Epi-sailor

J 108 - did they actually make them

We love our J109 but would like to sail in shallow water and at times have no choice.  The 108 was/is a 109 hull with a centerboard. It looks like they made at least one  but finding very little information on numbers built and or if any ended up in NA/US.  Anyone know more?  Thanks for the help.

I think there was one at the Annapolis boat show years ago, so there must be at least that one still in NA/US.

15 hours ago, slap said:

I think there was one at the Annapolis boat show years ago, so there must be at least that one still in NA/US.

That is about what I have sorted out.  Thought I would give j boats a call if not more info here.  Thanks for reply.   

3 hours ago, Capt Gaines said:

I may be able to help you with the J108 that is in the US...if you are still in the market.

Still interested - sent you a PM.  Thanks for the help

Talked with Alan Johnstone today - he said that there was only one J/108 sold in the US.

You probably know this but if the 108 is not an option there were a few shoal draft 109s. One was on YW a year or so back.

22 hours ago, Movable Ballast said:

There are some shoal draft J109s around if that helps.

Thanks- we have/are giving some thought to that as well.  Also considering a different direction with a J95.  All good first world problems.

J 109 standard draft = 7'

J109 shoal draft = 5.75'

J108 = 4'  w/ board up

J95 = 3' w/ board up

18 hours ago, Epi-sailor said:

Thanks- we have/are giving some thought to that as well.  Also considering a different direction with a J95.  All good first world problems.

J109 shoal draft = 5.75'

J108 = 4'  w/ board up

J95 = 3' w/ board up

Indeed it is!

On 10/4/2018 at 6:16 PM, slap said:

Talked with Alan Johnstone today - he said that there was only one J/108 sold in the US.

and am I right in thinking it has no engine?

2 minutes ago, Deed said:

and am I right in thinking it has no engine?

Why would you think that?  It's basically a J/109 with a centerboard.

50 minutes ago, slap said:

Why would you think that?  It's basically a J/109 with a centerboard.

Confusing it with another J/One-off I guess.  I just remember one that having no motor, maybe a bit smaller. Ring any bells?

1 hour ago, Deed said:

Confusing it with another J/One-off I guess.  I just remember one that having no motor, maybe a bit smaller. Ring any bells?

The largest J with no motor was the J/90, and the next largest was certain versions of the J/29.

J95 has center board but also a motor.  Very cool little boat boat but basically a day sailor.  

On 10/10/2018 at 4:35 PM, Epi-sailor said:

J109 shoal draft = 5.75'

J108 = 4'  w/ board up

J95 = 3' w/ board up

J/108 also has a slightly shorter rig than a J/109

I sailed the first 108 in the UK many years ago. I found it really needs 12kts to get going with the lack of overlapping headsail. Also downwind it feels like it suffers without the retracting bowsprit, I would definitely look at getting a slightly longer fixed bowsprit with integrated anchor roller. A code 0 would be mandatory, even for cruising. With the GRP centreboard raised the boat was still happy to sail upwind when up to speed and powered up.