Epi-sailor

J 108 - did they actually make them

Recommended Posts

We love our J109 but would like to sail in shallow water and at times have no choice.  The 108 was/is a 109 hull with a centerboard. It looks like they made at least one  but finding very little information on numbers built and or if any ended up in NA/US.  Anyone know more?  Thanks for the help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think there was one at the Annapolis boat show years ago, so there must be at least that one still in NA/US.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, slap said:

I think there was one at the Annapolis boat show years ago, so there must be at least that one still in NA/US.

That is about what I have sorted out.  Thought I would give j boats a call if not more info here.  Thanks for reply.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Capt Gaines said:

I may be able to help you with the J108 that is in the US...if you are still in the market.

 

Still interested - sent you a PM.  Thanks for the help

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Talked with Alan Johnstone today - he said that there was only one J/108 sold in the US.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You probably know this but if the 108 is not an option there were a few shoal draft 109s. One was on YW a year or so back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Movable Ballast said:

There are some shoal draft J109s around if that helps.

Thanks- we have/are giving some thought to that as well.  Also considering a different direction with a J95.  All good first world problems.

J 109 standard draft = 7'

J109 shoal draft = 5.75'

J108 = 4'  w/ board up

J95 = 3' w/ board up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Epi-sailor said:

Thanks- we have/are giving some thought to that as well.  Also considering a different direction with a J95.  All good first world problems.

J 109 standard draft = 7'

J109 shoal draft = 5.75'

J108 = 4'  w/ board up

J95 = 3' w/ board up

Indeed it is!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/4/2018 at 6:16 PM, slap said:

Talked with Alan Johnstone today - he said that there was only one J/108 sold in the US.

and am I right in thinking it has no engine?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Deed said:

and am I right in thinking it has no engine?

Why would you think that?  It's basically a J/109 with a centerboard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, slap said:

Why would you think that?  It's basically a J/109 with a centerboard.

Confusing it with another J/One-off I guess.  I just remember one that having no motor, maybe a bit smaller. Ring any bells?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Deed said:

Confusing it with another J/One-off I guess.  I just remember one that having no motor, maybe a bit smaller. Ring any bells?

The largest J with no motor was the J/90, and the next largest was certain versions of the J/29.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

J95 has center board but also a motor.  Very cool little boat boat but basically a day sailor.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/10/2018 at 4:35 PM, Epi-sailor said:

Thanks- we have/are giving some thought to that as well.  Also considering a different direction with a J95.  All good first world problems.

J 109 standard draft = 7'

J109 shoal draft = 5.75'

J108 = 4'  w/ board up

J95 = 3' w/ board up

J/108 also has a slightly shorter rig than a J/109

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I sailed the first 108 in the UK many years ago. I found it really needs 12kts to get going with the lack of overlapping headsail. Also downwind it feels like it suffers without the retracting bowsprit, I would definitely look at getting a slightly longer fixed bowsprit with integrated anchor roller. A code 0 would be mandatory, even for cruising. With the GRP centreboard raised the boat was still happy to sail upwind when up to speed and powered up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now