Sign in to follow this  
echo

Bikes, Deer, Car.

Friend of mine actually hit a deer while biking. He was going down a steep hill doing about 35 mph and the deer just ran in front of him. The deer was ok but he broke a few ribs and had some really bad road rash. Not a pretty sight.

I wonder how many generations of deer it takes before evolution kicks in and makes them smart around vehicles.Think about it: if deer that can't cross a road successfully die more often than smart (or wary) deer, then sooner or later only crossing-capable deer are left in the gene pool and the problem goes away.

Some biology student needs to measure the number of deer-strikes per driven mile - corrected for deer population density - and see if it changes over the years.  Draw the x axis intercept and figure out the date when we can drive at the limit in deer territory without icing out bambi.

42 minutes ago, Rum Runner said:

The deer was ok but he broke a few ribs and had some really bad road rash. Not a pretty sight.

How was your friend?

12 minutes ago, Wet Spreaders said:

I wonder how many generations of deer it takes before evolution kicks in and makes them smart around vehicles.Think about it: if deer that can't cross a road successfully die more often than smart (or wary) deer, then sooner or later only crossing-capable deer are left in the gene pool and the problem goes away.

Some biology student needs to measure the number of deer-strikes per driven mile - corrected for deer population density - and see if it changes over the years.  Draw the x axis intercept and figure out the date when we can drive at the limit in deer territory without icing out bambi.

think that its more of a case that deer have had thousands of years to learn "Stay with the herd. It's safer." Cars have been a threat for only about 100 years.  I think we still have a long time to go before the new experience trumps the old.  

As to icing Bambi? I have no problem with that.  They are long legged rats with a goof press agent.    

52 minutes ago, Rum Runner said:

Friend of mine actually hit a deer while biking. He was going down a steep hill doing about 35 mph and the deer just ran in front of him. The deer was ok but he broke a few ribs and had some really bad road rash. Not a pretty sight.

Local guy here hit a deer under the same circumstances. The deer survived, him not so lucky.

3 minutes ago, Innocent Bystander said:
16 minutes ago, Wet Spreaders said:

think that its more of a case that deer have had thousands of years to learn "Stay with the herd. It's safer." Cars have been a threat for only about 100 years.  I think we still have a long time to go before the new experience trumps the old.  

As to icing Bambi? I have no problem with that.  They are long legged rats with a goof press agent.  

I rarely see deer on my property - until hunting season (I post heavily)

the hunters chase the deer onto it.  onto the roads around it as well

8 minutes ago, hermetic said:

I have about 1/2 dozen resident deer at my house.  Most of the year, they will stop grazing as you drive down the driveway but not bother to go into the woods unless you stop and exit the car.  Not unusual to seem them grazing less than 20 feet outside of the living room windows. During hunting season, they generally stay in the woods.  

33 minutes ago, hermetic said:

the deer in east texas know which properties are hunted and which aren't and move around accordingly..

The deer at our place are really bold. If they get through the fence or someone leaves the gate open, they savage everything they can get their teeth on including my wife's roses which are trellised up the wall of the house. This year, one moment of carelessness led to the complete loss of our apple harvest, death of a small orange and a small lemon tree, loss of our blackberrys and raspberry harvest and a dent in the fence when the dog finally got his shit together and cornered one of the small herd - which decided through the fence was a better option than through the dog.

The dog is particularly useless - he barks at aircraft, and chases squirrels, but lets deer, pigs, strange people and gophers go completely unmolested. I'm sure that he would excuse the lapse as entirely reasonable (well, did you want that 737 to land on the back deck? It fucked right off when I barked because I'm fierce and frightening). He is too tired from keeping SouthWest out of the veggies to bark at raccoons robbing our apricots.

2 hours ago, Innocent Bystander said:

I have about 1/2 dozen resident deer at my house.  Most of the year, they will stop grazing as you drive down the driveway but not bother to go into the woods unless you stop and exit the car.  Not unusual to seem them grazing less than 20 feet outside of the living room windows. During hunting season, they generally stay in the woods.  

Do the deer in Maryland carry Lyme ticks?

1 minute ago, Innocent Bystander said:
41 minutes ago, Nettles said:

Do the deer in Maryland carry Lyme ticks?

Yes.  

In waht?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Innocent Bystander said:
16 hours ago, hermetic said:

I have black bears that act like that.  they love the lake and the berries.

they're not fond of the rubber bullets

3 hours ago, Mike in Seattle said:

Here  is the obvious and simplest solution.

I find it hard to believe but apparently that is real.

How do people like that get through the day?

I wonder how she does around school crossongs?

I had a hard time with believing it too.

6 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

How do people like that get through the day?

I wonder how she does around school crossings

, makes one wonder if Darwin was wrong.

Not wrong, just slow moving.

12 hours ago, Mike in Seattle said:

Looks like a good spot for setting up in a camp chair, any power lines nearby? 

This is still my favourite of that sort of thing.

One of these spawned two fawns this year. Argh.

tFOEgDy.jpg

21 hours ago, Mike in Seattle said:

OH

MY

FUCKING

GAWD

!

:blink:

8 hours ago, mad said:

It has to be a camp chair in the bed of a pickemup truck to count....

56 minutes ago, Shootist Jeff said:

Just knew someone would be twitching to correct me...

On 10/5/2018 at 4:37 PM, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

the deer in east texas know which properties are hunted and which aren't and move around accordingly..

Do the deer observe the "Deer Crossing" signs?

And do hunters use the signs as ambush points?

Some big fucking buck came by awhile ago to scrape his rack, on a tree that I just pulled the fence off of, before I put a little wire around the trunk.

He raped that tree which i planted and have been raising for 6 years.

I do my best to keep the marauding bastards at bay by hitting them in the ass with a bludgeon tip from my bow.

15 hours ago, mad said:

Sheesh, Mad, ya  don't NEED power lines when there's a sign telling them where to cross.

6 hours ago, Shootist Jeff said:

Sadly, the state of Washington doesn't allow loaded long arms  in the vehicle, 

, so I make do by setting the Assault Lawn Chair just behind the pickemup truck.

:ph34r: think I'm gonna steal one of those road signs and put it at one of my favorite sittin' spots ,,

,, there's a really bigass Ilk up there,  and I don't think he can read too well,

, but when he sees the picture deer "crossing here"  ,,,,

10 hours ago, Ishmael said:

One of these spawned two fawns this year. Argh.

tFOEgDy.jpg

I'd much rather have them than roses or fruit trees.

I'm pretty conflicted when it comes to deer.  On the one hand, I narrowly avoided what would probably have been a fatal car accident due to a deer on the interstate.  It was only luck that saved us and consequently I don't drive rural interstates at night anymore.  Additionally, our original Lab died from complications from undiagnosed Lyme disease.  He was not going to live forever, but still.

I share some land with my sisters in Vermont which is loaded with deer, and we (or really I, over my sisters' objections) let the locals hunt it, in an effort to keep the population in check.  I stopped hunting years ago.

But then there are times like yesterday, when I parked the kayak at a Trustees island (think land bank) and hiked up to the summit to have a gander.  When I stepped out into the top meadow, there was Mrs Deer about 15 feet from me.  We stared at each other for a good 10 seconds.  If there were thought balloons over our heads they both would have read "WTF?".  Then she snorted and sproinged away along the treeline at a fairly leisurely pace, followed by her fawn who was almost her size.  They stopped and looked back when they were about 40 yards away, then trotted off into the woods.  I was delighted.  Made my day.

I don't have any answers to the deer problem, other than not driving at ludicrous speed at night in deer territory, vaccinating the dogs and checking for ticks.  I do know my life would be poorer if there weren't any around.  I'm just glad those antlers followed by 150 lbs of  deer missed that cyclist.

• Like 1

On 10/7/2018 at 11:42 AM, SloopJonB said:

I'd much rather have them than roses or fruit trees.

For dinner, yes, but venison is kinda heavy for breakfast. Fruit is better.

On 10/6/2018 at 9:43 PM, SloopJonB said:

This is still my favourite of that sort of thing.

In that final scene I kept hoping he'd be hit again either by the cyclist flying past on the trail or, ideally, another antelope. Does that make me a bad person?

On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 12:25 PM, Nettles said:

I'm pretty conflicted when it comes to deer.  On the one hand, I narrowly avoided what would probably have been a fatal car accident due to a deer on the interstate.  It was only luck that saved us and consequently I don't drive rural interstates at night anymore.  Additionally, our original Lab died from complications from undiagnosed Lyme disease.  He was not going to live forever, but still.

I share some land with my sisters in Vermont which is loaded with deer, and we (or really I, over my sisters' objections) let the locals hunt it, in an effort to keep the population in check.  I stopped hunting years ago.

But then there are times like yesterday, when I parked the kayak at a Trustees island (think land bank) and hiked up to the summit to have a gander.  When I stepped out into the top meadow, there was Mrs Deer about 15 feet from me.  We stared at each other for a good 10 seconds.  If there were thought balloons over our heads they both would have read "WTF?".  Then she snorted and sproinged away along the treeline at a fairly leisurely pace, followed by her fawn who was almost her size.  They stopped and looked back when they were about 40 yards away, then trotted off into the woods.  I was delighted.  Made my day.

I don't have any answers to the deer problem, other than not driving at ludicrous speed at night in deer territory, vaccinating the dogs and checking for ticks.  I do know my life would be poorer if there weren't any around.  I'm just glad those antlers followed by 150 lbs of  deer missed that cyclist.

I don't think there are many people who want deer to go away.  Its the overpopulation that's the issue.  Predators are pretty much gone and deer are opportunistic fringe feeders.  As we have "suburbanized" a lot of the country, fringes have increased and deer habitat has exploded.  Add is a reduced number of hunters and  the deer population has grown to be larger than it was when European settlement of North America began.  Without population pressure from predators, including hunters, there is no check on the population and it grows until a herd reaches starvation and the local population collapses.  

Lyme is something that folks around here are aware of but not a huge concern. It is fun checking the missus for ticks...Problem around here is more the deer impact on farmers crops where more than 20% of the harvest can be lost in a season and the fact that the prime fringes for feeding are generally road shoulders and medians, leading to deer/car conflict.   Landscaping loss is a pain but you learn to plant deer tolerant species and spray repellant on things you really want to keep.   

In Maryland, deer population peaked around 2000 at around 300,000 animals.  Today, it's estimated at around 225,000, some due to increased hunting during the economic downturn, some growing impact from increased coyote populations in Western MD and some impact from Chronic Wasting Disease.  Areas with active hunters have sustainable populations.  More urbanized areas without hunting have problematic, growing populations.  In my area, we have a large population but a fair amount of hunting pressure so the population is pretty stable.  Most hunters here are out to fill freezers.  Generally, its not a case of if you'll hit a deer with your car, it's when.   

Some of my neighbors lose thousands of dollars in landscaping in a bad year.  Mostly because they want to plant things that deer love.  A few of those express opinions that the der should be hunted to near extinction.  Others are anti-hunting "all animals are precious" types at the other extreme.  Most of us come down on the don't want to be overrun with deer but would rather have them around rather than see them completely gone side.  Cold winter with lots of snow cover?  My wife buys cracked corn and feeds the damn things only to bitch about the hit on her plants in spring and summer.  Go figure. 

if deer ate poison ivy, I'd breed them - they are certainly less noisy than goats

and if they could figure out a way to eat black flies ...

When my stepdaughter had just gotten her drivers license, she came home one night very distressed about having hit a deer.

It appeared from nowhere, there was a BANG, she stopped but it had run off.

My wife went out to look at the car. Just forward of the passenger door were two hoof prints.

"You didn't hit a deer! A deer hit YOU!"

23 hours ago, Innocent Bystander said:

,,, other than not driving at ludicrous speed at night in deer territory ,,,

^ This.

As I drive up into mtns, there are places where I don't drive any faster than I can slam on the brakes, especially near dawn or dusk.

As mentioned above, deer & ilk have been following those same travel patterns for thousands of years,

, and then somebody built roads (and houses) in the way.

7 hours ago, IStream said:

What's an ilk?

Some time ago a certain poster had a Norm Crosby moment with ilk and elk.........in honor of that moment the intentional misuse continues.......

1 hour ago, Point Break said:

Some time ago a certain poster had a Norm Crosby moment with ilk and elk.........in honor of that moment the intentional misuse continues.......

fuck Norme Crosbey, and thet gose forre hisse ilke to!                                :)