Sign in to follow this  
DTA

RS CAT 14 Sail Camping

Bird Island Basin was the starting point on the north. Yarborough Pass was the destination on the south. Outward path in teal. Path back in red. Planned path in yellow.

Late start – around 1:30. Just general disorganization. Hard sailing upwind, which, combined w/ the late start, meant I only made it to a random spoil island about 13.5 miles toward the 20 mile destination of Yarborough Pass. Tacking in the catamaran, combined with the narrow channel and the *EXTREMELY* shallow waters outside the channel (shallow enough to catch the rudders), made it pretty rough. I’ll probably wait for more easterly winds before trying it again in order to reduce the tacking.

Along the way, I came across a huge group of dolphins. About 4 or 5 separate pods of dolphins, each with about 3 or 4 dolphins in each pod, were all congregating together and splashing about. I couldn’t tell if it was a feeding or social frenzy. But it was nuts. I’ve seen lots of dolphins while out sailing, but nothing like this.

Many of the dolphins followed me and swam close. But one in particular I saw come charging up from behind me, then proceeded to pass under my CAT between the hulls, then came out in front of me, and then when about 20 feet in front of me proceeded to leap into the air about 4 or 5 feet out of the water. It was like some sort of Sea World performance. I have no idea what that was all about.

I was run off the narrow channel by a huge barge/tanker. I had been sailing for four hours, so it was late and I just decided to make camp where I landed – some random spoil island. Pushed the cat up onto the island and made dinner on the stone patio of a GLO fish house. These little houses dot all the spoil islands and you can lease them from the GLO. But this one was boarded up and hadn’t seen any use in years.

I was feeling good about my situation because NO MOSQUITOES. I cooked a wonderful dinner and stretched my legs, and I was thinking that it must be because this is a spoil island. No mammals anywhere around (not even rats or mice), so I figured there was nothing for the mosquitoes to eat. But then nightfall came and I discovered that they feed on random sailors who sleep on the island! Completely miserable all night long. I didn’t bring mosquito netting and they feasted. When I would turn on my headlamp, the light would illuminate dozens and dozens of mosquitos all about me.

Around 3 a.m. a lightning storm approached from the west (landward). A short time later, a separate lightning storm approached from the east (oceanward). Both were high altitude lightning storms with cobwebs of air-to-air lightning. No ground strikes. But each involved HUGE flashes of lightning. Additionally, the oceanward storm was moving landward, the landward storm was moving oceanward, and it appeared as though they would converge right on me. Since I was sleeping on the boat, right next to a tall metal mast, I was getting very worried.

So, at 3:30 a.m. I moved my camp to the GLO cabin. I set up a tarp in preparation for the massive storm. Although the storm fizzled out, the mosquitoes did not. The only way to keep them at bay was with two layers of shirts, a rain jacket, pants, and shorts. I sweated profusely all night long. I don’t think I ever fell asleep, either when camped on the boat or outside the GLO cabin.

Upon sunrise, I cooked myself some mac & chili, finally free of mosquitoes. I packed up the jib and reefed the main (my first time ever reefing). I did not want ANY drama on the sail back. At first, the winds were out of the south and I was sailing dead downwind. I was very nervous about an accidental jibe, but then a cold front came through and the winds switched to West and WNW. So, I was able to hold that line, with no tacks or jibes, all the way back to Bird Island Basin.

Go to my parents' condo, showered, went out for a massive Whataburger meal, and was asleep by 5:30 p.m. I woke up the next morning at 7:30 a.m. Never woke up once during the night.

It sucked during, but is now fun in memory.

1_Trip.JPG

2_Campsite.JPG

3_Boat_Side_s.JPG

• Like 2

Good job!  I have Laser-camped quite a few times here in No. California.   Planning to do it again next month.   And I'm lucky - NO mosquitoes or lighting storms here...

• Like 2

What an adventure!!!! Brilliant!!!  Crazy, yet brilliant.  Damn mozzies...

• Like 1

There's also some "tactical" hammock-tents with mosquito netting. Depending on the setup, it might be viable to hang it completely or partially from your rig.

That's a good bug solution, DTA!  Looks a lot like my shelter:  North Face "Bullfrog" tent that has served me in some of the worst weather and bugs all over the lower 48 and Alaska.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, martin.langhoff said:

There's also some "tactical" hammock-tents with mosquito netting. Depending on the setup, it might be viable to hang it completely or partially from your rig.

Hmmmm .... I'd have to see pics/video of someone making a hammock work on a treeless beach with only one vertical object (boat mast) before I go try it out.

12 hours ago, DTA said:

Hmmmm .... I'd have to see pics/video of someone making a hammock work on a treeless beach with only one vertical object (boat mast) before I go try it out.

RS Ketch rig option? Then you can join the serious cruising brotherhood and sling hammock whenever you please...

DIon, this is awesome!  Glad to see you're enjoying the boat! Hopefully the RS700 and RS Aero aren't feeling neglected!

I got a chance to sail the RS Cat 14 earlier this summer in some breeze for the first time.  I was blown away by how exciting it was compared to other plastic cats I've sailed.

Enjoy and keep the good coverage coming, we love it!

ContactSheet-002 (1).jpg

• Like 1

Couple of guys in our trailer yacht cohort went up the coast from Brisbane (Oz) some time ago.  They used disposable coveralls which apparently were effective.

They were not amused by the nickname "condom man" but doesn't really matter if you can prevent being bitten.

Dta you are in a high risk population for Evergladeschallengism. It's a mental condition for life. Be careful, you can get it whether the mosquitoes bite you or not.

6 hours ago, sail(plane) said:

Dta you are in a high risk population for Evergladeschallengism. It's a mental condition for life. Be careful, you can get it whether the mosquitoes bite you or not.

Well, I'm planning to do the Texas 200 in June. We'll see after that!

http://www.texas200.com/

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sail(plane) said:

50 minutes ago, DTA said:

Well, I'm planning to do the Texas 200 in June. We'll see after that!

http://www.texas200.com/

I was late, then! you are infected!

if you haven´t seen it, check this out, has planning and gear details: https://www.wetamarine.com/news-and-events/texas-200-in-a-weta/

• Like 1

Since I live relatively close, I plan to practice sailing all around and stashing water at various locations along the route. My boat is pretty small w/o much in the way of safely storing lots of weight (i.e. storing lots of water in a way that would not hinder me during capsize). So, hopefully, I can off-load that water to various locations along the way.

Can you add a bit of storage in front of the mast? Boat does seem tight on room.

We did a last minute camping trip this summer with our 505  as the 18" catamaran had trailer issues.

Who'd of thunk beach camping  in a racing dinghy, worked great with plenty of storage for multiple drybags in the cuddy zone and a large cooler.

Downsized the sails to a  cruising set off a fireball and ran the spinnaker as a gennaker without pole. So much fun we decided to keep the boat which was listed for sale.WP_20180728_09_46_58_Pro.thumb.jpg.d484aab822115ff3ecb6a96c0f72a49f.jpgWP_20180728_19_25_50_Panorama.thumb.jpg.61859e55112538cca4004576cffb4ea6.jpg

• Like 4

Here's how I carry the full camp load on the Laser.   The main heavy bag rides nice in front of the mast.   I was also able to tow my SUP.

Laser camp load.JPG

• Like 4

On 10/1/2018 at 8:42 AM, eyeper said:

Here's how I carry the full camp load on the Laser.   The main heavy bag rides nice in front of the mast.   I was also able to tow my SUP.

Laser camp load.JPG

On 10/1/2018 at 8:42 AM, eyeper said:

Laser camp load.JPG

Hey Eyeper, I found my way on Anarchy and quite happy to see how you Laser camp. Is this Tom's Point maybe? I plan on gettin to Marconi tomorrow early. My wife and daughter may go with as they need a nature fix considering all...

Hi, Norssail,   Good to hear from you.  If you sail at Marconi Cove we may have already met?    Email me at eyeper@sbcglobal.net and we'll talk more.   (that photo of Laser camp is up at White Gulch - across the Bay from Nicks Cove.

• Like 1