dachopper

Sydney to Hobart 2019

Recommended Posts

Hoppy, 

 

Come on mate it’s time to we get the ball rolling. Let’s make this happen. I’ve even added to my support for you to my signature from your. 

 

Lets see if we can get LB on board  as well and the others in the SA team. 

 

We are going to help you get your new Boat hoppy and this race is how it’s going to happen. 

 

Pulpit

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, pulpit said:

Hoppy, 

 

Come on mate it’s time to we get the ball rolling. Let’s make this happen. I’ve even added to my support for you to my signature from your. 

 

Lets see if we can get LB on board  as well and the others in the SA team. 

 

We are going to help you get your new Boat hoppy and this race is how it’s going to happen. 

 

Pulpit

 

 

Start up a Gofund me me page and if I get enough I'll enter......

If you, LB, Scanas and I all tick the box, we can start planning on an all Aboriginal and Torres Strait islander entry for the 75th.  Should not be hard to get a full crew of box tickers.

Maybe we can get government funding for the race.

If we are receiving centrelink payments whilst doing the race and we get Government funding for the boat, I guess we won't qualify for the Corinthian division.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, hoppy said:

Start up a Gofund me me page and if I get enough I'll enter......

If you, LB, Scanas and I all tick the box, we can start planning on an all Aboriginal and Torres Strait islander entry for the 75th.  Should not be hard to get a full crew of box tickers.

Maybe we can get government funding for the race.

If we are receiving centrelink payments whilst doing the race and we get Government funding for the boat, I guess we won't qualify for the Corinthian division.  

 

Maybe if we get Debra Mailman, Jessica Mauboy and Casey Donovan to crew Sandy will lend us WOX?

He does owe me a few favors after all...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, hoppy said:

Hoppy

  

Come on mate it’s time to we get the ball rolling. Let’s make this happen. I’ve even added to my support for you to my signature from your. 

 

Lets see if we can get LB on board  as well and the others in the SA team. 

 

We are going to help you get your new Boat hoppy and this race is how it’s going to happen. 

 

Pulpit

  

 

46 minutes ago, hoppy said:

Start up a Gofund me me page and if I get enough I'll enter......

If you, LB, Scanas and I all tick the box, we can start planning on an all Aboriginal and Torres Strait islander entry for the 75th.  Should not be hard to get a full crew of box tickers.

Maybe we can get government funding for the race.

If we are receiving centrelink payments whilst doing the race and we get Government funding for the boat, I guess we won't qualify for the Corinthian division.  

 

4 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Maybe if we get Debra Mailman, Jessica Mauboy and Casey Donovan to crew Sandy will lend us WOX?

He does owe me a few favors after all...

Well boy’s,

 

I think I can see a plan starting to hatch. 

We can still be Corinthian crew as just because you have a sponsors name and money on the boat doesn’t mean we are being paid.

 

Now LB, I can help with getting Casey Donovan, I’m told she is related and is a cousin a few times removed.

 

Anyway, I’ve just started a new topic for hoppy to get the funding for next years race and we don’t even need to be box tickers if it takes off.

 

pulpit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, pulpit said:

 

We can still be Corinthian crew as just because you have a sponsors name and money on the boat doesn’t mean we are being paid.

But if we are being paid by Centrelink and sponsored by the gov, that would make us pro sailors 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, hoppy said:

We can still be Corinthian crew as just because you have a sponsors name and money on the boat doesn’t mean we are being paid.

 

11 minutes ago, hoppy said:

But if we are being paid by Centrelink and sponsored by the gov, that would make us pro sailors 

Hoppy, 

if aren’t paid to sail, we are still not pro’s even if we are sponsored. 

 

Its how you look at it, you sail for free and the owner pays for all your costs, even your bar tab. So you are still a Corinthian crew. 

 

Pulpit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, hoppy said:

But if we are being paid by Centrelink and sponsored by the gov, that would make us pro sailors 

Typical Hoppy, finding excuses already.

Pulpit goes out of his way to help you and you find problems.

Harden up Hoppy

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DtM said:

Typical Hoppy, finding excuses already.

Pulpit goes out of his way to help you and you find problems.

Harden up Hoppy

No, not an excuse. Just highlighting that we probably can't go for 3rd in the Corinthian division. 3rd in PHS, IRC or ORCi can still be aimed for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Luketougas1 said:

Hopefully, CQS and Rambler will do the race next year

 where the hell were they this year?!

Rambler was probably resting after a busy year whilst CQS was hiding from anything bigger than 60 ft

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/13/2019 at 6:12 PM, LB 15 said:
On 1/10/2019 at 3:01 AM, Next Level said:

Anyone know of a S38 / first 40 or similar available for the 75th? I’ve been doing a little bit of digging but haven’t gotten very far as yet...

PM Lydia and get your check book out. You may as well buy a S38 as the charter fee would be about half the purchase price and you still got to deliver it back

Hoppy has his finger on pulse of the second hand 40/50 foot range in Oz, give him a call

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/13/2019 at 9:11 PM, LB 15 said:

Maybe he is just young- you know the old saying, hire people younger than 25 - you get them cheaply whilst they still know everything.

And look at me now!! I’m a fucking genius   :lol:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, LB 15 said:

7AM

Image result for FAT GIRLS WALKING IN LYCRA

6AM

Image result for women walking

5AM 

Image result for HOT girls jogging

4 AM

Related image

The walk of shame 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, mad said:

Hoppy has his finger on pulse of the second hand 40/50 foot range in Oz, give him a call

Not a good time for to be looking for a S38 ATM. Phoenix, the 2015, 2016 & 2018 championship boat just sold, leaving only one on the market. There is also a S41 Electra still for sale up LB's neck of the woods.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mad said:

The walk of shame 

Or the 'Stride of pride'. Either way well played by him for getting her out the door before dawn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/10/2019 at 1:01 PM, Next Level said:

Anyone know of a S38 / first 40 or similar available for the 75th? I’ve been doing a little bit of digging but haven’t gotten very far as yet...

I have two First 40s available

Both the right price. One Carbon rig, one alloy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, newbiesporty said:

I have two First 40s available

Both the right price. One Carbon rig, one alloy.

He wants to charter mate not buy. Good luck with that. Oh and buy a fucking ad!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, newbiesporty said:

I apologise for the offence that you took

It will pass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, newbiesporty said:

Hmm,

You said charter... he didn't but regardless, I apologise for the offence that you took

 

I definately said charter up above.

Can you still help me?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/10/2019 at 2:01 PM, Next Level said:

Anyone know of a S38 / first 40 or similar available for the 75th? I’ve been doing a little bit of digging but haven’t gotten very far as yet...

You could get some extra people and charter a Volvo 70..... I know a competitive one that could be available.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 75th.

The anniversary editions always attracted a good small boat fleet.

What's the smallest yacht that you've done a hobart on? 

Leads into the what's the smallest yacht that you would do the 75th on?

Could be a good year for under 40fters

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did it on our family's Swanson 36 - Sequel...with my Dad....and my best mate....when I was very young! Arrived in Hobart at sunrise...on New Years Day!!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A Cole 35. Nasty. Perro and the boys started one on Scampi-A. She was 28ft 8 ins loa. from memory but they retired with a broken boom. The smallest I believe is Klinger one of Bruce Farrs first boats. She was less than 27 foot LOA. Tim Cassidy owned it and they got knocked down so far all the winch handles slid out. ‘82 maybe?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Klinger was the smallest, hot little rocket in its day with its bilious green paint job.  

Spiesy did it in a modified Triton 28 at some stage too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Flatbag said:

Klinger was the smallest, hot little rocket in its day with its bilious green paint job.   

Pretty sure it was Klinger that had the super spartan interior....camp stretchers bungy corded to frames (absolutely non-functional), a bucket and an esky....the mast section looked like it was off an FD or Sharpie... Given that this was OK for a Hobart back in the day,  explains why numbers are down today.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Couta said:

Pretty sure it was Klinger that had the super spartan interior....camp stretchers bungy corded to frames (absolutely non-functional), a bucket and an esky....the mast section looked like it was off an FD or Sharpie... Given that this was OK for a Hobart back in the day,  explains why numbers are down today.

Yeah that's pretty much it. I did a B2G and a lot of deliveries on her back before I knew better. Tim told everyone that the water tank was an old Messerschmitt fuel tank. I don't know if it was true but it tasted like shit. And all they fucking ate was tongue sandwiches and neat rum. Old Bruce sure knew how to make boats go quick even back then. We had a lot of fun on her. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Couta said:

Pretty sure it was Klinger that had the super spartan interior....camp stretchers bungy corded to frames (absolutely non-functional), a bucket and an esky....the mast section looked like it was off an FD or Sharpie... Given that this was OK for a Hobart back in the day,  explains why numbers are down today.

Here you go Couta. She was at SYC for many years, last owned by the late Peter Bolton. I understand his son moved the boat elsewhere after Peters passing maybe 5 years ago now so I don't know where she is these days. Great litle boat with a ton of history, I remember seeing her at CYCA after Mike Sharp had delivered her there, she was all green in those days, possibly mid 70s? I have a pic somewhere from that time but these are more recent from her days at Sandringham where she was still a handy club racer. 

452662304_Farr27Klingeroow.thumb.JPG.cb4691536ddccdc9a565721f2702b72f.JPG304141699_Farr27Klinger.thumb.JPG.bb6e736c2d2f8e38eb16a3e45f0ceb01.JPG

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SportsCar, your personal library of historic Australian boat images is a total treasure - I sincerely hope it's all digitised & securely backed up for posterity!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Couta said:

SportsCar, your personal library of historic Australian boat images is a total treasure - I sincerely hope it's all digitised & securely backed up for posterity!

Couta I file my images in the finest collection of old Sperry Topsider shoe boxes you've ever seen. Bugger this Cloud bullshit, they could get wet!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Couta said:

SportsCar, your personal library of historic Australian boat images is a total treasure - I sincerely hope it's all digitised & securely backed up for posterity!

And you thought I was kidding? We do have the very latest security measures in place - none shall pass!

421104162_ImageFilesSecurity.thumb.JPG.de66ac8ea2b054ad4be30fc7d25c2981.JPG

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^^ Hey SportsCar... a cat sailor? I thort you were a sea dog mono man!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most male sailors I know are partial to some pussy Couta :o

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 10:35 PM, Feilberg said:

Eastsail

I think Mayfair (Beneteau First 40) could be purchased and race ready..... (based in Brisbane but could still be in Hobart afaik?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting to see the CYCA raising the issue of accommodating foiling mono's in future to races to ensure the race is at the forefront of development. Does make you wonder whether they have ever heard of multihulls?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

and so it begins again .....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DtM said:

and so it begins again .....

Cool .... sounds like we're a goer this year.....?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been working on the port hull to make sure it is ready to go.

Other than trying to sell your hull (and mine) what are you doing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/24/2019 at 1:53 AM, Feilberg said:

The 75th.

The anniversary editions always attracted a good small boat fleet.

What's the smallest yacht that you've done a hobart on? 

Leads into the what's the smallest yacht that you would do the 75th on?

Could be a good year for under 40fters

Mumm 30

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/4/2019 at 8:01 PM, psyclone said:

I think Mayfair (Beneteau First 40) could be purchased and race ready..... (based in Brisbane but could still be in Hobart afaik?)

There may be a very cheap 40.7 beachball there called Beachball that might be going up on the auction block. Will need a bit of work. :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

There may be a very cheap 40.7 beachball there called Beachball that might be going up on the auction block. Will need a bit of work. :-)

When is this happening?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/23/2019 at 1:49 PM, paulewill said:

Mumm 30

Would you do it again on a f30?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great thread! Just a few questions about this year’s edition: 

1. Will multis be allowed in this time? 

2. Any update about the weather? 

3. Will Mr. Richards obviously break a rule and then try to explain it all away in the most arrogant and idiotic way only to make himself look like a pompous cheating dickhead? 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/11/2019 at 12:36 PM, 10thTonner said:

Great thread! Just a few questions about this year’s edition: 

1. Will multis be allowed in this time? 

2. Any update about the weather? 

3. Will Mr. Richards obviously break a rule and then try to explain it all away in the most arrogant and idiotic way only to make himself look like a pompous cheating dickhead? 

 

Probably. To the last one. And about the weather. Probably about that too. 

 

~him

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, duncan (the other one) said:

LOA or LWL?

Coupla times bouncing on the LWL limit (24ft)

 

Narrows it down to a half-tonner or an S & S 34?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, duncan (the other one) said:

I reckon I must be certifiable -- most of my rides have been 34 footers.

Which 34 footers Duncan?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You are right, certifiable.

Never been on anything under 40 feet and now applying the age plus 10 feet (that used to be the rule) it would have to be 72 !!!!!   Kind of limits the choices.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, duncan (the other one) said:

Impeccable (Peterson 3/4 tonner) and Azzurro (S&S 34)

Back row just off the bow of the white motor boat. Impeccable in Hobart Jan 1 1982 after her first Hobart?

 

Constitution Dock Jan 1 1982.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, SPORTSCAR said:

Back row just off the bow of the white motor boat. Impeccable in Hobart Jan 1 1982 after her first Hobart?

 

Constitution Dock Jan 1 1982.jpg

Yup. That's her. Pretty distinctive stern and speed-stripe paint job. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The mighty rotbox.. 2000.  Somewhere off the Tassie coast.. so cold we were rotating helm every 30-min to keep warm.. that guy in the stern may not be helping speed too much, but he's trying to defrost.

 

Impeccable_642SH00.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back in 72 we where doing 10 mins upstairs with the stove going flat tack downstairs.....snow on Mt Wellington.....bloody cold going across Storm Bay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suppose it is always warm downstairs on a 100 footer given the engine is running all the time

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, duncan (the other one) said:

The mighty rotbox.. 2000.  Somewhere off the Tassie coast.. so cold we were rotating helm every 30-min to keep warm.. that guy in the stern may not be helping speed too much, but he's trying to defrost.

Where did the rotbox end up post John's passing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DickDastardly said:

Where did the rotbox end up post John's passing?

AFAIK - its still floating on a mooring off Fig Tree Point.  Was being taken out by his son and some of the old crew every now and then, but is slowing meeting its maker. Lack of ventilation or regular salt-water baths have the deck and cabin slowly succumbing to rot.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, duncan (the other one) said:

AFAIK - its still floating on a mooring off Fig Tree Point.  Was being taken out by his son and some of the old crew every now and then, but is slowing meeting its maker. Lack of ventilation or regular salt-water baths have the deck and cabin slowly succumbing to rot.

 

That’s a shame. It’s part of the Hobart race history after so many races.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/19/2019 at 10:58 AM, duncan (the other one) said:

The mighty rotbox.. 2000.  Somewhere off the Tassie coast.. so cold we were rotating helm every 30-min to keep warm.. that guy in the stern may not be helping speed too much, but he's trying to defrost.

 

Impeccable_642SH00.jpg

 

22 hours ago, SloopJohnB said:

Back in 72 we where doing 10 mins upstairs with the stove going flat tack downstairs.....snow on Mt Wellington.....bloody cold going across Storm Bay.

Luxury..... back in my day.......................................................................................................

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/19/2019 at 12:10 PM, SloopJohnB said:

Back in 72 we where doing 10 mins upstairs with the stove going flat tack downstairs.....snow on Mt Wellington.....bloody cold going across Storm Bay.

May have been the same year - we had a  gimballed gas lantern running 24 hours at the galley - a small circle of deckhead above the lamp was the only spot that didn't have ice!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 11:16 PM, SPORTSCAR said:

Here you go Couta. She was at SYC for many years, last owned by the late Peter Bolton. I understand his son moved the boat elsewhere after Peters passing maybe 5 years ago now so I don't know where she is these days. Great litle boat with a ton of history, I remember seeing her at CYCA after Mike Sharp had delivered her there, she was all green in those days, possibly mid 70s? I have a pic somewhere from that time but these are more recent from her days at Sandringham where she was still a handy club racer. 

452662304_Farr27Klingeroow.thumb.JPG.cb4691536ddccdc9a565721f2702b72f.JPG304141699_Farr27Klinger.thumb.JPG.bb6e736c2d2f8e38eb16a3e45f0ceb01.JPG

So for a Klinger segway, Tim Cassidy who owned Klinger is a good age now and he has the S&S Hestia class "Tamboo" stripped down in his back yard.

He admits it is bit beyond him now but is a cracker restoration for someone.

Sporty, you there!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lydia said:

So for a Klinger segway, Tim Cassidy who owned Klinger is a good age now and he has the S&S Hestia class "Tamboo" stripped down in his back yard.

He admits it is bit beyond him now but is a cracker restoration for someone.

Sporty, you there!

Yep, I will letRobert Green know about this. Robert is the surviving son of the late Bob Green who had Tamboo built. Bob was Melbourne’s IOR Measurer back in the day. There’s a half model of Tamboo on the model wall at Sandringham Y C. 

Lydia, now that you have completed such a great resto on Defiance, you would be the ideal operator to take on another timber S&S refit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sporty, it is still in great nick even though stripped as Tim has stored it well.

Gary Stewart did great work.

Stem needs work to refasten and all the caulking it out so time to spline it but apart from some deck repairs near the bow it has a newish Yanmar and new rigging.

Still launch original inside thank goodness.

I was already into Defiance when I heard about it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/23/2019 at 12:49 PM, paulewill said:

Mumm 30

FUCK THAT

 

You couldn't pay me to go to Hobart on one of those

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SloopJohnB said:

The group, comprised of Andrew Buckland, Fred Barrett, Simon Grosser, Lindsay Stead and Brett van Munster has significant experience in designing, engineering, building and campaigning across high performance racing in all forms.

The group has funded the design costs to date, anticipating the evolution of the rating and regulatory framework to enable participation.

 

Sounds like a big punt to be taking.. Mr Kite Jnr  ?

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, duncan (the other one) said:

The group, comprised of Andrew Buckland, Fred Barrett, Simon Grosser, Lindsay Stead and Brett van Munster has significant experience in designing, engineering, building and campaigning across high performance racing in all forms.

The group has funded the design costs to date, anticipating the evolution of the rating and regulatory framework to enable participation.

 

Sounds like a big punt to be taking.. Mr Kite Jnr  ?

 

Yes, I clicked on the link before I read your post and thought ... "Mr Kite redux" 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jack, you got it.

But with rudder foils, so it actually gets some 95% to 100% separation.

Not aiming for height though, kinda skimming with (say) less than 1m height at vmax in flat water.

We neglected to send out rudder foil pics so attached is V1 pressure distribution and foil geometry.

Anyhow, all sensible ? answered here!

Cheers

AB

Rudder Tfoil.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the money is there, how long will it take to go from design to the water? 2019 feels ambitious, but I have no idea.

It would certainly be interesting to see it racing in record breaking conditions.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheUltimateSockPuppet said:

Interesting. I can see one of these sitting on a handstand berth in Brisbane in the not too distant future.

Shouldn’t you be starting a Brisbane to Gladstone thread? Only 20 odd sleeps to go before the blue water classic in fresh to frightening southeast trade winds kicks off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, greasy al said:

Shouldn’t you be starting a Brisbane to Gladstone thread? Only 20 odd sleeps to go before the blue water classic in fresh to frightening southeast trade winds kicks off.

From the mud flats of Moreton Bay to the shitpipe into Happyrock

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually where is the thread for the ultimate test of one’s offshore manlihood Brisbane Royal Rumblers to the island owned by a wine company race which is being run in competition to their own Pineapple Classic - a race that @LB 15 has made his own over the years taking home numerous 3rd in PHS trophies?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Serious question -- does roll contribute significantly to directional instability ?  I can see that a big heeling event with lifting rudder may push the stern around if the AOA is wrong (eg: you've just launched off a quartering sea).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/27/2019 at 5:04 PM, jack_sparrow said:

A 50' cut down version of the crewed (5) IMOCA 60' variant for the RTW Ocean Race (ex VOR).

 

13 hours ago, Andrew Buckland said:

Jack, you got it.

But with rudder foils, so it actually gets some 95% to 100% separation.

Not aiming for height though, kinda skimming with (say) less than 1m height at vmax in flat water.

We neglected to send out rudder foil pics so attached is V1 pressure distribution and foil geometry.

Anyhow, all sensible ? answered here!

Cheers

AB

Rudder Tfoil.png

Andrew one of the problems with taking a short handed boat like a foiling IMOCA 60 and making it crewed (6 including a OBR) is the extra load that imposes and accommodation space (incl persons and gear for 3 week long legs) required.

Do you have a optimum crew number in mind for a 650 mile crewed sprint with only a couple of sleeps?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 1:40 PM, jack_sparrow said:

Hoppy you can burn up $30K pretty quickly on a 40 footer that is in good order just to turn up and get home, and more the further afield home is.  @SCANAS would be able to provide a reliable figure for a QLD boat.

Oh Yes Jack, completely true, throw in a couple (in our case 3) decent new sails and the figure rockets up. OK she is a 50 not a 40 but even so.

And do they ever wonder why there are not many foreign boats? Flying in the crew, flying them back from Hobart and then home then shipping the boat from Oz to anywhere costs an arm and a leg if you can find someone reliable - our first go with that was an unhappy experience then a 2nd party stepped in and sorted it all within 10 days.

Big hole in the bank balance by the time it was all over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jack, you got it.

But with rudder foils, so it actually gets some 95% to 100% separation.

Not aiming for height though, kinda skimming with (say) less than 1m height at vmax in flat water.

We neglected to send out rudder foil pics so attached is V1 pressure distribution and foil geometry.

Anyhow, all sensible ? answered here!

Cheers

AB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With electric winches we would do Hobart with 7 or 8, all reflected in loaded disp, vpp etc.

The RM numbers are very high once the foil starts functioning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Duncan,

It appears that the foiler should have less issues with those mongrel quartering seas that somehow turn up each year, than a displacement or planing hull.

Still more $ to fork out for the rough water cfd work though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Found this for those that are interested. 

https://youtu.be/WOXuOjQy9dA

Shame they couldn’t shut the guy up using the table/Skil saw in the background. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, mad said:

Found this for those that are interested. 

https://youtu.be/WOXuOjQy9dA

Shame they couldn’t shut the guy up using the table/Skil saw in the background. :P

Yeah a bit unlucky with the noise. I for one would love to see this project get up. I think it's a matter of time. If you can see foilers sail around the world why not the Hobart? Perhaps someone could buy Hugo Boss too and bring it down. Good luck Andrew.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/29/2019 at 3:09 PM, Andrew Buckland said:

It appears that the foiler should have less issues with those mongrel quartering seas that somehow turn up each year, than a displacement or planing hull.

Interestingly Andrew in that interview with Geoffrey, you said foiling IMOCA 60 VPP (no T rudders) overlaid on last S2H that didn't have that shitty sea state (that flat water actually causing the skinny and fat 100's to bunch up) and a soft patch east of Tassie, it still had a current generation foiling 60 beating 100's to the line. That translates into a shitty sea state your T ruddered 50' capable of doing the same thing and at price of a 100' wardrobe. That made laugh and a few 100' owners cry no doubt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In negotiations with CYCA regards eligibility, we may be heading south this year.

Wish me luck.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites