stayoutofthemiddle

Is sailing cool?

Serious question! Is it cool? I mean it's fun, technical, competitive, and you meet great people but are there some that take the "scene" too far? You know who I mean, the guy who goes into the office on Thursday morning and thinks he is impressing his co-works talking about Wednesday Night Offshore Yacht Racing. Once you drive out of the yacht club parking lot the things that are "cool" may not be that special.

tru. once you drive out of the yc parking lot, it only remains cool in your head.

• Like 1

speaking of cool... look who joined Scooters pink shirt crew... 

maxresdefault.jpg

It can be, on the 21st Oct Snowflake Sailing Club will be starting up again for the winter, so the weather will definately be cooling down..

Most of us probably don't care what anyone else thinks about us, or about sailing.  And isn't that pretty much the definition of cool?  Hell yes!  So cool!

• Like 1

going fast with only wind power is cool as fk. to know it, is to love it.

• Like 2

Managing a boat, managing to sail and comleting a trip is a personal challenge. No matter what size of boat, what kind of weather and what kind of destination. 

Any personal challenge with a succesfull outcome is cool.

• Like 1

I think it depends on the individual as to whether they feel that Sailing is cool. It may be that it seems more cool if you present it in a cool fashion

Speaking of fashion

1FEB7A7E-5D1D-459D-A649-8FA706344AFC.jpeg

When you have a massive penis like some of us, cool is irrelevant 

6 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

I think it depends on the individual as to whether they feel that Sailing is cool. It may be that it seems more cool if you present it in a cool fashion

Speaking of fashion

1FEB7A7E-5D1D-459D-A649-8FA706344AFC.jpeg

Dude. You've posted this in at least 2 threads that I know of.... your son? boyfriend? alter-ego?

Oh yeah, I knew someone would call me out on it.

It belonged on the other thread to introduce the noob to the reality herein

Its on this one because this cupcake thinks he’s cool in his Sailor duds

• Like 1

10 hours ago, boatcat65 said:

Most of us probably don't care what anyone else thinks about us, or about sailing.  And isn't that pretty much the definition of cool?  Hell yes!  So cool!

The point of the thread is more about the people who think, then "act" like it's cool....

"I was offshore yacht racing this weekend".

Basically those who run around telling other sailor how cool / great they are or even worst, randoms about their offshore accomplishments. Most people DGAF!

• Downvote 1

I've given up discussing sailing around non-sailing people. I'm taking my co-workers out for lunch tomorrow on the boat. They're going to drink, eat, and stare at their cell phones while I pull the strings.  I don't know why they ask me to take them out.

• Like 3

I'd like to know how these rubes define "offshore" while bragging about their racing.

Sort of like the skiers I know who tell me about their exploits on the "double green diamond" runs.

Thread  drift alert! When does "offshore" start? I've always considered it one day's sail from land but maybe that's not far enough offshore?

9 hours ago, kinardly said:

Thread  drift alert! When does "offshore" start? I've always considered it one day's sail from land but maybe that's not far enough offshore?

Ask your insurers.  They probably think it's a lot closer to shore than you do....

Cheers,

W.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ajax said:

I've given up discussing sailing around non-sailing people. I'm taking my co-workers out for lunch tomorrow on the boat. They're going to drink, eat, and stare at their cell phones while I pull the strings.  I don't know why they ask me to take them out.

Take them out far enough so their phones don't work...

We've got so many dead spots I can do that inland.. The Sailing club used to be a dead spot :D... now there is a repeater on the back of the control box:unsure:

12 hours ago, Ajax said:

Try wearing clothes this time. 

33 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

Try wearing clothes this time. 

Aw man...

(insert sound of the scuffling of a shoe kicking dirt here)

• Like 2

I've watched all the "Is (insert subject) cool?" threads come and go and resisted chiming in, but decided to take the plunge this morning. I'm probably taking all this too seriously, but it seems pretty obvious to me that "coolness" is a function of culture, social group, tribe, etc. When I was teenager it was cool to take the muffler off your motorcycle in my circle of friends. Parents, neighbors, teachers, cops, etc., not so much. Anyway, I'm an old fart who sails, (occasionally) wears  topsiders, and usually wears sunglasses outdoors during the day, and frankly don't give a sh*t if others think it's cool or not. I will say that I find the fat, sunburned Rubes who come off cruise ships wearing straw hats, Hawaiian  shirts, Bermuda shorts and running shoes pretty comical, and decidedly not cool. But then they're just not part of my tribe, y'know?

I may be a wee babe, at the tender years of my late thirties... But I stopped caring about who thinks my activities are cool or not more than a few years ago. I do my thing. They do their thing. Anyone that thinks it's not cool is welcome to shove off. Anyone that thinks it is cool needs to spend a day actually doing it... And the coolness usually wears off damn quick.

Still hoping a well stacked blonde lady finds it interesting enough to stick around, though... Maybe I might worry about her thinking it's cool.

9 minutes ago, The Lucky One said:

I may be a wee babe, at the tender years of my late thirties... But I stopped caring about who thinks my activities are cool or not more than a few years ago. I do my thing. They do their thing. Anyone that thinks it's not cool is welcome to shove off. Anyone that thinks it is cool needs to spend a day actually doing it... And the coolness usually wears off damn quick.

Still hoping a well stacked blonde lady finds it interesting enough to stick around, though... Maybe I might worry about her thinking it's cool.

Don't get your hopes up. A wise forum member once told me- "Women love a man who is passionate. They absolutely hate the thing that he is passionate about."

• Like 3

That's okay. I'll throw a wrench in that works and become passionate about her. Let's see how she handles that one. :D

21 minutes ago, The Lucky One said:

518025_06big.jpg

Always, and in all ways.  :D

10 hours ago, VWAP said:

518025_06big.jpg

What’s That Zeppelin song? 

Oh yeah

”Whole Lot Of Love”!

7 hours ago, kinardly said:

A well stacked brunette is a no go? Different priorities here, mate. 

Curvy_Quinn_3113pp_curvy_quinn_018.jpg

Mother, is that you?

Life is cool, therefore sailing is cool. Afterall, sailing is life.

Now how about some shinnier ...... nevermind.

Most non sailors I know think sailing is really cool. They also think sunsets, an idyllic wind, wine and cheese. And being dry. With the odd leaker that gets it and swaps to the dark side.

I think blocked shitters, wet everything, incessant noise, fixing things, tired minds processing information, getting smashed moving anywhere, buckets in the face, and motion everywhere.

Fuck yes its cool. 

For us sailors its the reality that's the cool part, for non sailors its their idealism of it that's cool.

Win win!

• Like 2

nah, bunch of old white guys floating around at 3 kts in red hats? def not cool at all.

now this? THESE guys are COOL

redneck-yacht-club-08-0016.JPG

I'd say most non-sailors in Chicago are aware of the Mac race, and tend to think it's pretty cool that I do it.  Not sure they care too much about sailing in general.

8 hours ago, Mark Set said:

THESE guys are COOL

redneck-yacht-club-08-0016.JPG

Adgreede!  The oune in bikini est oh currante.                                       :)               

3 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

Adgreede!  The oune in bikini est oh currante.                                       :)               

two dudes 1 girl?

What kind of sailing are we talking about?

4knsb in 12 knots? Nope.

18ft Skiffs in 20 knots? Yup

Laser in any wind? Sure, you can think whatever you want...

Also depends on who. The dick who’s Mr. Maritime with his topsiders and brand loyalty that chastises everyone over misuse of terms or must show how much he knows? Nope.

Dude who just hoists sails, makes it fun for everyone and when back at the dock sits back drinks a beer or 5 and swaps the same ‘ol tales but this time with a new embellishment? Yeah, I’d rather hang out with him.

Screw it, it’s a hobby. The hell do you care for?

On 10/1/2018 at 3:42 PM, stayoutofthemiddle said:

This photo is telling... Spectator boats watching the AC boats in Chicago in 2016.

Got a feeling that might just have more to do with the amount of money being floated about (pun intended) than the means of propulsion.

Can't say having a larger lady on board wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing, either. Reduces the chances of her running off with someone else. And on those cold nights, you can always pull another flab over and keep warm.

On 9/27/2018 at 1:14 AM, boatcat65 said:

Most of us probably don't care what anyone else thinks about us,

If that were actually true, none of you would ever post.

On 9/28/2018 at 12:00 AM, WGWarburton said:

Ask your insurers.  They probably think it's a lot closer to shore than you do....

He might be right. I've seen boats that slow.

Typically the people who sail are not cool, primarily because I think sailing appeals to smart people and smart people are seldom cool.

However, the art of sailing is incredibly cool.

Any social opinion of sailing not being cool is a societal problem and being well adjusted to a fundamentally sick society is no measure of mental health.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Jammer Six said:

If that were actually true, none of you would ever post.

Shit, I'm just here for the comments,son!