You'll get it a lot higher than the trailer.  Lots of boats this size get painted every year or two or three.  No one turns them upside down.  Even a full bottom strip, fair, prime and paint doesn't mean turning the boat over.

If you did turn it over, how would you get to the keel and centerline?  Build scaffolding over it and work laying down?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, xyzzy said:

Put it on stands.  You'll get it a lot higher than the trailer.  Lots of boats this size get painted every year or two or three.  No one turns them upside down.  Even a full bottom strip, fair, prime and paint doesn't mean turning the boat over.

If you did turn it over, how would you get to the keel and centerline?  Build scaffolding over it and work laying down?

This. Just put it on stands in a yard.  It's not that expensive.

Oh c'mon guys. All this practical advice is a real downer. To the OP: build a rolling cradle, hire a crane, use bungees from semi-intact tree branches, but whatever you do please remember to take video and post it here. 

Seriously, on stands in the yard. you may not enjoy the overhead work but it will be much quicker and cheaper than the flipping alternative.

You wanna turn that thing over cheaply, lift the drop keel, strap the sails,  and put her beam on in a stiff breeze.  That will do it, won't cost you a thing.  You want to loosen up the shrouds though so you can take the mast of quickly before she turtles though,  or you won't be able to careen it on the beach to do the work, you'll have to dinghy out to her with a generator and your power tools.  And that generator rental will cost you.

if she is getting done in a yard with a travelift, lift the keel and lock it and roll it over in the travelift. sit it on blocks around the gunwale. i would do this if it needed heaps of work, or board sanding but not if you are just going to machine sand it. get a good sander. 

There is a very reputable J24 speed shop that used to turn boats over on old car tires. But he always dropped the keels first so it was just the hull. 

Boats generally don't do well on the hard. Don't try to flip one over with the ballast attached. That's going to lead to bigger (bilge/sump/stringer) problems. 

Buy a gallon of Dykem, sand and then thin the shit out of your baltaplate and spray 50 times. 

If you are trying to pull pictures from the picture folder on your computer, try hitting the refresh button and then attaching the picture again

Size matters!.

I did get involved with turning over a 30ft long keel plywood boat, that had been built upside down. The lead had already been put into the keel.

We used a 4x4 and various ropes to stop it falling over too fast.

The sand we were building on we covered in old matresses (mostly foam).  It was then jacked one side till it started tipping over.

it worked very well, but it worrying at the time..

Hay bales

Oh yeah, I like the chain hoist; that's the way to do it. Probably not cost effective to put that set up together for one bottom job every several years, though.  But, I've got the space for it and it would come in handy, so I'll keep an eye on Craigslist.

I am just too goddamn obstinate and ornery to do another bottom from underneath, and it kinda pisses me off anyway because I loved racing a dry sailed bottom. But, the racing hasn't happened much since we lost mast up storage, and Bow is hinting around about cruising the Keys and Bahamas, so a barrier coat and anti fouling it is.

Pulling the keel is not a problem and has to be done every now and then anyway, just to fair it and fix dents, smiles and scratches. Right now the best option seems to be to roll her on her side on old futons and mattresses, and do the bottom job that way. Haven't figured out the particulars of how to get her off of the trailer in the barn.

Ideas? Thoughts?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."  George Bernard Shaw

It really depends on what kind of equipment you have access too. here is how I did mine. I think the same maneuver could be done with chain hoists and a stout frame.  When I rolled it back upright I put plastic sleeves on the straps to protect the paint. 

IMG_20110409_113558.jpg

IMG_20110409_113614.jpg

Mike,

which of your menagerie is that one? was that the viper?

1 hour ago, ryley said:

Mike,

which of your menagerie is that one? was that the viper?

Yup that was the viper when I first got it and the bottom was a mess. I think I could probably do the J the same way if necessary but I'm hoping it doesn't come to that :)

The one benefit of flipping it upside down is when you inevitably don't finish the work on it.  You don't have to cover it. Unfortunately, you won't be able grow plants inside the cockpit and no one will ever come along and take it off your hands. 

Truly - is there any more to that pic? Youtube? Did he even survive?