Sign in to follow this  
Code 2

Platu 25 - New Rig Ideas

Our Platu 25 is a fun little boat - but I have been thinking about making some changes.

A masthead kite is on the list - and a carbon rig.  A used rig like a viper 830 might work.  Any ideas on locating a rig that would work without breaking the bank?  New just doesn't seem reasonable from a cost perspective.

The idea is intriguing - just exploring options and ideas.

Cheers!

I would compare rig measurements of the Farr 25 One Design. I would think that would give you an idea of what changes have contributed to its speed over the Plath.  I think the Platu has a reputation of being a good light air performer and a little squirley as the wind picks up. Might have to do something more with the keel/ ballast if you add rig.

2 hours ago, Code 2 said:

Our Platu 25 is a fun little boat - but I have been thinking about making some changes.

A masthead kite is on the list - and a carbon rig.  A used rig like a viper 830 might work.  Any ideas on locating a rig that would work without breaking the bank?  New just doesn't seem reasonable from a cost perspective.

The idea is intriguing - just exploring options and ideas.

Cheers!

That would be a substantial turboing - the V830 rig is something like 6 feet longer

No doubt the 830 rig is bigger - and would need to be modified to make it work - thats the dilema.  I was hoping to find an extra rig in some yard that is taking up space that might work.

Checking out a visting V830 over the weekend with the double spreader masthead configuration was the reason for the comment - not necessarily the dimensions.

This concept is cost prohibitive - but its fun to dream.

On 10/1/2018 at 9:28 AM, Code 2 said:

No doubt the 830 rig is bigger - and would need to be modified to make it work - thats the dilema.  I was hoping to find an extra rig in some yard that is taking up space that might work.

Checking out a visting V830 over the weekend with the double spreader masthead configuration was the reason for the comment - not necessarily the dimensions.

This concept is cost prohibitive - but its fun to dream.

Not only that - you won't find any used V830 rigs floating around

maybe look at the far 25 as mentioned by others.  Some others to look at - GP26, farreast 27, and the like.  a new rig will cost you in the 25k range unless you go something like Forte and you may be able to get it in the 16-18K range.  Finding a boat that is currently being manufactured and buying a standard rig will be far cheaper than a one-off - even though the standing rigging will be somewhat custom due to a different hull topography

If was my boat I would go bow sprit and big asymmetric and go sailing 

we sail a lot.  the boat has a bow sprit and we use both asym and sym kites.

for a little boat its a lot of fun and costs are reasonable.

putting a carbon rig in it would add zero value but still a fun concept to  consider.

I saw the old Peerless Melges 30 for sale on yachtworld and think that would be a better use of the funds to be honest.  so many options....

I think you floated this idea a several months ago on here Code...

Seems like a fun idea for where you sail in lighter breezes if you have a lot of cash to throw away.  I sail my Platu a lot also, mine is in the water at least 2x per month.  I also sail it in Gulf of Thailand where Bruce Farr designed them for originally after researching local weather patterns.  We get lots of light air here as well, but it also blows hard fairly often in Southwest monsoon season.  I would not want to be on my Platu with 6 extra feet of rig in anything over maybe 8knots of wind.  I am powered up fully in 8kts true and need full complement of crew (400kg+ on the rail) above 10kts or we just go sideways.  Unless I reef the main and go down to #2 or #3 jib.

Remember that you need righting moment and planing surface area to go any faster than a Platu will already go.  They are very narrow on the water line.  They do not plane, they only surf.  I've had mine to 12.3 knots over ground with just main and jib, but that was in 20kts of wind and surfing down 2-3m steep wind swell with about 300kg on the rail.  Adding more sail area just seems to either knock you over or dig a bigger hole in the water if you can keep her under her rig.  To say they are squirrely in a breeze is definitely correct! 

BTW Code 2, you should fly over here for 13-15 October...  we're having our third one design regatta of the year, Platu Cup, and still have some boats available to charter.  We have 12 of them here.   Teams flying in from Aus, UK, Malaysia and also our few local teams including mine.  Flights to BKK are cheap right now!  ;)  ;) 

https://www.yachtsinthailand.com/?page_id=1547

If anything I would look at a same size or even slightly shorter mast and build a conservative fathead. Then add a masthead runner a la jboats and a fractional reacher.

The fixed sprit is a big performance improver but you have that. Search this forum for "Fixed Carbon Bowsprit" and you can see all the details on the custom one we added to our Platu. Attached is an image. Since a pole lift is no longer needed on our boat, a small but important change was to remove it and use that exit on the mast for the main halyard instead of having it at the mast step. Raising the dropping the main, with the halyard on the cabin top becomes very easy especially shorthanded.

We explored a new mast but the cost was excessive for little gain ( a bit more stability due to decrease in spar weight = hike harder). The existing spar does NOT have sufficient strength at the tip to handle a masthead chute.  Additionally, as noted, the hull and keel do not have sufficient righting moment. Net -net buy a Farr 25 if you like the Platu but want a carbon rig and a masthead chute.

Our sailmaker advised that a fathead main would work; we already have a decent length flicker, so that may be the next move.

All in all, we love the boat, it is a terrific light air flyer.

1778070331_sprit1(2).thumb.JPG.c16cf90226ba99186855445a0189b50a.JPG

I have one in Toronto also. I wonder how many are in North America. Also have a carbon sprit ad the boat is fun to sail. 

Anyone have a tuning guide? 

Try and get hold of the 18 footer guys to see if they have a spare carbon mast ? Their no1 mast isjust over 10m long  Howie Hamlin is your man

9 hours ago, Golfinaspen said:

North has one, file attached. The VPP is also attached. It is for the boat in OD setup and does not apply downwind under assym chute.

Tuning_Guide_North.pdf

design316vpp.pdf

Thanks 

i do have the North guide 

I changed a few things on the boat so still playing around 

On 10/6/2018 at 6:09 PM, Golfinaspen said:

The fixed sprit is a big performance improver but you have that. Search this forum for "Fixed Carbon Bowsprit" and you can see all the details on the custom one we added to our Platu. Attached is an image. Since a pole lift is no longer needed on our boat, a small but important change was to remove it and use that exit on the mast for the main halyard instead of having it at the mast step. Raising the dropping the main, with the halyard on the cabin top becomes very easy especially shorthanded.

We explored a new mast but the cost was excessive for little gain ( a bit more stability due to decrease in spar weight = hike harder). The existing spar does NOT have sufficient strength at the tip to handle a masthead chute.  Additionally, as noted, the hull and keel do not have sufficient righting moment. Net -net buy a Farr 25 if you like the Platu but want a carbon rig and a masthead chute.

Our sailmaker advised that a fathead main would work; we already have a decent length flicker, so that may be the next move.

All in all, we love the boat, it is a terrific light air flyer.

1778070331_sprit1(2).thumb.JPG.c16cf90226ba99186855445a0189b50a.JPG

Curious 

what kind of PHRF rating did you get with this setup 

been fighting with the PHRF here and so far they have given me 126 

I am the only Platu in the area 

The LIS PHRF certificate is attached.  The spin rating is 120 and the non-spin rating is 126.  The sprit was designed with  so that TPS would result in an adjustment at the top end of the 120 rating band. There was no reason to go any longer.  Hope this helps.

2018 PHRF Certificate.pdf

Thank you 

at least I know now that I am in the right area

I love the fixed sprit on your Platz. Looks like this is really improving the performance. But just to make it clear. The Farr25 has nothing in common with the Platu but the design office and boat length. The hull design is completely different than the one of the Platu (I own a Farr25). Simply adding the Farr25 spar will not change a Platu into a Farr25.  A spare mast for the Farr25 will come at around 15k to 18k Euros and I am not that sure that you will get a reasonable performance change from it that is worth the buck. Especially as the mast is designed for the performance needs of the Farr25 and is super stiff. I just recently had to sail in 40knots of wind and we couldnt reef. The only thing I was really NOT worried about, was the mast. No movement at all. No swinging, no bending. The whole thing was just standing upright flatning the sails to a max and giving us the best the boat could give... If you want to switch to a mast head solution, I would first speak with Farr Yacht Design and see what they suggest. Quiet sure they thought about this already and have some ideas...