Jud - s/v Sputnik

Jeanne Socrates - nonstop solo RTW 2018

Playing around with the settings sure makes one more interested in digital modes.  I wonder when you’ll be able to check into Pacific Seafarers Net with PSK31?  Speaking of which, pacseanet.com seems to be 404?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, toddster said:

pacseanet.com seems to be 404?

Try this: https://pacseanet.blogspot.com/

JS8 is my current favorite digital mode.  Slow, but excellent characteristics for weak signal contacts.

1 hour ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

For around 02-03 UTC (if that was her schedule), I get 18.1, 21.1 and 14.1 MHz as the best.  I think that’s right - do you get the same?

I’m trying to remember the very general guideline for propagation for day/night - higher frequencies 8-25MHz for longer distance and generally better at night?

Yes, I get the same results.  My path-quality numbers may be different than yours, since I adjusted the transmitter power down to 100W,  put a 1/4-wave vertical at one end and a 1/2-wave dipole at the other.  That's closer to our realities than the 1500W into a 3-element 20-meter beam that is the default configuration on that website.

In general, lower frequencies are better at night, and higher frequencies during the day.  40-meters and below at night, 20-meters and above during the day.  Of course the solar flux can make a huge difference, especially on the higher frequencies.  The actual path distance and orientation is also critical.  I'm not enough of an expert to be able to give you more than a hand-waving type of explanation though.

Jeanne replied, pointing me to her QRZ.com page for the skeds (under her VE0JS call):

FREQUENCIES
      2300Z 7.160Mhz
         11:00Z 7.163Mhz
       0515Z

14.183Mhz

That last entry is the Anza net.  I'm listening to that freq right now (0554Z) and am hearing the appropriate accents and callsigns (not Jeanne's though).  Perhaps I can tune in earlier tomorrow -- the propagation forecast looks good.  7.163 MHz at 1100Z also looks promising for propagation.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, valis said:

Yes, I get the same results.  My path-quality numbers may be different than yours, since I adjusted the transmitter power down to 100W,  put a 1/4-wave vertical at one end and a 1/2-wave dipole at the other.  That's closer to our realities than the 1500W into a 3-element 20-meter beam that is the default configuration on that website.

In general, lower frequencies are better at night, and higher frequencies during the day.  40-meters and below at night, 20-meters and above during the day.  Of course the solar flux can make a huge difference, especially on the higher frequencies.  The actual path distance and orientation is also critical.  I'm not enough of an expert to be able to give you more than a hand-waving type of explanation though.

I think I did (or least tried to do) the same re: entering more “realistic” tx power and antenna types. (But it looks like some parameters I entered may have changed slightly after I plugged them in, like lat/long.  Odd. But if you’re getting basically the same path-quality, “best frequencies”, that seems to suggest I entered things more or less the same.)

Thanks for Jeanne’s scheduled times - should’ve known to look on qrz. Will try a contact tonight and tomorrow a.m., even if it means setting alarm for very, very early wake up :-)  So, PDT 1600, 2215...or 0400...perhaps hear you at some point.

What I’m getting into my thick skull from all this (propagation/solar flux/time of day/path type, etc...) is that making contacts on HF really can be very unpredictable.  But, by contrast, (and this part sort of puzzles me) presumably it can also be pretty reliable —hence its use/requirement for, say, the SHTP or PacCup.  So, in short, Jeanne is in fact generally limited in terms of with whom/where she can make contact, and when...and these transmit/receive factors are presumably critical to know when offshore.  But I also am under the impression that the better/more robust automatic tuner (like Icom AT-130, etc), combined with great seawater antenna counterpoise, and no land-based EMI around her probably give her (and boats in general) a much better “set up” for transmitting and receiving than a very basic land station (like mine?)

12 hours ago, toddster said:

Playing around with the settings sure makes one more interested in digital modes.  I wonder when you’ll be able to check into Pacific Seafarers Net with PSK31?  Speaking of which, pacseanet.com seems to be 404?  

Which, I think, is one reason why CW (a “digital mode”) still remains/is used  - it requires only very small bandwidth, so it’s possible to get a signal out even with very poor conditions? (And it also remains/is used because of its retro techno-geek appeal to some folks :) .)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Which, I think, is one reason why CW (a “digital mode”) still remains/is used  - it requires only very small bandwidth, so it’s possible to get a signal out even with very poor conditions? (And it also remains/is used because of its retro techno-geek appeal to some folks :) .)

I can get through with JS8 (or FT8 or WSPR, etc) much better than with CW.  Those modes can work with *negative* signal-to-noise ratios, signals so weak that you can't hear them when listening to the audio.  But CW is good, for my first 20 years as a ham I that's the only mode I could afford.

On 5/2/2019 at 10:56 PM, valis said:

Jeanne replied, pointing me to her QRZ.com page for the skeds (under her VE0JS call):

FREQUENCIES
      2300Z 7.160Mhz
         11:00Z 7.163Mhz
       0515Z

14.183Mhz

That last entry is the Anza net.  I'm listening to that freq right now (0554Z) and am hearing the appropriate accents and callsigns (not Jeanne's though).  Perhaps I can tune in earlier tomorrow -- the propagation forecast looks good.  7.163 MHz at 1100Z also looks promising for propagation.

Hmm, I tried at 0515Z (2215 PDT) last night on 14.183 and heard only noise.  (Is it possible, for whatever reason, I’m not able to receive some higher frequencies?  Recall we were able to connect on 40m the other week; I’ve also talked on 80m.)

I’ll try the early sked tomorrow morning (1100Z/0400PDT on 7.163).

2 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Hmm, I tried at 0515Z (2215 PDT) last night on 14.183 and heard only noise.  (Is it possible, for whatever reason, I’m not able to receive some higher frequencies?  Recall we were able to connect on 40m the other week; I’ve also talked on 80m.)

I’ll try the early sked tomorrow morning (1100Z/0400PDT on 7.163).

It's possible that you have a receiving problem, but probably not.  Do the trick where you unplug your coax from the radio and see if the noise level drops.  If so, your antenna / tuner / cables are probably OK.  I should be able to try the Anza net tonight, and will let you know what I hear.  I will try transmitting so if you're on perhaps we can have a contact, but the north/south path between out locations looks marginal 5-6PM.

Well done that woman...

Friday 3rd May at 23:55:57 GMT = 9:56am Saturday 4th May LT! We passed the SE Cape of Tasmania - our Fourth Great Cape of the Southern Ocean on this voyage.

We're now officially back in the Pacific Ocean!

Bit of luck involved with the weather... hope it holds out for the next week or so

I'm wondering if her current slow speed is her waiting for that big low-pressure system to her east to move NW and dissipate a bit.  Conditions will then be confused and light, then get better for making the NZ cape  starting about five days from now.

As for radio propagation, another useful tool is the website https://pskreporter.info/pskmap.html

Here's a chunk of a screen shot from pskreporter showing all (reported) 20-meter traffic over the last 15 minutes.  You can see that the path from us to Jeanne is far from dead.

prop20m.jpg.041b32d7ae8b1d31faa836e63cbff4b5.jpg

I checked in to the ANZA net (still listening) and was able to hear Jeanne reasonably well, about 90% copy through the hiss.  The net control operator tried to let me talk to her, but the conditions were poor so she couldn't hear me.  Actually, my radio was acting up -- this was the first time I had cranked the power up to 100W and I think I am getting self-interference.  Will need to work on that, it's pretty well-behaved at my regular power level of <25W.  

[update:  looks like a flaky connector]

Hmm, just tried at 0400PDT/1100Z - only occasional very distant, indistinct broken up voices on 7163 past the ever-present hiss and crackle.  (In fact, when I spin the dial, from 3.5 to 30, noise is basically all I get except for digital beeps here and there, the occasional religious broadcast and commercial type stns, usually the various time signals.  Occasional voice conversations (apparently in U.S.?), but not cleat at all.  I’d have thought this early in a.m. I’d hear something.  Feel like I need to take everything apart and start again, maybe alter antenna? Nothing really seems to be working.)

Don't want to jinx her but she seems to be one storm away from turning left toward more clement conditions. I hope that she will be able to mend her mainsail, otherwise the crossing of the pacific high might be a bit long. Tough lady, her technique of slowing down at each gale must have been hard on her from a psychological point of view, respect!

Day 219 Thurs-Fri 9-10 May 2019 Another day of light winds with more drifting around, S of Tasman Sea
https://svnereida.com/blog/5102-day-219-thurs-fri-9-10-may-2019-another-day-of-light-winds-with-more-drifting-around-s-of-tasman-sea

5am Saturday LT (1900Z Friday) SSW-SW wind often right down around 9kt (seeing 7kt wind and SOG 1.3kt, as I write this) - barely making way, but on course to Stewart Island.... Hoping wind light enough in daylight (dark now) to get at those mainsail sail slides.
Expecting strong winds from later today, on over weekend and into next week.

• 10/05/2019 22:05:24
  • Lat/Lng:-45.018000, 154.135000
  • Speed:1.9 knots
  • Heading:115°

svnereida_190510a.thumb.jpg.6e831ff7a9ec091d69934b7b0f155f99.jpg

https://www.windy.com/-Wind-gusts-gust?gust,-43.668,158.511,6,m:cp8akrP

svnereida_190510b.thumb.jpg.7183f897bc4582eb6b8eea04f395db1d.jpg

And looking at average GFS wind, this is what she's got right now:

2019-05-10.thumb.jpg.b22f36458c7aef92a5977639ef2dfb4d.jpg

She's been doing a lot of drifting today.  I sure hope she gets her mainsail set up soon.

That will be the 4 great capes to repair the sail. That might be a record. She might tie my record for procrastination, but that is land based.:D

Go Jeanne, your gonna make it. Passing NZ will be a huge lift for her spirits.

https://svnereida.com/blog

FWIW, I keep forgetting that the "1.9 kts" reported by her tracker is questionable at best.  Based on her last two positions and report times, she's making a bit better than 2.7 kts.  This is certainly more in line with what I would expect with her just using the genoa in 10-13 kt winds.  And way better than 1.9 kts, which when I see it always makes me wonder what she's doing?

Running Windy for the next week suggests if she can avoid putting out the drogue again and keep going with reduced sail she will have good following winds and get around NZ before anything really nasty arrives.

3 minutes ago, TheDragon said:

Running Windy for the next week suggests if she can avoid putting out the drogue again and keep going with reduced sail she will have good following winds and get around NZ before anything really nasty arrives.

I think she was a bit premature in stating a few days ago that she was back in the Pacific... I imagine most would still say Southern Ocean....until past the Chathams...

As you say... she needs to keep moving this time..

She's in a blow now,, and still making 5-6 kts in the right direction (which is downwind).

Average windspeed 38/39 kts (ECMWG/GFS models)
Gusts 57/51 kts
Waves 26 ft, 12 seconds (average of the two wave models)

The conditions will moderate within 36 hours, but during the tail-end of that she will have a bit of a lee-shore situation.  Here's this morning's position and average wind:

2019-05-14.thumb.jpg.084dad5dd1ed7224094f7beef63e1f78.jpg

So she can turn north once she rounds that cape? And she's been doing this on jib alone, all this time?

Day 222 Sun-Mon 12-13 May 2019 Rough seas increase as strong weather system gets closer, By Jeanne Socrates , on 14 May 2019 03:46
https://svnereida.com/blog/5106-day-222-sun-mon-12-13-may-2019-rough-seas-increase-as-strong-weather-system-gets-closer

Hoping to make Stewart Island by Thursday afternoon - would be nice to round in daylight because of the rocks to be avoided to its E - North Trap, South Trap and Boomerang Breaker are well named. Also lots of albatross and other birds to be seen there - was wonderful passing by last time just after dawn and seeing so many flying around...

• 14/05/2019 09:19:19
  • Lat/Lng:-46.666500, 161.797000
  • Speed:5.8 knots
  • Heading:123°

https://www.windy.com/?-46.233,170.244,6,m:cnqakEQ

svnereida_190514a.jpg.ec71aca91c162aed8c1981a462f666b4.jpg

svnereida_190514b.jpg.3694b54b0a7e1f06262111ee937000dd.jpg

Posted (edited)

This is all starting to look quite ugly, wind backing to the SW at similar strength, heavy SW sea and swell with residual NW swell, lee shore....

all the while relying on an electronic autopilot. Is her trysail on a separate track to her main or has she removed it while put her main back on?

https://www.metservice.com/marine-surf/coastal/foveaux

Added bit......

https://www.metservice.com/marine-surf/coastal/puysegur

*** STORM WARNING IN FORCE ***
North of West Cape: Northwest 40 knots,easing to southwest 25 knots late evening. Elsewhere: Northwest 60 knots, becoming southwest 45 knots in the afternoon. Sea very high in the south, easing. Southwest swell rising to 8 metres. Poor visibility in showers.

stewart, thursday.jpg

Edited by Cisco
added bit

For the last 40 minutes (last two tracker positions) she's been moving to the ENE at about 1 kt.  Sounds like she's put out the drogue. 

On her current course drifting downwind with wind and waves, she hits land in about 140 miles.  Not a good place to be.  In 36 hours the wind turns light and favorable, but in 72 hours it gets bad again.

Also seems to have missed her typical blog update schedule.

Knockdown.

News from her facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/jeanne.socrates)

Link goes to her ham radio page (https://www.qrz.com/lookup/ve0js): 

IMPORTANT NOTICE RECEIVED
 May14, 2019
2300Z

This morning Jeanne Socrates aboard SV NEREIDA callsign 2BXJ7 
experienced a knock down near 46 57S 163 03E.
Jeanne missed her sked with Northland Radio at 142035 UTC. I checked the S-AIS
 and quickly determined something had happened. 
I was just about to call RCCNZ when I received a call from TAUPO MARITIME 
RADIO ZLM advising they had her on HF that that she had experienced a problem.
Jeanne is not injured and the boat is mostly ok. More information to follow.

regards

Peter Mott
NORTHLAND RADIO | ZMH292
https://northlandradio.nz/
+64 21 279 4995
-/-

-------------------

UPDATE: 2330Z FROM PETER MOTT

THE QUESTION WAS ASKED CAN JEANNE RECOVER FROM A KNOCK DOWN?
The vessel typically has the mast in the water for a short time 
and the weight of the keel brings it upright again. Sometimes the boat rolls
 over before returning to vertical.The boat is vertical again, and apart from a large
 mess inside, is mostly ok. There will be some damage, Jeanne will assess once she gets
 herself into dry warm clothing and has had bit to eat.Whether she can continue sailing
 or not is unknown,  Need to wait for wind to reduce, which is not likely for at
 least 24-48 hours.

--------
UPDATE 5-15-19
0030Z
FROM NORTHLAND RADIO

northland0021.jpg

Bummer....

She is now paying dearly all these hours with the drogue out. Time is playing against her, I hope that she manages to sort out the mess and lump out of there east of New Zealand.

Geez...she has worked so hard. I hope she can still pull around to get North. She’s a tough lady

This is from her blog:

#################

(Wed 7pm) ........at which point, I got very wet because we were knocked down by a wave crashing into and over the boat - violently.

Fortunately, I was completely unhurt , although soaking wet from head to feet. Couldn't figure that out at the time but in daylight, later, realised it was because the overhead dorade had been completely taken away by the water action, leaving quite a big hole above me, in the coach roof. The cabin was in wet chaos with a lot of papers, notebooks etc joining lots of tubes etc from the head shelves and locker - one locker door had come off completely and the inside contents thrown across to the galley. I couldn't move for wet stuff littering the floor

What a disaster...!

I was relieved to see the autopilot was still working fine, as were the instruments - except for the wind display - gone completely again - damn! But there was a weird vibration in the boat I couldn't understand... and not long afterwards, the autopilot began to have a problem keeping us on course - in fact, it simply could not and we were now heading NE instead of SE, at 3kt or less, instead of our previous 5-6kt or more.

By now it was getting light so I was able to go up to see what damage there was on deck. Staysail intact, as was all rigging, but one solar panel was missing (so solar power gone from that point on) and the wind generator vibrating madly, making the steel stern arch do the same...

Even worse, the two bags holding the JSD (series drogue) were missing - I soon realised we were, in fact, lyig to the drogue ih big seas an wind still - so not such bad thing except I wasn't sure it was all deployed properly. It had clearly gone out from between the arch port side supports and I worried it might take the arch with it.. I went aft and managed to get the line around the nearby cleat. I saw a line of cones in the water but no bridle in use - so at least some of it was out OK. The staysail needed to be furled in ... and the wheel centred. Seas and wind were impressively high.

I left the wind generator rotating, thinking it was giving power - but then realised that was not happening - so stopped it - and the awful vibrations stopped. Later, I saw that one of the blades was completely missing - vibrations explained...

Soon after that, the second solar panel came free in the strong wind and began swinging around loose as it tried to leave ship - but was held by two securing lines I'd rigged. It was threatening to damage the radar and other equipment, so I had to go aft and release the lines so it could break free - another gift to Neptune.

In between all this, I was trying to clear up the wet mess in the cabin while wondering if i would be able to continue on or have to pull in somewhere for repairs. I contacted Taupo Maritime Radio with a 'Pan Pan' call to inform them of my situation and we agreed a regular radio 'sched' to keep them updated with my status. I had a radio sched with Peter, ZL1PWM, so told him and asked him to keep a sched on 7150 for me later on to let radio friends know what had happened.

Power will now be a problem - radio takes a lot, as does the autopilot, and I'll be dependent on the small generator alone for battery charging from now on. I'll be checking my diesel stored on board to see how much is left and calculate usage likely for the next two or more months.. I'll probably have to hand steer quite a bit now, in order to conserve fuel and radio use will need to be a lot less - maybe just brief emails with very little voice - i'll have to see how that works out.

On the positive side, when she gets in the Northern hemisphere, it will be spring or summer. She's about 200Nm from being sheltered from New-Zealand, so may be she can get there through sheer determination. Then I imagine that her boat is fairly easy to balance under sail so may be she can get the main on the boom and make it home with the tiller lashed balancing the boat with the traveller and the furlers.

She doesn't sail as I've been taught to do but still rooting for her, I really hope she makes it to Canada non stop!

• Like 1

Yes, once she gets north of NZ then the conditions ought to moderate -- although that last thousand miles before Victoria can still be challenging.  Still, that's a long way between ports of refuge in a compromised boat.  With her power situation, she's going to be in big trouble if she can't rig that sheet-to-tiller steering or something similar.  No wind-gen, no solar, and probably not a lot of diesel fuel for the generator, and a hydraulic autopilot.  Not a good combination.

Interesting that her drogue self-deployed.  It's going to be a while before she can get that back aboard.  At least it's slowing her drift towards shore to about 1.5 kts.

19 minutes ago, Panoramix said:

On the positive side, when she gets in the Northern hemisphere, it will be spring or summer. She's about 200Nm from being sheltered from New-Zealand, so may be she can get there through sheer determination. Then I imagine that her boat is fairly easy to balance under sail so may be she can get the main on the boom and make it home with the tiller lashed balancing the boat with the traveller and the furlers.

She doesn't sail as I've been taught to do but still rooting for her, I really hope she makes it to Canada non stop!

I hope she makes it but your first paragraph is hopeful at best and just not true at worst.

It is now 24 hours since her knockdown..... comparing her last posted position ( 0500 NZ time?) and her present position on Marinetraffic.com she is drifting north.  There is a very small window between this system and the next... due on Saturday-ish.

She needs to get shot of that drogue as soon as it moderates a bit and head for Bluff. She does not want to end up with only the west coast under her lee. At least she still has mast and sails.

Deja vue all over again... same same 2010(?) west of the Horn.

Sheltered by NZ?? I'll give you the drum.... NZ gives precious little shelter..........

Days 223 Mon-Wed 13-15 May 2019 Excellent progress made in strong conditions - but then knocked down...
By Jeanne Socrates , on 15 May 2019 10:28
https://svnereida.com/blog/5107-days-223-mon-wed-13-15-may-2019-excellent-progress-made-in-strong-conditions-but-then-knocked-down

Wedesday 5:45am LT (Tues 2245 GMT) Running under small staysail in very rough conditions all through the night - winds around 40kt, often up to 47kt or more, and big seas at 7-8m, often surfing on a wave at around 12kt, as it overtakes us - for only a very short time, fortunately! Winds have backed to W now, from WNW overnight and are likely soon to be from WSW. Frequently hear a thump on the hull as a wave hits the boat.....

(Wed 7pm) ........at which point, I got very wet because we were knocked down by a wave crashing into and over the boat - violently.

Fortunately, I was completely unhurt , although soaking wet from head to feet. Couldn't figure that out at the time but in daylight, later, realised it was because the overhead dorade had been completely taken away by the water action, leaving quite a big hole above me, in the coach roof. The cabin was in wet chaos with a lot of papers, notebooks etc joining lots of tubes etc from the head shelves and locker - one locker door had come off completely and the inside contents thrown across to the galley. I couldn't move for wet stuff littering the floor

What a disaster...!

• 15/05/2019 19:36:40
  • Lat/Lng:    -46.460000, 163.837000
  • Speed:    1.9 knots
  • Heading:    35°

~111 nautical miles from nearest land, ENE.

https://www.windy.com/?-45.794,167.849,7,m:cnIakIi

svnereida_190515a.thumb.jpg.287e0acaf1222760ab9e08e9ed148257.jpg

svnereida_190515b.thumb.jpg.893e2b897a1071b17bfc5897c7b82728.jpg

svnereida_190515c.thumb.jpg.562921578db63bb576955eb0c00e104b.jpg

svnereida_190515d.thumb.jpg.9b1173beb7c45de10468573fe935bb4f.jpg

'

• 15/05/2019 19:36:40
  • Lat/Lng:    -46.460000, 163.837000
  • Heading:    35°

~111 nautical miles from nearest land, ENE.'

That is not a good line of advance, fortunately they are forecasting westerly with a bit of north in it for the next few days , she needs to take advantage of it.

I hope we don't see a repeat of 2010.

16 minutes ago, Cisco said:

I hope we don't see a repeat of 2010.

What happened in 2010? 

Separately, I’m somehow surprised her dorades weren’t sealed off - I’d have thought for the Southern Ocean that sealing them off would be “S.O.P.”  I.e., she mentions above that one of her dorade air scoops (or whatever they’re called) was swept off, leaving a big hole in the deck, which would really suck even if it wouldn’t necessarily sink the boat.  (For my Vetus brand ones, I simply screw off the scoop, place a thin 4” (?) stainless plate over the big hole, and reattach the scoop).

2010.... by memory... knock down west of the Horn... activated EPIRB.... resources - fishing boat and maybe a navy ship turned up to be told no longer required.

Complained about the fishing boat fouling a line or something.

Then proceeded via Canal Murray to Ushuaia rather than following directions to go to Williams.

Canal Murray  was a massive no no....  Canal Murray to Ushuaia ten times worse than that..

This is a very sensitive border even today... you can still see the artillery outside Williams, weapon pits above Pto Toro and I believe there are still minefields on the disputed islands east of Navarino. In the 70's the RGs decided that Canal Murray was in fact the Beagle and that everything to the east, including Cape Horn was theirs.... came very very close to a shooting war. All sorted by the Pope so the RGs invaded the Falklands as a sort of second best.

Anyway, ever since the 70's no foreign flag yachts have been allowed through Canal Murray.. nor any Chilean flag yachts with RG crew.

So endeth today's history lesson....

OK a bit off topic...

Captain and crew... Pto Williams.... gun still pointing at naval headquarters, Ushuaia...

P1020496.JPG (1).jpg

• Like 2

Here's more from her ham radio page (https://www.qrz.com/lookup/ve0js)

MAY 16, 2019
0200Z
SAT PHONE CONVERSATION WITH WB2REM

Jim, WB2REM spoke with Jeanne for 45 minutes via Sat Phone. Jeanne seems to be in good spirits despite what she has gone through. She would first like to thank everyone for their thoughts and prayers. She is aware that everyone is concerned about her welfare. Until she gets her electrical charging problems fixed, she will not be using her radio. The electrical power is being supplied by her generator right now which is used mainly for the autopilot and water desalinization. The meters on the desalinization tanks seems to be broken and she is currently assessing the amount of water in each tank. She has water stored in other places as well. WB2REM suggested that Jeaane could check into the 7163 Net through his cellpatch which she has agreed to do once she has gone around the cape. Her current plan to is to pull in the droog tomorrow and slowly head north to allow storms near the cape to pass by. Then on Tuesday or so she will make her way around the cape and go along the east coast of New Zealand. She wants to observe the boats functioning and fuel consumption. She has calculated that she has 240 liters of fuel left on the boat and anticipates using 3 liters a fuel a day to run the auto pilot and at the same time make water and charge her sat phone. She commented that she probably has 60 or at most 90 days left to go to reach Victoria and at 3 liters a day, she would have enough fuel to run the generator. However, as a precaution after going around the cape she will hug the east coast of New Zealand to see how things goes and if their are unforseen problems she will be close to shore to pull in. Otherwise, She will either go east or northeast from there on route to her final destination.

She said the structure of the boat seems intact. The vent holes above the cabin took a beating when the boat knocked down. She had a lot of water come in that way. She plans to use some plastic and gorilla tape to fix them. She lost her solar panels and one of the wind turbines blades was broken when it hit the water on the knock down. As far as the knock down, Jeanne, was pushed backwards while sitting on the bunk which she said was fortunate. The knock down was brief but violent making a loud crash and subsequent water coming in through the torn off vents. Her food was secured and not effected. She is currently in dry clothes and was able to get some sleep. She said that you can get her coordinates if needed through marinetraffic.com .  Please pass along additional updates to wb2rem@verizon.net when received so the qrz page can be updated.

However, as a precaution after going around the cape she will hug the east coast of New Zealand to see how things goes and if their are unforseen problems she will be close to shore to pull in.

It is reassuring to see that Jeanne does not have 'summit fever' and recognizes that with the number of critical items that have failed she is close to the point where she needs to stop for a bit of a refit. 

What would be the best place in NZ for such a refit. 

The 'best' place to refit would be Whangarei or Auckland but seeing she only needs a new bit for her Hydrovane, two new solar panels, a blade for her wind gen and to patch up a dorade Bluff would serve well enough.( she is down to relying on her gen set and autopilot.... hand steering 6000 miles would be 'interesting'.  Fishing boats and a very resourceful people. Next stop north of there probably Dunedin or Christchurch/Lyttleton.... they have a Burnsco :)

While there someone could send her one of these... it would speed up sail repairs no end... https://www.speedystitcher.com/#the-basics

'Issued by MetService at: 4:42am Friday 17 May 2019
Valid to: Midnight Friday 17 May 2019

Puysegur Forecast

*** GALE WARNING IN FORCE ***
Southwest 20 knots, gradually becoming northwest 15 knots but 30 knots south of West Cape this morning.Northwest rising to 25 knots but 40 knots in the south this evening.Sea becoming very rough in the south. Southwest swell 5 metres,easing.Northwest swell 2 metres developing. Fair visibility in showers from this afternoon.

Three Day Outlook

Becoming Saturday morning westerly 30 knots, rising Saturday afternoon southwest 40 knots in the south.Easing Sunday for a time southwest 25 knots everywhere. Easing Monday southwest 20 knots 30 knots in the east. Very rough sea at times. Heavy southwest swell.

Issued by MetService at: 4:42am Friday 17 May 2019
Valid to: Midnight Friday 17 May 2019

Foveaux Forecast

Southwest 30 knots, easing to 20 knots early this morning. Turning northwest 15 knots by midday, and rising to 25 knots this afternoon. Northwest rising to 35 knots this evening. Sea becoming very rough. Southwest swell 5 metres offshore,easing. Poor visibility in showers, clearing this morning and returning this afternoon.

Three Day Outlook

Northwest 25 knots. Rising Saturday evening westerly 35 knots with very rough sea. Easing Monday southwest 25 knots. Heavy southwest swell offshore, spreading throughout on Saturday.

While there someone could send her one of these... it would speed up sail repairs no end... https://www.speedystitcher.com/#the-basics

Her mainsail is 10+ years old and has done at least 3 circumnavigations. It is worn out the poor thing. 

I believe she is short of funds. However she does not whine unlike some others but just gets on with what she has.

If she does put in somewhere I for one would be chipping in towards a new main. 

New storm warning issued 2 hours ago.... she is not in a good place..

Issued by MetService at: 4:42pm Friday 17 May 2019
Valid to: Midnight Saturday 18 May 2019

Puysegur Forecast

*** STORM WARNING IN FORCE ***
South of West Cape: Northwest 35 knots,rising to 45 knots this evening, then changing southwest 50 knots Saturday evening. In the north: Northwest rising to 25 knots late this afternoon, then changing southwest 35 knots Saturday evening.Sea becoming high in the south.Southwest swell rising to 5 metres.Northwest swell 1 metre developing. Poor visibility in a few showers,some heavy during Saturday.

Three Day Outlook

Easing early Sunday morning southwest 35 knots everywhere, later Sunday morning southwest 25 knots, and Monday westerly 15 knots. Becoming Tuesday northerly 25 knots. High sea in the south easing. Heavy southwest swell easing Tuesday.

Her tracker has been offline for about 24 hours now, but you can still see her  position on marinetraffic.com  I just re-signed up for the monthly single-vessel satellite AIS service so I can get the details.  Otherwise, she's an unmarked boat with no position or speed data.  Here's a screenshot taken about 0700Z May 17:

1251361368_track5-17-2019-0646Z.thumb.jpg.b25cb9ddc84f515b505de5d248fd4103.jpg

She's going over 4 kts now, so perhaps she managed to recover the drogue?  Or ditch it?

6 hours ago, valis said:

Her tracker has been offline for about 24 hours now, but you can still see her  position on marinetraffic.com  I just re-signed up for the monthly single-vessel satellite AIS service so I can get the details.  Otherwise, she's an unmarked boat with no position or speed data.  Here's a screenshot taken about 0700Z May 17:

1251361368_track5-17-2019-0646Z.thumb.jpg.b25cb9ddc84f515b505de5d248fd4103.jpg

She's going over 4 kts now, so perhaps she managed to recover the drogue?  Or ditch it?

Thanks.  Do you mind updating her position for us periodically?  Lat/Lon would be nice?

Obviously, the further she goes north on the west side of NZ, the harder it will be getting around the south end of it, against the dominant SW wind direction.  Going to windward hasn't been her strong point, especially without a mainsail (now four months since January 16-17, 2019!?).  I see a brief northerly Monday afternoon and Tuesday morning that could carry her around, if she's ready and hasn't lost too much ground going up the west side.

https://www.windy.com/?2019-05-21-00,-45.395,168.777,7,m:cqhakIP

svnereida_190517a.thumb.jpg.4e1a35d574f1787f2bc0241ae76ae189.jpg

1 hour ago, ProaSailor said:

Thanks.  Do you mind updating her position for us periodically?  Lat/Lon would be nice?

Of course.  Here's her latest position, at 1541Z:  -45.19013(S), 164.6387(E)

Her one-hour previous position shows her moving at 4.0 kts, course 198 deg true

727841448_track5-17-2019-1541Z.jpg.799559877ec97821b48cf98dfa3dd848.jpg

Uh... isn't she going in the wrong direction?  I realize she has limited options at the moment.

She is planning to wait out the crappy conditions (and no doubt assess her situation), then head south around the cape probably on Monday or Tuesday once the wind turns favorable.  She then plans (at last report) to sail along the east coast of NZ so she can still head for port if she decides she can't continue across the Pacific towards home.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ProaSailor said:

It's possible to read NERIDA's current posit directly from AIS Marine Traffic: Locate cursor in middle of "pleasure boat" icon and the lat/lon appears in upper right of screen.  Her posit at 9:19 a.m. PDT is 45-11S x 164-39 E, showing a northerly course up the SW corner of NZ,  lee shore 100 miles to leeward with several entrances to fjords if she gets blown that way.  Which is seeming more likely.

10 hours ago, sleddog said:

It's possible to read NERIDA's current posit directly from AIS Marine Traffic

Position yes, but not time of fix (without the $at-AIS service).  Lately her Class-B signal has been picked up fairly often, and I seldom see one more than a few tens of minutes old.  But earlier on in her voyage I was monitoring her Sat-AIS position reports and occasionally days would go by between reports.  Perhaps since then they have upgraded the Sat-AIS performance?

So I wouldn't necessarily trust her position shown on Marinetraffic to be up-to-date.

Here's her daily position and status from her report via Winlink seen here: http://mmsn-shiptrak.herokuapp.com/?callsign=kc2iov&filter=30)

Fri May 17 2019 12:00:00 GMT-0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)44° 58' 25" S / 164° 44' 26" E90ml off SW NZ coast - Breaksea Sound/Mt Richards 75ml DMG

Here are hourly Marinetraffic.com AIS reports over the previous five hours:

Timestamp Source Speed Course Latitude Longitude
2019-05-18 03:25:50 Sat-AIS 4.8 32 -44.38338 164.8973
2019-05-18 02:27:24 Sat-AIS 3.1 358 -44.45064 164.8812
2019-05-18 01:27:57 Sat-AIS 5.6 29 -44.51793 164.8676
2019-05-18 00:27:30 Sat-AIS 4.2 341 -44.59009 164.8577
2019-05-17 23:33:21 Sat-AIS 3.6 24 -44.66228 164.8478
2019-05-17 22:25:05 Sat-AIS 4 349 -44.74972 164.8093

There were coming in every five minutes or so, and I chose a few that were roughly an hour apart.

In the hourly reports above, you should probably mostly ignore the listed course and speed.  The positions and times should be OK though.

Hey, Jeanne has just posted a blog update: https://svnereida.com/blog

Marinetraffic gives an 'age' of the fix.... all a bit of approximate but good enough in a big ocean.

She is very upbeat but the fact remains that she is now over 200 miles downwind from her last 'great cape' - and heading away from it at 4 knots with storm warnings current for SW 50 knots.

I see Cook Strait in the tea leaves...

3 hours ago, olaf hart said:

Does she have to pass all the capes for the circumnavigation to count as RTW?

It may be a personal goal as is “circumnavigation South of the 5 great capes.”  I would not see her as less of a seaman with a cut through Cook Strait and a stop in Wellington to address some needed maintenance and spares would be something I would call both appropriate and seamanlike. 

11 hours ago, valis said:

Hey, Jeanne has just posted a blog update: https://svnereida.com/blog

Some real knockdown damage issues to attend to, for sure.  Amazing reading what happened from the impact.  (But she reports her books stayed put, “At least all books stayed put - I'd added a higher, removable restraint bar after a knockdown 100 mls off Cape Horn in 2011. A simple reminder to me to fully secure my own book-retaining rails, which I never fully figured out how to do!  My books would stay in shelves unless boat went past 90*...)

Among other damage, “As I looked out of the windscreen over the companionway, I spotted some more damage - unbelievably, the forward port side window had been displaced and pushed inward and upward by the force of the water impact, the steel of the surround being twisted slightly at the same time.”

7 hours ago, olaf hart said:

Does she have to pass all the capes for the circumnavigation to count as RTW?

No but her goal was to be the oldest person to go around singlehanded, alone south of the 5 capes.

She already has the oldest woman record for it.

4 hours ago, ProaSailor said:

Is this close?  ~142 nm from land,  S43d 26m,  E164d 35m

svnereida_190518a.jpg.096b561deda9ecd0afb1319c80052108.jpg

Heading NW if possible is certainly her best course for now, away from land and ready for the wind direction to change Monday afternoon.

https://www.windy.com/-Wind-gusts-gust?gust,-45.333,167.201,7,m:csIakJr

Yes is plenty close enough  with a NW gale in the offing. ( Puysegur is a bit to the south of her now but it's where she would need to go.

'Issued by MetService at: 4:42am Sunday 19 May 2019
Valid to: Midnight Sunday 19 May 2019

Puysegur Forecast

South of West Cape: Southwest 45 knots,easing to 35 knots this morning.In the north: Southwest 35 knots,easing to 25 knots this morning. High sea in the south, easing.Southwest swell rising to 7 metres for a time. Fair visibility in showers.

Three Day Outlook

Becoming early Monday morning westerly 25 knots everywhere. Becoming Tuesday afternoon northwest 35 knots, easing Wednesday westerly 25 knots. Sea very rough at times. Heavy southwest swell easing Tuesday. Moderate northwest swell developing Tuesday,easing Wednesday.

You can animate this. Note that they only forecast 3 days out.

Can she sail to windward in 45 knots and a heavy swell? 

https://www.metservice.com/maps-radar/maps/tasman-sea-nz 

I can only speculate...

Position Received: 11 minutes ago (2019-05-19 01:07 (UTC))
Vessel's Local Time: 2019-05-19 12:07 (UTC +11)
Area: WCCAN - West Coast Canada
Latitude / Longitude: -43.41533° / 164.7533°
Speed/Course: 3.2kn / 131°
AIS Source: SatelliteNearby Vessels 
Wind: 23  knots
Wind direction: SW (219o)
Temperature: 12oC

1591271832_track5-19-2019-0115Z.thumb.jpg.fbfc8892c208fe45ee581715a673c413.jpg

The wind is from the SW, so she's not just being blown downwind. And I don't think this is an AIS glitch, because I'm seeing multiple sat-AIS updates and they show her course change starting about 5-1/2 hours ago.

Not yet,  it she seems to be making way. The wind is going to shift to the northwest by Monday and north by Tuesday so she should be able to round.

Yes, it does look like she's setting up for the final cape.  Here's the latest (average ECMWF) wind, and  her 5/19/19 1523Z position, showing a line from her 24-hour previous position. 

1268988895_track5-19-2019-1529Z.thumb.jpg.b6cbfe02dda3a0fc5f046802e5d53aea.jpg

Doesn't look really prudent to me. Presumably she is exhausted and hasn't got her mainsail sorted out, so she probably can't sail very well upwind and might find herself too close. IMHO the responsible thing would be to stay well above the layline, weather forecasting isn't an exact science and that wind shift could come in late or worse it could shift to 270.

Her tracker is working again?  She's ~85 nm. from shore.  Go Jeanne!

• 19/05/2019 16:47:13
  • Lat/Lng:-44.263700, 165.348000
  • Speed:3.9 knots
  • Heading:162°

svnereida_190519a.thumb.jpg.a9923e89b0c4c6ac3af19d835b0c082e.jpg

blog: Day 227 Fri-Sat 17-18 May 2019 Heading N, to avoid strong weather to the S, bef

Saturday: Hard on the wind, heading N, with not a lot achieved down below because of the 4-5m seas throwing us around all day long. Wind has been W, backing to SW over the day, and mostly around 25kt with frequent gusts to 30kt or more. Earlier squalls occurred during heavy rainfall but there has been no rain since sunset when breaks in the cloud first appeared.

[...]

Sunday 7am NZT (=1900GMT Saturdy) Turned around to try for Stewart Island again - weather window looking good for Wednesday rounding but present wind direction not too good to make it around Puysiger Point, two days away.. Wind is forecast to veer later to the SW-W which will make possible the change of course needed. If I clearly can't make it safely, will have to abort the SW Cape and head N from here instead. Present wind is 26kt from SSW.

https://www.windy.com/?-45.601,167.651,8,m:crqakKJ

svnereida_190519b.thumb.jpg.ac5075578f28c64f2546192c8e19b5d2.jpg

P.S.  Her tracker history:

1. 19/05/2019 16:47:13
  2. 19/05/2019 16:16:57
  3. 19/05/2019 14:46:17
  4. 19/05/2019 14:16:02
  5. 19/05/2019 13:15:35
  6. 19/05/2019 12:45:20
  7. 19/05/2019 12:15:02
  8. 19/05/2019 11:44:46
  9. 19/05/2019 11:14:29
  10. 19/05/2019 10:44:06
  11. 19/05/2019 10:13:44
  12. 19/05/2019 09:43:27
  13. 19/05/2019 09:13:10
  14. 19/05/2019 08:42:55
  15. 19/05/2019 07:13:21
  16. 19/05/2019 07:09:22
  17. 19/05/2019 05:37:24
  18. 19/05/2019 05:18:53
  19. 19/05/2019 04:50:10
  20. 19/05/2019 03:50:26
  21. 19/05/2019 03:38:08
  22. 19/05/2019 03:26:10

She will probably pull this off.... however .... a 35k NWly with a very rough sea combined with a heavy southwest swell does not sound real flash to me.... esp with an ironbound coast under my lee...

Also factor in the edge of the continental shelf and a few 'interesting seamounts'..

Its not just about the wind......

https://www.metservice.com/marine-surf/coastal/puysegur

Issued by MetService at: 6:13am Monday 20 May 2019
Valid to: Midnight Monday 20 May 2019

Puysegur Forecast

Southwest 15 knots but westerly 25 knots south of West Cape.Rough sea in the south. Southwest swell 6 metres easing. Fair visibility in showers, easing this morning.

Three Day Outlook

Westerly 20 knots, rising Tuesday evening northwest 35 knots with very rough sea, easing Wednesday morning westerly 20 knots. Heavy southwest swell easing Tuesday. Moderate northwest swell developing Tuesday, easing Wednesday.

puysegur.jpg

Her blog is back up.... note that this is dated 24 hours ago... it is currently  Monday 1014 local time in NZ...

an extract... two notable points... still no mainsail... does she have a second trysail track?

also .. an extract from the extract ... 'Wind is forecast to veer later to the SW-W which would enable the change of course needed. If I clearly can't round it safely, I'll have to abort the SW Cape and head N instead'

Sunday 7am NZT Turned around to try for Stewart Island again, planning to arrive well after the strong weather that's presently in the area S of here until Tuesday. Weather window looking good for Wednesday rounding, or later, but present wind direction is not too good to make it around Puysegur Point, near Cape Providence, two days away.

Wind is forecast to veer later to the SW-W which would enable the change of course needed. If I clearly can't round it safely, I'll have to abort the SW Cape and head N instead. That would soon end up causing a problem since there's a big High developing in the Tasman Sea to the N - pressure here has risen noticeably since midnight, being 1018hPa now.

Sunday midday: Hard on a wind from the SSW, trying to find a happy medium between making a good course and managing a reasonable speed - difficult not to kill our speed completely with being so close-hauled, so often not making a good speed. Don't want us to end up too far E or we'll never round Cape Providence and Puysegur Pt.

Need the mainsail available, to give better speed and upwind pointing, but that still requires some calm weather to insert the remaining sail slides into the mast track. Not quite enough slides are in place yet even to get a triple-reefed sail hoisted. The second batten end's slide posed a big problem and needs all sail ties and reefs released in order to get it into place - definitely not a job to be done in windy conditions.

19 minutes ago, Mr. Ed said:

She doesn't appear to be a quitter, does she? 

She is a remarkable lady.

We had dinner with her at the RYCT on her previous trip, invited her to raid the spares collection on our boat, there are probably a couple of bits still onboard.

So we have a small stake in her success....

• Like 1

~55 miles from shore:

• 20/05/2019 11:37:35
  • Address:    Southland, New Zealand
  • Lat/Lng:    -44.882900, 165.639000
  • Heading:    182°

svnereida_190520a.thumb.jpg.e943029ced49d2e0bd28197baa53c331.jpg

https://www.windy.com/?-45.854,167.272,8,m:cqhakLe

Now: (6:00 am Monday morning, Pacific time)

svnereida_190520b.thumb.jpg.7222b22735b9a7378dca84f3e812cd46.jpg

6:00 pm Monday evening, Pacific time

svnereida_190520c.thumb.jpg.b281d1a4552e6ef156e5233341f68fe5.jpg

6:00 am Tuesday morning, Pacific time

svnereida_190520d.thumb.jpg.7670b27a6bdcef026fd961afd90e01f8.jpg

Noon Tuesday, Pacific time

svnereida_190520e.thumb.jpg.b9bf6f218eba1b2bdb61c86ac6cfdcfa.jpg

Definitely not a quitter! She is really tough. She invited me for coffee on her boat several years ago after one of her failed attempts when she was in a slip in Simonstown in False Bay in South Africa. A very solid boat and well organized. I'm confident she will get around this time, but it will be a long haul back to Victoria.

She's laying the point.  Wind goes light, then turns good for a while.  Snapshot 5/20/19 1915Z

1033384707_track5-20-2019-1913Z.thumb.jpg.e796a89f9bf2f11e2beb7fa44325423c.jpg

Day 229 Sun-Mon 19-20 May 2019 Slow progress, keeping well off the rugged SW coast of S. Island, N.Z.

Looking at what had happened, it occurred to me that it was a good thing there is a hard top over the companionway now. It seems to me that a cloth awning held in place with the usual tubular supports would have been badly damaged by the water impact that had clearly occurred. In a previous knockdown, 100ml W of Cape Horn on 5 January 2011, the awning had been totally lost - supports and cloth - everything was taken away by the impact, leaving no protection whatsoever over the companionway.

[...]

5:30am Dark still - just before dawn. Wind has been slowly dying - mainly now only 8kt, but has just gusted to 18kt for a short timewhich makes it easier to maintain our S course - difficult when wind too light.
Coast is just over 50 ml away - Cape Providence (just N of Puysegur Pt - marked on photo of chart).

• 20/05/2019 22:15:17
  • Lat/Lng:    -45.241100, 165.622000
  • Heading:    163°

~45 nm. from land at 1740 Pacific time (1340 NZ time, Tuesday afternoon), light wind (NW 8 knots) ending in the next ~3 hours with 13 knots at 2100 Pacific time (5:00 pm NZ) and 16 knots by midnight here, which is 8:00 pm NZ time.  Then up to 22 knots briefly from the north.  Jeanne will be a busy all night.

https://www.windy.com/?-45.888,168.008,8,m:cpKakLc

svnereida_190520f.thumb.jpg.55db83f3f169494985d55d1debffb890.jpg

0200 Pacific time. 2200 NZ, ~30 nm. from shore.

• 21/05/2019 07:28:23
  • Lat/Lng:    -45.764800, 165.714000
  • Speed:    3.9 knots
  • Heading:    186°

https://www.windy.com/?-46.109,167.855,8,m:coTakLl

Wind N 21 knots, gusting to 28 knots, Waves SW 13 feet.  Wind peaks in two hours at N 23 knots, then shifts to NW in ~8 hours (1000 Pacific, 0600 NZ).

svnereida_190521a.thumb.jpg.6f86979da35f26629b7037fd2b7a61cb.jpg

svnereida_190521b.thumb.jpg.52675d9d2a7f04b8c3cb63cb88cb61b0.jpg

Not as bad as last time but she still has at least 2 days to go before she is clear of Stewart Island...

That cross swell is what I would be worried about.... that can stuff up an otherwise sunny afternoon even when there is no or little wind... 

Same same off NZ, off Patagonia, and in the middle of the South Pacific down by Point Nemo,   don't ask how I know this...

Wishing her well and hoping for the best...

Issued by MetService at: 4:42pm Tuesday 21 May 2019
Valid to: Midnight Wednesday 22 May 2019

Puysegur Forecast

Northwest 15 knots but 25 knots south of West Cape, rising to 25 knots but 35 knots in the south for a time this evening and early Wednesday morning. Sea becoming very rough in the south for a time. Southwest swell 4 metres easing. Northwest swell 2 metres developing for a time. Poor visibility in a period of rain Wednesday morning.

Three Day Outlook

Becoming Thursday morning northwest 20 knots everywhere, rising Saturday 35 knots with very rough sea. Heavy southwest swell, easing today. Heavy northwest swell developing for a time Saturday.

She is ~60 nm. north of the southern tip of Stewart Island.

• 21/05/2019 13:01:03
  • Lat/Lng:    -46.198800, 165.645000
  • Speed:    5.8 knots
  • Heading:    183°

svnereida_190521d.thumb.jpg.7436a5e4ded833118fc5c1bdb706990f.jpgSatellite view reveals a change in the bottom as she rounds the southern end of NZ, going from ~1600 feet to ~600 feet or less near the coast.  In her blog, she mentioned the "North Trap" and "South Trap" rocks to be avoided, ~15 and ~20 nm. respectively south of Stewart Island.  Wind will shift from N to NW to West in the next few hours.svnereida_190521c.thumb.jpg.f526e6ab19e6d882ea05dbf84bded65b.jpg

Chart: https://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=en#boating/unitSettings@6&key=pet}Gm~___%40

I love maps. More satellite views:

https://www.google.com/maps/@-33.4170518,163.7649672,3137839m/data=!3m1!1e3

svnereida_190521e.thumb.jpg.e9dcdd22bcad314b1f422c2a772ae708.jpg

Below, her great circle route home, 6,610 nm. plus ~350 nm. to get around South Cape, New Zealand, or ~7,000 nm. total (minimum!):

https://www.google.com/maps/@-30.3730566,-172.1177997,3892570m/data=!3m1!1e3

svnereida_190521f.thumb.jpg.746c4cd72f0daebc9cc95f4a1e0d8e68.jpg

Tracker:

• 21/05/2019 15:01:51
  • Lat/Lng:    -46.360400, 165.622000
  • Speed:    3.9 knots
  • Heading:    184°

svnereida_190521g.thumb.jpg.0d4af6f61c2c2f5549233cc5a790c648.jpg

Dawn in NZ.  Wind W 20 knots, gusting to 32 knots, waves W 12 feet @ 10 sec.: https://www.windy.com/?-46.444,167.607,8,m:cnSakLc

svnereida_190521h.thumb.jpg.991e720404885cc97ac1e62cbcf30218.jpg

P.S.  After 230 days at sea, rounding this cape, the 5th and last southernmost cape in her journey, is a Big Fucking Deal!  BRAVO Jeanne!!

• Like 1

Not to jinx, but looks like she's going to make it!

She is still ~100 nm. away from South Cape, New Zealand, so it could take most of another day or more to get around it...  Boat speed would help here.  (100 miles between dawn and sunset, 12 hours in daylight, would be "only" 8.3 knots...)