dachopper

Sydney to Hobart 2019

Okay, just so that I get this. There is another spectacular 100ft yacht little further down and a REAL race for the podium a little further out and YOU CALL IT A DAY? I would understand it if this was some commercial TV production but this is your OWN LIVE FEED, GDMNIT AAARGGH!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Matagi said:

Okay, just so that I get this. There is another spectacular 100ft yacht little further down and a REAL race for the podium a little further out and YOU CALL IT A DAY? I would understand it if this was some commercial TV production but this is your OWN LIVE FEED, GDMNIT AAARGGH!

She's taking a break to try to get a shore side interview then head back out again, she's already said she'll try to cover as many sailors of the "150" as possible :)

• Like 2

Battle for the final podium spot with the RP sisters.  Who's mods were most valuable?  Outside, looks like pressure is dying hard.  Smaller boats still favored for taking handicap honors?

2 minutes ago, Swimsailor said:

Battle for the final podium spot with the RP sisters.  Who's mods were most valuable?  Outside, looks like pressure is dying hard.  Smaller boats still favored for taking handicap honors?

I can almost hear Mr Shouty from here.

ABC 24 is the news channel and has a corner of the screen on Infotrack............ incredible story this Speedboat has had , so much heavier as an older wide bum boat by Juan K  that infamously lost its keel of Fasnet Rock and had the crew all in the water........then to be rebuilt and come to Oz....a big result for them

• Like 1

WOXI now in 3rd, tight battle with Black Jack

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, huey 2 said:

ABC 24 is the news channel and has a corner of the screen on Infotrack............ incredible story this Speedboat has had , so much heavier as an older wide bum boat by Juan K  that infamously lost its keel of Fasnet Rock and had the crew all in the water........then to be rebuilt and come to Oz....a big result for them

Second, top result, well deserved.

38 minutes ago, 44forty said:

Fark! Anyway to watch the yacht race further down the river ? 

Marine traffic.com

Without digging back a few pages, who’s the muppet who said Comanche and Infotrack should be cut up and tossed in the dumpster?

• Like 1

WOXI lost the race for LH  when they got caught up in the wind hole off the NSW south coast, that's sailing I guess.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ChristianSch said:

Halyard in front of the jib creates a nice turbulence. It would be interesting to calculate how much this turbulence effects the speed in upwind mode?

Comanch halyard.jpg

It's a Forestay.  Probably helps keep things moving by holding up the rig and sails...

• Like 2

Another ridiculously easy race for the first half of the fleet

Two retirements and looks like about 40 boats will finish inside 2 days 12 hours

On the AIS it t is a lot tighter between scally and WO than the tracker shows

Just now, The Dark Knight said:

better to follow on Marinetraffic. Less delay than the tracker

or the app boat watch  approx 30 sec delay

13 minutes ago, nq66 said:

finished half hour ago

Thanks. Took a break for lunch. Saw them on the tracker still, but they disappeared when it refreshed. Was hoping they indeed finished. What a great race they sailed.

Scally very close but still behind , split tack to try and get ahead at the finish

Screen Shot 2019-12-28 at 9.01.52 am.png

Screen Shot 2019-12-28 at 9.03.23 am.png

Looks like SW took third. No podium for Wo. 

So much for glancing at AIS.  Results show WO in 3rd.  Nice come back.

Edited by v92
Idiot

2 minutes ago, v92 said:

Looks like SW took third. No podium for Wo.

Dude.....no, the live-stream showing the opposite is like 3 comments above yours

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Quagers said:

Dude.....no, the live-stream showing the opposite is like 3 comments above yours

Apologies. I was looking at AIS and my guesstimate of the line was wrong. Looked like they had WO by at least four pixels.

1 hour ago, Monkey said:

Without digging back a few pages, who’s the muppet who said Comanche and Infotrack should be cut up and tossed in the dumpster?

More surgery or new brains trust for WO? 

image.png.f20ddf865dfcc8e190590398f1f6bf10.png

Most of the fleet still in Bass Straight...  24 knot northerly out wide, 2 knots in close... 

8 minutes ago, FinnFish said:

Not their conditions this year and they were simply out-sailed.

20 minutes ago, FinnFish said:

Depends who sailed them into the worst part of the hole I guess. 

Fantastic Footage and Summary of the 100 footers on ABC24 News at 10am

should be able to replay from Iview

1 hour ago, Monkey said:

Horses for courses. 

1 hour ago, Rainbow Spirit said:

WOXI lost the race for LH  when they got caught up in the wind hole off the NSW south coast, that's sailing I guess.

And we all thought it was about Richo’s hair getting out of place. 

41 minutes ago, FinnFish said:

Shutting Richo up and not over ruling the brains trust would be a start. 

1 hour ago, trt131 said:

Papsmear, you must be so butthurt with the finish for third.

Correct, I haven't been this butthurt since that time you dildoed me when I was fucking your little sister.

40 minutes ago, lydia said:

Interesting to look at the crew lists of the four boats

Easy link?? 

6 minutes ago, paps49 said:

Correct, I haven't been this butthurt since that time you dildoed me when I was fucking your little sister.

You need some help! And quite possibly medically if you throw that line around. 
A baseball wrapped in barbed wire is truly deserving of that so called joke. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, mad said:

You need some help! 

That's what he said at the time but it was more like a question.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, paps49 said:

That's what he said at the time but it was more like a question.

Grow up. 

4 minutes ago, Monkey said:

And the two fat bottomed horses did just fine. 

Exactly, it was their day for it.  

7 minutes ago, mad said:

Exactly, it was their day for it.  

I still haven’t looked back. Were you the dumbass who said they were dumpster fodder?  In no way am I implicating you, you just seem defensive. 

7 minutes ago, Monkey said:

I still haven’t looked back. Were you the dumbass who said they were dumpster fodder?  In no way am I implicating you, you just seem defensive. 

Not at all!!
I’m happy to see to see that the boats that haven’t chosen that corner of the rule/race course prove that they are still in the game.... and they’re doing it without throwing huge budgets at a one race a season campaign.  

edit, 

I think you’ve mistaken me for someone else. 

• Like 1

Feel sorry for Black Jack. Sailed well until the very end. A few unexplained tacks and out the back they go.

Also thought info track sailed very well. Excellent start, no mistakes and seemed to always keep moving while others had brief parkups.

Stan Honey is from another world.

Scally and Oats made the ends exciting. A little drama at the start, with more drama at the end.

Overall, so far it has been a fun race to follow.

And thank all of you folks too! You make this one of the better places to follow the race. Wish y'all a good new year.

Cheers,

~Varan

• Like 7

Nikki did a great job, and is going out later for more live streaming.

her viewer numbers shot up by 500 or so after I posted above, let’s give her some support, a real sailor who knows what she is talking about.

Facebook, Adventures of a a Sailor Girl.

• Like 2

Great race again this year. But i don't know about that overselling of the race: Greatest Offshore race, most grueling Offshore race. I think for shorter races the Fastnet is on par regarding grueling and greatest, let alone the around world offshore races. Do they really need to oversell that much?

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, mad said:

Not at all!!
I’m happy to see to see that the boats that haven’t chosen that corner of the rule/race course prove that they are still in the game.... and they’re doing it without throwing huge budgets at a one race a season campaign.  

edit, 

I think you’ve mistaken me for someone else. 

@ Mad,

t's just someting you can't comprehend,
But go ahead full steam ahead. just like Titanic. 
We can't possibly sink by being foolish.
Leonardo.png.058ac99e0d1639829b0c97cabeeaf5f8.png

He is going to die.

• Downvote 1

Looks like SW off Tasman Island so will be head winds for the boats off Tassie east coast. This will help the TP52s on handicap and make it difficult for the 40 footers behind 

1 hour ago, Varan said:

Stan Honey is from another world

Yeh think?  I went to a navigator seminar one time and he was the lead speaker. Unreal. 

The VPLP/Verdier rocket ship does it again. Congratulations, Comanche, InfoTrack and Wild Oats X1.

Screen Shot 2019-12-28 at 8.27.02 AM.png

15 minutes ago, trt131 said:

Mark Twain is owned by Michael Spies and he is racing on Katwincher.

She was entered in the race then advertised for charter for anyone who wanted race her in the S/H

Only 5 minutes corrected between Quest & Ichi Ban. I'm still not writing off a remarkable double hat trick for Bob Steel

Massive congratulations to Comanche they have 3 x Hobart Line Honours wins now. Very humble team and a family affair too. Kudos to Stan Honey he is undoubtedly a master in his profession. His positioning of the boat was aligned with their VPP chart and even though the Derwent tried to rob them once again the wind gods gave them the puff they needed to get home first. And a big wrap to Infotrack who have taken 2nd and would have won if it weren't for someone wider than them. Scallywag had their moments and great to see them fight back at the end after hitting a shark and having to drop their sails. The accolades have gone where they belong IMO. Who knows what lies ahead for these 3 boats? What will happen to team Scallywag and will Jim keep the boat or sell it? The fat girl has sung ..! 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Scallywag had their moments and great to see them fight back at the end after hitting a shark and having to drop their sails. 

Wait... really? They hit a shark and dropped the sails??

• Like 1