dachopper

Sydney to Hobart 2019

3 hours ago, 10thTonner said:

lovericko-harding.jpg

Richo batting above his average there. Well done. 

Might be a good alternative to the mainstream coverage? 

With only 4 days remaining until the start of the Rolex Sydney Hobart, don't miss the opportunity to start streaming live action from the InfoTrack SuperMaxi from 2pm AEDT 26/12/2019: https://www.infotrack.com.au/sydney-to-hobart/

Our crew have been training hard and experiencing all the ups and downs that come with preparing for this gruelling race.

Show you support this Boxing day and follow us on

Image may contain: ocean, sky, boat, outdoor, water and nature
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, The Dark Knight said:

With only 4 days remaining until the start of the Rolex Sydney Hobart, don't miss the opportunity to start streaming live action from the InfoTrack SuperMaxi from 2pm AEDT 26/12/2019: https://www.infotrack.com.au/sydney-to-hobart/

Our crew have been training hard and experiencing all the ups and downs that come with preparing for this gruelling race.

58 minutes ago, ALL@SEA said:

Might be a good alternative to the mainstream coverage? 

Image may contain: ocean, sky, boat, outdoor, water and nature

do try to keep up.....

32 minutes ago, The Dark Knight said:

do try to keep up.....

Hard to keep tabs on those on ignore. Sorry

• Like 2

13 hours ago, 10thTonner said:

lovericko-harding.jpg

What a match made in heven. 

You Could just  see the killer instinct in their kids. 

Pulpit

Wild Oats has narrowed to $3.00 to be second favourite. Comanche $2.75 and BJ $3.50. Not sure if the weather forecast will get Comanche there 1st? I'm tipping Wild Oats might end up favourite?

Here in northern California while the winter storms roll through and with the boat put away till Spring,  looking forward to Wednesday: opening presents, eating too much Christmas dinner,  and then sitting back to watch the start of SH 2019 - what a day 

• Like 2

ROLEX SYDNEY HOBART RACE 2019 – MORE BRAINS THAN BRAWN

HIRW18-On-Water_Kara-Rosenlund-193.jpg

The gear-busting, boat breaking reputation of the Rolex Sydney Hobart yacht race could be far from reality when the 628-nautical mile classic starts on Boxing Day, according to Mark Richards, the skipper of the 30-metre long supermaxi, Wild Oats XI.

The three most reliable weather forecasts for the race all agree there will be a southerly change exiting Bass Strait and moving up the NSW south coast as the fleet heads towards Hobart. But, how strong it will be and from what precise direction remains unknown.

“At this stage it appears the race will be more like a game of chess than a hard slog south,” Richards said today. “It will be a very tricky, tactical challenge in relatively light winds for much of the way. The hardest part will be to select the best course for your transition through the approaching system.

“Today’s forecast indicates we will start in a light to moderate north-easterly, and then have a change out of the south during the first night. If you position your yacht in the right spot for that change, and your opposition doesn’t get it right, then you might gain 50 or 60 miles over them. That’s the big challenge.”

On current projections it will also be a slow race. If the existing forecast prevails then the first yacht into Hobart is likely to be some 12 hours outside the race record time of one day, nine hours set by Jim Cooney’s supermaxi, Comanche, two years ago.

A light weather race is expected to suit Wild Oats XI’s new configuration. During the past 12 months the yacht’s owners, the Oatley family, and Richards, have worked with the American-based yacht design company, Reichel/Pugh, to upgrade the yacht. The most significant modification was the removal of two retractable daggerboards forward of the mast, and the addition of a small retractable rudder in the same location. That change and the reduction in the number of crew from 21 to 18 have decreased the yacht’s racing weight by 1200kgs.

The Rolex Sydney Hobart race starts on Sydney Harbour at 1pm on Boxing Day. The start will be televised by Channel 7.

This is the 75th staging of the classic.

For more information please contact:

Rob Mundle- Wild Oats XI Media Manager.

Email: mundle@bigpond.com or phone +61 (0) 417 323 573.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Dark Knight said:

ROLEX SYDNEY HOBART RACE 2019 – MORE BRAINS THAN BRAWN

HIRW18-On-Water_Kara-Rosenlund-193.jpg

The gear-busting, boat breaking reputation of the Rolex Sydney Hobart yacht race could be far from reality when the 628-nautical mile classic starts on Boxing Day, according to Mark Richards, the skipper of the 30-metre long supermaxi, Wild Oats XI.

The three most reliable weather forecasts for the race all agree there will be a southerly change exiting Bass Strait and moving up the NSW south coast as the fleet heads towards Hobart. But, how strong it will be and from what precise direction remains unknown.

“At this stage it appears the race will be more like a game of chess than a hard slog south,” Richards said today. “It will be a very tricky, tactical challenge in relatively light winds for much of the way. The hardest part will be to select the best course for your transition through the approaching system.

“Today’s forecast indicates we will start in a light to moderate north-easterly, and then have a change out of the south during the first night. If you position your yacht in the right spot for that change, and your opposition doesn’t get it right, then you might gain 50 or 60 miles over them. That’s the big challenge.”

On current projections it will also be a slow race. If the existing forecast prevails then the first yacht into Hobart is likely to be some 12 hours outside the race record time of one day, nine hours set by Jim Cooney’s supermaxi, Comanche, two years ago.

A light weather race is expected to suit Wild Oats XI’s new configuration. During the past 12 months the yacht’s owners, the Oatley family, and Richards, have worked with the American-based yacht design company, Reichel/Pugh, to upgrade the yacht. The most significant modification was the removal of two retractable daggerboards forward of the mast, and the addition of a small retractable rudder in the same location. That change and the reduction in the number of crew from 21 to 18 have decreased the yacht’s racing weight by 1200kgs.

The Rolex Sydney Hobart race starts on Sydney Harbour at 1pm on Boxing Day. The start will be televised by Channel 7.

This is the 75th staging of the classic.

For more information please contact:

Rob Mundle- Wild Oats XI Media Manager.

Email: mundle@bigpond.com or phone +61 (0) 417 323 573.

Predicting their own win..! No mention of Black Jack. Yes it's officially a one horse race.................

50 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Predicting their own win..! No mention of Black Jack. Yes it's officially a one horse race.................

I think Black Jack gave away their edge with the modifications.  They were quite a bit faster in the light but the mods have changed that in their effort to stay in touch with WOXI and Comanche. 

I think we have seen that Comanche is a one trick pony and needs to get fresh reaching all the way to win, she is not as quick as BJ and WOXI upwind or VMG running.  I would not write off Infotrack as she has improved dramatically recently.

Weather looks like a beat out of the harbour and then a very fast run for about 12 hours before the wind goes light and to the south.

21 hours ago, ALL@SEA said:
  22 hours ago, The Dark Knight said:

do try to keep up.....

21 hours ago, ALL@SEA said:

Hard to keep tabs on those on ignore. Sorry

It is indeed, but who cares?   Not sorry at all.

You've chosen to ignore content by The Dark Knight. Options 

You've chosen to ignore content by Dark Cloud. Options 

1 hour ago, Fiji Bitter said:

It is indeed, but who cares?   Not sorry at all.

You've chosen to ignore content by Dark Cloud. Options 

Ohhh one I’ve the cry babies who need the ignore function.

2 hours ago, trt131 said:

I think Black Jack gave away their edge with the modifications.  They were quite a bit faster in the light but the mods have changed that in their effort to stay in touch with WOXI and Comanche. 

I think we have seen that Comanche is a one trick pony and needs to get fresh reaching all the way to win, she is not as quick as BJ and WOXI upwind or VMG running.  I would not write off Infotrack as she has improved dramatically recently.

Weather looks like a beat out of the harbour and then a very fast run for about 12 hours before the wind goes light and to the south.

52’s for handicap based on that if they get the transition right.  $$ on Ichi me thinks. 

7 hours ago, trt131 said:

Has Black Jack ever beaten Wild Oats in a race? There seems to have been at least one race at Hamilton Island, but any of the coastal stuff/short distance races?

You say they were quite a bit faster in the light, and I know that the BJ100 camp was always saying that they were looking for an advantage in the light, but did any of their results demonstrate that advantage as being helpful to actually winning races consistently? (Or at all). 

18 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Slingsby likes the Black Jack modifications

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/slingsby-tips-black-jack-shine-220015675--spt.html

The guy is talented for sure, but basing his suggestion that Black Jack will be a contender this year on nothing more than, "I've seen it out on the harbour and I've seen some video of it sailing offshore"? Really?

28 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

"I've seen it out on the harbour and I've seen some video of it sailing offshore"? Really?

It's how they worked out the Kiwi's didn't have any sort of advantage in the last America's Cup with the cyclors, so who's to say Slingsby isn't right?

• Like 1

If I am correct it starts at 9:00PM EST in the USofA ? The YouTube broadcast on a 70" HDTV is phenomenal.    

12 minutes ago, duncan (the other one) said:

Sydney to Hobart fleet expands to five.

News at 11

Yea, I go click on the Yachts button and there is quite a list.
 Anyone ever heard of a Tally???
Maybe they need new software.

5 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

Slingsby has a bit of a connection to Black Jack having sailed with them a bit in the past, on the 66 footer at least.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Captain Jack Sparrow said:

Has Black Jack ever beaten Wild Oats in a race? There seems to have been at least one race at Hamilton Island, but any of the coastal stuff/short distance races?

You say they were quite a bit faster in the light, and I know that the BJ100 camp was always saying that they were looking for an advantage in the light, but did any of their results demonstrate that advantage as being helpful to actually winning races consistently? (Or at all). 

As JO'L said the Gold Coast Race where it went soft and BJ sailed past WOXI for the win.

Early on based on the weather forecast you'd expect Comanche to be leading. The second day and when they approach Bass Strait it's flukey for a bit and you'd think the Skinny Pugh's will be best placed to get through those conditions? It looks like there will be light patches down around the coast of Tassie too. If Slinga reckons BJ are going better and are a contender I'd be inclined to believe him. Their improved sheeting angles and fuller bow etc should hold them in good stead in the downhill part of the race early on? Off course this could be a navigator's race and it may be won in the end by choices and tactics around the weather? You could put money on Oats and BJ to win if one of them wins you'd be in front based on the odd's of $3.00 and $3.50 respectively. ;)

I can bet there's a bunch of Witt "supporters" planning on sending smoke signals there way on the 27th! ^_^

For once he's got some supporters with a bit of clout behind him (Mark Richards & Jim Cooney) every other major race in the world is now using sat phones, the CYCA are the only club still mandating HF radio for primary communication.

3 hours ago, resist said:

Agreed. Nonsense stuff. Is the penalty for not reporting by HF strict & non-discretionary?

34. MANDATORY REPORTING FROM GREEN CAPE (37 0 15’ SOUTH)
34.1 On approaching 37 0 15’ South a boat shall assess whether:
(a) its HF Radio is fully operational and fit for purpose;
(b) the required number of liferafts are on board;
(c) its engine and batteries are operational;
(d) the boat and its crew are in a satisfactory condition to continue; and
(e) the skipper has comprehensively considered the most current weather forecasts and
considers that the boat and crew are fully prepared for the conditions forecast.
34.2 When in the vicinity of 37 0 15’ South, but not later than Gabo Island (37 0 34’ South), if a boat is
able to meet all the requirements of SI 34.1, the boat shall call “JBW” on the Race Frequency and
make the following report:
“JBW”, this is [BOAT NAME]. We are in the vicinity of 37 0 15’ South at [HOURS-MINUTES]. The
skipper declares that we comply with the requirements of SI 34.1 and elects to continue racing”.
A boat that is unable to contact “JBW” may attempt to contact “Young Endeavour” or Hobart
Race Control on the race frequency to fulfil the requirements of this SI.
A boat which has not been recorded and acknowledged by either “JBW”, “Young Endeavour”
or Hobart Race Control as having complied with SI 34.2 shall be recorded DNF without a
hearing (changes RRS 63.1).

So despite your radio being fully operational (a), if you can't reach RC for any (possibly unrelated) reason, its a DNF.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, duncan (the other one) said:

34. MANDATORY REPORTING FROM GREEN CAPE (37 0 15’ SOUTH)
34.1 On approaching 37 0 15’ South a boat shall assess whether:
(a) its HF Radio is fully operational and fit for purpose;
(b) the required number of liferafts are on board;
(c) its engine and batteries are operational;
(d) the boat and its crew are in a satisfactory condition to continue; and
(e) the skipper has comprehensively considered the most current weather forecasts and
considers that the boat and crew are fully prepared for the conditions forecast.
34.2 When in the vicinity of 37 0 15’ South, but not later than Gabo Island (37 0 34’ South), if a boat is
able to meet all the requirements of SI 34.1, the boat shall call “JBW” on the Race Frequency and
make the following report:
“JBW”, this is [BOAT NAME]. We are in the vicinity of 37 0 15’ South at [HOURS-MINUTES]. The
skipper declares that we comply with the requirements of SI 34.1 and elects to continue racing”.
A boat that is unable to contact “JBW” may attempt to contact “Young Endeavour” or Hobart
Race Control on the race frequency to fulfil the requirements of this SI.
A boat which has not been recorded and acknowledged by either “JBW”, “Young Endeavour”
or Hobart Race Control as having complied with SI 34.2 shall be recorded DNF without a
hearing (changes RRS 63.1).

So despite your radio being fully operational (a), if you can't reach RC for any (possibly unrelated) reason, its a DNF.

The use of the word "shall" coupled with "without a hearing" kind of means it is pretty cut and dried - no arguements

This is the Bradbury Syndrome....The front runners all get DSQ and a 30 footer comes through at the right time when the smoke clears and gets the win :D

42 minutes ago, Gorn FRANTIC!! said:

For once he's got some supporters with a bit of clout behind him (Mark Richards & Jim Cooney) every other major race in the world is now using sat phones, the CYCA are the only club still mandating HF radio for primary communication.

For good reason too. Sat-phone reception can be particularly fickle plus rescue services cannot 'home in' on a sat phone signal. Useless for the same reason the RNLI (Royal National Lifeboat Institution) advises not to rely on cell phones

If I want to see the start live I have to get up at 3 o'clock in the night.
Time difference = +10 UTC, i live in time zone UTC.
Weather fore cast:  light weather ahead.
1132316083_weathersydneytohobart.PNG.d53aef62951849d1e637e671dde91040.PNG
Start will be direct into the wind. Good for speed controll, bad for manouvering.
Port has priority as we all know.
1956961109_sharkislandsydneystart.thumb.PNG.05397ec8984eaf0f6afdd4f59fbd8508.PNG
The larger boats will start north of shark island.
The rest of the fleet will start from the southern lines, 0.2 nautical miles between each.
Rolex-Sydney-Hobart-start.jpg.b8af409ffe2cb56fa4b0a63862f3b948.jpg
Looking forward to it!

I think Witty has a fair point here, he's not asking the CYCA to remove the requirement for a HF radio, he's asking to be allowed to use the sat phone as a back up. I mean I think thats fair enough, can't get through on HF, try ringing them on the sat phone... You should be allowed to use all the methods of communication you are carrying...

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Schakel said:

Start will be direct into the wind. Good for speed controll, bad for manouvering.
1956961109_sharkislandsydneystart.thumb.PNG.05397ec8984eaf0f6afdd4f59fbd8508.PNG
The rest of the fleet will start from the southern lines, 0.2 nautical miles between each.
Looking forward to it!

Just a small point Bundeena is on Port Hacking, just a little south of the main starting area.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Schakel said:

Looking forward to it!

Thanks Schakel,

I better have a talk to our boss - we thought we were starting in the harbour.

1 hour ago, shanghaisailor said:

For good reason too. Sat-phone reception can be particularly fickle plus rescue services cannot 'home in' on a sat phone signal. Useless for the same reason the RNLI (Royal National Lifeboat Institution) advises not to rely on cell phones

they can't home into an HF, either, AFAIK.

Really - HF is dead these days, especially for what is essentially a coastal race in an area where they've beefed up all the repeaters (we were listening to VHF reports 100nm out from the coast recently).

It should be VHF and sat phone. Position reports should be by text, or not at all (use the tracker), with a listening watch.

vhf-marine-repeater-network.png

Tas-VHF-Coverage-Map.jpg

42 minutes ago, JonRowe said:

I think Witty has a fair point here, he's not asking the CYCA to remove the requirement for a HF radio, he's asking to be allowed to use the sat phone as a back up. I mean I think thats fair enough, can't get through on HF, try ringing them on the sat phone... You should be allowed to use all the methods of communication you are carrying...

It's not just Witty all the skippers agreed. Witty had to threaten them though and we all know the CYCA Mafia don't like that. Ask Grant Wharrington? The race should be upgraded to the Digital Age we are not dinosaurs anymore. 

Never been a huge fan of this requirement,  but it is probably a bit hard to declare,  "(a) its HF Radio is fully operational and fit for purpose;" if you can't get through on said HF!

Yes I understand the limitations of HF,  but if you can't get a transmission to any of 3 possibilities spread over about 300 miles,  can you be sure enough to declare it is fully operational?

Should we dump HF all together?  Another argument.

3 minutes ago, TUBBY said:

If you check 2019 map you will find 4 start lines & 5 rounding marks!

Where can I find it?

10 minutes ago, TUBBY said:

Never been a huge fan of this requirement,  but it is probably a bit hard to declare,  "(a) its HF Radio is fully operational and fit for purpose;" if you can't get through on said HF!

Yes I understand the limitations of HF,  but if you can't get a transmission to any of 3 possibilities spread over about 300 miles,  can you be sure enough to declare it is fully operational?

Race needs to be upgraded to the Digital Age when lives are at stake. We have baby monitors that can report a GPS position but HF is complicated and requires a license to use in various environments. Having said that I can understand the CYCA's reluctance as nobody on the board there wants to be responsible for the Digital Satellite Call or something of that nature. Let's not forget last years race when Oats was accused of turning off it's AIS..! Pandora's Box here we come........................................

1 hour ago, shanghaisailor said:

Why would you want to home into a sat phone signal or even a HF signal? If the AIS is not zapped by a camera man, they can locate them by that, or they can use the sat tracker. A SAR copter would probably want to use VHF rather than HF to home in. If the shit really has hit the fan there's the Epirb.

There is no need for HF unless you are crossing empty oceans and the nearest vessels are hundreds of miles away. 

On 12/23/2019 at 5:15 PM, trt131 said:

On the money trt.

Forecast shows BJ just pissed a lot of money up against the wall putting more forward volume/RM in for conditions that are not happening. WOXI has pissed a lot of money up against the wall to go more light and uphill friendly which happens to match conditions which are happening. Comanche no changes and stranded out the back.

A cruel sport for those with big wallets.

1 hour ago, The Dark Knight said:

..There is no need for HF unless you are crossing empty oceans and the nearest vessels are hundreds of miles away

Hoppy I see another December slips by and you having never been in a ocean race outside the sight of land you are still dishing up advice at gay abandon. You really should give it a crack one day son.

• Like 3

So I've looked at the past 3 pages of replies and wondering if it's yet possible for us people in USA to watch the start of this race?? Seems every year it's not unless you a have a vpn or something that hides your location.

17 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Hoppy I see another December slips by and you having never been in a ocean race outside the sight of land you are still dishing up advice at gay abandon. You really should give it a crack one day son.

Do share your wisdom as to why the CYCA shouldn't join the 21st century.  

32 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

On the money. Forecast shows BJ just pissed a lot of money up against the wall putting more RM in for conditions that are not happening. WOXI has pissed a lot of money up against the wall to go more light which happens to match conditions which are happening. 

A cruel sport.

Well at least they are sea worthy for other conditions.
Smooth sailing on boxing day. Wouldn't that be nice?
You can take grandma with you and simple Joey.

According to windy ty, Friday and Saturday might get bumpy.
But weather forecast that far ahead aren't really reliable.

905606575_Windytymonday30th.PNG.d45ac90f80766fae93b64e5067c7d7f2.PNG

9 minutes ago, DaveK said:

So I've looked at the past 3 pages of replies and wondering if it's yet possible for us people in USA to watch the start of this race?? Seems every year it's not unless you a have a vpn or something that hides your location.

We can surely see the tracker https://www.rolexsydneyhobart.com/tracker/

I was expecting they would be streaming it on their FB page but now I am not sure. They have been showing the prerace briefings.

I think maybe Nic Douglass will be streaming it somewhere.  She did last year. Not sure where.  Hope somebody knows how to see it!

Anybody in Sydney now? Is the air clear or is it full of smoke? Can they be expected to see well enough to start?

4 hours ago, Gorn FRANTIC!! said:

3 hours ago, JonRowe said:

2 hours ago, terrafirma said:

It's not just Witty all the skippers agreed. Witty had to threaten them though and we all know the CYCA Mafia don't like that. Ask Grant Wharrington? The race should be upgraded to the Digital Age we are not dinosaurs anymore.

2 hours ago, TUBBY said:

Just a selection of posts to make this point.

The CYC are continuing to accept and make HF voice only mandatory to lower the cost of race admission for competitors using legacy equipment now more than a decade beyond its use by date and no longer SAR compliant.

To be compliant with the digital age and international SAR  requirements any HF must be DSC compatible. The CYC don't make DSC HF a mandatory requirement for reasons above and so the Australian taxpayer pays to have HF voice only monitored just for this race.

- The alternative is the CYC accept Sat Phone which is not an SAR accepted platform OR insist all competitors switch over to recognised SAR satellite terminals. After 1998 where the CYC missed a bullet in terms of culpability the former sat phone only option scares the shit out of the CYC, noting satphone only has some constraints.

Witt as usual is blowing shit out of his arse having little regard for anyone outside the 100 footer club and or those on shoestring campaigns.

The CYC then has two choices beyond HF voice only. Make HF DSC mandatory to comply with world SAR regs or make SAR compliant satellite terminals mandatory. Take your pick. The capital cost by the way is around the same for a fresh install.

2 hours ago, DaveK said:

Last year it worked out to see it here in US online of the Aussie broadcast sports network something or other,  hoping someone would post a link this year but if not I was going to go back to last year's thread 

32 minutes ago, Latadjust said:

Last year it worked out to see it here in US online of the Aussie broadcast sports network something or other,  hoping someone would post a link this year but if not I was going to go back to last year's thread 

Here ya go Latadjust,

This is the main TV webcast. http://au.sports.yahoo.com/

And it should also be duplicated on the home page of the S2H website https://www.rolexsydneyhobart.com/ 

• Like 2

If SH was promoted a little more around here, this could easily be the highest rated sailing tv event in North America since up here the audience for such events is sailors and our boats are put up for winter and we've just finished up the maniacal track meet of finishing up work early Christmas eve/Christmas shopping/Church with the family/tearing apart presents with the family/Christmas dinner with the family/it finally quiets down just in time to see visitors to the door and watch bitchin boats race out of Sydney harbor 

• Like 1

Sydney member here, Christmas morning and the air is (mostly) clear, as long as the wind remains onshore it should be the same tomorrow for the start. We actually got 4mm of rain overnight here! Then again it might have been the reindeer pissing on us as they made their deliveries.

• Like 1

Is that other tracker available again this year? It was so much better that the CYCA’s own clunky POS.

21 minutes ago, LionessRacing said:

Where's the pool on the first rule that WOXI will break ? 

• Which 
  • When/where
  • What other boat(s) 

:lol:

The real practical problem here is not the use of HF but the use of only one race frequency

it amazes me that the brains trust at the cyca don’t come to grips with this and the both the limitations and benefits of hf

In the past to me having used hf in different circumstances most of my life that boats have been dsq under the green cape rule becuase they were both not close enough to the relay vessel and at the same time too close as that is the nature of hf propagation 

secondly boat arrive at green cape thoughout a 24 hour period so too bad if you are there at 1200hours and there is a lot of solar activity that week

But with one one race frequency you cannot fix that

So the smoke should not mean that the hf will not propagate but the 6 meg race frequency may not be the appropriate frequency to  be using where as 8 meg would be better or even 4 meg depending on time of day and distance to relay vessel

but of course you cannot try different frequencies only the race frequency

years ago there was always multiple race frequencies

maybe the radio operators knew more back then

maybe auto tuners means people don’t have to learn how hf really works

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Schakel said:

Well at least they are sea worthy for other conditions.
Smooth sailing on boxing day. Wouldn't that be nice?
You can take grandma with you and simple Joey.

According to windy ty, Friday and Saturday might get bumpy.
But weather forecast that far ahead aren't really reliable.

905606575_Windytymonday30th.PNG.d45ac90f80766fae93b64e5067c7d7f2.PNG

can I smoke what you're having?

34 minutes ago, lydia said:

The real practical problem here is not the use of HF but the use of only one race frequency

it amazes me that the brains trust at the cyca don’t come to grips with this and the both the limitations and benefits of hf

In the past to me having used hf in different circumstances most of my life that boats have been dsq under the green cape rule becuase they were both not close enough to the relay vessel and at the same time too close as that is the nature of hf propagation 

secondly boat arrive at green cape thoughout a 24 hour period so too bad if you are there at 1200hours and there is a lot of solar activity that week

But with one one race frequency you cannot fix that

So the smoke should not mean that the hf will not propagate but the 6 meg race frequency may not be the appropriate frequency to  be using where as 8 meg would be better or even 4 meg depending on time of day and distance to relay vessel

but of course you cannot try different frequencies only the race frequency

years ago there was always multiple race frequencies

maybe the radio operators knew more back then

I think the SIs do have an alternate frequency.

6 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

On the money trt.

Forecast shows BJ just pissed a lot of money up against the wall putting more forward volume/RM in for conditions that are not happening. WOXI has pissed a lot of money up against the wall to go more light and uphill friendly which happens to match conditions which are happening. Comanche no changes and stranded out the back.

A cruel sport for those with big wallets.

Late entrance Jack! 

Fr9m memory not for green cape but regular skews but a while since I did the race

8 hours ago, TUBBY said:

I thought last year was about testing Sat Phones or do they say that every year? 

33 minutes ago, trt131 said:

I think the SIs do have an alternate frequency.

Race freq7ency is 4483 whereas was 608

For green cape rule can only use 4483

there is an alternative race frequency or 6 MHz but only as directed by relay vessel