dachopper

Sydney to Hobart 2019

Australian TV coverage by Channel 7 of the start today must be just about the worst ever. About 1/3 advertising, 1/3 background interviews, 1/3 actual coverage. That's like broadcasting 15 minutes of each half of a rugby match. Just vandalism. Do a decent job, Channel 7, or give it to someone who can!

Comanche just hit 29 Knots..!  Alive going faster than Scallywag at times so you'd think they will be well positioned come the change?

2 minutes ago, antskip said:

Australian TV coverage by Channel 7 of the start today must be just about the worst ever. About 1/3 advertising, 1/3 background interviews, 1/3 actual coverage. That's like broadcasting 15 minutes of each half of a rugby match. Just vandalism. Do a decent job, Channel 7, or give it to someone who can!

No timed it for the third quarter

Mores ads than race coverage

dont like Audi’s and any not buying a riviera or going to hammo anytime soon

• Like 1

Well on the upside, the international streams never leave the water, & on the downside you had the cock-up with the aspect ratio.

And of course it was free (to me anyway).

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Comanche just hit 29 Knots..!  Alive going faster than Scallywag at times so you'd think they will be well positioned come the change?

Unfortunately Comanche is a dog in the light. They will make the best of the present - but are quite capable of losing to the narrow 100's however far ahead they get. Their starting remains dreadful. Amazing they seem unwilling to fix something so basic. Who knows how that late start will impact on the race - especially in a boat with a known Achilles Heal. The boat should be given every chance.

Thanks Nic!

But does anyone in the Americas's have a start replay? Great way to cap a Christmas evening here, perhaps.

Peace to all.

20 minutes ago, lydia said:

No timed it for the third quarter

Mores ads than race coverage

dont like Audi’s and any not buying a riviera or going to hammo anytime soon

There was a link on "Live, Sail, Die" that I'm pretty sure was the same footage, but ad free. I'm at work, so it was on mute - I can't comment on the commentary.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rico said:

Thanks Nic!

But does anyone in the Americas's have a start replay? Great way to cap a Christmas evening here, perhaps.

Peace to all.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, antskip said:

Unfortunately Comanche is a dog in the light. They will make the best of the present - but are quite capable of losing to the narrow 100's however far ahead they get. Their starting remains dreadful. Amazing they seem unwilling to fix something so basic. Who knows how that late start will impact on the race - especially in a boat with a known Achilles Heal. The boat should be given every chance.

The only boat in the 100 class that is being driven by the owner who is not in the league of the other semi-pro skippers. That's why their start was poor. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

The only boat in the 100 class that is being driven by the owner who is not in the league of the other semi-pro skippers. That's why their start was poor. 

probably more an issue with the tactics than the driving

2 hours ago, savoir said:

Wild Oats is getting clobbered.  Something wrong maybe ?

Way down in the bow. Carrying massive amounts of richo’s hair care products. 

• Like 3

looks like the duo have found some weather to their liking :)

Not overly impressed with Maverick.  Mixing it up with the 50s but if it doesn’t blast them away in this it basically won’t.

I'd like to thank Rolex, CYCA, Channel 7 and whoever I don't know about that helped get this start broadcast webwise to North America....it is truly much appreciated! Thank you guys and gals!

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, The Dark Knight said:

probably more an issue with the tactics than the driving

Yes for sure. Sometimes the owner makes the call. Even on the telecast you could see they were going to be late. I don't think it will effect their result. Their future could be decided later today? It looks like there will be more breeze further out offshore but their VMG is not gaining them miles ATM. They are around 6-7 miles ahead ATM and we've seen them be in this position time and time again can not be able to hold it. 

2 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

It looks like there will be more breeze further out offshore

indeed , freight train to NZ ...

need to get to Tas .

The Windy tracker is working fine for me. I just search Windy Hobart tracker, off Firefox. Beats the official tracker hands down.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, paps49 said:

No wind in the Windy tracker? Am I missing something?

Try zooming out a little. 

20 minutes ago, paps49 said:

No wind in the Windy tracker? Am I missing something?

if you're using the gis.ee tracker, if you zoom in too much you lose the wind overlay

Windy Tracker showing Comanche not far off from a drop in wind strength. There is a massive hole right in the middle of the rhumb line. I'm sure Stan is aiming East of this hole. Tough to see a way through ahead for the Indian. 

2 minutes ago, Gorn FRANTIC!! said:

That is the wind overlay...

Looks like the wind overlay to me..! LOL

1 minute ago, Gorn FRANTIC!! said:

That is the wind overlay...

Really?

I used this tracker extensively during the VOR and it used to be way better than this.

Just watched the first 10 minutes. MR is still just a cunt, Battler, Battler oh what the fuck Big Fella, Where is the mark Juan oh fuck. Just a cunt (a very, very lucky one)

• Like 4

1 minute ago, terrafirma said:

Windy Tracker showing Comanche not far off from a drop in wind strength. There is a massive hole right in the middle of the rhumb line. I'm sure Stan is aiming East of this hole. Tough to see a way through ahead for the Indian. 

take a look here https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-215.33,-38.66,3000/loc=151.186,-37.481

click on any spot for Lat / Long and wind ...down the coast for mine .

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, paps49 said:

Really?

I used this tracker extensively during the VOR and it used to be way better than this.

Better write a strongly worded email and ask for your subscription fee back in that case.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gorn FRANTIC!! said:

Better write a strongly worded email and ask for your subscription fee back in that case.

Very funny Frantic but what ever happened to wind direction?

Have they changed the secret codes since last year?

14 minutes ago, paps49 said:

Very funny Frantic but what ever happened to wind direction?

Have they changed the secret codes since last year?

It’s still there for the rest of us mate. Prob your browser or display settings.

85CC0753-D63F-4B5E-A0ED-86F35628BF41.png

fat girls round the outside :blink:

6 minutes ago, Mid said:

fat girls round the outside :blink:

It's worked before?

circle is their rough position

Untitled.jpg.d36cf94e6016fe79f3e1369475063054.jpg

53 minutes ago, thetruth said:

Just watched the first 10 minutes. MR is still just a cunt, Battler, Battler oh what the fuck Big Fella, Where is the mark Juan oh fuck. Just a cunt (a very, very lucky one)

It does appear that MR is not the sort of skipper I would sail with but I do wonder if he is performing for the camera

tipping Oats to split and head for the beach .

• Like 1

Wondering if Midnight Rambler has kite issues.

No way is she a 4nm slower boat that Philosopher or slower than a 40.7 in these conditions!!

I still luv ya Richo! He did seem to be making ALL the calls this year.

I would describe Richo’s level of yelling about 4 out of 10 on the internationally recognised Dalton / Cayard scale of yelling. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, antskip said:

Couldn't agree more. it was a bloody disgrace, no HD coverage and oh we are at the start of a live yacht race.. lets put in some prerecorded video of boats that can be see racing anywhere, rather than a supermaxi blasting along at 20+ knots. 

Disappointed in Mark Richards's too he didn't drop an F-bomb while live first time in a long time that hasn't happened. 

• Like 1

Favourite Richo call this year was 'twist the main more' when it was completely inside out with every batten popped.  I can't claim to have ever trimmed a 100fter main, and the trimmer is obviously no mug, but it looked like a bag of shit.  Not sure there was much the trimmer could do however, mast looked plenty bent already and simply looked out of tune for the reef.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, vokstar said:

Disappointed in Mark Richards's too he didn't drop an F-bomb while live first time in a long time that hasn't happened. 

Nah, +14:35......where the fuck is the mark. Thats where I turned the sound off. Bit embarrassed for the WO crew. Does MR ever STFU?

As suggested the pack minus Woxi are following the fat lady out to sea. Maybe it will come down to how radical Stan has been asked to go....

12 minutes ago, vokstar said:

Couldn't agree more. it was a bloody disgrace, no HD coverage and oh we are at the start of a live yacht race.. lets put in some prerecorded video of boats that can be see racing anywhere, rather than a supermaxi blasting along at 20+ knots. 

The slot was all wrong and needed to be opened up.  I can't be positive but did notice that WOXI carried a bigger jib than Blackjack so that might be it.  Could also be that the jib sheeting angle was too narrow.

Loved the commentators words “after getting the boat out the heads I think Mark Richards could go for a lie down”

Windy predicts the fat girl losing out of this ..............

Untitled.jpg.967d67148d00c97ba4df1df21676514b.jpg

8 minutes ago, vokstar said:

I do believe Mrs. O has the right of it, & I think their was another when the OZ/TAS set were cut off during a commercial break, needless to say as an old retired tradesman, swearing has no effect on me.

Kind of takes me back to the days when I watched the Indy 500 on a C band satellite dish using a feed that never left the track, commentators off the air & Derek Walker, "get that shit off the wing!"

53 minutes ago, Rushman said:

It does appear that MR is not the sort of skipper I would sail with but I do wonder if he is performing for the camera

He has looked after the Oatley family, or maybe they helped him out who cares someone was smart and they all made a shit load. Ricko sold out of North Shore boats for $10 mill so good on him

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, savoir said:

The slot was all wrong and needed to be opened up.  I can't be positive but did notice that WOXI carried a bigger jib than Blackjack so that might be it.  Could also be that the jib sheeting angle was too narrow.

To my eyes I think Oats had the wrong sail combo, it looked like they started with a reef & J2, where BJ & Scally looked to be carrying a J3, the latter also having a reef but neither having trouble keeping the main set & happy.

3 minutes ago, Gorn FRANTIC!! said:

To my eyes I think Oats had the wrong sail combo, it looked like they started with a reef & J2, where BJ & Scally looked to be carrying a J3, the latter also having a reef but neither having trouble keeping the main set & happy.

to be fair, oats beat them both out of the harbour and only got overtaken once the reef was taken out and everyone had their big sails up. (if i recall correctly)

38 minutes ago, Mid said:

Windy predicts the fat girl losing out of this ..............

Untitled.jpg.967d67148d00c97ba4df1df21676514b.jpg

Yes looks that way. Having said that Comanche still taking the best route for her VPP chart. They'll have to stay tough and hope they pick up the most breeze East when it comes back in with a decent angle to Tassie. Oats already looking the goods. Doing the best numbers in these conditions. 

56 minutes ago, vokstar said:

I heard a fuck uttered by him. Do better?

23 minutes ago, thetruth said:

He has looked after the Oatley family, or maybe they helped him out who cares someone was smart and they all made a shit load. Ricko sold out of North Shore boats for $10 mill so good on him

He can be all of those things and still be a wanker on the water

• Like 1

1 minute ago, terrafirma said:

Yes looks that way. Having said that Comanche still taking the best route for her VPP chart. They'll have to stay tough and hope they pick up the most breeze East when it comes back in with a decent angle to Tassie. Oats already looking the goods. Doing the best numbers in these conditions. 

They will split, although East looked good in another 7hrs I reckon Oats is going to go west, take an early advantage & meet them half way down Tas ............. ? Poossiblllly ? ..... 

45 minutes ago, inebriated said:

to be fair, oats beat them both out of the harbour and only got overtaken once the reef was taken out and everyone had their big sails up. (if i recall correctly)

oats normally would have done a lot better on the beat to the turning mark. the reefed main was backing the whole way. looked dreadful, sailed slow - for oats. she was overpowered. something was very wrong. she normally loves that stuff. but once she turned and shook out the reef and the main looked fine she wasn't particularly quick either. maybe it was under something other than the sails? ballast, foils? didn't look the oats of old. yet now down the coast she is doing fine...race might be decided in next hours and dependent on positioning rather than just boat speed - of the 100's oats has chosen the most easterly course, Comanche most westerly...that said, Comanche has far more to fear in the light stuff than Oats. Oats is so slippery - she hardly ever stops moving even in the lightest of winds - Comanche can just stop dead and give up all its lead in no time. Comanche needs to keep the wind. Oats is designed for the Hobart.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, antskip said:

oats normally would have done a lot better on the beat to the turning mark. the reefed main was backing the whole way. looked dreadful, sailed slow - for oats. she was overpowered. something was very wrong. she normally loves that stuff. but once she turned and shook out the reef and the main looked fine she wasn't particularly quick either. maybe it was under something other than the sails? ballast, foils? didn't look the oats of old. yet now down the coast she is doing fine...race might be decided in next hours and dependent on positioning rather than just boat speed - of the 100's oats has chosen the most easterly course, Comanche most westerly...

Oats overpowered up the harbour, bigger headsail than Scally and BJ wasn't helping. At turn mark hoisting 2 more headsails, shaking out the reef and raising forward rudder they had a bit on and are now 4 crew less than usual...probably why the others rolled over them. Settled down now running deeper than the others which they usually do plus now the 1200kg weight saving starts to have effect.

• Like 1

Oats just needed to keep up with Comanche and now the winds will favour them now its time for Comanche to keep up with Oats, but the big indian was smoking along...

I don’t know the territory so this might be a stupid question but is there any chance of a land breeze after sunset ?

S2H site has just chucked it!!  Shows "bad gateway" for standings and tracker won't load!!!

You think they'd know how to design a website by know?!

Black Jack moving along nicely at the moment.

Oats down to 6 Knots and Scallywag seemingly enjoying the lighter conditions. I think she is the lightest 100 out there from memory? Comanche doing ok for now I still prefer her course than Oats notwithstanding Oats expects to be able to punch through this better than the others. Infotrack doing quite well holding off BJ. Alive should enjoy these conditions too..

Just now, Horn Rock said:

Working fine for me.

For me as wel but 7 hours ago during the start I was not able to get in as well.
Great start by the way.
1168008235_StartSydneyHobart10.thumb.PNG.bac18d11c2a692c284f658699bffff3a.PNG
Infotrack first out of sydney bay but not able to maintain the lead.
2013522958_StartSydneyHobart8.PNG.0a138a2855c2c15eba627d57c33ca0c8.PNG
Situation right now.
1585312329_7hoursracingS2H.PNG.38a19c82ac673dd1790cd0fb64d73eaa.PNG

3 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Black Jack moving along nicely at the moment.

Black Jack and Infotrack about in the same position

Daguet doing well, a few good French names on it, and Goodchild to translate.

1 hour ago, antskip said:

oats normally would have done a lot better on the beat to the turning mark. the reefed main was backing the whole way. looked dreadful, sailed slow - for oats. she was overpowered. something was very wrong. she normally loves that stuff. but once she turned and shook out the reef and the main looked fine she wasn't particularly quick either. maybe it was under something other than the sails? ballast, foils? didn't look the oats of old. yet now down the coast she is doing fine...race might be decided in next hours and dependent on positioning rather than just boat speed - of the 100's oats has chosen the most easterly course, Comanche most westerly...that said, Comanche has far more to fear in the light stuff than Oats. Oats is so slippery - she hardly ever stops moving even in the lightest of winds - Comanche can just stop dead and give up all its lead in no time. Comanche needs to keep the wind. Oats is designed for the Hobart.

Are you sure you haven't flipped the map over? The Big Indian is furthest east, and WOXI is furthest west of all the maxis.

• Like 1

Here comes a moment. Oats has gybed but seemingly not a lot in front of her? Scallywag into second place for a moment.! BJ and Infotrack almost parked. Oats saw this coming. But Scallywag and Comanche doing ok but SW could potentially push ahead? This is the moment they were talking about before the start of the race. Comanche heading East again and VMG will look terrible until she finds the pressure.

Split off to an east and west groups now, only time will tell, and a few more holes to negotiate yet. The west move looks good now but might bite them on the arse later. 

Looking at 12 hours ahead my money is on east

8 hours ago, Mr. Coventry said:

Black Jack should be first out of the heads given the conditions 

Gee you know your stuff- channel 7 should be calling any time now.

So that's it then, 02:15 local, Dr Who on the telly (old school with Chris & Billy), see all of you in a bit after a sleep.

2 hours ago, JL92S said:

Loved the commentators words “after getting the boat out the heads I think Mark Richards could go for a lie down”

Maybe with a couple of calm pills.

18 minutes ago, MRS OCTOPUS said:

One camp is betting on the wind, the other the current.

see...... http://www.bom.gov.au/oceanography/forecasts/idyoc300.shtml?region=VICTAS&forecast=Current

744162345_SydneyHobartweather.PNG.4c9c998f3c4d9e91b80453aa30537c84.PNG
Looks to me WOXI is gambling on getting the winds in Bass strait first.
Currents is hard to tell from here:
1142614298_SydneyHobartcurrent.PNG.228ed2f5ddafe9e3be726e54b586f35c.PNG
WOXI doing 9 knots, Comanche 3.9 knots.