Morgan Crowe

Best sail combination for J100

I sail a J100 in Santa Barbara - usually light air. I would like advice on the best sail combination for sailing to PHRF handicap. Asymmetrical or Symmetrical kite, what size jib?

Any input would be much appreciated.

Morgan C.

Do you have a bowsprit? Or are you an early boat without one? 

In light air the 145 Jib is a killer. I found the 155 to get over powered to quick and was not worth the rating hit. Some J100's near me have the big Asymmetrical spin and then go with the small 107% jib. They are very fast down wind but struggle with the small jib in anything less than 10 knots of wind. 

I sail with OD Jib and 106sqm kit off sprit. Up wind in light is tuff under 8knts

Gotta have a bigger jib than the 100% for light air PHRF. As far as the kite goes, if you have a sprit...use it. Otherwise I would go with a traditional kite but the aspect ratio starts to get whacky with a non-penalty J-length pole. 

Thank you all for your advice and comments from your experience. I have been sailing the boat with an asymmetrical kite from a deck mounted sprit and a 140% Jib. I have got some inputs, including from North, to the effect that, in our Santa Barbara conditions, the boat would perform best to handicap with a symmetrical kite and (up to) a 155% jib. I will tease this out a little further. Further comments would be much appreciated including inputs on pole length.

M.

On 10/7/2018 at 3:55 AM, Morgan Crowe said:

Thank you all for your advice and comments from your experience. I have been sailing the boat with an asymmetrical kite from a deck mounted sprit and a 140% Jib. I have got some inputs, including from North, to the effect that, in our Santa Barbara conditions, the boat would perform best to handicap with a symmetrical kite and (up to) a 155% jib. I will tease this out a little further. Further comments would be much appreciated including inputs on pole length.

M.

M, do you mind PM-ing me some pictures of your deck mounted set up? We currently are operating on the bow-tacked OD set up. Been toying with sprit/pole ideas the over the summer. 

BBAAADED-0E6D-41CD-A136-A816693A6C19.jpeg.857c95113542c45affd761872cd1e523.jpegPowder coated Selden sprit giving 42 inches extension beyond standard bow fitting. To stay close to center line and avoid Hoyt boom pedestal, it was necessary to go through starboard leg of bow pulpit.

5A482966-82BA-42A6-AA43-6D26B5AD3624.jpeg

Id prob go symmetrical before that option . I went with a factory refit to sprit in the hull, not cheap but the sprit is longer and not on deck.

Agree that the od jib is to small.  Moved to a 140 this year and the boat is competitive upwind.  We have the factory sprit.  Downsized to a 100m kite to get some rating help and overall seems a pretty good balance.  

What's your rating?  I sail OD jib and 106sqm kite on sprit. I have 85 rating. I get 6 sec for dacron jib or rating would be 79. I can't get credit for smaller spin it is based on spl the J plus length of sprit. If I add bigger head sails I take rating hit and would be back to 79 rating. 

I was at a 78 with 120 kite.  Downsized to 100 spinnaker and shortened sprit and then grew to 140 jib from old and ended up with an 84.  Basically we now are using the same rating as a j105.

On 10/9/2018 at 11:47 AM, Morgan Crowe said:

Powder coated Selden sprit giving 42 inches extension beyond standard bow fitting. To stay close to center line and avoid Hoyt boom pedestal, it was necessary to go through starboard leg of bow pulpit.

"through" the bowsprit.  Very clever solution.  Love it!

Having taken advice from North, Jboats and local Santa Barbara sources, decided on the following setup with typical local conditions in mind:-

155% jib

Selden 3 meter deck mounted bowsprit 

1194sqft asymmetric kite 

Don’t yet know what the final PHRF numbers will be.

Morhan Crowe