Barnacle Balls

Can you trim the jib sheets in cocktail dress?

Sure. I don' think it's a great look for me. I'm no Tim Curry. Maybe no more embarrassing than releasing a bot edit of a promo video for a multi-million dollar yacht.

Odds she is a card carrying member of the foredeck union?

You think she nails the owner's daughter down below while he is sleeping one off?   ;<)

She looks bored

3 minutes ago, Foreverslow said:

Odds she is a card carrying member of the foredeck union?

You think she nails the owner's daughter down below while he is sleeping one off?   ;<)

I am thinking she is the owner and the guy is the deck hand 

53 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

There are jib sheets in a cocktail dress? Who knew?

Only for the bigger sizes

1 hour ago, Christian said:

Only for the bigger sizes

Can you actually reef a cocktail dress?

• Downvote 1

That video is so creepy old man meets professional widow. Yuck.

• Like 1

If I wanted to spend that much on a boat I'd get a cat where the wine glasses could stay on the table while sailing.  There is something inherently dangerous about boats that wide heeling, it's fucked up for middle aged people who can afford them.

• Like 1

Would make a great daysailer though.  A wheel, plenty of cockpit space for, I dunno, 7 adults, better performance than a Catalina

• Like 6

3 hours ago, dogwatch said:

That video is so creepy old man meets professional widow. Yuck.

The old ‘get the boat and you too will have a great looking woman onboard’. 

Same old marketing shit. 

As I watched that, (yup, I did) I was wondering who was going to stow the main, help with anchor or get out the dock lines and fenders....

Then I saw that no one did as the boat was just drifting with the main only at sunset.... (musta been waiting for the launch to come get them and bring the docking crew aboard....)

2 hours ago, -Dino said:

to be that wealthy must be nice

It is. Thanks

• Like 2

the real tragic thing is the guy lost his hat towards the end, how depressing, I doubt she's going to put up with heading back to retrieve it......

29 minutes ago, Je Prefere said:

the real tragic thing is the guy lost his hat towards the end, how depressing, I doubt she's going to put up with heading back to retrieve it......

If it was a Mount Gay Hat then he is no longer kool 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, VWAP said:

She looks bored

She's emoting.   Unfortunately, the botox is getting in the way of her sophisticated look.

- Stumbling

3 hours ago, mad said:

The old ‘get the boat and you too will have a great looking woman onboard’. 

Same old marketing shit. 

Actually, its get the boat and have an over the hill BN to run it for the woman/owner.

- Stumbling

10 minutes ago, stumblingthunder said:

Actually, its get the boat and have an over the hill BN to run it for the woman/owner.

- Stumbling

What is a "BN"

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, VWAP said:

What is a "BN"

An abbreviation of quaint term that is no longer acceptable in the politically correct environment of today (Google is your friend.)   Consider it to be "sailing master", boat manager or boat maintenance worker (BMW.)

Those were the folks who did the repairs, delivered the boat to and from races, cleaned and prepped.   I was one for a good portion of my sailing life.

As opposed to the "O"s (owners), Rock Stars (industry guns for hire) and the occasional deck Twinkie (along to make the weather rail more visually pleasing.)

- Stumbling

Well, gee, that's a conversation ender.  lol

Back the the original question "Can you trim the jib sheets in cocktail dress?" I believe she shrugs it off, hurls it below, and does the deck work in her fine silk underpinnings.  Or less.  The BN driving will probably crash-tack.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, P_Wop said:

Back the the original question "Can you trim the jib sheets in cocktail dress?" I believe she shrugs it off, hurls it below, and does the deck work in her fine silk underpinnings.  Or less.  The BN driving will probably crash-tack.

You are just remembering back to when Didi, the cook, did a sponge bath on deck in the middle of the Miami-MoBay race!

- Stumbling

8 hours ago, mgs said:

Would make a great daysailer though.  A wheel, plenty of cockpit space for, I dunno, 7 adults, better performance than a Catalina

Well done! I was thinking the same thing.

BTW, are they wearing boat shoes?

1 hour ago, stumblingthunder said:

You are just remembering back to when Didi, the cook, did a sponge bath on deck in the middle of the Miami-MoBay race!

- Stumbling

The Lovely Dee on Condor.  How could one forget?  Lucky I wasn't driving.

Were you the good chap with the knife that went over the side after I took us too close to Cuba and we got lobster pot lines round the prop?  Or was that Manuel Labor?

6 hours ago, stumblingthunder said:

An abbreviation of quaint term that is no longer acceptable in the politically correct environment of today (Google is your friend.)   Consider it to be "sailing master", boat manager or boat maintenance worker (BMW.)

Those were the folks who did the repairs, delivered the boat to and from races, cleaned and prepped.   I was one for a good portion of my sailing life.

As opposed to the "O"s (owners), Rock Stars (industry guns for hire) and the occasional deck Twinkie (along to make the weather rail more visually pleasing.)

- Stumbling

6 hours ago, VWAP said:

What is a "BN"

Yeah but this is Anarchy & you aren’t using it to offend someone.

Boat Nigga FFS! 

10 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

Boat Nigga FFS! 

VAMP nose alleddey, he juste mackeng you squirme.                                        :)

I think she nodded off from the opiates again

00C2B5F7-996F-42D6-AE7A-91754614294F.jpeg

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Barnacle Balls said:

she needs some work done.

Yepp, propabley needs niew roofe on they manssione.

8 hours ago, VWAP said:

What is a "BN"

BN = NCYO ie a non-caucasian yacht operative.

• Like 3

I wonder how high heels go on that thing?

Seriously the more I think about it the more fucking dangerous those decks are.

1 hour ago, SPORTSCAR said:

BN = NCYO ie a non-caucasian yacht operative.

Interestingly I have never meet a  BN person of colour nor one offended by the term.....though they were offended when their President (LBJ) referred to them as  Nigras on TV. However it is a here we go again moment,  the human dignity aggrieved and politically correct will all be jumping out of the fucking woodwork any minute now. To beat them to the punch settle down petals it is a term dieing along with those that used it between 70 and 90's just like vinyl, though the latter is staging a comeback I see. Half baked alternatives have come and go over the years like Boat Nanny, Boat Nigel (Aust one) BMW or boat maintenance worker etc. None have stuck as they lack history and authenticity.

I'm certain of two things. The term BN will never return to the Sailing Dictionary and I'm sure I will find my old and faded IBNA T-Shirt before I die and hold it close. Interestingly they were always white from memory.

Here’s an old one...

Three Shortest books ever written:

Niggas I met sailing 

Italian war heroes 

Jewish business ethics

1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

Interestingly I have never meet a  BN person of colour nor one offended by the term.....though they were offended when their President (LBJ) referred to them as  Nigras on TV. However it is a here we go again moment,  the human dignity aggrieved and politically correct will all be jumping out of the fucking woodwork any minute now. To beat them to the punch settle down petals it is a term dieing along with those that used it between 70 and 90's just like vinyl, though the latter is staging a comeback I see. Half baked alternatives have come and go over the years like Boat Nanny, Boat Nigel (Aust one) BMW or boat maintenance worker etc. None have stuck as they lack history and authenticity.

I'm certain of two things. The term BN will never return to the Sailing Dictionary and I'm sure I will find my old and faded IBNA T-Shirt before I die and hold it close. Interestingly they were always white from memory.

IBNA - "In Us They Trust". They have a Facebook page:  "IBNA Yachting Professionals from the '70s, '80s and '90s Before GPS"

Lots of interesting history there from back in the day.

1 hour ago, random said:

I wonder how high heels go on that thing?

Seriously the more I think about it the more fucking dangerous those decks are.

Don't know about the deck but I think that boat is likely to have a dramatic loosening effect on knicker elastic.

7 hours ago, P_Wop said:

The Lovely Dee on Condor.  How could one forget?  Lucky I wasn't driving.

Were you the good chap with the knife that went over the side after I took us too close to Cuba and we got lobster pot lines round the prop?  Or was that Manuel Labor?

I think it was Simon the bowman that went over.   I seem to remember that we had to line down a set of bolt cutters to finally finish the job.

- Stumbling

• Like 1

8 hours ago, stumblingthunder said:

- Stumbling

She and Twinks the only 2 girls I can recall from that era. Were not shrinking violets.

41 minutes ago, stumblingthunder said:

I think it was Simon the bowman that went over.   I seem to remember that we had to line down a set of bolt cutters to finally finish the job.

- Stumbling

I went in the tide to deliver the cutters to Simon.

P-Wop: The lobster pen was at the end of Long Island in the Bahamas, in about 100 feet of water.   We had a light under the boat and you could see the pen being serenely towed below the Bus.   You certainly liked taking the corners close.   You could see and hear the waves breaking on Great Isaac Light before we tacked North on the first night out.

Yes Jack, she was one of a kind.   Following day after we arrived, the crew was at the MoBay Yacht Club on the pool deck having some post cleanup beers, which also happened to be my birthday and she proposed to me a marriage of convenience for US citizenship! 

- Stumbling

2 hours ago, SPORTSCAR said:

Don't know about the deck but I think that boat is likely to have a dramatic loosening effect on knicker elastic.

Yeah, well those fucks would be too expensive.

6 hours ago, stumblingthunder said:

I went in the tide to deliver the cutters to Simon.

P-Wop: The lobster pen was at the end of Long Island in the Bahamas, in about 100 feet of water.   We had a light under the boat and you could see the pen being serenely towed below the Bus.   You certainly liked taking the corners close.   You could see and hear the waves breaking on Great Isaac Light before we tacked North on the first night out.

Yes Jack, she was one of a kind.   Following day after we arrived, the crew was at the MoBay Yacht Club on the pool deck having some post cleanup beers, which also happened to be my birthday and she proposed to me a marriage of convenience for US citizenship! 

- Stumbling

All coming back now.  Cutting corners close - sure.  What are corners for?  Peter Bowker had warned me about the lobster stuff before the race but I somehow decided to ignore him.  Never a good idea.  Oh well, he beat us on Nirvana anyway.  

I'm still in touch with Dee and Twinks.  Fine ladies.

Were you part of that hot air ballooning party that Bob Bell sent us on in Jamaica?  I have photos somewhere.  Happy times.

10 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

I have met a BN of colour about 20 years ago and he wasn't offended by the term, in fact he introduced himself as such.  The last of the IOR maxi era.

6 minutes ago, mad said:

I have met a BN of colour about 20 years ago and he wasn't offended by the term, in fact he introduced himself as such.  The last of the IOR maxi era.

Nice, nice, that helps.

9 minutes ago, mad said:

That was probably Woodii.  Great man!

You can really get a measure of society's progress by the fact that the expanded form of BN is unacceptable even on SA. Still much work to do but it gives one hope in these dark times.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, IStream said:

You can really get a measure of society's progress by the fact that the expanded form of BN is unacceptable even on SA. Still much work to do but it gives one hope in these dark times.

But how can we MAGA if we can't drop the N bombs?  :ph34r:

13 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Are you sure...Australians are good at inventing stuff.

IMG_20181001_120328.jpg

12 hours ago, Gutterblack said:

A Kiwi and an Aussie are riding through the farm when they discover a sheep with its head stuck in a fence. The Kiwi gets off his horse, strides over to the sheep, fucks it from behind, and then gets back on his horse. He looks at the Aussie who is staring at him and says "Sorry mate, do ya wanna go too?" "Alright," says the Aussie. He walks over to the fence, puts his head through it, drops his pants and and says, "Go on mate!"

14 hours ago, Meat Wad said:

Give me a break Scot..................nothing going on anywhere else in the world??

You are a bad a cable news................Bla Bla Bla

:) :) :) :) :) 

Lmao 

Thread drift!  

Okay, lets' focus---diaphanous cocktail dress, jib sheet, winch.   Can they coexist?   Yes, but risky in a breeze as the dress can get wrapped under the jib sheets while trimming, which then might override themselves.  Zuit Alors!!!

Can any of the cocktail set use a rolling hitch to take the tension off the working sheet??    No?  ("what's a rolling hitch?").   Get your knife and cut the dress?  Or cut the sheet?  (new problem--"what's a 'knife'?").

Hmmm, no other way then, the cocktail dress just has to come off altogether..    which was likely the not-so subliminal message in the ad.

Back to the original question "Can you trim the jib sheets in cocktail dress?" Yes, but the crotch straps on my PFD play havoc with the hem line.

FWIW I think the broad's overdressed and the bastard on the helm looks too smug. I'd like to see the pair of them out in real weather, an F8 with a 3m swell, pissing rain and full oilies.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, P_Wop said:

All coming back now.  Cutting corners close - sure.  What are corners for?  Peter Bowker had warned me about the lobster stuff before the race but I somehow decided to ignore him.  Never a good idea.  Oh well, he beat us on Nirvana anyway.  

I'm still in touch with Dee and Twinks.  Fine ladies.

Were you part of that hot air ballooning party that Bob Bell sent us on in Jamaica?  I have photos somewhere.  Happy times.

I had fun on the race, but I could sense the tension between (trying to remember names) Julian (?) and Bob's personal secretary (looked like a really skinny Rob Lowe.)   After the race, Bob's secretary invited me to join the crew, but I have a sense it was more to be beholding to him, when the showdown occurred.   I told him to his face that there was going to be a big blowout shortly if things did not change and then it would get real dangerous on the boat when the experienced part of crew left.   One of the few times in my life where I had a clear vision of the future!

I was no longer on the boat when the ballooning party happened.

I later crossed paths with the crew at Charlotte Amalie while delivering a boat to Antigua for Race Week and found out about the mutiny.   They were humping all the sails off to be repaired.   I think a few more spinnakers were damaged and Simon fell off the boat during a race.

I have photos from onboard Condor during the race, but I am out of town on a longer term project.   I will forward them to you after I get back in a few of months.

I had a great time those couple of years!

- Stumbling

4 hours ago, stumblingthunder said:

I had fun on the race, but I could sense the tension between (trying to remember names) Julian (?) and Bob's personal secretary (looked like a really skinny Rob Lowe.)   After the race, Bob's secretary invited me to join the crew, but I have a sense it was more to be beholding to him, when the showdown occurred.   I told him to his face that there was going to be a big blowout shortly if things did not change and then it would get real dangerous on the boat when the experienced part of crew left.   One of the few times in my life where I had a clear vision of the future!

I later crossed paths with the crew at Charlotte Amalie while delivering a boat to Antigua for Race Week and found out about the mutiny.  

Yes, I was sadly mixed up in all that nonsense, trying to mediate.  Fat hope. 

Everyone was so dispirited and disorganized that we left MoBay for the USVI with almost no fuel, and ran out south of Haiti.  I had a particularly fluffy time trying to navigate an IOR Maxi, under sail, and at night several miles up an unlit twisty river with no small-scale chart.  The only way we knew there must be some sort of civilization in there was that there was a solitary church marked on the chart after 3 or 4 bends.  Where we thought it must be, we dropped the sails and chucked over a pick.  No lights anywhere.  Finally at daylight, there was the old church, with an appalling shanty town clustered round it.

Luckily we had a Frog aboard who could communicate with the locals.  Somehow he convinced them to bring out jerry jugs of diesel in a dug-out canoe with trash bag sails.  Third world?  Fifth.  I do have photos, which I will scan and post when I can.

Hopped off in the BVI and went to race with Robin Tattersall.

11 hours ago, P_Wop said:

That was probably Woodii.  Great man!

Think he was on Emaraude at the time??  But it was a little bit hazy that week  

St Tropez, back when it was called La Nioulargue. Fuck I’m sounding old. :P

Edit to add,

Mistress Quickly was there as well, wonder how the curry was that year?   :lol:

• Like 1

I know this is a thread drift but I think this was below on Condor on that Miami MoBay race, or maybe the previous year.  A bit different to the Mylius interior, I believe.

image.thumb.png.cf1acda6db9acb4f90ea9f0dc319891a.png

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, mad said:

Fuck I’m sounding old. :P

Mad it does when you think that would have been Huisman's largest build to date..now too small to quote on.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Mad it does when you think that would have been Huisman's largest build to date..now too small to quote on.

Fucking hell Jack, thanks for that!!

talk about kicking a man when’s he’s down :P  I’m not as old as you two. 

25 minutes ago, P_Wop said:

I know this is a thread drift but I think this was below on Condor on that Miami MoBay race, or maybe the previous year.  A bit different to the Mylius interior, I believe.

It'll certainly age better than the interior of the Mylius.

8 hours ago, P_Wop said:

Cant see any women in cocktail dresses in that lot. Why does the word 'Flatulence' spring to mind when I look at that picture?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mad said:

Fucking hell Jack, thanks for that!!

talk about kicking a man when’s he’s down :P  I’m not as old as you two. 

Mad it is all relative..like if UTuber was invented 35 years ago I would have been fucked, then had to park my primary big boat BN skill set and revert to another ..like ensuring even the ugly big dumb cunts on board got a root...some even married them. I don't think a lot has changed.

That whole video is really disturbing. 

42 minutes ago, Alan H said:

That whole video is really disturbing. 

There is no joy in it.  No soul.  It could have been robots aboard.

1 hour ago, MauiPunter said:

There is no joy in it.  No soul.  It could have been was robots aboard.

FIFY

Was HERITAGE around that year Mad? My most memorable year on big boats was when UBS, MISTRESS QUICKLY and HERITAGE had an amazingly close regatta at Antigua Race Week. If it helps jog the memory, that was the year that the Spronk cat SKYJACK T-boned MISTRESS QUICKLY with D Randy driving. What a wuk-up?!

1 hour ago, MauiPunter said:

There is no joy in it.  No soul.  It could have been robots aboard.

Nexus6 pleasure model... older series.

2 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

b0e43c88-56c3-4f29-900c-992bccbdb1da.jpg

Serial number

N6FAB21416

Whoa. Speaking of the Zombie Fleet.

I want one.

• Like 1

On 10/2/2018 at 2:51 AM, P_Wop said:

That had to be previous year.   Way too hot below to be wearing long sleeves!

And Sportscar, I believe that DeeDee bunked in the back, in the O-zone.

- Stumbling

• Like 1

On 10/1/2018 at 10:22 AM, Barnacle Balls said:

she needs some work done.

I guess you have never been with a women over 40 then? You don't know what you are missing.

29 minutes ago, stumblingthunder said:

That had to be previous year.   Way too hot below to be wearing long sleeves!

And Sportscar, I believe that DeeDee bunked in the back, in the O-zone.

- Stumbling

Who belongs to the mystery hand?

CONDOR.png.83a037f973ef86ac050cacf07d73ab37.png

There's a couple there that look like they could use help from Mines Rescue..

11 hours ago, LB 15 said:

I guess you have never been with a women over 40 then? You don't know what you are missing.

Are you referring to that famous NYYC rant post? 

8 hours ago, stumblingthunder said:

Oh, that is just Cousin It.

- Stumbling

Or it could be Thing.   Sometimes they look alike from certain angles.

- Stumbling

On 9/30/2018 at 11:58 AM, IStream said:

folding chairs and split berths?

I could rationalize the split berths- home and away.   But I thought the same thing-- unsecured chairs!?!?

4 hours ago, 10thTonner said:

Are you referring to that famous NYYC rant post? 

IIRC that was one of LR’s finest works. But not in this case, just giving the younger members some pointers in life.