Barnacle Balls

Can you trim the jib sheets in cocktail dress?

1 hour ago, Barnacle Balls said:

Gryffindor house had a sailing team?

Hmmmm 8 or so guys all down below with smiles on their faces, nttiawwt

5 hours ago, Recidivist said:

Jack, I hope this bloke was wearing a blue and white striped apron.  At 13:50 as he's milking the cover over, you can see the core is loose, meaning that the core won't take any weight and only the cover will end up with all the load... 

Mate that Vid lost me having no big boat rigging reality like sincere use of the hammer.

This thread is very circular. I would  throw him over the side and root her all day long..but not necessarily in that order if he had something really interesting to say.

this thread is worthless without pics

8 hours ago, SPORTSCAR said:

I think you'll find that the infamous NYYC rant was written in response to LRs post. I think I have it on a portable hard drive around here somewhere along with all my other literary classics such as The Complete Works of William Shakespeare, Milton's Paradise Lost and Paul Keating's description of Malcolm Fraser looking like an Easter Island statue with an arse full of razor blades.

Leaving a puddle on the .5 runner...... bwahahaha

no need to go to all that trouble.

"

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Barnacle Balls said:

Gryffindor house had a sailing team?

If only the coffee grinders were enchanted....

- Stumbling

1 hour ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

she really bounces when you give her a shot..

Gives a beating when she takes a beating!

- Stumbling

Too sheer for a cocktail dress.  I think is must be a nightgown. 

On 10/5/2018 at 2:51 AM, SPORTSCAR said:

I think you'll find that th infamous NYYC rant was written in response to LRs post. I think I have it on a portable hard drive around here somewhere along with all my other literary classics such as The Complete Works of William Shakespeare, Milton's Paradise Lost and Paul Keating's description of Malcolm Fraser looking like an Easter Island statue with an arse full of razor blades.

Leaving a puddle on the .5 runner...... bwahahaha

bch's best

• Like 1

Who would find that video attractive?

They are sitting 40 feet from each other. It's like they don't even know the other person is on the boat.  I mean, I think the message is...

"This is a big boat. If you buy this boat, a really classy woman is going to have sex with you after she enjoys sailing with you."

But they look like they each think the other person has a disease. Exactly, there is no joy in that video. It's like an icicle.  She beautiful but I'd a thousand times over rather go sailing with someone who at least makes an attempt to indicate that she likes me.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Alan H said:

Who would find that video attractive?

They are sitting 40 feet from each other. It's like they don't even know the other person is on the boat.  I mean, I think the message is...

"This is a big boat. If you buy this boat, a really classy woman is going to have sex with you after she enjoys sailing with you."

But they look like they each think the other person has a disease. Exactly, there is no joy in that video. It's like an icicle.  She beautiful but I'd a thousand times over rather go sailing with someone who at least makes an attempt to indicate that she likes me.

As I said  before: cold, sterile, unwelcoming, frigid, boring, noveau-riche, high-maintenance, fairly expensive, possibly dangerous (at least for the unexperienced), almost entirely empty inside, needs to be taken care of by a crew of full-on professionals, looks like a Wally on downers, sailed by a tool... I am still talking about the boat, btw! 

What is it with the companionway? It must never rain in the Med !

325listpr-my11-17.jpg

Careful.  She is the most bullied person in America.  :ph34r:

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 10:11 AM, thepointyends said:

All in all, I'd say that the girl who makes french toast is just a better crew mate than this stuck up thing.

I'd say her fun and flirtatious days are far behind her and now working hard on perfecting the "boiled lolly" look, not sure if she'd be a lot of use bleeding diesel injectors though

How someone who's objectively good looking can be so unattractive is a mystery to me. I bet butter wouldn't melt in her mouth.

3 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

Notte surre that ist a goode thinge.........                  :)

It wasn't meant as a compliment...

9 hours ago, IStream said:

How someone who's objectively good looking can be so unattractive is a mystery to me. I bet butter wouldn't melt in her mouth.

No mystery...just deathly afraid to open her mouth and smile in case we see bits of POTUS we shouldn't.

On 10/2/2018 at 4:46 AM, jack_sparrow said:

Mad it is all relative..like if UTuber was invented 35 years ago I would have been fucked, then had to park my primary big boat BN skill set and revert to another ..like ensuring even the ugly big dumb cunts on board got a root...some even married them. I don't think a lot has changed.

That's done wrong, BTW.

15 minutes ago, dash34 said:

That's done wrong, BTW.

If you look at my comment under his YouTube segment (JW) from about 3 months ago (about mid July 2018) I added some suggestions which may be more in line with your experience.  Let me know if you hate my method as well!

55 minutes ago, P_Wop said:

If you look at my comment under his YouTube segment (JW) from about 3 months ago (about mid July 2018) I added some suggestions which may be more in line with your experience.  Let me know if you hate my method as well!

I just checked your comments J, and agree with many.  Instead of beeswax, I melted the end of the tails - your idea may have been simpler.  Interesting to see your idea of switching from against the lay with the core to with the lay for the cover.  Definitely "locks" the splice so it can't spiral out.  Back when I started wire-rope splicing it was most common to go with the lay, but I didn't like it because it trapped moisture (galv wire in those days) and rusted the wire at the splice, and it also resulted in a harsher "step" between the splice and the wire, causing a work-hardening point.  So I went for against the lay, but ensuring that a different pair of wires was used for each splice, with the splices hard up against each other instead of being spaced (which seemed to me to invariably lead to failure of the core splice).  Against the lay opened the splice to better ventilation, and allowed for easier tapering, which definitely streamlined the transition from wire to full thickness of the rope. You may have seen my comments upthread.  Many of the USA 12's in Fremantle probably didn't know their halyards were being spliced in Darwin!

I wouldn't have done a wire splice for what - 25 years now - I definitely do NOT miss stabbing myself with the bloody fid!  

• Like 1

We didn't worry about rust in the splice, mate.  They never lasted that long on maxis!

Any time we were in Cowes we bought a couple of drums of galv wire from Spencers.  They had the best.  They wouldn't tell us where they bought it, but it was fine stuff.

All good.  And I don't miss it neither.  But beer and tunes (and occasional racer-chasers) in the rigging container were always a bonus.

Just showed wifey that vid, and her question, not to me but the universe as a whole, was "why is it uncool to smile"?

my only thought was pretentiousness 

16 hours ago, Recidivist said:

I just checked your comments J, and agree with many.  Instead of beeswax, I melted the end of the tails - your idea may have been simpler.  Interesting to see your idea of switching from against the lay with the core to with the lay for the cover.  Definitely "locks" the splice so it can't spiral out.  Back when I started wire-rope splicing it was most common to go with the lay, but I didn't like it because it trapped moisture (galv wire in those days) and rusted the wire at the splice, and it also resulted in a harsher "step" between the splice and the wire, causing a work-hardening point.  So I went for against the lay, but ensuring that a different pair of wires was used for each splice, with the splices hard up against each other instead of being spaced (which seemed to me to invariably lead to failure of the core splice).  Against the lay opened the splice to better ventilation, and allowed for easier tapering, which definitely streamlined the transition from wire to full thickness of the rope. You may have seen my comments upthread.  Many of the USA 12's in Fremantle probably didn't know their halyards were being spliced in Darwin!

I wouldn't have done a wire splice for what - 25 years now - I definitely do NOT miss stabbing myself with the bloody fid!  

I always go against the lay for the core and with the lay for the cover.  I think it gives a better taper and more even distribution of the cover around the wire bundles.  I melt the ends, but usually there isn't much to melt if the taper is done properly.  Oxidation isn't an issue with stainless wire which is what I normally work with.  Going against the lay with the cover might create a hard spot at the transition between core and cover, IMHO.  

In the splice above the core wasn't tapered properly either, IMHO.  Not that all my splices are perfect, but they are generally better than this.