We started production of Reo770.

the boat is development of Andrew York's REO Speedwagon.

While REO Speedwagon proved itself against bigger boats in various regattas over the last 3 years, REO770 will have one design rules as well.

more info is here.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 2

No Nav lights but could be installed. Otherwise will comply with 5n.

Email me from website for more info.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 2

14 hours ago, tedrules said:

Yorky?

On 9/30/2018 at 7:55 PM, tedrules said:

Affirmative Christian.

So - as the VX One was your original starting point - could you lay out the major differences between the Reo and the VX (in addition to the obvious larger size )?  

One of things that the REO 7.7 has that others don't is a large hump in the centre of the boat that tapers towards the bow. It is quite easy in tacks and gybes to take one step over it and get good support on the way to the other side of the boat. The rear end of it has a shelf and hatch for valuables and doubles as the structure for the rudder pintles.

The REO 7.7 has the vang coming out of the centre hump so it is easy to trim from a variety of positions.

The hull of the REO 7.7 has quite plumb topsides and a chine running most of the length of the hull. There is a reverse curve in the bow enabling the entry to stay reasonably fine but giving heaps of reserve bouyancy in the bow. (The shape of the REO 7.7 is like Comanche and a number of other modern boats) There is a large 45 degree chamfer at the deck like many of the most recent designs.

The rig on the REO 7.7 in relationship to the hull length is much shorter than just about every other boat so although the SA/Disp is very high the aerodynamic drag is low. This enables to higher speeds to windward in high pressure and low liklelihood of burying the bow downwind.

The side tanks are open at the forward and aft end. The spinnaker leads down a chute which runs under the the port side deck so the cockpit floor remains clean. At the forward end on the starboard side is the hydraulic ram that connects to both cap shrouds which allows you to easily power up in the light and depower in heavy air.

The REO has an 8:1 fine tune on the jib sheet so that it can be played all of the time to keep the boat going fast. The fine tune is independent of the coarse so you do not have to ease the fine tune to play the course.

There are a  number innovations on the REO that make her quite unique.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

REO 7.2 prototype, REO Speedwagon mashes it in 20 to 25 Knots!
Smallest boat in Super 30 fleet at 23.6 feet Speedwagon was fastest around the course in Sydney Amateur Sailing Club's  Super30 W/L races 
Of all the boats on the course only Toy Box 2, a 43.6 foot X yacht was 1:10 faster in the second race.  
The results are here

Congratulations!

Well done Team REO Speedwagon!:D

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

video stopped just prior to the drop! How'd all that go? Anything we need to know about??!! 

No doubt the thing was lit up though! 

2 hours ago, richiec said:

video stopped just prior to the drop! How'd all that go? Anything we need to know about??!! 

No doubt the thing was lit up though! 

I wondered that too, especially when the skip called for a leeward drop. Jibes were nice.

I just stopped the video because we weren't going fast any more. We did not have any boat handling problems, broaches or any other problems. I don't think any other boats had full rigs and a masthead kite on. They all had chicken chutes on and still broached or set no kite at all.

The young woman with the speed puck had never sailed before and clearly enjoyed it.

We did two windward/ leewards on the same course as the Middle Harbour Yacht Club fleet.  We led the Super 30 fleet home by 1min 40secs in the first race and nearly 4 minutes in the second. We beat Maxstar, the Melges 32 by 5 minutes in the first race and they did not start the second.

19.4 knots.jpg

WL1 Oct 6.jpg

WL2 Oct 6.jpg

• Like 2
  • Downvote 2

You have to respect a handicapping system that promotes last to first in one afternoon on the water

She is coming along well.

Planning first outing for boats at Heaven Can wait on Lake Macquarie in February.

6.11.1 Hull Bagged.jpg

2.11 Glass in Hull.jpg

6.11.2 Foredeck & Side decks.jpg

9.11 Sole.jpg

• Downvote 1

https://www.reosportsboats.com/about-us/

check it out ,  cool as shit alright . some good youtube footage of it kicing ass in sydney too . really interesting approach minimising rig size and ballast 

Serhad and his team at Windseeker Yachts are doing a great job. After 1000s of hours of R & D and drawing it is good to be able to say look at the pictures, this is the boat I imagined two years ago!

27.12 Stb Bow.jpg

27.12 Stb Bow above.jpg

22.12 Kite Chute1.jpg

27.12 Stb Trav Aft.jpg

27.12 Cockpit.jpg

• Like 5
  • Downvote 1

PS... that is a whole lotta chute for such a little hole (wishing it was was a quote from an x-gf)

I have discussed the size of the chute hole with people who make them for many boats and this size should be good for this boat.

• Downvote 1

What's the plan for rig adjustment?

Killer concept!

^ disregard, found it: 

• Hydraulic adjustment of cap shrouds

Looking very well executed.  Impressed on the video that the loads on the sheets didnt seem too high and I liked seeing that a woman was trimming the main with no sweat.  Im ex-J70 owner and we needed some beefy crew on the spin sheets in big winds.  Also looked very stable and very fast downwind,  would I be right is saying its less physical hiking downwind than your VX...?.

Some Questions:

-  The thread jumps between mentioning a Reo 7.70 and a Reo 7.2.   Two different boats or 2 names for same boat? 

- Any speculation on price yet

- Aimed initially at Aussie market? or will it come to USA/Europe?

A 7.2 meter boat that could be crewed by 4 average or 2 large + 1 average person is a interesting niche for some of us

• Like 2

The REO 7.7 is the New One Design Sports Boat. She is aimed at US and Europe as well as my local markets.

Until we get the REO 7.7m on the water (End of April) the sailing pictures will be of the REO 7.2.We have used the REO 7.2 as the starting point for the concept to develop from.

The REO 7.7 has 30% more sail area and close to 50% more stability. The extra sail area is to make her more suitable for USA and Europe and the extra stability to make her more user friendly.

There is very keen interest in SE Asia, Japan, Africa and New Zealand and some interest in US and Europe.

Expected crew weight range for REO 7.7 is 660lbs to 720lbs (300to 330kg) so three big guys or four average size will go well.

Email me at aryork@optusnet.com.au for pricing.

She sails deeper angles than the VX downwind so not much hiking for VMG angles.

• Like 2
  • Downvote 2

Maybe think about your manliness when resorting to issuing these down votes! The shame involved is unbearable! 

Oh and while your at it, ask around why there is such no confidence shown to some on here! 

Good luck! 

3 minutes ago, windseekeryachts said:

Sorry, I am too busy to play around...You better find another playground.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, tedrules said:

The REO 7.7 is the New One Design Sports Boat. She is aimed at US and Europe as well as my local markets.

Until we get the REO 7.7m on the water (End of April) the sailing pictures will be of the REO 7.2.We have used the REO 7.2 as the starting point for the concept to develop from.

The REO 7.7 has 30% more sail area and close to 50% more stability. The extra sail area is to make her more suitable for USA and Europe and the extra stability to make her more user friendly.

There is very keen interest in SE Asia, Japan, Africa and New Zealand and some interest in US and Europe.

Expected crew weight range for REO 7.7 is 660lbs to 720lbs (300to 330kg) so three big guys or four average size will go well.

Email me at aryork@optusnet.com.au for pricing.

She sails deeper angles than the VX downwind so not much hiking for VMG angles.

Good luck with this project Yorky.   The motivation seems admirable.....a boat that is easy and very fast.... a boat designed by a sailor for sailors.  The parameters seem realistic.  

Some people talk. Some people do.  You clearly fall into the "do it" category.   It wont be easy. I think Steve Clark once said "Its harder to launch a new one design class than build a new college at a university ....and costs about the same"  (His son Dave Clark clearly ignored this advice).  I for one wish this project well. The boat looks "right" and the smiles on the owner and crews faces in your earlier post said a lot.    

• Like 2

On 2/21/2019 at 5:11 PM, EYESAILOR said:

Good luck with this project Yorky.   The motivation seems admirable.....a boat that is easy and very fast.... a boat designed by a sailor for sailors.  The parameters seem realistic.  

Some people talk. Some people do.  You clearly fall into the "do it" category.   It wont be easy. I think Steve Clark once said "Its harder to launch a new one design class than build a new college at a university ....and costs about the same"  (His son Dave Clark clearly ignored this advice).  I for one wish this project well. The boat looks "right" and the smiles on the owner and crews faces in your earlier post said a lot.    

+1

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

On 12/7/2018 at 12:28 AM, windseekeryachts said:

Hull1 demolded with sole and internals laminated in...

First 2 hulls going to Sydney. Now taking orders for early 2019 delivery.

Www.Reosportboats.com

IMG_20181206_153921_978.jpg

So have you guy,s though about buying a ad ? 

You are promoting your new production and not a 1 off build boat for the last 6 months in order to sell new boats and develop a interest and promote you new design. 

So when are you or the Boat building team going to step up to the plate and “buy a ad” in all fairness to scot ? 

Scot works hard to promote Sailing and the industry and you are just trying to get free promotion for your new product. It’s time to step up to the plate and put your money were your mouth is this way you will get some credibility. 

Until then then you should think about removing this topic. Afterall in the building of the moulds you would of thrown out in value over 20 x more than the cost of a ad if not more. 

Pulpit 

On 9/28/2018 at 3:51 PM, tedrules said:

So tedrules, 

Are you going to buy a ad as well or are you just going to be like your mate ?

A user who is just happy to rip off others in order to promote your own production for free ? 

After 6 months of this topic running and you can’t even spend a few dollars to help scot out. You would of made more cash back in recycling the empty empty beer or rum cans than a ad would of cost.

pulpit

• Like 1

3,800  views so far.

Zero Dollars in advertising.

90 day ad costs $50US.

Comes with 3 little shitty thumbnails.

Then come back and post 100 good pics on this thread. 

Nice boat.

Who drinks cans of rum?!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, pulpit said:

So tedrules, 

A user who is just happy to rip off others in order to promote your own production for free ? 

After 6 months of this topic running and you can’t even spend a few dollars to help scot out. You would of made more cash back in recycling the empty empty beer or rum cans than a ad would of cost.

pulpit

You dont know Scot very well.

Im sure that if Yorky makes a few bucks on selling a bunch of these sexy looking boats he will be the first to buy some ads on SA.   But right now this is a guy throwing his own cash at  a concept that he believes will make high performance sailing fun and accessible.  Good for Yorky.   If Scots were here he would say "Props bro ....and don't forget us if you make a success of it"

Sailing World, SButt, Yachts and Yachting are pay to play.  Here we have a really interesting project that we would not hear about if it was not for SA. That's why some of us come here.

Keep the news coming Yorky.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

59 minutes ago, Mambo Kings said:

You dont know Scot very well.

Im sure that if Yorky makes a few bucks on selling a bunch of these sexy looking boats he will be the first to buy some ads on SA.   But right now this is a guy throwing his own cash at  a concept that he believes will make high performance sailing fun and accessible.  Good for Yorky.   If Scots were here he would say "Props bro ....and don't forget us if you make a success of it"

Sailing World, SButt, Yachts and Yachting are pay to play.  Here we have a really interesting project that we would not hear about if it was not for SA. That's why some of us come here.

Keep the news coming Yorky.

+1.

I know Scot very well as well.

Was waiting to have a boat on the water as we did with the Wraceboats GP26.  

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Love this project! I want to sail it up the Columbia River in the Double Damned Race one day...

• Like 2

13 hours ago, pulpit said:

So tedrules, 

pulpit

Personally, I like reading about this boat. Scot probably wants viewers, and this thead encourages me, at least, to come back here. But I get it, so "what's it rate" and don't worry, "it'll buff out". 

Peace.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Liquid said:

Love this project! I want to sail it up the Columbia River in the Double Damned Race one day...

But put a symmetrical kite on it. Did the DD on an asym sporty. Way too much gybing. Wylie Wabbit, damn rabbits, killed us.

14 hours ago, Varan said:

But put a symmetrical kite on it. Did the DD on an asym sporty. Way too much gybing. Wylie Wabbit, damn rabbits, killed us.

I've done it 1.5 times on a sporty and agree. We ended up 2 sailing in the windiest spots. It was the Moore 24s that killed us...

I have sold one boat and I'm building one for myself.

I have three guys, all from different countries keen to buy after a test sail.

Apart from one deposit I have funded this all myself to tune of well into six figures, most of it being debt. 

I believe in this boat and the One Design project it is. While we may not set the world on fire with sales I am sure all who sail on a REO 7.7 will have a LOT of FUN.

When I get the first two boats on the water and hopefully not such a negative balance at the bank I will be looking at advertising.

Thanks to all those enjoying and supporting this project.

Enjoy the pictures in the next post.

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

Hull 2 coming together, chainplate, keel and rudder.

1.3 Hull 2.1.jpg

1.3 Hull 2.2.jpg

27.2 Chainplate.jpg

1.3 Chainplate 2.jpg

1.3 Keel 2.jpg

1.3 Keel 1.jpg

27.2 Rudder.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tedrules said:

I have sold one boat and I'm building one for myself.

I have three guys, all from different countries keen to buy after a test sail.

Apart from one deposit I have funded this all myself to tune of well into six figures, most of it being debt. 

I believe in this boat and the One Design project it is. While we may not set the world on fire with sales I am sure all who sail on a REO 7.7 will have a LOT of FUN.

When I get the first two boats on the water and hopefully not such a negative balance at the bank I will be looking at advertising.

Thanks to all those enjoying and supporting this project.

Enjoy the pictures in the next post.

$?

6 hours ago, tedrules said:

Hull 2 coming together, chainplate, keel and rudder.

1.3 Hull 2.1.jpg

1.3 Hull 2.2.jpg

27.2 Chainplate.jpg

1.3 Chainplate 2.jpg

1.3 Keel 2.jpg

1.3 Keel 1.jpg

27.2 Rudder.jpg

OK, you got my interest...

Very nice!

• Like 1

How is the bulb attached to the keel?

What is the structure of the keel foil?

On 2/28/2019 at 9:10 PM, Varan said:

Are you high?

Yorky

I like most of what I am seeing regarding the construction

One exception is the chain plates - that is an awful lot of voids - you have probably lost close to 50% of the strength (especially long term strength) in that layup compared to a void-free one

On 3/1/2019 at 8:34 PM, EYESAILOR said:

How is the bulb attached to the keel?

What is the structure of the keel foil?

Bump. I am curious about this as well.   How is the keel strut laid up and how is it attached to the bulb?   How did you build the mold for keel and bulb?

Yorky? 

Windseeker?

On 3/2/2019 at 11:22 PM, Christian said:

Yorky

I like most of what I am seeing regarding the construction

One exception is the chain plates - that is an awful lot of voids - you have probably lost close to 50% of the strength (especially long term strength) in that layup compared to a void-free one

You ain't never lie......... however, there is so much strength there it will never be a problem. Consider that similar boats use sk90 for the standing rigging which is 6mm of fancy plastic, those chainplate shave a half life of about a zillion years. 

Void free would be nicer though. 

Boat 1 getting final parts at builders. No. 2 coming together. I will be doing all of the fit off in Australia.

Re: Keel glass and carbon layup. Not a hell of a lot of carbon required when bulb is 100kg. Bulb glued and pinned to keel.

Chainplate only takes half load of caps as the tail is split with the other half going to the hydraulic ram. Therefore even with pin holes it is probably 10x plus more than required.

Slot in aft quarter for Assy. sheet which leads below deck. Slot in foot rest for vang control line, so you don't sit on it while moving forward and aft in the boat.

Have not been here for a while as I am running three businesses. If you want more info just email me: aryork@optusnet.com.au

11..3 Bow.jpg

12.3 Rear qtr.jpg

12.3 Hatch & Fdeck.jpg

11.3 Stern.jpg

12.3 2nd port rear qtr.jpg

12.3 2nd rear qtr.jpg

12.3 2nd Stb bow.jpg

On 3/5/2019 at 1:27 AM, Mambo Kings said:

Bump. I am curious about this as well.   How is the keel strut laid up and how is it attached to the bulb?   How did you build the mold for keel and bulb?

Yorky? 

Windseeker?

Keel foil is carbon. It is laid up in female mold.

Bulb is pinned to foil with 2X M15 ss rods.

• Like 1

Keel fitted. You can see she will have plenty of form stability now!

15.3 Under 2.jpg

15.3 Under 1.jpg

14.3 Under.jpg

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, tedrules said:

Keel fitted. You can see she will have plenty of form stability now!

15.3 Under 2.jpg

15.3 Under 1.jpg

14.3 Under.jpg

Nice!

EVA deck foam in place. She is ready for fit out in OZ. One more to go.

2.4 EVA 2..jpg

2.4 EVA 3..jpg

2.3 EVA 1..jpg

2.4 EVA 4..jpg

• Like 2

Where do you live Norm?

Email me at aryork@optusnet.com.au & I'can give you some more information.

On 6/5/2019 at 1:43 AM, AVID said:

Bump... they must be wet by now

Boats arrived in Sydney and getting ready for fitout. Please contact Andrew  https://www.reosportsboats.com/for further info on timeline for launch.

FB_IMG_15603555192691289.jpg

FB_IMG_15603554985616016.jpg